GreatHorn Reviews

Updated May 21, 2020

4.8
GreatHorn Founder and CEO Kevin O'Brien (no image)
Kevin O'Brien
  1. Featured Review

"Could not be happier! An amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales in Waltham, MA

I have been working at GreatHorn full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Environment! Everyone has each others back. Everyone shares and supports one another. No jerks! Easy to understand compensation plan. Amazing health benefits, Unlimited vacation, 401k matching, dog friendly, and a great office environment. The CEO and the leadership team are very supportive and engaged.

Cons

Very selective in their hiring. A difficult interview process. Must be ready for a fast moving pace and everyone has to pitch in for success. Still growing so no immediate advancement opportunities. I expect that to change quickly.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at GreatHorn full-time

Pros

Everyone is treated like they are part of the family. Great place to learn new technologies since it is still a startup.

Cons

Very fast paced and be ready to learn things quickly. At times, there will be long days.

"Capable of more"

2.0

I have been working at GreatHorn full-time for more than a year

Pros

A number of genuinely pleasant, driven individuals work here. In general the company has done a good job of identifying for fit during the hiring process. Even when things get hectic, the teams stick together and work out problems. No one believes it is ever going to be easy, but having teams which fight for one another is refreshing. The product has come a very long way in a relatively short amount of time, and that is something we should all be proud of. Despite your typical changes which occur at startups, the team has done a good job of remaining focused in our mission. Even if progress is slower than expected/wanted at times, we find ways to keep pressing forward.

Cons

There is often a disconnect between management and their teams in terms of what is feasible and what is not. Few if any members of the company slack but more is always expected which leads to unreasonable hours for some. Much of the camaraderie feels forced/insincere. Look at how even the reviews on Glassdoor are staggered--they typically come in waves following the most recent QBR. It is readily apparent how you are viewed based upon how management interacts with you--treating you politely if you are in good standing but being cold and distant when you are not. There is a constant fear of reprisal and many are afraid to speak up. We often hear of there not being politics here, but the politics can be suffocating. There is also a habit of micromanagement from upper management rather than allowing department heads/team leads to present solutions to problems.

GreatHorn Response

May 26, 2020CEO and Co-Founder

Hi, Anonymous. As the company’s founder and CEO, I wanted to respond to this personally, and share my perspective on what you have written. I wish that we had the opportunity to speak directly, and I am sorry that you felt this way. While our opinions may differ, difference of opinion is welcome here. Part of why I founded GreatHorn was, in the words of a mentor of mine, “to create the kind of company I wanted to work for.” I’m saddened to hear that your perception is that you need to be afraid of reprisal for speaking up about issues, or that our camaraderie is insincere. The leadership team has made it a priority during the current moment – that is, amid the COVID-19 pandemic – to ensure that despite the economic challenges facing all of us, we have not needed to furlough or lay anyone off. We have also endeavored to listen to the concerns and needs of every team member, supporting both large requests (such as the ability to move to different parts of the country) and small (needing a better office chair at home), and done so in our weekly all-hands meetings. It’s true that the expectations are high here, especially now, but that bar is one we all clear together or not at all. My door remains open to you, and there have never been and never will be negative consequences for anyone for speaking up. Regardless, thank you for sharing your thoughts, and I hope that others will continue to do the same. Warmly, Kevin O'Brien CEO and Co-Founder

"Amazing Things are Happening Here"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at GreatHorn full-time for less than a year

Pros

GreatHorn is an amazing place to be. The team is top notch. Everyone is hard working and committed to seeing not only the product but also their teammates succeed. Every single engineer I've had the pleasure to work alongside at GreatHorn has grown by leaps and bounds. Coming to work everyday is exciting not only because of the interesting problems to work on, but also because of how rapidly the company is hiring and growing.

Cons

Nothing major but be aware that it is still a startup. There will be interrupts for higher priority work, occasional ambiguous requirements, and a few late nights here and there.

Continue reading

"Cool Company and Great Team!"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer

I have been working at GreatHorn full-time for less than a year

Pros

GreatHorn is a really fun company to work for and the team atmosphere great! The interview process is thorough but enjoyable and the hiring process is quick. One thing that really stood out to me was that on my first day at GreatHorn I instantly felt accepted as part of the team. Everyone here is easy to talk to and always willing to help out. Communication between the different teams here is really good, even as the teams grow. I really enjoy working here and I am excited for the future!

Cons

I have not experienced any real cons so far. It is a start up and as expected there is a lot of work and things more fast, but no one seems over worked or too stressed out.

"Great Place to Work - Strong Communication"

Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at GreatHorn full-time for less than a year

Pros

While working at GreatHorn there has been plenty of experiences that show me the teams core values. When it comes down to it - management wants to ensure you are happy and involving yourself in the culture and core values of GreatHorn. The team has a lot of fun and laughs while always willing to lend a helping hand in order to meet our fast-paced deadlines. The environment is friendly and the management makes efforts to help you grow as a professional. We also have team lunch and weekly wrap up each week in order to keep the GreatHorn culture alive!

Cons

In my couple months of working at GreatHorn there have not been many cons or downfalls to my position. I will say however this company is fast-paced and with some ramp up time, you too could join the fast-paced cycle here at GreatHorn.

"Intense, rewarding experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at GreatHorn full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm not sure I've ever worked anywhere where I like and respect the people this much. They are smart, hard-working, eager to collaborate, and have a sense of humor. - You feel like your efforts are going towards a worthy cause (protecting people from phishing attacks). Cybersecurity is a hot market. - Work that goes above and beyond gets called out. - I've worked here for almost 2 years and I feel the CEO is someone you can trust to actually lead. CEO is also very open-door. - A few of my ideas have actually been listened to and are being incorporated into our products. - People have strong opinions but aren't a-holes. I cannot stress how important that is.

Cons

It's a start-up so work-life balance can be very stressful. I will say that this has improved dramatically in the past year to the point where it's not a critical issue.

"Well balanced startup"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Nottingham, NH

I have been working at GreatHorn full-time for less than a year

Pros

People , talent, energy, I am humbled to be a part of this effort. As an older experienced QA engineer it is awesome to be around such dynamic and intelligent engineers. I look forward to coming to work again! This startup has a very good balance between Sales/Support/Engineering/Leadership

Cons

Waltham is very far from my home which means a long commute. Things move quickly as one would expect, but that is the nature of successful startups

Continue reading

"Great people, great work environment, and technically challenging work!"

Current Employee - Engineering in Waltham, MA

I have been working at GreatHorn full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are amazing. Everyone is on the same team with no politics. People are very supportive and interested in your success whether they management or peers. The work is very interesting and in an area which touches almost everybody's life. Being a security oriented company, it is great for the resume too! Waltham is a fun place to have a company, it has the benefits of Seaport, without the obvious drawbacks of traffic, commute, etc.

Cons

Lots of work to do but they are hiring as fast as they can without skimping on quality of folks or the culture. It is a start up, so there is risk but they seem to be taking market share.

Continue reading

"Committed organization with passionate people"

I have been working at GreatHorn full-time

Pros

Genuinely great group of people that are enjoyable to work and hang out with. Clear and committed mission, and an exec team that seems committed to cutting through the normal BS.

Cons

It's an early stage start-up, so while there's good work-life balance and flexibility, it's not a 9-5 job.

Found 22 reviews