Greater Boston Food Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Greater Boston Food Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2019

2.2
Greater Boston Food Bank CEO Catherine D'Amato (no image)
Catherine D'Amato

"Money Mongers"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank

Pros

"The Mission" and take that as total sarcasm

Cons

Cons are working with a bunch of money hungry CONS. The way they treat people is a total disgust, the mission is used as a disguise to mistreat the employees who slave for them. Everything is a front they act like the mob with reckless abandon, racism is running rampant in this place. Though not uncommon in America they have not one African American male of any significant in that building. Their excuse was in over... 20 years not one African American has applied. They falsify documents in order to crush employees with back door deals. Not to mention no Hispanic male of any significant role in the building.

Advice to Management

Be kind to all people, not just the ones who are willing to compromise themselves. And be true to the mission, I am sure the founder never envisioned making a half million dollars just to get her mission accomplished. I would say to the board make changes bring in new fresh innovative young brave souls, to carry the torch.

Greater Boston Food Bank2018-04-30
  2. "Non-profit"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time

Pros

All the people who work there are very dedicated, and very nice.

Cons

Not enough employees for the work involved. There is some micro-management.

Greater Boston Food Bank2017-11-06

"Not a happy place"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time

Pros

Mission and GBFB team members - very dedicated

Cons

Leadership needs to change. Not progressive or innovative. Double standard. Not unusual to be yelled at my management. Not cool. Too much turnover.

Advice to Management

Move on

Greater Boston Food Bank2017-07-21

"So Discouraging"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The mission. The committed donors. The hard working staff. Worthy Cause. Exposure to the impact a really dysfunctional leadership team can have on an organization with so much potential.

Cons

I ran into a fellow former employee recently and asked if she had recovered from her time and experience at GBFB. We had a short talk and net net the "leadership" team has yet to be addressed despite years of turnover largely based on discouragement and burn out ... Burn out from trying to make a positive impact on a serious and important cause. Fish rots from the head. And, the "SLT" specifically the CFO who drive... talented people out on a regular basis -should be held personally accountable for the cost per hire associated with refilling positions of those scarred by their experience who ultimately have no choice but to leave. They are literally taking food out of the mouths of hungry people. Where the bleep is the board? Everyone put on your happy face and smile for the cameras at the turkey toss.

Advice to Management

Move on.

Greater Boston Food Bank2017-03-27

"The worst working experience in my career"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank

Pros

The only pro I can think of about working there is to help the less fortunate. That's about it. Other than that, the working environment and dealing with the SLT members is "painful ".

Cons

It is amazing for supposedly SLT members to NOT be on the same page in running this organization. It is absolutely embarrassing with how they interact with each other , be-little each other in front of other staff members. Everyone sees it and it is so uncomfortable. And you call this Leadership ! Nuff said. .......

Greater Boston Food Bank2016-12-30

"Mission Driven Employees = Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great mission! Free parking in Boston! Really good benefits package (matching 401k; comparable health, dental, and vision insurances; tuition reimbursement program; and really decent PTO/Vacation days). Teamwork across departments is encouraged and executed well.

Cons

Pay is decent for a non-profit, but it is non-profit pay. Not really a con, but it is what it is.

Greater Boston Food Bank2016-03-29

"Micromanaging, decisions made from top down."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The mission is what attracted me to this organization. Events were interesting, free fruit twice a week. What else.. ... ...

Cons

This was an office position: Zero tolerance for mistakes. Expect to work more than 40 hours a week. Upper management are dismissive of any staff that is not in their group.

Advice to Management

Stop overworking staff and stop being so rigid about breaks.

Greater Boston Food Bank2016-02-05

"Toxic, Egotistical Senior Leadership dilutes the mission"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time

Pros

Great mission, partners, and donors. Average to generous PTO package, good health and wellness benefits.

Cons

The Senior Leadership Team (SLT) is toxic, inconsistent, and sets a horrible example for the staff. They routinely mention the organization's values but absolutely DO NOT embody them. It's disheartening to be repeatedly asked for input, feedback, and provide open commentary on the internal cultural challenges faced by employees but then nothing constructive is done with the feedback because the SLT refuses to look... in the mirror and admit that they are the root of 95% of the problems. It is unclear whether the Board of Directors does not care to take action or whether they are fed lies by the SLT. The turnover is incredible, yet nothing is done about it. The SLT always has a reason to explain away a departure so that it doesn't reflect poorly. The reality is that team members are leaving due to the SLT but no one is watching from the Board. It's amazing that the demoralizing internal issues have not hit the front page of the Boston Globe yet. The SLT members have such large egos that it gets in the way of doing business.

Advice to Management

SLT needs to get on the same page, stop fabricating lies (this is a BIG problem - especially with 1 SLT member), and stop pushing your own personal agendas. The lack of collaboration among the supposed leaders is astounding and is a direct result of the silos that the SLT creates with their behavior. Treat employees with respect: listen to them and hold other SLT members accountable for their actions and... inappropriate communications.

Greater Boston Food Bank2016-01-21

"I DO NOT RECOMMEND WORKING HERE !!"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worthy and excellent mission and cause to work hard for and be proud of. The organization is widely respected and supported by the greater Boston community and is hugely successful. Business goals and objectives are consistently met and GBFB is very strong and thriving financially.

Cons

I am writing this review in good faith and because I realize that, while I love GBFB, if I had known what I do now, I would not have chosen to work here, and thus cannot recommend working here. But I continue to be dedicated to the mission and my job at least for now. So if this review can make a difference and inspire change, or prevent someone else from making a bad decision to work here, then it was worth it. ... Here goes... It starts with the top as all organizations do and the senior leadership team has no resemblance of an actual team. They are very dysfunctional which trickles down and negatively affects everyone else no matter what department or level. This includes fighting among themselves, a major lack of collaboration, backstabbing, and lack of agreement. This environment leads to key talent leaving the organization due to lack of autonomy and high turnover in general. The executives try to say the turnover is due to lack of opportunity or people needing to make more money in Boston, but most of the turnover is due to the very distrusting, micromanaging, blaming, frustrating culture. To elaborate, the executives seem to play an "us vs. them" game against the VP's who are basically (successfully) running the internal operations of GBFB. The executives are so worried about themselves, how they look to the board and affluent community, and if their jobs are in jeopardy that they suppress the VP's and anyone else that emerges with good ideas or a strong work ethic. Because the community guidelines for reviews allow executives to be called out individually, it should also be noted, and is common knowledge at GBFB that the CFO treats females that work for him and closely with him very badly. He intimidates, berates and sets unrealistic and poorly communicated expectations with these females but plays favorites with the males by giving his male favorites big raises, tickets to events and bonuses and allows them to perform however they wish, making excuses for them if they make a mistake or miss a deadline. If you can believe it, HR reports to this person. He is on his 3rd HR Director (all female) and 3rd assistant (all female) in 5 years because he treats people so badly. When HR tries to speak up or stand up to him, he pushes them out and forces them to leave. Female managers and directors leave meetings with him in tears because of his unrealistic expectations and demands. He has tremendous power and is supported by the CEO and the board of directors (of which I have to assume are clueless to his behavior) so it appears he is never held accountable because the behavior continues. I could go on and on, but it is safe to say, GBFB is a very unpleasant environment for which will continue this way unless the executives either leave GBFB or the board of directors holds them accountable for the culture they created. But I am not optimistic for either.

Advice to Management

This advice is to the board of directors: please figure out a way to transition the current executive 'team' out of the organization. And bring in executives who know how to lead and treat people well.

Greater Boston Food Bank2016-01-20

"Overall Review"

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank

Pros

Great people and a great mission. Teamwork is at the core of the company and everyone really works together with the mission in mind. Flexible work environment and compassionate colleagues.

Cons

Senior Leadership creates a weird culture and there is a definite hierarchy within the company. There isn't enough cross-team communication stemming from the top.

Advice to Management

Communicate and trust in your employees. Let them do what you hired them to do and do not micro-manage.

Greater Boston Food Bank2015-05-26