Green Door Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Great People"

Current Employee - Employment Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Employment Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Green Door (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the people I work with. Relaxed environment. Competitive Pay.

Cons

CEO has trouble managing. Productivity demands are unreasonable.

2. "CSW"

Former Employee - Community Support Worker in Washington, DC

I worked at Green Door full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding work, and a great team atmosphere. Offered valuable training. They also provide clinical supervision for those becoming licensed.

Cons

At times I felt like it was more of a push for Medicaid billing hours and not so much about the quality of service. The caseload was around 30 people, and the pay was low.

Advice to Management

Offer a better salary for community support workers and limit the caseload to help prevent burnout out.

3. "Great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Green Door (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about the dynamics of mental health day treatment programs.

Cons

It was difficult not getting the support from the leadership.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to new staff.

"$28000 poor pay, bad managers, and dangerous work in SE DC but hey you get an IPAD to do notes in the field"

Current Employee - Community Support Worker in Washington, DC

I have been working at Green Door full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. There is so much turnover, so it's easy to get a job. They always need new people. I've seen people quit after a week. People leave every single week. Clients are great to work with. Job responsibilities look good on resume if you're applying to grad school. You get an IPAD to do notes.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the word "bonus". You're given $4000 a year in what should already be part of your salary. When you're hired, there is no way you can make a bonus your first quarter, so it's really $3000 for your first year. The reason being is clients will not show up because they don't know you so you'll be very short on hours. The work is very dangerous. You'll be going in really dangerous parts of the city. One of my coworkers got assaulted by her own client while in the field. There are always people leaving so you'll have to do a lot of coverage but since those clients don't trust you, you end up with tons of no shows. There is a big emphasis on making hours over quality of services. You only get credit for time with your client, so you don't get credit for phone calls, time in car getting to their part of the city, no shows, or doing tons of paperwork. Clinical managers will ignore fraud by people because they're desperate to report high hours to their own managers. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a single person to make 5 hours over and even 3 over is a stretch, but managers won't say anything. They'll actually applaud it. There is not enough curriculum to do with anyone for 90 minutes. Our staff trainings and meetings don't even last for 90 minutes. A lot of the clinical managers are first time managers and on the fake it till you make it plan for leading staff. Two clinical managers don't even have licenses. It shows how lax management is and how low their standards are. There is a fairly new CEO who doesn't know what he's doing. He's a first time CEO and has never run a company before. A lot of people are leaving because of him and the changes he's made and the bad culture he's created. The work is already stressful, there is low pay, and now there is just a chaotic environment. People leave every single week. The facilities are really gross too. Staff and client bathrooms have feces and pee on the floors and seats.

Advice to Management

Focus on quality of service. Pay people a straight salary, without the bonus.

"Community Support Worker"

Current Employee - Community Support Worker in Washington, DC

I have been working at Green Door full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience. Helped to make me more more marketable in the mental health field.

Cons

Requires a great deal of organization and time mangement. It also put a lot of milage on my car.

Advice to Management

Management needs to address some of the concerns involving the toll that transporting clients can take on the case worker's personal vehicle.

7. "A very good company"

Former Employee - Administrator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrator in Washington, DC

I worked at Green Door full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people, good supervisors, meaningful work

Cons

Not as high salaries as I's like

"Lack of support in a difficult field, poor pay."

Former Employee - Community Support Worker in Washington, DC

I worked at Green Door full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This "Non-Profit" offers some initial training and support and has a great introductory training. Andrew has been the main trainer for years and is really effective and supportive as well as professional.

Cons

The cons go on and on. This company does not support it's employees and more importantly, this atmosphere is DANGEROUS to it's community service workers. This company banks on hiring BA/BS level young men and women and paying them next to nothing to do one of the hardest jobs that exists in the mental health field. If this company actually looked at how much money they lose every time they hire and then lose a CSW within a year, they would realize that investing in their employees would save them thousands. Not only do they expect you to use your car to transport clients (they would never admit that, but rather they would say that you should be signing out the company car that is never available as there is one car for each team of 10 people) but you also have to use your cellphone to call them and only get a small re-reimbursement each month.

Unfortunately, there is a huge divide from the upper mgmt who stay in the clinic all day and get paid a very competitive wage and the lowly CSW's who travel all day to all 4 parts of DC but can not bill for transport. The CSW's go into terrible neighborhoods alone, mostly being young women who are not familiar with all of DC.

This company is a billing machine for medicaid and if you do not bill the extravagant amount of face to face time daily, you get reprimanded. You are not rewarded for the long hours of case mgmt you do over the phone with community liaisons, client's families or doctors offices.

I was appalled at how I was treated while being employed there. I was treated great in the first 3 months during my probation period, but as soon as I did not make the amount of billing they wanted me to I began being treated differently by my supervisor who had little to no idea what it was really like to be a CSW. I was in apartment's with psychotic people with minimal support, bed bugs, had to park my car in terrible places, walk through bad neighborhoods alone and expected to write medicaid notes in my free time after a long hellish day.

My advice to upper management and team leaders- Support your people. Pay them more. If you see them struggling clinically, ( WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM SOMEONE WITHOUT A MASTERS DEGREE and minimal clinical training?) guide them and recognize and it is SO MUCH MORE than billing. These young men and women and putting themselves out there in a job you wouldn't do on even the easiest day.

Advice to Management

Starting salaries for CSW's higher, increase mgmt support of it's workers, have multiple clinical trainings and multiple resources for staff to utilize for self care.

9. "Very stressful, Tons of paperwork and deadlines"

I worked at Green Door full-time

Pros

You are able to make very good bonuses.

Cons

supervisors will micro manage employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees compliants

10. "Sad to see it go"

I worked at Green Door full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, great experience in community mental health

Cons

productivity expectations, financial difficulties, sometimes put in precarious situations

Advice to Management

Sad to see you go

11. "CEO is not a leader."

I worked at Green Door full-time

Pros

Important mission. Clients need help.

Cons

The worst CEO ever. He ran the organization in to the ground. He is morally bankrupt aND now the organization is bankrupt and folded. No leadership no management no backbone. No vision.

Advice to Management

Back your employees up. Show some leadership. Have a vision. Treat people with respect.