Greater Than One Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Greater Than One CEO Elizabeth Izard Apelles
Elizabeth Izard Apelles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life balance is amazing and the work load isn't that bad depending on what team you are on and who your boss is (in 7 reviews)

• As a junior employee, I was given the opportunity for a ton of upward mobility and to learn a lot about the industry (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management pretends that things are always peachy, but in reality, they're not (in 5 reviews)

• Junior staff is TERRIBLY underpaid (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to start if you're new to media"

I worked at Greater Than One full-time

Pros

- You get to wear many hats
    - Leadership truly works hard
    - You learn a lot

Cons

- You need to keep management in check when it comes to allowing for a work/life balance - otherwise, they tend to take advantage

2. "Great People, Terrible management"

I worked at Greater Than One full-time

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with. Everyone was so nice and got along great.

Cons

The entry-level staff is super overworked and underpaid. If you are just starting your career, this is not the place to do it. Management is lost and does not know how to direct the people under them.

Advice to Management

Learn how to actually manage people. Train your management team. Also, clarify your processes. In the time I was there, the process to do things changed like 3 times and no one could agree on one. Super disorganized when it comes to running the departments.

"Place to Learn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Greater Than One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

extremely intelligent and friendly staff
    excellent learning opportunites
    most departments give staff complete autonomy

Cons

with autonomy comes responsibilities well outside of your realm of expertise
    C-level is somewhat oblivious
    lack of direction being passed down from high level managers to mid level employees

Advice to Management

hire more intermediate level staff and give employees the opportunity to work with clients, not jump around constantly

4. "No, I'm serious, they forced interns and employees write good reviews for them"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Not a whole lot, free beer on Fridays, junior staff was pretty good.

Cons

-They don't take real review seriously, and they should take it as constructive criticism.
    -Come up with completely inaccurate statements, like "this is the first review for 2016, so his statement about intern writing reviews for us is impossible." How does it being the first review of 2016 prove anything to be impossible?!?
    -I WAS PRESENT when they were "encouraging" people to write good reviews on glass door, so yes it is TRUE. All your "5 Star" reviews are obviously BS.

Advice to Management

-Take your REAL reviews seriously
    -Don't make assumptions, like the assumption that the person writing this is a "he"

"Great place to learn as much as you want to, but with no long-term perspective..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Greater Than One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot be more grateful to be under a Director (and moreover a leader) who had a long-term vision for the team. Tech should be a continuous evolution and it is crucial to understand the big picture before implementing the results.

If you are somebody who is fresh from college, has an existing skill set to expand, and have the smallest opportunities, you can get as far as you want to, building the path towards the next steps of your career.

During my time at Greater Than One, I have worked with all departments and got a thorough understanding of how Advertising and Pharma tied together.

Cons

The company is unfortunately mostly led by people who doesn't know what they are doing, don't care, and spends too much time creating useless processes, without realizing long-term purposes.

The constant headache stems from the business model that the Account Team runs the client facing role. As a result of Account Managers, who consistently fails to understand the needs of Product Delivery, and keep good documentation/requirements, the company constantly makes the same mistakes over and over again.

People are promoted into Management positions as a result of seniority, but almost never through taking the initiative to make a difference. This is why the Media Team is in shambles. With the exception of a middle manager who actually takes into account of all situations, the rest of the department heads are absolutely clueless. Even more astonishing is when one of the Directors asked somebody in Tech to train their new team in how to check for mistakes. Shouldn't this be covered in training your employees to understand their roles?

Advice to Management

Elizabeth, wake up!!

Evaluate what the people whom you trust the most are doing to the company. Think about the lessons learned from Adjacent to One, Genentech, and Option Care!

Invest in growing the strengths of your Junior Staff. You've had some of the most proactive Junior Staff in the past year and so many of them left due to mismanagement. Think about the fact that these are some of the people who can drive your company into the future!

Greater Than One Response

May 19, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

We appreciate your pros that your Director had vision. Driving innovation in digital and healthcare requires that in spades. Thank you for calling that out. Certainly, we can do a better job... More

"Manager"

I have been working at Greater Than One full-time

Pros

The people who work at Greater Than One are the smartest and have more integrity than any company I've ever worked for.

Cons

They're going through a transition, onboarding many new employees, adding a new operating system, so it takes more time; however, I'm learning a great deal.

Advice to Management

This is a culture worth preserving.

"Top-heavy management, needs better distribution of work"

I worked at Greater Than One full-time

Pros

Office is young and friendly, and benefits are all right. Employees get along well with each other and go out socially on a regular basis. Bosses are generally easy going and approachable. And free beer and wine every Friday.

Cons

Too many high level expensive employees that don't produce work, which means the company can't afford more people to do the work. Employees that are good at their job suffer because they have to support coworkers that aren't doing good work, but nothing ever seems to get done about the problem. Management seems pretty unaware how much some people are carrying the dead weight of others.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Great CEO's see their company as an open platform rather than a closed company. They go out of their way to meet new and interesting people who then become trusted partners and contributors.

That is what you find at Greater Than One. The CEO is a dynamic individual who values employees as people with innovative ideas and treats everyone she comes into contact with absolute respect. She is true to her word and will go the extra mile to make herself readily available for anything that is needed. It it a privilege to work with her.

Cons

I have no negative comments about working here. The culture at Greater Than One is great and everyone is so pleasant to be around.

Greater Than One Response

May 19, 2017 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your comment. While we're not the right place for some, clearly we are for you. We are grateful to have you here.

"Poor Outlook"

I worked at Greater Than One full-time

Pros

- Very nice employees, everyone works and plays well together
    - Great location
    - Decent culture: Beer Friday's, company outings, softball team
    - Strong account management and strategy departments
    - CEO is motivated and involved

Cons

- Unorganized, nobody's held accountable
    - Performs layoffs in large numbers quite frequently (can't keep clients)
    - Losing business, not winning new business
    - No leadership
    - Media team is falling apart. Unseasoned, high turnover, not strategic, no management. Lot's of mistakes have been made here, which has resulted in losing business opportunities.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders to mentor teams, hold teams acceptable, and drive the business forward. Team's can't learn and grow if they're reporting to partners who are hands off.

"Don't drink the Kool-Aid"

I worked at Greater Than One full-time

Pros

- People. I met some of my best friends at Greater Than One.

- Free food. Fully stocked kitchen made getting lunch everyday really easy.

- A few senior leaders act as champions for the junior staff who do not feel comfortable sticking up for themselves when bullied by other management.

- Wine and Beer Fridays (happy hours). Friday afternoons were pretty relaxing and fun.

Cons

- Executive management doesn't manage well. Employees are promoted into positions with no proper training and don't know how to manage their people (or projects).

- Work/life balance is laughable at best. The expectation is presented to employees, mainly junior staff, that you must work until the wee hours of the morning to be considered a "good employee". People use "I was here late last night" or "I worked over the weekend" as some weird badge of honor. Stop it. It's not about working longer or harder, it's about working smarter.

- Completely unorganized. There is no process for the completion of tasks across teams which makes it impossible to complete work in an organized, efficient, and correct manner.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the fact that your employees are humans, just like you. Stop being so focused on growing and gaining clients that you neglect the human element within your staff.

- Leadership training is a must.

- Your employees are not robots. They have boyfriends, husbands, girlfriends, dates, and yes, sometimes they just want to leave at a normal hour to read a book or watch their favorite tv show. A well-rested, healthy employee will be your best employee.

- Organize your management, your staff, and your work. Don't just talk about it. DO IT. Take action.

" Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein. Listen to that guy. He was kind of smart.