Green Citizen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
James Kao

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best company I've worked for in a long time"

I have been working at Green Citizen full-time

Pros

Really great company to work for, I've been happier here than I have at any job in a long time. I'm not sure how, but the whole team is always positive and motivated. It helps that my managers are actually nice and helpful. I would definitely recommend to apply here if you think you fit the criteria.

Cons

We're growing rapidly so things change often and sometimes we are expected to work outside of our job scope.

2. "Lots of fun"

I have been working at Green Citizen full-time

Pros

Great place to work, everyody's got a great attitude about our mission and what we're accomplishing. Love the team and am proud to call a lot of the people I work with my closest friends. Great place to work for anyone who wants more out of their day job than just a paycheck.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind here.

"Inspiring work"

I have been working at Green Citizen full-time

Pros

It's great working for someone that's actually doing good in the world. I really think that helps everyone have a better attitude about the work we do on a daily basis. We have people who work in tons of different fields, so if you want a job that where you know you're actually making an impact, I'd definitely recommend checking out Green Citizen.

Cons

Nothing deal-breaking. Problems happen just like any other job but we do a good job of handling them.

4. "Greta Place to Work"

Pros

Colleagues were young, and driven individuals

Cons

Worked weekends once in a while

5. "Rewarding Green Job"

I have been working at Green Citizen full-time

Pros

Able to save a lot of electronics from being destroyed. Fast-paced, and always something new to learn. If you show aptitude and interest in specific areas, management will frequently train. Co-workers are great.

Cons

Can be stressful at times. Parking is limited.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing and nurturing your teams, and ways to grow and stabilize income streams. Diversify sales channels, and build the company's brand and image.

6. "WareHouse Employee"

I have been working at Green Citizen full-time

Pros

Money, Ofcourse. Stable Money. Free Electronics, Making Out with CoWorkers

Cons

Racist Management, Ugly People, BUTT Kissing Management.

Advice to Management

QUIT, Dont WORK HERE, I work at the warehouse and they treat others who are not in management or operations like slaves, numerous people come and go but the good part is that when people bring in their eletronics we get to throw them around left and right and sometimes keep TVS, stereos, COMPUTERS for FREE! including laptops and IPADS or we RESELL ON EBAY

7. "Rough to start. better later on"

Former Employee - Technician in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Green Citizen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly people. Lots of teaching to learn new things. Intresting tech. Very good diversity.

Cons

NO direct deposit to bank. Only paper check. Workplace is cold at winter. Hot in summer. Work in big warehouse. BUt they move now to another place. Maybe better.

Advice to Management

Keep imporving benefits. Dental and more.

"Worked at the Burlingame area"

Former Employee - Ewaste Recycler in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Ewaste Recycler in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Green Citizen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Knowing how e-waste was being recycled

Cons

This place operates like a business which is fine but the marketing message makes the company appear like it's some non-profit that is doing some good will to this world when it's not. What I'm about to do is expose Green Citiizen for what they really are: Ebay Seller of stuff that companies don't want when the company assumes that Green Citizen is recycling them. You can search online for : Greencitizen Ebay and you'll see for yourself. They also charge companies to do pickups too to resell them on Ebay.

I just noticed that they closed off their 3 other locations with the Burlingame location which is their processing center left open. Good riddance. The CEO is really strange, in one moment he might talk to you like he's like some religious messiah spreading the good word (which of course when you find out later on it's all a sham which their zombie employees don't mind because of the paycheck) In another moment he can come off as a angry dictatorial person. He even makes his own wife and children help the business like free slaves too. He's probably not going to ready this but this review is just serving as a forewarning to those that happen.

If you ever wanted to know how fake a job can be, always pay attention to the excessively optimistic marketing message you read from job ads or a list that exceed 10 duties a position has. Because you'll be working for one of those kind of bosses.

Advice to Management

Mr. Kao you should've stayed working in the technology side without having to start your own pipe dream of a business. 10 years later now it's going down.

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Green Citizen (More than a year)

Pros

Trying to solve a really hard electronics recycling problem.

Cons

Many challenges with commodity prices. Company trying to create more services to move away from dependency on commodity prices.

Advice to Management

Find some Good Partners to address this progem.

"Steer Clear"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Green Citizen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, nice co-workers, good overall concept.

Cons

Low pay, treatment of employees, unsafe work environment, poor company culture, expectation to work long hours but not being paid for them.

The only time anyone was offered more money was when they threatened to leave. Additionally, if you worked more than 40 hours (which many were expected to) they were refused overtime pay. The company got away with this for almost 10 years, now many employees are salaried to continue to overwork and underpay their employees. Every employee starts out as an independent contractor (which as someone else reviewed, is illegal).

OSHA, The EPA, Fire Department and any other health / safety organizations would have a field day with the facility. The fire alarms weren't tested until the company tried for e-Stewards certification after two years in the building. And the inside alarms didn't sound. Almost all fire extinguishers are blocked as are almost all safety walking lanes. The individuals tasked with safety over the years were given no real teeth reinforce safety protocol. Also there are tens of thousands of pounds of batteries illegally stored and possibly hidden in the facility.

'Divide and Conquer' is not an effective philosophy to be used on the employee base. Teamwork is discouraged, instead all employees are expected to meet quota (many unrealistic) and quantity over quality is also discouraged. Inventory and e-stores are overstocked with low selling items for the single reason of bragging how many items are in them. Taking time to build and sell higher quality product for better revenue is discouraged since it could mean employees may not meet their quota. Lastly on this subject, proper training and (until VERY recently) quality control on titling, listing items, picture taking was rampant. It became about warm bodies to drone on with the work, rather than properly training employees to monitor their listing. This does not mean employees are not competent, it simply means they were not trained well.

Having no Human Resources department, the employees suffer from sexual harassment, a lack of buffer between management and employees and mishandling of employee injury claims. An HR consultant was recently brought in for the sole purpose of making sure everyone's files were up to date with confidentiality documents as well as a document that essentially said the company was not liable for employee injury if hurt on the job.

Advice to Management

'Divide and Conquer' perhaps is not a proper motivational philosophy for employees in a small business. This does not encourage teamwork and or a want for betterment of the company overall.

Replace the CEO James Kao. He is prone to bending over a dollar to save a dime, emotional outbursts, shady dealings with employees, yelling at employees and stabbing his management in the back. He would be a great PR person, but his upper management skills are poor.

Hire an actual Human Resources department.

Green Citizen Response

Feb 5, 2016 – CEO

We have hired a HR consultant with over 2 dozen years of experience to review and upgrade all practices. It is a startup in saving the environment. Like all startups, everyone is wearing many hats... More