Great American Opportunities Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 6, 2018

3.8
Aaron Lynn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "That being said, this is not a "work from home" business" (in 5 reviews)

• "Amazing income potential with the BEST customer service in the industry" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you can't get yourself out the door and be self motivated, this is not for you" (in 4 reviews)

• "Management loves to cut in new people when a sales rep grows beyond a certain sales level" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Not for everyone, but it is for me!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Great American Opportunities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and make your own hours, I get to help teachers. there are bonuses and incentive trips on top of our commission. Great support from team and management. A lot of reps are share holders and are more than happy to help if you reach out. Even if you aren’t on their team! Very team oriented. GA frequently hires teachers and is willing to train teachers to learn sales skills. A lot of them are really successful! Work/life balance is GREAT if you are doing the job right. Some people get caught up with little things that aren’t necessary and end up eating into their weeknights and weekends! That’s not the way to last in the business though. You have a lot of independence in this job and that can be a GREAT thing or a bad thing as well. GA does a great job prioritizing family life, my manager wanted to meet my spouse as part of the interview process. I thought that was neat and different and now we are all good friends.

Cons

Must be self motivated, it’s simple job but you will get “no’s” from teachers so you must have THICK skin or be willing to grow calloused. You have to meet a lot of people and make a lot of calls. Ten people a day is expected when you start. Your business starts from zero your first year and grows exponentially afterward. A lot of new people who are successful are the ones who reach out to the veteran reps who are in management. The job can be counterintuitive so you gotta come into the company with open minds and ready to learn. Teachers hired by the company who were former customers do GREAT because they have to learn all their sales skills from GA.

2. "Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territiry Manager
    Current Employee - Territiry Manager

I have been working at Great American Opportunities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Great customer service

Cons

Management gives little direction, sink or swim mentality.

3. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Great American Opportunities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Primarily work for yourself
    Will be plenty of territories to be filled

Cons

Management structure is very poor. Managers run own territory and no time for help in the busy season and very little training other than a 3 day cram session in Nashville. They will pressure you for more sales as that is how they "earn" their salary as managers. Because of this territories are up for grabs at best and the managers scramble to pick up territory as it is more money in their pocket. Therefore, your territory is decided by who gets what as opposed to what makes sense and what is local to you as a rep. You may have to drive 3 hours to an appointment.

You are also responsible for covering prize costs and they will allocate money for such things but they can cut it and change your draw on a moments notice if they "feel" as though your sales may not meet expectations. Although mine was never cut I was threatened on occasion.

Company made several bad financial decisions in the past year and are now playing catch up as quickly as possible with raising prices, cutting commissions and slashing costs including some benefits. Couple that with major delivery issues and you find it very difficult to renew business. This does not even begin to mention the numerous representatives that were "overpaid" by accounting and then nearly a year later reps are being told to repay thousands of dollars that were overpaid and if not they will be sued. You have numerous reps now trapped and working for peanuts. Moral seems to be at all new low.

Lastly noted when I was hired the company went on and on how they are a Christian based family value company. However, when push came to shove they were cut throat and only chasing the dollars. FYI I increased my sales nearly every semester with the company and finally had enough of the "keep selling to make up for our financial mistakes" mentality. 10% commission is difficult to survive on.

Advice to Management

I have faith new management has the ability and potential to turn some of these issues around however it will take some drastic mid management overhaul and not sure they are up for that challenge or battle.

4. "Live Chat Rep"

I worked at Great American Opportunities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked for a well known client, adding international cell phone features for those traveling abroad. Learned a lot about the cell phone industry. Job was work from home. And it was pretty easy to earn $$ with adding the features once you became familiar with everything. Not sure if it's still set up that way though.

Cons

At the time, there were no slots for day-time hours & the impression was given that only those with seniority had the ability to request preferred shifts; other than that I would've remained.

"Like any other sales job"

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Nashville, TN

Pros

-Setting your own hours
    -No shortage of people to see

Cons

-A lot of learning on your own
    -Pricing and deliveries have hurt future business

"Fundraising Consultant"

Former Employee - Fundraising Consultant
    Former Employee - Fundraising Consultant

I worked at Great American Opportunities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to do literally what you please. There is no set schedule and very little guidance allowing you to swim or sink.

Cons

Poor management, and everything is a secret. If something is working in another area no sharing of information etc. Must employees aren't allowed to talk to other because of bad blood from mergers and acquisitions over the years. Hold commissions without you knowing until after you ask for your commissions. No compensation for gas or mileage on your car. Eexpect you to upfront everything and bill clients on back end.

Advice to Management

Take a look at what you are doing. Open up and realize managers aren't spending time with their teams cause they can't no time for them to run own territory and a team at same time.

May 23, 2018

Some great points made, along with some interesting accusations. There is a lot of freedom in this job, which is a positive thing for many of our employees that wanted to get away from an office... More

7. "Self Motivated"

Pros

The more you work, the more you earn. It is a relationship business. It really helps to know people.

Cons

The less you work, the less you earn. You need to surround yourself with people who are like minded. Easy to be lonely in this job.

Advice to Management

work, work, work and work some more.

8. "Great stay-at-home job"

Current Employee - Home Base Operator in Boyertown, PA
    Current Employee - Home Base Operator in Boyertown, PA

I have been working at Great American Opportunities part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to work from home and choose your own hours.

Cons

Sometimes the work flow may be sporadic or not as steady as other times. But overall, a nice supplement to my income.

Advice to Management

Thanks for your quick responses to my concerns and also any corrections that need to be made.

"Not Impressed"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Great American Opportunities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of flexibility
    Decent Commissions

Cons

Declining Sales and Products to Schools

Jan 11, 2018

Sadly throughout this country, school budgets continue to be cut while the schools strive to add more athletic teams and academic opportunities for their students. These "new" groups in the schools... More

"Tough Place to work"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Great American Opportunities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great customer service

Cons

"8,000" account is confusing, no expenses paid for, you pay for your sales materials (brochures), you pay for your own business cards, very little support from upper management, most schools getting away from selling junk, very low pay

Advice to Management

Kevin Hawley needs to go, clueless on how to run a company

Jan 11, 2018

We always hate to see someone leave with hard feelings. It is fair however to say that in a sales job built on relationships, someone staying less than a year might not have seen the full picture... More