KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of Huntsworth
Is this your company?

Grayling

Add a Review

Grayling Employee Reviews about "pr"

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 8 of over 165 reviews

4.1
Grayling CEO Committee Loretta Ahmed, Sarah Scholefield, and Jan Simunek (no image)
Loretta Ahmed, Sarah Scholefield, and Jan Simunek
Pros
  • "Work from home Fridays is nice to avoid the toxic environment of the office(in 14 reviews)

• "Great place to work and learn and also work life balance is good cares about employees wellbeing(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Senior management turns a blind eye to the extremely high turnover rates (over 10 account servicing staff have left within a year)(in 10 reviews)

• "Team spirit (between the PA and PR team)(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Consulting

Join the conversation on

Consulting

1y

works at

Deloitte

Harshest feedback you’ve ever received?

6,965

Former Employee, less than 1 year

Entirely Tactical PR Shop

May 28, 2013 - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexibility, including working from home at least one day and week and closed for the week between Christmas and New Year's - Great opportunity to build technology reporter relationships - You do not have to record and enter time at this agency

Cons

The work is entirely tactical and not at all strategic. The firm represents its success to clients in the number of stories placed and so the day to day is composed almost entirely of pitching. At one point I was told that the expectation was that I would come up with and push out two proactive pitches a week per client if they did not have news to announce - it was very alienating for my reporter contacts and personally stressful for me to constantly be coming up with pitches with no news or new content. Further, clients are encouraged to take any interview secured, regardless of whether the publication or topic is beneficial to the client's business ROI (and without regard to whether there's a potential risk in giving the interview). Last, the digital department is not at all integrated with the PR teams and there is no opportunity to plan and carry out integrated outreach campaigns, events, online activations or really anything that deviates from smile and dial traditional media outreach activities - it's clear that the founders do not come from a PR background and don't have a robust understanding of the services that other firms offer. As an employee, the work is not challenging or engaging on an intellectual level.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

My office is fine, but the rest of the network of the network needs serious improvement.

Apr 8, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great perks (WFH Fridays, unlimited PTO, cell phone subsidy, ability to work out of other offices). Pay seems to be on par with other agencies.

Cons

No sense of a true "network." Each office operates independently of each other. Not only are they generally unwilling to collaborate, there's been an instance where one office undermined another to steal a client. Leadership is unstable and turnover is fairly high overall. Save for a few, most clients are small and unknown to the general public. The lack of set billable hours means accounts are consistently over serviced and often require crazy workload. Tech infrastructure for a tech PR firm is a joke. This company is generally full of "yes" men and women who are driven by money and essentially do whatever the client wants, even if it's not strategic.

8 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Terribly managed company run by sharks who will cut you out the moment you serve your purpose.

Mar 15, 2015 - Assistant Account Associate in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best things about working here? Grayling offers some seriously particular set of professional standards about decorum. These are not skills to underestimate, as a job in PR is a job in creating an image. I do respect that.

Cons

Grayling lied throughout the hiring process. The job I received was not the job I ended up doing, and the people who worked at the company were cut throat and ruthless. There is no graciousness, acknowledgement of a job well done, or training. They throw you in expecting you to pull the skill sets out of nowhere. Associates will throw you under the bus the second they get a chance, and unless you want to work for a company where you're constantly on-call to deal with the needs of malicious senior management, I would avoid working with Grayling. Be signed on with a set of job expectations, and immediately learn that those skills are useless and you must focus your attention on menial tasks. Grayling, more than any other firm I've since worked for, is award obsessed. Be prepared to waste time attempting to earn awards for pathetic campaigns lacking innovation. Be prepared to do backwater PR and get ready to "smile and dial" for some old school phone calling media. You know, because ever reporter in tech LOVES getting a phone call to be annoyingly begged to cover a second rate product they don't care about. Don't get creative with your outreach, as the general work of the firm at this time was as bread-and-butter (and obnoxious to media) as you can get. Apparently many of the problem sources have since moved on, so YMMV, but I would avoid Grayling and cut your teeth at another company who will bother to train you and work as a team. Poisonous company with poisonous leadership.

9 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Contractor

Absolutely brilliant people but no sufficient training

Jan 22, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are amazing and very understand about the importance of employee wellbeing. Always willing to help!

Cons

- Very much hit the ground running. Lots on training incorporated into the company but very much participate if you have time rather than being an overriding priority - Fantastic for someone who loves PR and doesn't mind working long hours but you need to make sure you're 100% invested in what you're doing. Otherwise it's a lot of hard work and stress for not a lot in return (at the start of your career at least)

5. 3.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Good first exposure to Public Affairs

May 22, 2020 - PA Trainee in Prague
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of the few PA agencies in Prague

Cons

Team spirit (between the PA and PR team)

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company and an exciting time to be part of the UK team

Mar 27, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting range of regional, national and global clients which is continuing to grow Huge range of talent in the business and a great place to learn – corporate, consumer, public affairs, digital and creative teams all work together to share expertise. Fun people to work with and an open/relaxed office atmosphere Everyone is approachable Flexible home working and flexi-time options help with my work/life balance Opportunity to work with international network and travel Great to have ‘Finish Early Fridays’ and Thursday drinks!

Cons

It’s unsurprising that as an agency the hours can occasionally be long, but the flexible working perks help make up for that. Generally, the hours stick to 9.00 - 18.00 and my colleagues and I rarely face PR horror stories! Although there was one particularly bad week in 2016….!

7. 4.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great Experience

Mar 16, 2016 - Intern in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learning public relations in a agency setting is really beneficial to anybody who would like to learn more about PR in a fast-paced environment with many accounts. Everybody was willing to teach the interns the ins and outs of the industry, and gave us a considerable amount of responsibility.

Cons

Because it is so fast-paced, sometimes tasks were not explained thoroughly enough, and we were left to wondering what they wanted us to do. Also some tasks became mundane, which is to be expected in any PR internship.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee

Fake office environment with few prospects

Dec 17, 2014 - Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

great clients and that's about it- the company culture leaves much to be desired

Cons

I worked at Grayling for just over 3 years as a Consultant in the Brands team. I mainly stayed because of the clients and the some of the great relationships that I had them. However, as the years went on the office environment became incredibly catty and I felt that I needed to get out. I now work for another agency who do normal hours (9-5) and I actually appreciate having a life outside the office!! In the Brands team I felt a pressure to work after my hours (9-6) - sometimes working until 8pm (!) which took a massive toll on my social life. Being a sociable person, I was also extremely surprised by the lack of social and team activities that were encouraged. There are hardly ever 'Friday drinks' - despite the promise of 'finishing at 4pm on a Friday'. Believe me - this never happens. There is also a very strange culture where at the end of the week staff nominate someone who they think have 'gone the extra mile'. Often, if you work hard and achieve great results and no one nominates you- it makes you feel rubbish and completely undervalued. The whole thing is a popularity contest encouraged by the senior management and forced upon the whole team who look visibly uncomfortable whenever the 'nominations' come around. I also felt very sorry for some of the junior staff who were treated very badly while I were there. They were told to write up media lists day after day- I can't see how this helps them further their careers in PR? Also not long before I left, two new junior staff members joined- one in particular some of the female management took an instant disliking to (made obvious by their catty and unprofessional remarks). She had not been there very long so I suspected it had to do with the fact that she was very confident and pretty. Luckily this happened after I handed in my notice - but it made it clearer in my mind that I was making the right decision. As with some of the reviews below - there are no 'benefits' that come with working at Grayling. You pay for everything yourself except from the weekly fruit. This is shameful when you think of the hours some of the staff work.

5 people found this review helpful