Great Lakes Cheese Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dan Zagzebski

1. "Golden career oportunities!"

Former Employee - Case Packer in Manchester, TN
    Former Employee - Case Packer in Manchester, TN

I worked at Great Lakes Cheese full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefit package with self funded 401k and employer funded ESOP with approx 9% salary contribution yearly.

Cons

Some lower level management issues causeing frequent turnover among hourly employees. These issues recently corrected with hiring of new production supervisors.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees fairly. Investigate all complaints toward management staff and encourage honesty in all employees.

2. "I Love Where I Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hiram, OH

I have been working at Great Lakes Cheese full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Great Lakes Cheese, I feel valued. I feel like my opinions matter. Each and every day I am treated with respect, and that means a lot. The ESOP program is absolutely amazing. GLC offers other wonderful benefits such as 401(k), Medical, Dental, Vision, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Vacation, etc.

Cons

For the most part the staff is amazing, however, there are a few individuals who can be difficult to work with. Although the Hiram facility is huge, we are running out of space. It makes it very difficult to be organized when there isn't even space to seat new employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to work to keep the family feel of the company. I think it is so important that employees consider GLC a big family. That is hard to come by anymore.

3. "Internship at Great Lakes Cheese"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hiram, OH

I have been working at Great Lakes Cheese (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Great Lakes Cheese has provided me a lot of beneficial work experience. I have learned so much about the industry in the 3 months I have spent here. The work atmosphere is great, and I am always working on a different project.

Cons

Trying to think of a con is honestly difficult. I would say the only negative thing about working at the Hiram facility is the location, although downtown Cleveland is not too far.

5. "Great Company- Excellent Values"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth, WI

I have been working at Great Lakes Cheese full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The open door policy is critical and really makes folks feel comfortable knowing they can go to their plant manager with any concerns. When the management team is in town, they do a great job making their way around to say hello to the employees they may not always see. The ESOP is second to non. The family-feel environment is something not all companies have.

Cons

The hours can be long. Around the holidays, production workers could work 7 days a week. Sometimes plant employees will spend more time with their co-workers than they do families. Also, because we are growing (which is a huge pro), the stress levels are high trying to meet customer orders and expectations. Sometimes it can be very overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Remain a privately held company. The values in which Great Lakes was found on are like non other. Employees want to be heard- give them a chance to express their concerns. Sometimes I think the concerns of some of the hourly employees go overlooked.

6. "Not what they first appear to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seymour, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seymour, WI

I worked at Great Lakes Cheese (More than 3 years)

Pros

-If you are desperate for a job then look no further because the revolving door is always open.
    -They do offer a basic benefits package.
    - They do offer a retirement plan.

Cons

- Strict zero tolerance attendance policy that if strictly followed will eventually have the average employee eligible for termination after a few years.
    - Management will fight to maintain the current way things are done so they can continue their lazy management style.
    - They expect you to give the rest of your working life to them at comparatively low wages for a cheese plant so that you can potentially have a chance at a large retirement payout.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words. You can say that you care and appreciate your employees till your blue in the face, but when you are constantly late to work, take long lunches, procrastinate on long projects,quickly try to hide faults before a tour comes through, and come up with flimsy excuses to leave early on a regular basis it shows that you have no real love for the plant or the product you put out.

7. "Truly Like Family"

I have been working at Great Lakes Cheese full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Epprecht Family has done a tremendous job keeping the "old-world" feel within this organization. Management cares about their employees. We have tremendous benefits, a successful ESOP program, and an organization that works together like a family. You are treated with respect and your opinions are valued.

Cons

There are certainly times where everyone is under a lot of pressure to try and meet the needs of a customer. From the production floor, to the main offices, the GLC team collaborates to do whatever it takes to get the job done. It can be very stressful, however, very rewarding. Organization isn't always there which can be difficult at times.

Advice to Management

Ask for more employee feedback from all ends of the spectrum.

8. "Great Paying Company. Lots of overtime. Constantly reinvesting."

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Great Lakes Cheese full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great paying company. Some of the highest wages you can make within the La Crosse region. You really don't have to worry about being laid off, the hard part is getting time off since they are as incredibly busy as they are. As a maintenance technician all of your tools are provided and if you require special tools for a job, they are willing to purchase them as long as they know they will be used or an employee is safer because of the tooling. They definitely are not afraid to spend money, we are currently going through the second expansion since I've been here in less than two years.

Cons

Some older equipment that should have been changed out years ago. It is starting to become what I call an office run company, where all decisions and ideas come from people who work in the office but have little understanding of their equipment, processes, or problems and how to solve them. Another con is the lack of time off. We have had people working seven days a week for several months straight.

9. "Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hiram, OH

I have been working at Great Lakes Cheese full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Family company feel
    - Good pay
    - A lot of autonomy in your role (at least it the office)
    - Stays busy

This is a great place to work. If you're willing to work hard and learn, you can easily succeed here. This isn't some J.O.B where you put in your hours and then leave work at the door. This is (for me at least) a career and it's expected that you treat it like one. With that being said, if you're willing to put the time and effort in, the rewards are definitely there and the culture is a great one to be a part of. Management does not micromanage, and it feels much more like a team effort as opposed to a boss shouting orders out to you.

Cons

- Some plants are very remote if you need to travel
    - Workload can come in big waves

Workload can vary depending on what exactly the company is going through. This drives your workload to come in "waves". Some months I have a pretty consistent schedule of what I need to do and other months it seems like plate is always full and I have a hard time getting anything done. But this is to be expected with a business that operates on consumer demand. Need to be able to multitask and stay organized.

10. "Plesant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hiram, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hiram, OH

I worked at Great Lakes Cheese full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work for and learn for.

Cons

Lack direction and assistance when needed sometimes.

11. "Alot of favoritism... Some people work there hard and get no recognition but if ur in good with supervisors ur good!"

Current Employee - Operator in Manchester, TN
    Current Employee - Operator in Manchester, TN

I have been working at Great Lakes Cheese full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's good pay and the the ESOP program is nice that's about it!

Cons

Favoritism, don't recognize the people who actually work hard and the ones who don't do nothing get all the recognition! Unfair!!