Greeley and Hansen Reviews

Updated May 6, 2020

2.9
Greeley and Hansen CEO Andrew Richardson
Andrew Richardson
Pros
  • "I appreciate the old school focus on solid water/wastewater engineering, without too much corporate fuss(in 4 reviews)

• "I appreciated the company’s benefits, such as summer hours and especially retirement plan benefits (401K, Company Profit Sharing and pension plan)(in 4 reviews)

Cons

"Solid Communication and Organization"

5.0
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to excel as an engineer, management is actively cultivating and training young professionals

Cons

Work load can be demanding

"Not worth it"

1.0
    Former Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Greeley and Hansen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-I enjoyed working with some of the people there. -The pay and benefits were decent. -Opportunity to be independent on some projects -Good office location in the loop

Cons

- Horrid and toxic culture with a large emphasis on being a "company man" and importance of being an associate. This resulted in a good number of employees that would rather brown nose their way to the top than produce quality engineering work. -No bonus unless you are an associate. This is the first engineering firm I have worked for that does not give every single employee a year end bonus (including administrative staff that have no way of ever becoming associate). You could bust your butt all year and maybe get an adequate pay raise above the inflation rate. -Senior leadership thoughts and opinions of doing something were final in most cases. If you disagree with the way something should be done, you may as well as keep those thoughts to yourself as they will fall on deaf ears. -Marketing/proposal work is mostly expected to be done on your own time. The last thing employees want to do on top of all the engineering work that needs to be done is work for free. -Lack of senior staff. The firm turned into a revolving door for senior staff. There are insufficient experienced engineers that can take a design from start to finish. This results in overloading of the senior staff which results in...wait for it...senior staff leaving. Overloading staff is a great way to impact the quality of the engineering work being done. -Lack of response from HR. I got crickets from HR when trying to get a response on pressing issues/needs.

April 8, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. Please know that we take great pride in our staff, and we are glad to know that you enjoyed working with your team members at Greeley and Hansen. We’re also pleased to hear that you found your compensation and benefits satisfactory. These are very important aspects of our firm’s philosophy. We are sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with our Associates Program, which is a career path development program for staff with the interest and ability to serve as leaders of our firm. The specific criteria for the selection of participants in the Associates Program is delineated in our Employee Policy Manual, so that staff can understand what is expected of them to achieve the position of Associate, and to continue on the pathway leading to a senior leadership position with our firm. Perhaps you were not fully aware of these stated requirements related to the Associates selection process. Also, although the firm does not provide a “year-end bonus” to all staff members, we do provide a discretionary profit sharing payment to all eligible full-time staff each year. The annual amount provided is based on the firm’s performance and profitability along with the number of years each staff member has been with the firm. Obviously, the firm has qualified engineering staff at all levels of experience, and we certainly recognize and value the contributions of all of our staff members, including our senior staff, who bring many years of collective knowledge and proven experience to our firm and our clients. Overall, it seems like Greeley and Hansen was just not the right fit for you, and we understand and respect this. Given the unsettled and unprecedented times we are all living in, we believe that it is important for everyone to be in a work environment that is right for them and their personal needs. As such, we wish you the best of luck in your career and your future endeavors.

"Old School Engineering Firm, Slowly Changing with the Times"

4.0
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen full-time for more than a year

Pros

I appreciate the old school focus on solid water/wastewater engineering, without too much corporate fuss. Generous ability to attend conferences, seminars, and other external career development opportunities on company time. Salaries are well above industry average and most of the benefits (insurance and other) as well.

Cons

Currently suffering from a difficult leadership/culture transition, and trying to adapt old school culture to the already changed engineering consulting landscape. Internal systems have not kept apace with developing technology, not always, but new ways of doing things can definitely be an asset. Separate pools for sick time and PTO, below industry average.

Continue reading
  4. "Overall poor. Employees are not appreciated despite their claim to do just that."

2.0

I worked at Greeley and Hansen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A pit stop to gain some experience, that is all.

Cons

Long hours, micromanagement at its best, way high staff turnover, ineffective leadership top down.

December 9, 2019

We’re sorry to hear that your experiences working at Greeley and Hansen did not meet your full expectations. Even though we strive to provide a meaningful personal work experience for each and every one of our employees, of course, that may not always be possible depending on individual perspectives. However, we thank you for providing your feedback and would welcome additional details related to your specific experiences at Feedback@greeley-hansen.com.

"A Company Going in the Wrong Direction"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Greeley and Hansen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay. There is a lot of opportunities to move up in the company, but I wouldn't expect much guidance since there are not a lot of seniors at the company anymore.

Cons

-Lack of mentors and senior leaders in the offices. -Offices have young staff that work on solutions to new projects utilizing previous projects as templates without having the core knowledge needed to develop unique solutions. Oftentimes they call people "experts" after one project. -Poor company organization. Mid-level leaders are not often capable. Leaders are often identified based on if they meet certain criteria such as gender and race rather than performance and competency. -A lot of recent bad hires. -No company transparency. No information on company performance, direction, or people leaving the company. -Paternity leave is 1 day. Fewer holidays than competitors. No time off to vote.

July 29, 2019Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to submit your thoughts about our firm. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. Please know that we are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent, open, and collaborative environment that we hope works for everybody. So, we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t have the best experience during your time working here. But, we recognize that, unfortunately, Greeley and Hansen may not be for everyone. And, there is no doubt that we will always have things that we can improve upon. That said, we are happy to hear that you felt favorable about your compensation and the many opportunities that were available to you to advance within our company. We’re disappointed to hear that you felt leaders were identified based on their gender or race, rather than competency or performance. At Greeley and Hansen, it’s a key business imperative for our firm to be strongly committed to diversity, inclusion, and belonging in all that we do, and we will continue to work toward making our workforce as diverse as possible. We will particularly direct our diversity efforts on: expanding opportunities for people of color; gender equity; LGBTQ+ status; disability status; veteran status; and on the other important dimensions of diversity that we know will make our workplace the most inclusive it can be. When it comes to our website, we agree we have much room to improve. While we often utilize other social media platforms to share news and updates about our firm, we know the website is still an important part of our on-line presence. As such, we are working on the development of a new site, as we know that this is important to our staff. Regarding your comments about our benefits program, it’s important to note that in addition to our well-funded pension plan, we offer a 401(k) plan (with employer matching contributions), plus we offer a separate annual profit sharing component for all regular employees. Some of our more advanced benefits include a wide variety of health plan options (including same-sex and domestic partnership coverages), an on-line health program that allows for free medical care for routine illnesses, a flexible “summer hours” program to allow for additional time off, pet insurance, a health advocate program, a legal plan, on-line wellness resources that include discounts for a variety of health related matters (i.e., discounted gym memberships and the like), and adoption assistance that includes financial support for employees, just to name a few. That said, we are still always looking for ways to enhance these benefit offerings to make it the best program to meet the wide variety of needs that our employees have today. We appreciate your comments regarding paternity leave, and we, of course, offer time away to vote (in fact, we have a specific policy #708 that outlines our time off for voting purposes). At Greeley and Hansen, we strongly believe that civic engagement is the hallmark of our company. As such, we remain steadfast in our commitment to supporting local civic organizations that also work to improve the communities where we live and work (both domestically and internationally). This is in direct alignment with our overall mission of creating better urban environments. Thanks again for taking the time to leave this review, and we wish you the best in your career. If you are willing to provide additional details, feel free to e-mail us at Feedback@greeley-hansen.com

6. "Limited Growth"

Current Employee - Project Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, but slow growth in all aspects. (Pay, Knowledge, Duties/Responsibilities) Smallish company so growth within is slow and low ceiling. Repetitive and routine if you're into that.

Cons

Outdated Systems. Disorganized, Inexperienced Project Managers sprinkled throughout. Shifting Expectations out of work.

July 29, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to provide your comments. Greeley and Hansen certainly values input from staff. Regarding your feedback on clarity and transparency, it’s always our goal to communicate in an effective manner. It’s not always perfect, but we do really work hard to keep staff informed. If you would like to provide any additional details about your work experiences at Greeley and Hansen, feel free to e-mail us at Feedback@greeley-hansen.com

"Not the Worst, Not Great Either"

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Greeley and Hansen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, summer hours, diverse, pension plan

Cons

Lots of potential but it seems they’re stuck in their old ways. Limited growth opportunities, outdated company culture—no casual Friday’s, Chicago office stayed open in -20° weather, doesn’t close the office early before holidays, office is open the day after Thanksgiving, archaic website, opportunities to work from home are limited depending on level and department, etc. Depending on your department and role, they will work you until you burn out and there’s very little reward (would be somewhat worth it if they offered end of the year bonuses at the very least). They’re losing talented hard-working people and from the outside looking in, it doesn’t seem they have an interest in figuring out what needs to change.

July 29, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We’re so glad to hear that during your time with us you valued your co-workers, our diverse work environment, our summer hours program, and our pension plan. We take great pride in our staff and these programs. In fact, we periodically survey our staff to get direct and open feedback on current and new programs that are of most importance to our employees. As you know, the majority of our clients are in the municipal sector and, as a consulting firm, it does sometimes, unfortunately, require us to be available even during extreme weather events or at other inopportune times to serve our client’s needs (which can sometimes be unexpected). Of course, during these periods, our firm’s leadership works hard to take appropriate precautions (including providing flexible working arrangements) to help staff stay safe and secure during these times. We’re sorry that this information was perhaps not adequately explained to you or that the flexible work arrangements were not made available to you during that weather situation. That said, the firm is always exploring the possibility of new and innovative options to help accommodate more flexible and alternative work arrangements to better meet the evolving needs of today’s workforce. If you would like to provide any additional details regarding your experiences, please feel free to e-mail us at Feedback@greeley-hansen.com

"Great Company Culture"

5.0
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Greeley and Hansen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong company culture Great leadership Professional development opportunities Value diversity Promote project ownership

Cons

Some lack of project variety

"Has Potential"

Former Employee - Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Greeley and Hansen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pension and 401k matching, summer hours program, flexibility with work vs home life, encourage association participation, genuine people

Cons

At the time, lack of direction for the company in the region and lack of local mentors. Poor internal systems resources and MAJOR lack of support regarding the internal project management systems. Poor marketing segment support.

March 11, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re glad that you not only valued many of the benefits we offer, but also the great people that work here. Since we are consistently assessing and working to improve our systems and processes, we do welcome direct comments from staff on how we can make them better and more effective. So, please know that we appreciate your input. If you are willing to provide additional details, feel free to e-mail us at Feedback@greeley-hansen.com

"Horrible place to work."

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen full-time

Pros

Culture is horrible. So much turnover for a reason.

Cons

Executive management in Chicago acts like they are doing you a favor "mentoring you" with fear.

Found 51 reviews