Great Wolf Lodge Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 24, 2017

1.0
Rubén A. Rodriguez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free water park passes on low occupancy days (in 22 reviews)

• sociable and fun environment to work in (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but that is a standard in food service (in 10 reviews)

• Very low employee moral across the board poor management (in 8 reviews)

1. "."

Pros

sociable and fun environment to work in

Cons

difficult to provide customer service when being a greeter. Ironically, Too focused on making sure everyone is greeted.

2. "Management"

I worked at Great Wolf Lodge full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company started out great, very exciting and customer focused.
    Employees felt like a part of the team.

Cons

Company turned into nickel and dime, overpriced hack.

Advice to Management

Take care of your customer and your employee.

3. "only for work addicts and teens"

Former Employee - Arcade Attendant in Grand Mound, WA
    Former Employee - Arcade Attendant in Grand Mound, WA

I worked at Great Wolf Lodge part-time

Pros

Fun coworkers, free water park passes (though you rarely get the chance to use them)

Cons

almost everything, bad management, insane hours, high turn over rate, screaming kids, ludicrous rules.

Advice to Management

Honestly one of the worst jobs I've had.

First of all the training paper work they were suppose to do my first couple of days (proving that i received proper training) they had me fill out after working there for 4 months.

Second it's retail, so the turn over rate is very high. This place does not handle it well. They would change my schedule will nilly and send me an email? really an email...Schedule changes should not be permitted without consent of the employee (That's how most places do it)

Third, when they did change my schedule they had me working insane hours. Considering I was a part time employee working 2 weeks in a row is not acceptable, especially when you don't get my permission first.....hmm and they wonder why people quit so often.

Fourth, Screaming kids everywhere. And the parents expect you to treat their child like a prince or princess. Guess what parents your kids and your family are not special. To me you are just a customer, don't expect me to treat you like the queen of england. And they would get mad when you were following company procedure.

Fifth, ridiculous rules. You aren't allowed to play the arcade games....even if your not getting prizes. Your'e not allowed to use your phone except in the break room. Seriously, you can't use your phone in the parking lot or anywhere near the property where a customer might see you. Oh and you had to have perfect attendance to even be considered for "full time". Stuff happens, people get sick(especially in retail) don't punish your employees for it.

And finally sixth. Extremely out of date POS/ Cash register systems. These systems are still on dial up or something. No chip reader and the systems would take about 5 minutes just to complete one transaction. Not only that but they would crash, constantly. And I swear they had 20 year old vacuum cleaners that you have to unclog every 2 minutes. Those vacuum cleaners don't pick up ANYTHING, they gave us a carpet sweeper that worked a thousand times better than any vacuum cleaner they had.

Oh and they fired the one good manager that actually helped out on the floor and communicated with all of the employees....and they kept the bad manager that just stayed in her office all day and took 20 minutes to come up and help when you called for her.

I hope some executive reads this, maybe then things will start changing. Focus on making the employees happy and things will start flowing amazingly. Less people will quit and your business will see more profit.

"Great Wolf Lodge is basically a temp service"

I worked at Great Wolf Lodge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Water park passes and discounts

Cons

Management and HR do not care about anything.

Housekeeping is a third party company as well as janitorial for night shift. Neither one care.

Employees are always leaving late because others come in late.

You only get paid for what you were scheduled for.

Guests are rude

Refuse to work around your schedule.

Supervisors show extreme favoritism.

Sexual harassment claims get brushed off like they never happened.

No secrets. Employees may seem like your friends but they're just waiting to screw you over.

Uniform shirts suck.

A/c sucks. It's always hot

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism. Stop going on power trips. Start listening to your employees

"Once the honeymoon is over, welcome to hell on earth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Great Wolf Lodge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great, they all realize how bad the place is but you all try to make the best of it

Cons

Lots of drama kings and queens in upper management, some are insane micromanagers to the point you wonder why your job even exists

Advice to Management

Ruben seems to be cutting out the dead weight, wish him the best of luck

6. "Stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fitchburg, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fitchburg, MA

I have been working at Great Wolf Lodge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Next to impossible to get fired
    Occasionally free (leftover) food

Cons

-Management heavily takes part in spreading drama that affects employee standing

-Hours can be cut for any reason, full time employees can be cut down to 16 hours for no reason and not expect go get their hours back at any time. If management finds out you have gotten another job because of the hour cuts, you will be punished by having your hours cut even more.

-Schedule app is an absolute nightmare. PAWs, the schedule software, is frequently broken, glitched, not updated, or literally inaccessible for many employees with no solution as printed out paper schedules are banned in most of the lodge. You aren't allowed to know when coworkers are working or what days to prevent people from trading shifts. If your manager doesn't update the schedule, you can and will be punished for being late or not coming in. Supposedly schedules must be made in ten days advance. This is a lie.

-Transferring departments is also a nightmare. Don't even bother, it's easier to quit and find another job completely than to switch to another department and generally, you will be hated by your previous department. You manager may even go so far to prevent you from transferring.

-Heavy pressure to not report issues of health/safety issues, broken equipment, missing equipment, theft, or harassment. HR's solution to harassment issues is often to ignore it and heavy pressure to not report it as revenge from reporting people is common

-Multiple health and safety issues go unfixed for months at a time and generally are only fixed through employees own pay out of pocket. 'Lodge Cough'. Employees are frequently sick and punished for using sick time in 'unrelated' hour cuts, resulting in staff spreading the flu and illness. Sanitation and cleaning of employee spaces is minimum.

-Aquatics department is heavily favored over others. Aquatics will very frequently get brand new equipment they don't need while other departments are suffering and without the things they need to do the most basic of jobs. Rags are frequently missing as are spray cleaners and trash bags.

-Pay does not match the amount of work done by the employee. Expect to be doing twice as much as your manager does for 30 cents above minimum wage, responsible for more than your manager, and deal with customers when your manager screws up while they earn twice what you do.

-No promotions. New managers are taken from other locations, there is no opportunity to advance

-If you are disabled, LGBT, elderly, overweight, away from this place. You will be harassed not only by guests but by other employees as well. You will do twice the work with no equipment, twice the expectations, and no room for error. If you need an aid of any kind, you will be punished for using it. The only job they regularly hire disabled people for is the dishwasher. Any disabled accommodations like handrails, wheelchair friendly positions, extra time to accomplish a task, or visual impaired accommodations are not to be found anywhere. Braille on signs is often painted on.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, stop the drama, give us livable wages and actually ake it so our jobs are possible.

7. "Old habits die hard"

Former Contractor - Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Great Wolf Lodge as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pleasant environment, generally pleasant people to work with, some of the best in my career

Cons

This company is growing rapidly but hasn't changed their bad IT ways. This will fail. It cannot scale. A clean house is in order.

Advice to Management

Don't just talk about best practice. Embrace the pain and the change growth brings, and...change.

"Management style like 1975"

Pros

If you can imagine working for a company in 1975, you’ll like this company. Old computer systems, old leadership style and overpriced experience for guests. My boss was really smart and knew a lot about the business but Great Wolf was stuck in their ways. It’s basically an overpriced waterpark.

Cons

It basically sucked working here. I worked in the sales office and it was like running a hotel in the mid 1970’s. The corporate office had no clue how to roll things out successfully and it became a daily struggle to get our point across that many ideas they had, would simply not work. My boss was awesome but he ended up leaving too because it was frustrating.

Advice to Management

Close your hotels and get out of the business. No amount of ideas or suggestions to succeed will be listened to so you might as well just shutter your doors.

"Life Guard"

Pros

Nothing was good about this job besides the benefits of getting to go to the water park and discounted food and drink.

Cons

ALL OF THE CHILDREN. The amount of disrespectful is ridiculous, guest expect you to be baby sitters. As well there are long hours

Advice to Management

Please do not timmy drop the same person over and over again. It makes them paranoid and constantly fear they will get fired if they fail.

10. "Room Attendant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

I worked at Great Wolf Lodge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips were.awesome, job was easy

Cons

Hours were terrible, organization was all over the place. Veey confusing place to work.