Greatbatch Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Greatbatch President and CEO Thomas J. Hook
Thomas J. Hook

Pros
  • This equates to a very positive work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Collaborative work environment and work-life balance is promoted (in 6 reviews)

"Current Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Greatbatch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company. Used to be involved with big medical device companies such as philips healthcare, but they lost most of everyone's business

Cons

Zero projects in the pipeline due to the customers realizing just how substandard the quality of the products are, and how unreliable the company is. Only full of older (40+ engineers) and will not hire young or semi (2-8 yrs) experienced engineers. All the engineering managers have already left the company. Most people are fleeing due to extremely low moral and not enough work . Engineers/Project Managers - do go here unless you are looking for a career destroyer and tons of paper pushing without any guidance or leadership.

Advice to Management

Not sure. Most of the ones I knew have already left the company.

"Greatbatch has killed LRM Values"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Greatbatch full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People, some OT, most of Middle management who have not left yet are good. Product could be the best in the world and was headed that way until Greatbatch came in and created Integer. Dental is the same...that's about it.

Cons

Executive Leaders don't care; destroying what worked and was good. If you serve in the military, they just cut your supporting benefits from 6m to 6w (shame on you CEO Tom Hook USN). New Healthcare plan is a royal mess. Most of the local sites Sr. Staff have left or are looking. Those not looking have no spine to support the employees and speak up. No sign that this will change any time soon. Under LRM things where looking up, but now that’s all gone as we look like we are about to implode.

Advice to Management

Fix it soon or the share holders will hold you responsible! You seem like smart people when at our site and acted like you care (I guess it was all acting) about the employees. Stop hurting employees with the health care, I hear some had pay cuts and others are demoted. Must have been reading Trumps playbook.

3. "Machinst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Greatbatch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

4 weeks vacation nice pay is alright benefits not bad

Cons

employees will stab you in the back management has no clue what they are doing

Advice to Management

spend more time on the floor

"Waste of time"

Former Employee - New York in Clarence, NY
    Former Employee - New York in Clarence, NY

I worked at Greatbatch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

4 weeks vacation listed on first paystub. Free snacks at employee cafeteria meetings. Somewhat voluntary overtime, some nice people, some newer equipment,

Cons

Raises and bonuses depend on how much each manager has to disperse among his/her department. For example, if my manager has 20 people under him, and has $20000 for raises, he might give 10 people $7000 equally dispersed, 5 people $3000, and HIS 5 people $10000. AND maybe ONE of those will get $3500 of the 10k. Seriously messed up, when THAT employee, generally does very little work. He`s just an "eyes and ears" employee. Same supposed position, but...

Advice to Management

Get all your managers together, get all your HR complaints together (or at least say the last 10 or 20 in the past year, and straighten out your managers(fire them). Like Wilson would have done. Actually he wouldn`t have let this happen in the first place.

"Good things and Bad things, get it together!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia City, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia City, IN

I worked at Greatbatch (More than 10 years)

Pros

PTO and Some Great people

Cons

Poor management and lack of communication, seems like everyone is on a different page and can not hit promised dates. More about money than customers, but one can't survive without the other.

Advice to Management

Focus on Customers and loyalty to dedicated employees, with that, you will make the stock holders happy.

"Good body with a bad head"

Former Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Greatbatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are OK. Bonuses were OK when not being cut in half for no good reason. Lots of good and talented people...

Cons

...when they aren't walking through the revolving door.
    No career path for lower levels.
    If it weren't for poor management, there would be none at all.
    Raises based on pool dynamics so if all employees do well, everyone either gets mediocre raises or one person gets a good raise at the expense of the rest of the team.
    No respect for anyone below management levels.
    Poor pay scales.
    No solid company vision.
    Greedy CEO.
    Etc. Etc.

Advice to Management

Restructure upper management. Lose the culture of greed from ELT group. Pay your employees what they are worth and actually retain talent. Lose the idea that "if you don't like the direction of the company, there's the door" (from the words of the CEO himself) and listen to your employees. Pretty much take what you are doing and do the opposite.

"Terrible Place for People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Greatbatch full-time

Pros

Hard to think of any at this point

Cons

short term decision making, bad quality, strange culture and leadership, not a people-oriented place

Advice to Management

Get new leadership, focus on your customer, care about quality. You can't grow through acquisitions forever

"Judge for Yourself"

Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Facilities Maintenance in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Greatbatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people on the floor and good working relationship with engineers. PTO was decent.

Cons

For starters, my youngest son & my wife opened this account and reviewed the company after making a list of all the things that THEY didn't like about my job. All I can say is that they were right to do this. A company that thinks it's more important than anything else in your life is expecting too much and that includes the negative effects on one's family. A company is just as accountable to family as it is to an employee.

I was laid off on March 17 of this year. No reason given but judge for yourselves, folks.

Advice to Management

There is no sense in giving advice to people who don't care and don't think they need any advice. Henry Ford was correct about stockholders. Bunch of parasites.

"Toxic work environment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Greatbatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer a good vacation plan for an American company, as well as an incentive plan where good healthy habits can earn cash rewards.

Cons

The working environment is toxic at our location, partially due to the fact that manufacturing is moving to Mexico. Morale is very low and colleagues look to one up each other instead of working together. Management is not very receptive to ideas on how to fix this.

Advice to Management

Look to improve current business instead of just looking for new companies to purchase. Also, don't eliminate the bonus plan just because one financial target wasn't met.

"Great potential but questionable leadership"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Greatbatch full-time

Pros

Great people. Lots of talent, interesting product portfolio, place for advancement

Cons

Lost leadership, gross negligence on policies and procedures, lack of emphasis on following quality fundamentals, management short sightedness on meeting results and time lines but without meeting risk imperatives.

Advice to Management

Emphasize to meet the behavior for what you say and align what you say to the behavior.

Greatbatch Response

Jun 9, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you very much for your assessment. We will review this feedback with our leadership teams. We wish you the best in your new endeavors.