GreatCall "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

GreatCall Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jul 9, 2019

3.8
GreatCall President and CEO David Inns
David Inns
Pros
  • "Awesome Work Life Balance and Flexible Hours(in 12 reviews)

• "Work environment - There's always something fun going on in the call center from a contest to a cookout(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "just like any other call center the opportunity for advancement is there but upper management is not unless you are in with the in crowd(in 27 reviews)

• "There is absolutely no communication between upper management and the employees(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Direct Sales Representative"

I worked at GreatCall full-time

Pros

Great Supervisors, fun vibe. They really try to add incentives at times and do fun things.

Cons

Micro Managed Sometimes. Upper Management Makes Questionable Decisions and Sales Team Members Feel More Like A Statistic Than an Actual Human Being.

Advice to Management

Use Logic and Empathy More Towards Your Staff. Maybe Embrace More Modern and Start Up Type Actions.

GreatCall2018-06-07

"Great/horrible company"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Reno, NV

I worked at GreatCall full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company has competitive wages

Cons

politics! just like any other call center the opportunity for advancement is there but upper management is not unless you are in with the in crowd.

GreatCall2019-07-09

"Don't believe their false promises."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GreatCall full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Onsite fitness programs. Emphasis on healthy living.

Cons

Short version: Out of touch management, lack of resources, salary/benefits below industry standards. Long version: The company recently got bought for $800 million. The executives likely received millions each. Employees received nothing - no salary increases, no bonuses, no gift cards, nothing. This is at a company that already pays below industry standard. After the almost billion dollar buyout, as a... thank you, employees in the main HeadQuarters received...nachos. I'm not sure you can find a better example of tone-deaf management. GreatCall has never given bonuses to employees. Each year they make you write a multiple page essay (seriously) to argue for why you deserve a minuscule raise equivalent to inflation. It's laughably offensive. GreatCall lures people in with false promises. Almost every person you talk to was made promises that never materialized whether it be in regards to technologies you will work with or your career path. The company claims to have great career growth potential. They tell you stories of the individual who started in the call center and moved up to IT or someone who started as a QA and became a manager. This may have been true a few years ago, but is not the case anymore. Management has made promises of promotions to multiple individuals and later reneged on those promises. The company says the managers will help you grow in your career, but this is not true. Every team lacks resources. Though multiple people have been quitting, GreatCall has not hired a single new QA in over twelve months. Despite masquerading as a "positive work-life balance" company, every development team is overworked and stretched very thin. If you're on a team with a big product launch, expect stressful "crunchtime" - lots of hours of overtime and possibly having to come in on weekends. The development environment is a mess with tech debt stacked to the ceiling. There are a few tech leads who have been with the company since the beginning and who are the only ones who know how things work. Everybody else is required to go to them to make sense of the spaghetti codebase. Speaking of these esteemed tech leads, if you dare to have an opinion different from them, things will not go well for you here. Additionally, there is almost no documentation and no onboarding process. There is absolutely no communication between upper management and the employees. Everybody complains about this constantly. Management acknowledges it, apologizes, and does nothing about it. There is also no transparency as to how decisions are made. Management is also extremely "hands off." Do not expect any sort of supervision. In fact there are at least a few managers who have no idea what their teams are working on day to day. An interesting consequence of this hands off approach is that GreatCall HQ does not fire people at all. This leads to people who are not intrinsically motivated spending most of their time slacking off. Recently, management did some rearranging and pulled people off of each team to make room for a new project. In other words, management is expecting more work to be done by teams with fewer staff members. Management gave no warning to anybody about this. Employees were given one day's notice that they would be moved to a new team. Needless to say, many people were furious. Turnover rate among the engineers is extremely high and seems to have increased in the past few years. Every other person you talk to is secretly interviewing for other jobs. Morale in the tech department at HQ is extremely low. Management has been asking people to write good reviews on GlassDoor to prop up the score. Most of the other reviews you see are from management level people and recruiters who are trying to increase the GlassDoor score because they are having trouble retaining talent.

Advice to Management

Please train management on being more active and actually doing their jobs. Learn to communicate and be transparent. Increase salaries and benefits. Provide real resources to your teams, not just superficial lip service. If things do not improve soon, you will lose many talented staff members - an alarming number of employees are currently looking for other opportunities.

GreatCall2019-01-20

"Technical Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at GreatCall full-time for more than a year

Pros

Okay pay for market.

Cons

No leadership programs. Executives and upper management have zero idea what really happens at the call center level.

Advice to Management

Treat your regular customer facing employees better. Give them a raise if they are doing well once in awhile. Make your current products work right before investing in others.

GreatCall2017-01-02
  5. "Customer Service Agent"

I worked at GreatCall

Pros

The only pro for this company is the paycheck didn't bounce.

Cons

Managers are lazy, call out most of the time. Upper management are huge bigots and favortism runs rampant throughout. No career path and they fire customer service agents that don't agree with there office politics. And if you do work Customer service DO NOT WORK THE 12-9 shift.

Advice to Management

Gracefully quit and let someone else who knows how to run a company take over.

GreatCall2016-11-14
  6. "Customer Service Supervisor"

Former Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Reno, NV

I worked at GreatCall full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with and benefit plans are on par with the industry standard

Cons

Upper Management was somewhat inaccessible at times, causing disconnection between supervisors and upper management as well as Supervisors and entry level personnel.

Advice to Management

Consider equality between employees at both locations

GreatCall2016-09-13
  7. "collections manager"

I worked at GreatCall for more than 3 years

Pros

pay and great people to work with.

Cons

Upper management is doing all they can to collect on seniors.

Advice to Management

Maintain your demographic, it doesn't take degrees? it takes knowing people and staff.

GreatCall2016-02-25

"Customer Service from Hell"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at GreatCall full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met a lot of really good friends at GC in Customer Service on the up side of things. I would have to say that the best thing is that there are some really cool people that work in CS minus the poor management. GC made me realize that I'm really good in Sales so thank you for that GC because I can take my experience and further my career somewhere else and make way more money. I have to say though that I did... alright hourly, $12 an hour as a temp and then $14 after getting hired on, but for the type of calls could make way more somewhere else and where I actually felt appreciated. You have to be a Jack of all trades there and takes all kinds of calls and you have to be very thick skinned and don't take QAs and constant nagging from management personally because in order to move up in the company its all about who puts on the best show and lays the best parts, but I won't mention any names .. I did have medical, dental, and vision benefits there though and 401K, but not a place I want t retire from and not a place I would refer somebody too to work at.

Cons

Call Center hours aren't cool and you'll get stuck on a shift that you don't want to be on, upper management constantly cracking down on the employees about their numbers and call times because of long customer wait times from shutting down another call center before fully staffed, constantly jipping people out of their "incentive" which entails probing elderly customers like crazy that can barely hear or understand... me and being required to ask at least 3 questions about why they like their Jitterbug cellphone when they don't like it and they would tell you everything they didn't like about it and then you would have to find a "Win" and tie that into offering vas which consists of up-selling health and wellness services that the customer doesn't want and can't afford. These customers don't even know how to operate a smartphone never had one before so why would they want to spend more on a cellphone? EXACTLY! As for shifts, the bidding isn't fair and it's not based upon Productivity or Seniority they give all the good shifts to new hires to get them to stay because the turn over is so high they continually have to hire new agents because all the good agents are dippng out left and right with two fingers up like, who's coming with me? All I can say is watch your back, check your hours to make sure you're not getting jipped out of you're hourly pay and the "incentive" and good luck on bidding on a shift they don't care if you quit because they don't give a what about you or there customers only about their pockets getting bigger.

Advice to Management

Learn how to operate the place before it goes under, hire more people for the call volume, pay more for the various types of calls the agents are required to take (Sales, Billing, TS, CS, Touch Calls, Porting, Retention, FS, etc.) and stop micro managing and fraternizing/partying with employees, lay off the drugs/boos and be a leader, change the wacked point system so people don't have to file fmla, approve people's... PTO so they don't' have to call out because we all have personal lives, and stop jipping people out of their commission when they meet the Sales/Revenue quota and have earned it and maybe you'll stop getting sued and have long term employees otherwise you'll probably go out of business. Oh and schedule break times according to state law. And to the cell phone police: I have a life, what if it's an emergency?

GreatCall2015-09-05

"Runaway. Stay if you like getting disrespected and looked down upon."

Former Employee - Software Development in San Diego, CA

I worked at GreatCall full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Steady paycheck. -Free Coffee -Close to most freeways -Medical benefits -Company Functions -A lot of development work for me to code -Some work dedicated QA testers

Cons

-Very Clicky - Management is rude. You'll see that meetings. -No matter how much work you take on and get done you still get looked down upon. -SQA team has no management structure. -There's just technicians with only one manager and a management that only cares about developers and not QA. -It took forever for upper management to even consider hiring more help for QA whether it be a contractor or a... permanent employee. - They are clueless on how to respect an employee -No acknowledgement of good work. Just constant blame pointing. -6 devs to 1 tester ratio -Scrum is pretty unorganized -Not enough QA testers to consistently test our code

Advice to Management

No work culture and morale starts at the top. If you care less about the people below you and only acknowledge the people deemed worthy by you then you will never see happy employees just people collecting a paycheck.

GreatCall2015-08-02

"Uncompetitive pay, non existing raises or promotions."

I have been working at GreatCall

Pros

Reasonably decent benefits and off street parking. Decent snack machines and friendly co-workers.

Cons

If you came across this website to see if this is a decent place to work, please pay closest attention to the negative reviews. They are from real, honest, decent, hardworking people who have real experiences with this company. Please do not pay any attention to the positive ones as they are blatantly false and misleading since they are written by supervisors and managers. Of course they're going to sing the... praises of a company when they are sitting in a office either 30 miles away or they have never experienced what it's like to actually work on the phone for a living. I have worked here for a year and a half. I was promised a review and a raise every six months. I've only seen one $.20 raise the entire time I've been here. If it weren't for the fact that I didn't need benefits, I would be bringing home poverty level pay. A second income is absolutely essential to survival if you work here. Whether it be from another person in your home or a second job, there is no way anyone can support themself unless they are sleeping in their car. Micromanagement at its finest. Upper management can’t seem let the supervisors do their jobs effectively in order to assist their employees in a timely manner because of all the demand that is placed on their time during the day be it meetings, or other projects that demand so much time.  This can then lead to unsupportive supervisors who obviously feel they have to kowtow to upper management or risk losing their jobs. Consequently, requests and questions are pushed off to the side and are not completed for several days. This has resulted in paychecks not being processed incorrectly and promises not being kept.   Freezing, inconsistent temperatures in the office.  One minute you’re sitting having to fan yourself, the next minute you’re having to bundle up in coats, hats, blankets and even slippers.  Concerns regarding this are not taken seriously. Nearly all employees on both floors in Carlsbad sit bundled up.  A claim has been made to have something done about the environment but so far nothing has been taken care of.  We all still sit bundled up months later. Non-ergonomically correct work stations.  Sure you can request an ergo eval, but that can take weeks and your concerns are not listened to. This has led to near lawsuits in order to have a workstation be positioned in order to accommodate someone with a legitimate medical need for a chair and desk to be in a specific position required by their doctor. Many employees are forced to sit in 3’ x 2’ cubicles with no space to place anything that is needed to do their job effectively.  Upper management doesn't care that customers are verbally, violently abusive to employees.  Some customers have threatened to get us fired or have threatened to kill us.  Yes, kill us.  Nothing is done about it.  The customers are still allowed to have their accounts and we are supposed to be subjected to extreme abuse on a consistent, sometimes daily basis.  You’re expected to be a robot with no feelings or emotions to deal with these customers. Sick time is not set apart from personal time.  If you get sick while on vacation, and have no vacation time left over, you are forced to come to work sick and potentially infect your other co-workers.  If you stay home anyway, you are assessed a “point” for attendance.  HR claims this is not to be punitive and allows for “life events”.  Well, you’re only allowed 10 of these so called, “life events” but no exceptions are given. None.  Sick child, point.  Car accident, point. Family emergency, point. Leave early due to an emergency family or otherwise, point. In other words, this is NOT a family friendly company. If all of those things happen in one month, too bad, so sad, you’re gone.  No exceptions, they don’t care if things are out of your control.  Sure, you can “earn” the points back two at a time but you have to go the entire next month in order for that to happen.  Sometimes it just can’t be done. Performance enhancement competitions.  The last time performance enhancement winners were named they were all supervisors and team leads.  The last contest was for performance adherence meaning how well an employee sticks to their schedule and stays on the phone as much as possible.  The last time I checked, none of the winners listed were required to spend any significant time on the phones with customers.  Non-existent promotions.  They post jobs on a semi frequent basis but they’re for jobs that no one is qualified for.  However, if you are actually qualified, don’t even think about applying, you either won’t get an interview or you won’t get promoted.  Promoting within the company is a lie.  Referral bonuses are a farce.  They can only be given if you refer someone to be supervisor, not anyone else.  How can that benefit anyone? Bottom line; you don't want to work here.

Advice to Management

Please read the above paragraphs and take all into consideration carefully, we deserve to be heard and acknowledged.

GreatCall2015-01-05