Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Love the company"

Former Intern - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience working here. I really had the option to dive in and get great on hands experience in a variety of areas. Highly recommend this experience to anyone looking for a positive intern experience.

Cons

This has more to do with the nature of nonprofits, but occasionally management had a difficult time providing support because of their own high volume workload.

Advice to Management

I cannot think of anything in particular I would advise management to do. I was close with some of the higher up employees and they were all great.

2. "Most Of Upper Management Does Not Care About It's Employees"

I worked at Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition full-time

Pros

The Controller is excellent, and runs most of the fiscal department on his own. He genuinely cares about his employees, but because of his work load is not provided with the time that he needs to train new staff the way that he would like to.

Cons

There are bullies on the fiscal staff that effect the morale and productivity of their workers. Management does not take this issue seriously.

Advice to Management

Take bullying seriously before the bully becomes a liability. Take the time to train your staff on policies, procedures, systems, and new tasks. Value your staff.

3. "Experience"

Former Intern - Student in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Student in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Personal
    Hands on experience
    Relaxed
    Opportunity for growth
    Connections

Cons

Unpaid Internship
    Supervisor was very unsociable at times

Advice to Management

Sharmain is the best CEO by far I have ever come across

4. "To succeed at UAC, work smarter, not harder"

Former Intern - Communications Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Communications Intern in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

- One of few NPOs that I've worked for that afforded interns the opportunity to assume leadership over internal and external projects

- If you are a work-study student, you will appreciate the workload more than an unpaid intern

-Great opportunity for building and sustaining relationships with many prominent people in Greater Philadelphia and their affiliations (celebrities included).

- CEO is cutthroat with a purpose. She wants the best of you and nothing less. Rule of thumb: Make a lasting impression with UAC by initiating change and fostering a positive company culture.

Cons

- I would not advise anyone over the age of 25 to work as an unpaid intern. There is a small margin for transportation funds in the budget. At best, hire an Uber or become a work-study student.

-Middle management shall not oversee intern. Instead, hire personnel (freelance contractor) to manage interns, especially for the Executive department.

Advice to Management

-Generate intern surveys to obtain honest feedback about workload (including administrative tasks) and allow time to reflect on pros and cons of your existing relationships with each other and external communications.

5. "Nonprofit with Corporate Management"

I worked at Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition full-time

Pros

Good work for the community,
    You learn a lot about the needs in Philadelphia
    Good connections for future work

Cons

Not much transparency between upper management and employees
    A lot of politics behind the scenes
    No career path for hard workers
    You got to know the right people in management to progress
    Most of department efforts go to a select group of people in upper management

Advice to Management

Nurture your talent and give incentive to grow
    Release some of the control for the better if the entire organization
    Play fair - if other people are doing the work allow them to share in the credit

6. "A good learning experience"

Former Intern - Marketing Project in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Marketing Project in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Since the internship was unpaid, they made an effort to provide us with good experience and networking. I felt that I was able to make a difference for the programs I worked with. Co-workers, both interns and employees, were welcoming and friendly. The CEO, Sharmain, takes a personal interest in your work and really cares about your professional development. A great place to learn and gain experience by doing meaningful work.

Cons

The lack of payment can make it hard if you have to pay for your commute. The intern manager had to stop working for personal reasons, which made access to our supervisor more difficult. This should be rectified on the next go-around.

Advice to Management

Hire someone to manage the interns, which I believe was already in the process of being fixed.

7. "I love this organization!"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Greater Philadelphia Urban Affairs Coalition part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere at UAC is wonderful and friendly. There is a sense of family here and it is always a pleasure to come to work here. There is seldom any problems when it comes to fellow workers.

Cons

For me there are none. When I say that there are no cons, by that I mean as a part time worker when I start my afternoon, I am prepared for whatever the rest of the day may bring. I am the first line of defense and I am good at what I do.

Advice to Management

Management at this office does not come any better. From the meetings to celebrating a birthday, a birth to assisting the other programs that are linked to management in this office the management team handles each situation professionally.

8. "Great people to work with"

Pros

Lots of networking opportunities here

Cons

Not a lot of funding

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. "overall it is a great place to start but is lacking in various areas"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

you an take time off and it is totally okay. There are mostly older people working in the offices and they are very nice it has a strong family vibe

Cons

In non -profit people can tend to become lazy and not seek opportunities to make company better
    fiscal department can be all over the place
    compensation can be better

Advice to Management

there should be more training and opportunities for advancement. fiscal should meet with programs to be on the same page