Greater Boston Food Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Greater Boston Food Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2019

Found 27 reviews

2.2
Greater Boston Food Bank CEO Catherine D'Amato (no image)
Catherine D'Amato

"Knowing We are making a difference"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time

Pros

Working here brings so much joy and fulfillment in my life. Everyday as I pull up, I watch our trucks filled with food go out on their daily routes. Having had to get help for food and shelter for me and my family when times got tough, I know how food, water, shelter, health and peace are really the only fundamental things in life that matter. The rest is just an added bonus. I have never worked with such a dedicated team who not only get the job done, but constantly try to improve and feed more people. The team is competent, professional and extremely well qualified. No matter how hard I work, it isn't an issue, because everyone I am working with is doing the same thing.

Cons

We are a non-profit in the true sense of the word. Our goal is to "End Hunger Here." With that in mind, salaries, although competitive, are in no way as high as you could earn. Benefits are improving and senior management is constantly looking to add to benefits, knowing it is a key element in retaining our dedicated staff.

Greater Boston Food Bank2016-03-10
  2. "Changes being made will significantly improve the experience here!"

Former Employee - Major Gifts Officer in Boston, MA

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Cause, Strong mission, shrewdly run company with strong financials and excellent reputation.

Cons

Leadership separates itself from the rest of the staff, and puts expectations down to its teams with no real road map of how to arrive at the destination.

Greater Boston Food Bank2019-07-18

"Meaningful work with challenging dynamics"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time

Pros

Willingness to change and be flexible; meaningful mission driven work

Cons

The senior leadership is difficult to work with

Greater Boston Food Bank2019-05-03

"STOP DONATING"

Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The mission. Though the board and donors clearly don’t read these reviews.

Cons

I left the food bank 8 years ago after reaching out to the Board (who should be ashamed of themselves) and asking them to intervene with the leadership gone rogue. I just checked in to see 23 reviews that all say the same thing and nothing has changed. The GBFB would go out of business if: the donors knew their money intended to feed hungry people went largely to replacing top talent. Turnover due to poor leadership and management is costly. And/or that the food bank could no longer attract top talent because of their reputation for being a toxic employer.

Greater Boston Food Bank2019-05-16

"STAY AWAY!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only pros i can see working at this non profit is that you are helping people in need.

Cons

CFO: This guy is pushing out EXCELLENT talent. He recently let go of a great employee we had working here due to feeling this person was going over his back, when in fact he was not. I can't stress it enough - the SLT and the Board of Directors really need to have a talk with this individual. He yells and treats all the employees as if they have no dignity. The COO is actually a very nice lady, and the CEO i believe backs the CFO for reasons i will never understand. I have been working at this company for almost 3 years and i have never seen such a toxic environment. I agree with all the previous posts about this CFO. The CFO NEEDS TO GO. The BOD and the rest of the SLT really need to push this individual out or this great cause will unfortunately be left rotten. The BOD needs to really need to just spend a good week watching the CFO for them to finally say enough is enough, he treats his employees very badly and he needs to go. Its quite simple!

Greater Boston Food Bank2019-04-19

"Toxic Leadership"

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The team members doing the work to achieve the mission are wonderful people who work hard everyday! The food bank does have great health & wellness benefits and education reimbursement program.

Cons

The Senior Leadership team hides behind their Team Values but do not embody the values in their work or how they treat their employees. They talk about a positive work environment but they do not contribute anything but toxicity. They are primarily concerned with their own success and image rather than the success of their team. They've created a toxic environment for their employees who strive everyday to contribute to the mission. Because the food bank is successfully feeding the community and achieving their distribution goals, leadership and the board are blind to and ignoring the issues in the company. The outward success of the food bank does not reflect the internal issues! HR's primary concern is protecting the senior leaders rather than being a support system to the entire company. Even after continually negative employee surveys, nothing is done to help the staff improve their work life. Each year, issues are discussed at all team meetings but are never remedied. Employees become frustrated and leave since there are no changes. There are no systems in place to protect the employees or to foster growth in the food bank. Even when speaking directly to management and to human resources regarding poor management and continually underperforming employees, no steps are ever taken to help remedy the situation. SO discouraging for employees trying to follow the proper channels to report issues. Does not create a positive environment to promote success in staff. There is a 1-2 year turnover rate for the majority of positions, which says a lot of leadership in a company!!! They drive out good people!

Greater Boston Food Bank2018-07-19

"Great organization, Stale leadership"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on your manager, GBFB work policies can be extremely flexible with work from home options and flexible work hours. The overall mission is easy to get behind and be motived by. Everyone that works here understands what we do and why we do it. GBFB has a great reputation in the Boston community so most people I meet are VERY excited to learn more and chat about the cause.

Cons

The culture is so siloed. Each department has their own goals and KPI's and rarely work together to achieve the larger mission. There needs to be a lot more cross-collaboration between departments so that everyone is on the same page. Communication is also terrible. Sometimes the senior leadership over communicates tiny details, and doesn't communicate huge important strategic initiatives. It is very hard to know what is public information that should be shared with donors, and what is still private/internal.

Greater Boston Food Bank2018-06-06

"Toxic Work Environment"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission is important and there is no doubt that The Greater Boston Food Bank is doing critical work in the community.

Cons

The Greater Boston Food Bank (GBFB) is one of the most toxic places that I've ever experienced. Leadership has no interest in promoting or supporting professional development, which means that mistakes are often made. When those mistakes are made, employees are, at times, ridiculed or reprimanded in front of others, causing embarrassment and shame. This leads to a lack of morale that spreads throughout the organization like wildfire. Rather than motivate with positive reinforcement, motivation is attempted through fear. On more than one occasion, colleagues have expressed fear of getting fired for making one-time mistakes or for expressing an opinion about GBFB and its policies that differs from leadership's opinion. There is no point in going to HR to express your concerns, as HR reports to the leadership team and therefore struggles to remain objective. Maybe the worst offense committed at GBFB is promoting or hiring the wrong person into a management position. The old saying is true - people don't quit jobs, they quit bosses. I know plenty of post-GBFB people for whom that is particularly true, myself included. All in all, the review posted a year or two before mine was accurate when they said that you have to "survive" GBFB. Once you come out the other side, you can fully understand the toxicity that it brought to your life and appreciate the fact that you've left such a sad place.

Greater Boston Food Bank2018-06-21

"Management Doesn't Embody Values"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time

Pros

The mission is indisputable, free parking, most team members are interested in and seek collaboration among departments. General benefits, an annual stipend for healthy activities (gym, CSA, active memberships, etc.), and (depending on position) flexible work arrangements are good.

Cons

There are inconsistencies with how people are treated, your perceived value depends on which department you're in. You really need to know how to self-advocate if you want to receive management's trust. There aren't clear-cut standards for hiring practices. The organization is required to take an employee satisfaction survey every year. Every year staff retention issues, senior management's lack of connection to the work, and employees feeling undervalued come up as the primary negatives. But nothing is done about it. It is unclear how one can move up in the organization as there is no standard set for promotions. People are held to different standards when it comes to communication; some can get away with minimal internal communication while others are reprimanded for the same (again, this depends on the department). There are organizational values that we are reviewed on at mid- and end-of-year evaluations, but there is no training or consistent messaging about how to embody these values. Management isn't required to lead by example.

Greater Boston Food Bank2018-04-26

"Look at those salaries ! People are starving and look at the paychecks the SLT are taking home"

Current Employee - Director of Food and Nutrition

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are a member of the SLT - life is good. If you are one who try's to get it done everyday - forget it

Cons

SLT . Micro manage . Benefits . Pay . Non qualified people running departments. I can't wait to find another job !

Greater Boston Food Bank2018-05-07