Great Wolf Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 25, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rubén A. Rodriguez

Pros
  • Free water park passes on low occupancy days (in 18 reviews)

• Discounted resort stays, water park passes and sometimes free overnight stays (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • As an arcade attendant, the job required long hours of standing with a small 30 minute food break (in 8 reviews)

• The water park made myself and other lifeguards sick at times (you eventually got used to the air in there) (in 7 reviews)

1. "Old habits die hard"

Former Contractor - Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Madison, WI

I worked at Great Wolf Resorts as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pleasant environment, generally pleasant people to work with, some of the best in my career

Cons

This company is growing rapidly but hasn't changed their bad IT ways. This will fail. It cannot scale. A clean house is in order.

Advice to Management

Don't just talk about best practice. Embrace the pain and the change growth brings, and...change.

"Management style like 1975"

Pros

If you can imagine working for a company in 1975, you’ll like this company. Old computer systems, old leadership style and overpriced experience for guests. My boss was really smart and knew a lot about the business but Great Wolf was stuck in their ways. It’s basically an overpriced waterpark.

Cons

It basically sucked working here. I worked in the sales office and it was like running a hotel in the mid 1970’s. The corporate office had no clue how to roll things out successfully and it became a daily struggle to get our point across that many ideas they had, would simply not work. My boss was awesome but he ended up leaving too because it was frustrating.

Advice to Management

Close your hotels and get out of the business. No amount of ideas or suggestions to succeed will be listened to so you might as well just shutter your doors.

"Life Guard"

Pros

Nothing was good about this job besides the benefits of getting to go to the water park and discounted food and drink.

Cons

ALL OF THE CHILDREN. The amount of disrespectful is ridiculous, guest expect you to be baby sitters. As well there are long hours

Advice to Management

Please do not timmy drop the same person over and over again. It makes them paranoid and constantly fear they will get fired if they fail.

5. "Room Attendant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason, OH

I worked at Great Wolf Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips were.awesome, job was easy

Cons

Hours were terrible, organization was all over the place. Veey confusing place to work.

"Lifeguard"

Former Employee - Lifeguard
    Former Employee - Lifeguard

Pros

I was paid well and hired quickly.

Cons

The conditions of the work environment are horrible. I am a competitive swimmer and I have never experienced such a bad "chlorine cough" (when your lungs get used to the most environment and when returning to fresh air a cough appears). My eyes would water so bad after a shift that I would have to pull over on the drive home because I was unable to see. When I tried to complain to management they told me "welcome to the lodge" and had no advice to give me concerning the issue. Also the management was incredibly sexist and made it seem like male guards were much more capable of their jobs than the female guards, despite experience levels.

Advice to Management

Please actually listen to your staff members complaints, and pay for overtime without a fight over what hours were actually worked.

7. "Terrible"

Pros

Paid lifeguard training is good

Cons

Hot, walking entire time, bad pay, chlorine air gives you a terrible cough because there's no ventilation. All the supervisors smoke pot and keep pee hidden in their lockers

Advice to Management

Drug test your management!!!!!

"point system"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fitchburg, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fitchburg, MA

I worked at Great Wolf Resorts full-time

Pros

Great benefits and family friendly

Cons

Point system keeps the turn around high the expectations regarding time missed is way beyond normal. Family emergencies and medical necessities are deemed unreasonable and you are punished for these just as you are with no calls.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the point system and you'll keep the better employees.

9. "Arcade Attendant"

Pros

Nice employees. Some nice managers.

Cons

Worst job ever. There are really mean managers who love writing you up. Only give you 1 day a week. I think one of the managers is racist.

Advice to Management

Double check your supervisors, they could be racist.

10. "Lifeguard"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Williamsburg, VA
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Great Wolf Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of hours available, discount food.

Cons

This was the absolute WORST job I ever had. They hire basically all 16 and 17 year olds, and hire 18 year olds to "supervise". There is constant gossip and tumors, which affect where you get placed or if you get a bad position or not. The vents are often closed, and it's a huge hotbox of chlorine levels that are WAY too high. Right before I quit, they even hired two lifeguards that couldn't pass the swim qualifications test. I gained Heath issues from this job, as well as witnessing the worst management techniques I've ever seen.

Advice to Management

HIRE ACTUAL MANAGERS! Do your job!

11. "Arcade Attendant at the Mason, Ohio location"

Current Employee - Arcade Attendant in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Arcade Attendant in Mason, OH

I have been working at Great Wolf Resorts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers that you end up becoming really close with and that you can rely heavily on when you need help

Cons

The management team sucks yes there may be one good manager other than that they don't help you at all and they also talk about you behind your back and they may act like they are your friends but they aren't. If you ever need help you better figure it out yourself because they won't help you at all they just sit in the retail office and listen to music.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention and help out a little more