Greater Boston Food Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Catherine D'Amato

"Mission Driven Employees = Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission! Free parking in Boston! Really good benefits package (matching 401k; comparable health, dental, and vision insurances; tuition reimbursement program; and really decent PTO/Vacation days). Teamwork across departments is encouraged and executed well.

Cons

Pay is decent for a non-profit, but it is non-profit pay. Not really a con, but it is what it is.

"So Discouraging"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission. The committed donors. The hard working staff. Worthy Cause. Exposure to the impact a really dysfunctional leadership team can have on an organization with so much potential.

Cons

I ran into a fellow former employee recently and asked if she had recovered from her time and experience at GBFB. We had a short talk and net net the "leadership" team has yet to be addressed despite years of turnover largely based on discouragement and burn out ... Burn out from trying to make a positive impact on a serious and important cause. Fish rots from the head. And, the "SLT" specifically the CFO who drive talented people out on a regular basis -should be held personally accountable for the cost per hire associated with refilling positions of those scarred by their experience who ultimately have no choice but to leave. They are literally taking food out of the mouths of hungry people. Where the bleep is the board? Everyone put on your happy face and smile for the cameras at the turkey toss.

Advice to Management

Move on.

"Micromanaging, decisions made from top down."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is what attracted me to this organization. Events were interesting, free fruit twice a week. What else.. ... ...

Cons

This was an office position: Zero tolerance for mistakes. Expect to work more than 40 hours a week. Upper management are dismissive of any staff that is not in their group.

Advice to Management

Stop overworking staff and stop being so rigid about breaks.

"Don't bother!"

Current Employee - Warehouse/Administrative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Warehouse/Administrative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of helping needed people. Great lower level non management coworkers who understand the mission and work as a team! Great benefits and health insurance at day one.

Cons

Upper Management manages with an iron fist. Respect is a two way street but not here. Very stressful work conditions and high turnover rates are the norm. Limited opportunities to grow with the company. Work life balance is none existing.

Advice to Management

Things won't change and has been issue for a long time. Not sure how the president and CEO makes 300K annually yet the warehouse guys make a little more than minimum wage? Pretty sad actually. Note: All staff need to be treated fairly and equally.

"Mission is not good enough to keep me here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only thing that kept me here and I'm sure others is the mission. Hunger is a real issue in our community and I am happy GBFB does it's part to "End Hunger Here" and raise awareness as that is key. Unfortunately,helping others while being subjected to this leadership was not enough to make me stay longer. This place is a great resume builder though. You will work hard and connect with a lot of other people. Networking is key!

Cons

A: Leadership. They need to go. Too bad GBFB is to small for an "undercover boss" so they could really see what they are like to people. The constant disrespect by them, belittling, changes being forced upon us, elimination of key people in key positions, nepotism with some new hires/"interns".... it is too much.

B: Poor Management. Management is focused on keeping their jobs and are useless to grow /protect their staff and keep leadership in check.

C: No room for growth. Roles are varied and only those liked by leadership are truly developed to higher roles and responsibilities. Others are here today gone tomorrow. Employee Development is a joke here. Their plans 90-day plans are bs and mean nothing.

D: HR. They are just puppets for leadership. The values mean nothing when they create things that look great on paper

Advice to Management

It is very clear on what needs to change at this place--->the Senior Leadership Team needs to go. Quite frankly the fact that there isn't already a transition plan in place to replace them clearly shows the Board of Directors are more interested in the money being raised, and the number of places they can see the GBFB billboard than the way employees are actually being treated.

In essence they green-light this bad behavior from the TOP. To truly evoke change at GBFB: hire result-oriented leaders who ALSO care about culture, employee engagement, work/life balance, and employee development for ALL and not the "chosen" few. Realize that the incredibly high turnover is NOT because it is a non-profit or because of the industry type and listen to employees from all levels not mouthpieces chosen by leadership to say what they want to hear. Also don't quell the voices of those who care enough to speak out!

"Its amazing they could make such a wonderful mission such a miserable experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The majority of staff at the GBFB are smart, hard-working and dedicated individuals who were attracted to the mission of helping to alleviate hunger in Eastern Mass.

Parking.

Cons

The work culture is oppressive and punitive. I witnessed staff being berated in front of their peers, or treated in a condescending and unprofessional manner, by senior staff. As mistakes cannot be tolerated, a culture of finger-pointing exists that rarely corrects the situation but, rather, perpetuates it. The GBFB will expect staff to give extra hours to their events but shows no willingness to provide its staff with a work-life balance.

What is most concerning and deflating to staff moral is the high rate of turnover in staff. Either the work environment is causing people to say "enough" or the GBFB is really bad at hiring. I think its the former.

The GBFB needs to ask itself "what would we do differently if we had competition?" The answer would be "a lot." Yes, it has a beautiful new building but the culture inside is miserable.

Advice to Management

Recognize how talented and smart your staff is -- and not just some sound-bite in a speech at an annual event. That's pretty rings hollow. There needs to be a focus on providing a culture of creativity, ideas and input from all levels of staff, not just edicts sent down from the top. People come to the GBFB because they want to be part of their incredible mission. They leave because the mission is lost in the oppressive culture that "leadership" seems willing to let go unaddressed.

"Knowing We are making a difference"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time

Pros

Working here brings so much joy and fulfillment in my life. Everyday as I pull up, I watch our trucks filled with food go out on their daily routes. Having had to get help for food and shelter for me and my family when times got tough, I know how food, water, shelter, health and peace are really the only fundamental things in life that matter. The rest is just an added bonus.

I have never worked with such a dedicated team who not only get the job done, but constantly try to improve and feed more people. The team is competent, professional and extremely well qualified. No matter how hard I work, it isn't an issue, because everyone I am working with is doing the same thing.

Cons

We are a non-profit in the true sense of the word. Our goal is to "End Hunger Here." With that in mind, salaries, although competitive, are in no way as high as you could earn. Benefits are improving and senior management is constantly looking to add to benefits, knowing it is a key element in retaining our dedicated staff.

Advice to Management

More workers to do the work.
    Time is money, If you can't raise salaries, be more flexible with time off for the team. I believe dedicated workers are also passionate about other projects. Offer the time to let these passionate workers pursue their dreams.

8. "The worst working experience in my career"

Pros

The only pro I can think of about working there is to help the less fortunate. That's about it. Other than that, the working environment and dealing with the SLT members is "painful ".

Cons

It is amazing for supposedly SLT members to NOT be on the same page in running this organization. It is absolutely embarrassing with how they interact with each other , be-little each other in front of other staff members. Everyone sees it and it is so uncomfortable. And you call this Leadership ! Nuff said. .......

"Toxic, Egotistical Senior Leadership dilutes the mission"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time

Pros

Great mission, partners, and donors. Average to generous PTO package, good health and wellness benefits.

Cons

The Senior Leadership Team (SLT) is toxic, inconsistent, and sets a horrible example for the staff. They routinely mention the organization's values but absolutely DO NOT embody them. It's disheartening to be repeatedly asked for input, feedback, and provide open commentary on the internal cultural challenges faced by employees but then nothing constructive is done with the feedback because the SLT refuses to look in the mirror and admit that they are the root of 95% of the problems. It is unclear whether the Board of Directors does not care to take action or whether they are fed lies by the SLT. The turnover is incredible, yet nothing is done about it. The SLT always has a reason to explain away a departure so that it doesn't reflect poorly. The reality is that team members are leaving due to the SLT but no one is watching from the Board. It's amazing that the demoralizing internal issues have not hit the front page of the Boston Globe yet. The SLT members have such large egos that it gets in the way of doing business.

Advice to Management

SLT needs to get on the same page, stop fabricating lies (this is a BIG problem - especially with 1 SLT member), and stop pushing your own personal agendas. The lack of collaboration among the supposed leaders is astounding and is a direct result of the silos that the SLT creates with their behavior. Treat employees with respect: listen to them and hold other SLT members accountable for their actions and inappropriate communications.

"I DO NOT RECOMMEND WORKING HERE !!"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worthy and excellent mission and cause to work hard for and be proud of. The organization is widely respected and supported by the greater Boston community and is hugely successful. Business goals and objectives are consistently met and GBFB is very strong and thriving financially.

Cons

I am writing this review in good faith and because I realize that, while I love GBFB, if I had known what I do now, I would not have chosen to work here, and thus cannot recommend working here. But I continue to be dedicated to the mission and my job at least for now. So if this review can make a difference and inspire change, or prevent someone else from making a bad decision to work here, then it was worth it. Here goes...

It starts with the top as all organizations do and the senior leadership team has no resemblance of an actual team. They are very dysfunctional which trickles down and negatively affects everyone else no matter what department or level. This includes fighting among themselves, a major lack of collaboration, backstabbing, and lack of agreement.

This environment leads to key talent leaving the organization due to lack of autonomy and high turnover in general. The executives try to say the turnover is due to lack of opportunity or people needing to make more money in Boston, but most of the turnover is due to the very distrusting, micromanaging, blaming, frustrating culture.

To elaborate, the executives seem to play an "us vs. them" game against the VP's who are basically (successfully) running the internal operations of GBFB. The executives are so worried about themselves, how they look to the board and affluent community, and if their jobs are in jeopardy that they suppress the VP's and anyone else that emerges with good ideas or a strong work ethic.

Because the community guidelines for reviews allow executives to be called out individually, it should also be noted, and is common knowledge at GBFB that the CFO treats females that work for him and closely with him very badly. He intimidates, berates and sets unrealistic and poorly communicated expectations with these females but plays favorites with the males by giving his male favorites big raises, tickets to events and bonuses and allows them to perform however they wish, making excuses for them if they make a mistake or miss a deadline. If you can believe it, HR reports to this person. He is on his 3rd HR Director (all female) and 3rd assistant (all female) in 5 years because he treats people so badly. When HR tries to speak up or stand up to him, he pushes them out and forces them to leave. Female managers and directors leave meetings with him in tears because of his unrealistic expectations and demands. He has tremendous power and is supported by the CEO and the board of directors (of which I have to assume are clueless to his behavior) so it appears he is never held accountable because the behavior continues.

I could go on and on, but it is safe to say, GBFB is a very unpleasant environment for which will continue this way unless the executives either leave GBFB or the board of directors holds them accountable for the culture they created. But I am not optimistic for either.

Advice to Management

This advice is to the board of directors: please figure out a way to transition the current executive 'team' out of the organization. And bring in executives who know how to lead and treat people well.