GreatCall Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Inns

Pros
  • After reading the reviews i have to clarify that there are TWO call centers in carlsbad (in 8 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are comparable to other call centers in the area (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes leadership forgets that people in the call center as just as important as the people who design the products (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is doing all they can to collect on seniors (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great Management"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at GreatCall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very supportive management team, develops sales skills.

Cons

you have to work 55 plus hours a week to make decent commision

"Level 2 Technical support"

Former Employee - Level II Tech Support in Ren, NC
    Former Employee - Level II Tech Support in Ren, NC

I worked at GreatCall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a check! That's about it. Only expect promotions if you either stick it out for years or kiss butt like a fiend and no other. But hey, they are possible...

Cons

I was one of the original 4 techs chosen for the opening of the new Reno call center. All good things must come to an end... Unfortunately that happened within the first year. After a year and a half I had to bail. No choice. Politics in the office are not good. But if you keep your head down you can at least keep your job. Promotions are only there for a select few. People will always try to tarnish you. Either deal with it or quit. Only choices...

Advice to Management

None! They promoted someone who threatened to stab me over there. What advice do you think I could actually give to people like that?

3. "Working there is hard on your emotional wellbeing"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at GreatCall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you thrive on being micromanaged this is the job for you. There is a specific requirement for EVERYTHING. If you are great at selling things on the phone there are rewards.

Cons

Lots of turnover. I left there with anxiety problems that cost me a year's work to solve. It says the upper workers are there to serve you as a lower level worker, but they are not. I think the supervisors have the worst spot because they are not supported from above and get all the worst tasks.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging every little thing. And don't say you're there for those under you if you aren't. . .and you aren't.

"Good company but needs massive shift in how workers are treated"

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Reno, NV

I have been working at GreatCall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, super friendly coworkers. Hours aren't really that bad for a call center.

Cons

There is no consistency among supervisors and seniors regarding processes. Although everyone follows a single 'manual', each team is run completely differently from the next. Very frustrating for someone who has had four supervisors in two months. FYI - *everyone* is now on split shifts. A very select few get two days off in a row. Management - supervisors and managers - are mostly aloof and very condescending when asked for help. (I'm not the only one who feels this way.) There are a couple of great ones but the rest act as if you are a child when you ask for help or escalation.

Advice to Management

Management needs to focus on the good people do - not just the things they get wrong. Don't think 'incentives' are enough to keep good people who have no desire to move up; we simply move on to companies that value our experiences more and treat us like adults. Give your supervisors serious training in HR, how to work with people, how to show empathy, and how to actually manage PEOPLE, not just numbers. You have great workers; bagels and toys mean nothing to most of us ... we will work even harder for you if our supervisors did more than stare at their computers all day and tell us they are only allowed to coach us one day a week for a few minutes. Call me, 'Frustrated and Quitting Soon'

"Call Center Advisor"

Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service Representative in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at GreatCall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good. Co-workers in my training group were great. Loved talking with seniors and helping them figure out their technology issues. They were always so grateful to learn how to use the features on their phone.

Cons

Not honest about working environment, schedules, etc. They don't do ergonomic assessments prior to going on the floor, and poorly set up offices cause physical damage to employees. 3 weeks after I had requested an ergo assessment, I was still told I had to wait at the back of the line and couldn't be priortized. "It's just pain" the manager told me.

Advice to Management

Follow OSHA laws and take care of your people. The high turnover is due to not spelling out exactly what the work environment is like. Operate with honesty and integrity.

6. "Just ok"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at GreatCall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

big company in a great location

Cons

Not forth coming about hours

"Dont get pimped"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Location and friendly co workers

Cons

Very high turnover rate. Mandatory overtime everyday. You will make sales all day everyday however you are not eligible to receive any commission until after training." Training" is 1 week PERIOD but they will say training is 90 -180 days depending on when they feel like your worth the HR paperwork. After week 1 you really are DOING the entire job making sales like everyone else. At $13 a hour you have literally been paying yourself with the amount of commission you've made that they keep. They would fire people who had been there 60/90 days just to avoid having to pay them, and then hire a new class of 8.

Advice to Management

The company will only be as good as the people who work there.

"Technical Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at GreatCall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Okay pay for market.

Cons

No leadership programs. Executives and upper management have zero idea what really happens at the call center level.

Advice to Management

Treat your regular customer facing employees better. Give them a raise if they are doing well once in awhile. Make your current products work right before investing in others.

"Company needs to take care of current customers before expanding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at GreatCall full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Like all other call centers
    -Some managers still care
    -Some really nice people work here!
    -Views from building are nice

Cons

- QA department misses the mark in their purpose and roles
    - Company wants only to expand and has not the resources to support the customers they have now!
    - Pay is not equitable - they should pay each department according to local pay for job performed and not lump all the departments into what is normal for customer service industry pay.
    - Need to start paying extra for working holidays and before 8 am and after 6 pm shift differentials, should start paying extra to work Sundays too!
    - Management needs to rotate out, many have gotten lazy and don't realize their job is to support their staff not just give negative feedback.
    - More employee support is needed. The demographics of our customers requires extra patience and recognition should be given to employees for a job well done working with such a difficult sector.
    - The office is completely understaffed and resources to do your job are shared making it hard to do your job the way they expect you to!
    - Health plan sucks -- need to get one that actually covers the needs of the employees - Dental plan is a joke!!!!
    - Believe it or not --- yes, the people steal food here too!

Advice to Management

- More money should be put into finding adequate space for employees. All departments should be allocated the necessary space.
    - Supervisors need to be selected on their ability to lead and not their ability to do the job. Not everyone that is good at their job can lead!
    - Need to do more for employee health and well being. Need to go to a non-smoking site and promote exercise more than a walking program two days a week!

10. "A great company to work with"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GreatCall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth.
    Upper management very receptive to feedback.
    Strong sense of community and teamwork.

Cons

Office layout is uninspired (rows of cubicles).
    Occasionally encounter red tape.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!