Great Oaks Charter School Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • I love the small community feel and how close-knit individuals are which reminds me of home (in 3 reviews)

• The people you work with will all be very passionate and hard working (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult work-life balance - may have to take work home (in 7 reviews)

• The long hours and small stipend of the tutor corps make the year a very difficult one (in 9 reviews)

1. "Urban Education Fellow"

I worked at Great Oaks Charter School full-time

Pros

I love the kids. They were my babies. They were the reason I was exhausted but also the source of my happiness. To see them succeed, it means the world.

Cons

It was really unorganized. It was a new building and the staff kept on leaving.

"Tutor"

I have been working at Great Oaks Charter School full-time

Pros

They value your feedback and concerns.

Cons

Higher expectations than the job description.

"Tutor Core Member"

Current Employee - Great Oaks Tutor Core Member in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Great Oaks Tutor Core Member in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Great Oaks Charter School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced and upbeat environment to work in! I have a unique opportunity to spend a year working with great kids! The living space GO Wil provides is excellent!

Cons

Can be a bit overwhelming at times because I did not study education and have a lot to catch up on! Wish I knew a bit more about the curriculum and had a bit more training in it.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial to give more curriculum training to the tutors! I learned a lot in professional development about controlling the behavior of a full classroom but think time would have been better spent learning about creating lesson plans.

5. "Tutor Corps Member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Great Oaks Charter School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with will all be very passionate and hard working. If you're a tutor and want to stay after your year, there are opportunities to move up.

Cons

Insanely long hours, huge work load, and a lot of pressure from other staff members. As tutor corps members, your contributions and the time you put in are not always valued or respected.

Advice to Management

Value all of your employees, and not just through lip service. Everyone works hard and is trying to do there best to make a difference for the students.

"Tutor Corps Fellow, Newark,NJ"

Current Employee - Tutor in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Tutor in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Great Oaks Charter School full-time

Pros

Outstanding opportunity to work with minority students and connect with families.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work and energy put in to the program

Advice to Management

Be more organized and clear in daily operations

"A challenging experience, but wonderful opportunity"

I worked at Great Oaks Charter School full-time

Pros

-Had the creative freedom to make legacy projects with scholars
    -Had the opportunity to build long-time relationships
    -Benefits are available as well as housing and free monthly metro

Cons

-ever changing, fast paced environment
    -pay isn't great

8. "The kids are great, but everything else isn't"

Pros

To be frank, there aren't any.

Cons

A depressing and demoralizing place.

Advice to Management

Keep promises to tutors and stop treating students like little children.

9. "Tutor"

Pros

The students were absolutely amazing

Cons

Work life balance, apartment, lack of morale, low stipend, lack of communication between Tutors and Teachers, pretty much everything plus more

Advice to Management

Do research on the systematic racism that effects these children, and stop blaming their struggles on irrelevant factors. It seems as though this school is running an experiment on these children to see if their theories of in-school tutorials will increase test scores. The daily surveys reminded me everyday how myself, as well as the students, were part of some experiment. Maybe the research should be more focused on how systematic racism has failed these students, and not focused on how to make "kids in the hood" pass a test. The school claims to be holding students to a "higher standard" by strictly disciplining them, but all they are doing is policing their every move just like cops do to them in real life. Although I believe that kids need structure, these charter schools take it to another level. Maybe this school should give more incentives for positive behavior.
    If you want students to only use the backpacks that have been provided by the school, how about you provide better quality backpacks. Administration gives negatives for not using GO backpacks, yet I've seen students walking around with half broken backpacks-- due to the weight of the bags.
    STOP HIRING JUST ANYBODY. It seems as though this school is desperate enough to hire anyone as a tutor. Not everyone is qualified to teach children! The mediocre training provided to tutors is not enough to qualify them to instruct children.
    If you care about staff turnover so much-- try treating them with respect. Upon my leaving, I was told that I was "just another person that gave up on these kids". I really wanted to get unprofessional, but I kept my composure. I am way too educated to be talked to like a fool. Trying to guilt someone into a job is absolutely pathetic. I took Education courses in undergrad-- and I know that these kids have been SYSTEMATICALLY oppressed, and I refuse to let someone make it seem as the reason for their conditions is because of ME.
    My overall advice will be to learn how to empathize with the students as well as staff. It seems as though all of the administration have their own personal agendas and do NOT have the student's best interests at heart. How do you sleep with yourself at night knowing that ALL you care about is increasing test scores? I understand that school funding is based off of test scores. So how about try to change the system-- fight for the board to use different factors to measure the success of GO BESIDES standardized tests.

Like I said before, I am too educated to be played like a fool. I see things as a bigger picture-- and I know exactly what GO's goals are. They do not care about the students-- they care about passing tests to get more funding.

"Great Opportunity For Service"

Pros

Opportunity to impact youth

Opportunity for professional development if you want to stay in education

Opportunity to build relationships in surrounding community

Free apartment

Cons

Extremely low pay

Disorganized and inexperienced admin

Advice to Management

Stop insulting people with low pay.

Great Oaks Charter School Response

Sep 1, 2016 – Director of Talent and Recruitment

Thanks for your review. I'm so glad to hear that you felt you were able to impact youth and build relationships in the community. This is exactly what we hope our Tutor Corps members walk away with ... More

11. "Great kids, bad management"

I worked at Great Oaks Charter School full-time

Pros

Wonderful students that you can really connect with over the course of the year. You get an opportunity to get to know them and their families.

Cons

Deeply unqualified school management. Absolutely shocking lack of care for students with disabilities. Too much ed jargon floating around with real meaning. Administrators without education degrees or experience.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced teachers to work alongside TFA. Find administrators who are qualified to run the school and can apply best practices and care about developmentally appropriate activities.