Greeley and Hansen Reviews | Glassdoor

Andrew Richardson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Simply not worth it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Chicago office is in the heart of Downtown Chicago and was recently remodeled. Unfortunately, that's about as far as the pros go.

Cons

Going into work everyday isn't worth the hassle of trying to stay positive. There are so many different cliques at the office it's like being back in high school, and if you don't fall into one of those cliques it's just tough luck for you. The President and HR may be the worst clique. You can tell he favors that team over any of the other groups in the office. Communication and priorities are very bad amongst management which often puts the other employees in a highly stressful situation of staying late or working on the weekends to finish projects that could have been finished much sooner. Despite the President and the CEO working primarily at the Chicago office they are rarely seen. The company has provided breakfast once a week over the winter but neither the President or CEO have ever come. Overall, they aren't a very inclusive group and frankly don't seem to ever have their act together.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and realize that the happiness of your employees will directly effect their performance. Without the employees, the company would cease to exist.

Greeley and Hansen Response

Mar 17, 2016 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We realize that many Greeley and Hansen staff members who work together closely each day form strong team bonds. To encourage additional interface... More

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Greeley and Hansen full-time

Pros

coworkers are talented and easy to work with.

Cons

Ignoring the needs of employees, management views money invested in employee programs as overindulgence. Recognition is biased towards the same group of employees.

Advice to Management

Develop programs that directly improves your staff work life balance.

Greeley and Hansen Response

Mar 17, 2016 – Company Representative

Thank you for providing your comments. We value our talented staff, and it's good to hear that you enjoyed collaborating with them as your co-workers. We appreciate your input, and if you are... More

"A Non-Fulfilling Career"

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was once a rewarding place to work staffed with numerous great engineers.

Cons

The new corporate model no longer stresses engineering. It's all about perception and image. No clear career path. Appears to promote based upon blind loyalty rather than competence.

Advice to Management

When was the last time the company was recognized for a great engineering achievement? Refocus on the engineering aspect of the business and less time spent wanting to be liked.

"Do not work here. No advancement."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good team members to work with

Cons

HR, CEO COO - Senior Management. Salaries are not fair, Women Associate Engineers get paid less than male junior engineers. Senior Management does not care about employees. They will only promote those that are "yes" people, irregardless of experience. Benefits are lacking. COO cares more about the facade of the main office, instead of its core - employees. HR department won't help out easily when asked about insurance or benefit issues/questions. Once you have elected to leave the company, they will not give you an exit interview, blame all problems, bad mouth you to client or other workers. Whomever is writing reviews that work/life balance is awesome is not a senior engineer with project management duties. They will be required to work 80 hours wk, weekends and on your "free time" handle business development initiatives, committee work.

Advice to Management

If they care - ask your employees about the company. listen to them and take action. reward, praise and review your benefits. They are appalling

"Disappointed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

work life balance is adequate

Cons

Senior management care more about how the company looks as opposed to being an employee driven company. Employee morale is low, little to no appreciation. Agree with that they shun ex-employees. HR Department is useless, you ask questions and the senior members, sigh and sometimes tell you that they are too busy to help out. Exasperating to day the least.

Advice to Management

Provide growth to all employee's, listen ... ask questions. You are working inefficiently when the Senior Management cares about money and money alone, the little guy or gal gets lost.

"I got out as soon as I could."

Pros

Office very nice, it looks like they spent a lot of money in remodeling.

Cons

IT infrastructure and financial systems are very antiquated which coincides with middle management way of thinking. Some of the middle managers talk down and are downright mean to their employees. CEO wants to compete with the big boys but has old time managers that are not in line with that way of thinking.

"No growth, support, training, compensation"

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen full-time

Pros

The people that work there are awesome.( Co workers)

Cons

Senior Management, Human Resources are awful to deal with. Senior Management only care about the fake awards, fake "new" remodeling of the home office. The HR group walk around like divas, bath mouth employees, gossip and don't respond in a timely manner when it comes to inquiries. I am afraid to ask a question based on past experiences. The company activities do feel forced and awkward. There are few lead women or minorities in upper management. Senior Management actually discourages other executive management with interacting with regular employees.

Advice to Management

You care more about what is going into your personal pockets that you have lost sight of your employees which are the core of your success. Not once have they thanked us for helping make the company progress during some lean times. Interact with all of your employees, not just your engineers or your "yes" people.

"This is not a "Progressive" company, they only like to pretend that they are."

Pros

My team members and my work.

Cons

Senior Management and HR are self- serving. Stable, really? In the past year, several senior associate engineers, a majority of the partners have left/retired from the company, CFO's have not lasted past 2 years in the past 5 years, you do the math. Top Management is only interested in helping themselves. HR has recently managed to recruit inept individuals. New training programs for a select few, not all staff. A summer hours program that is laughable. Some departments are held accountable for making sure that staff follow the guidelines, others not so much. The new office space that is kept meticulously clean, while the inner workings of the company remain old and as predictable as they pretend not to be. They claim to be progressive but remain in the stone age.

Advice to Management

Have your human resources department comport themselves in a professional manner. If we ask questions about our benefits, or need assistance with acquiring information. Please don't give me a dirty look, attitude and tell me that I should already have had the information. Obviously I am asking you because I don't have it anymore. That is why we come to you for help. Oh and by the way, I am not the only employee that has felt the wrath of actually asking a question and being dismissed.

COO, CEO if you are really vested in making your company be progressive, you have to walk the walk. Saying that you are progressive does not make it a fact.