Grayling "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Grayling Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 30 Sep 2019

3.6
Grayling CEO Loretta Ahmed, Sarah Scholefield, and Jan Simunek (no image)
Loretta Ahmed, Sarah Scholefield, and Jan Simunek
Pros
  • "Work from home Fridays is nice to avoid the toxic environment of the office(in 14 reviews)

• "Great place to work and learn and also work life balance is good cares about employees wellbeing(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some senior management were out of their depth and hanging on to positions for their salaries instead of committing to continuous improvement(in 9 reviews)

• "As second in command to my colleague, no one could say I wasn't capable and that it didn't make sense(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Best Agency Workplace in Industry"

in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grayling

Pros

Flexible work environment, great work-life balance, very positive and friendly people; ability to take initiative in your career growth and your ideas are heard; team is open to new perspectives and new techniques and not stuck in outdated PR tactics like so many other competing agencies. No micromanagers, no pushy people. By far a better workplace environment than any other agency out there.

Cons

Very little downsides to working at the agency. Still developing its culture. Sky's the limit.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people, keep encouraging innovation, and encourage staff to take advantage of its great work-life balance.

Grayling2016-06-23

"a 3 sized pr agency"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Grayling full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good PTO and few recognized clients..

Cons

Horrible managing staff, the company has a toxic culture. where its no play and work 24*7. They can remove any employee at any point in time when the client leaves the agency. The company has a disgusting work -life balance. The pay is unbalanced based on gender.

Advice to Management

TAKE YOUR EMPLOYEE SERIOUSLY. LEARN TO RETAIN EMPLOYEES AND CLIENTS. THE UPPER MANAGEMENT THINKS THEY KNOW THE DRILL AND CAN DO PR BUT THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS AN ORGANIZATION THAT NEEEEEEEDDDDSSSS PEOPLE

Grayling2019-01-15

"Absolute misery"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Grayling full-time

Pros

The career growth opportunities at Grayling used to have tremendous appeal, as you were able to grow quickly based on performance. That has completely gone away as the company has struggled to maintain a consistent client roster and senior mentors within, with no budget for raises and promotions and zero incentives left for remaining employees. The only other perks were work from home Fridays for work/life... balance and flexibility, and unlimited vacation, but WFH Fridays no longer exist because management does not trust employees.

Cons

- Incredibly high rate of turnover, both for clients and employees - unstable - Terrible management - unprofessional and inappropriate, management does not know how to lead by example or take constructive feedback - Insane workloads due to understaffed accounts - Completely toxic culture filled with micro aggression from management - Below market pay and empty promises from management - spot bonuses based on... performance and salary audits/adjustments were promised numerous times, with zero follow-through

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look in the mirror when you ask yourself why your staff is so unhappy, rather than blaming external causes - then actually address the problems head on and provide real incentives for employees to stick around.

Grayling2017-06-30

"Avoid!"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Grayling full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home Fridays is nice to avoid the toxic environment of the office

Cons

No work/life balance, little appreciation for junior staff, lots of gossip, everyone is out for themselves, LOTS OF TURNOVER.

Grayling2017-04-09

"My time at Grayling was well spent"

Former Employee - Management

I worked at Grayling full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked at Grayling for several years and it was an overall positive experience for me. I left the company grateful for my time there and with lifelong connections both professionally and personally. Opportunity, growth and reward abound for those who are determined and play well in the sandbox with others. The majority of my Grayling colleagues (both on the front lines and in management) exhibited guts,... creativity, teamwork and a conscientious work ethic day in and day out. I gained continual growth opportunities and increased my knowledge and skills immensely. Grayling does more to promote work/life balance than any company I worked for in the past. The generous U.S. benefits package is unrivaled in the communications industry. It’s a good time to be at Grayling. New energy is emerging after a period of growing pains from expanding the U.S. region. Global leadership is ambitious, committed and connected like never before. More multi-market accounts are happening across all regions. My role kept me in the bigger picture each day where I could see the great things on the horizon for this organization.

Cons

The U.S. mergers over the past couple of years were tough in the couple of offices where local talent and leadership were merged. Whether you are the acquiring or the acquired, mergers could always go better. No doubt we could have done a better job in those offices. Consolidating and rolling out new processes and systems in large scale takes time and it is understandable that it can feel like things are not... moving fast enough if you are not involved in that process. From my vantage point and experience, the people who keep it productive and work respectfully with others are plentiful in Grayling’s 50+ offices.

Advice to Management

My advice is to everyone. Look for bright spots instead of shortcomings. Replicate the bright spots and ask how you can be a part of the solution where needed. Use the available resources to reach out and work with colleagues around your region and globally – the opportunities in this organization are limitless.

Grayling2015-09-25

"Unbounded growth for star players"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grayling full-time for more than a year

Pros

Grayling SF offers one of the purest meritocracies I’ve seen in my career. For entrepreneurial people who demonstrate passion, hard work and raw talent, growth is rapid and unbounded. Specific examples: Intern to Account Manager in 3 years, AAE to SAE in under one year. Unlike many organizations where promotions only come when someone above leaves, Grayling promotes frequently based purely on individual performance.... Additionally, Grayling has a family-friendly culture. Benefits such as unlimited vacation, work from home Fridays and a flexible work environment allow for greater work-life balance.

Cons

Following a merger and some office reconfigurations, Grayling is in a period of change. While that can be scary, it is also presents a unique opportunity to shape your own path, grow rapidly, and make a meaningful contribution to your team.

Advice to Management

Continue building synergies between global teams

Grayling2015-09-21

"On the path to success"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grayling full-time for more than a year

Pros

The past several months with Grayling San Francisco were tumultuous - due to the transition from Atomic to Grayling and a lackluster Managing Director who has since left - but it's allowed the team to recalibrate and forge a new path entirely our own. It's exciting to be part of a team that gets to rebuild the way we want to rebuild. The clients we target are entirely up to us and we get to implement our own ways of... tackling new business. Additionally, the current employees - across both the consumer and tech practices - are absolutely brilliant and driven. We not only focus on delivering really great results for our clients but we also are adamant about creating a workplace culture that everyone appreciates, whether it's scavenger hunts in our new neighborhood (we moved offices), breathing exercises with a local yogi or baking competitions. It really is an exciting time to be part of the Grayling San Francisco team. The world is our oyster. And, of course, we have incredible flexibility and a legitimate work/life balance. We work from home on Fridays (unless there is a client meeting) and have an unlimited vacation policy. We have nine Grayling locations in the US and can work from any of those offices at any time.

Cons

Previously, it felt like every team worked it its own silo and didn't share resources. The company has made a concerted effort to change that, including putting processes and training in place. We still have work to do but it's definitely moving in the right direction. Compensation is on par with the San Francisco market, but our bonus program has all but disappeared. It would be great to see that come back.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower and encourage the up and coming PR pros to forge their own path - whether it's leading trainings, attending conferences or networking in our backyard. Transparency was a challenge for a while but that has changed recently and I would encourage management to continue the trend of honesty and transparency with the entire team.

Grayling2015-03-13

"Going through a lot of changes"

I worked at Grayling

Pros

Passionate people, interesting clients and a good atmosphere

Cons

work life balance can be difficult

Grayling2015-01-27

"A wonderful place to work."

I worked at Grayling full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Atomic (soon to be Grayling) is a truly unique public relations agency where office politics are kept to a minimum and the focus is on producing quality results for clients. The company puts great trust in its employees which gives employees both flexibility with their work/life balance and the opportunity to be creative, knowing that the agency has their back. On multiple occasions, I've seen Andy Getsey show 100%... confidence in employees. Again, this is unique from other agencies as the approach to any issues that arise at Atomic is solution oriented, not a question of "where can we place the blame?" Atomic has a generous vacation policy and is welcome to having employees work from home. It's a wonderful place to learn and grow and a true family.

Cons

If you're not self-motivated or ready to work hard, this probably isn't the best company for you. Also, be prepared to make a strong case for yourself when it comes to promotions and raises - employees at Atomic often perform far beyond what their title would correlate to at another agency.

Advice to Management

Sometimes attention is dedicated to employees who are having a difficult time. Don't forget to pay attention to the super stars on the team, too!

Grayling2013-12-27
  10. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at Grayling full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work and learn and also work life balance is good cares about employees wellbeing.

Cons

Don't expect a salary review anytime

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for growth

Grayling2019-10-01