Green Dot Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Steve Streit

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Management reporting from sales to C level very challenging (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible executive leadership who have no idea what it takes to successfully run a company (in 7 reviews)

"Good Group!"

I worked at Green Dot full-time

Pros

Lots of smart, dedicated people

Cons

Alot of turnover makes it tough.

Advice to Management

Focus on the core business.

Aug 9, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Turnover can be challenging, especially to those who remain. Our ongoing recruitment efforts are focused on finding talented employees to join our workforce thus... More

2. "Challenging-not for the faint at heart"

I have been working at Green Dot full-time

Pros

Quick moving, great people and decent pay

Cons

Favoritism and office politics get in the way of progress

Advice to Management

Focus on getting the job done-less on politics

Aug 9, 2017 – Human Resources

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and encourage you to contact Human Resources and/or utilize the employee hotline to provide further details about your experience.

"Challenging Work Environment"

Current Employee - Administration in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to market salary. Good benefits.

Cons

Projects suffer from poor prioritization. Unpredictable environment.

Advice to Management

Add more IT support for products.

Aug 9, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at Green Dot. We have a number of open positions for IT staff to support our growing and complex product lines.

4. "Fast Paced"

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Green Dot has a lot of really strong people working there. Most folks seem to really want to do a great job. You can get funding for projects if you can show a good ROI. Although different departments have (very) different cultures, my experience has been that management encourages people to step up into challenges.

Cons

A startling amount of bureaucracy for a company this size. Poor communications between departments. More frequent restructuring than you would expect.

Advice to Management

Engage your frontline personnel in problem solving. Communicate more pro-actively. Reduce the frequency of organizational change, it is unsettling.

Jun 8, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience and feedback! At Green Dot, we believe our employees are the heartbeat of the organization. Thus, we are continuously making strides to further... More

"A Toxic Culture"

I worked at Green Dot (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, granola, and fruit?? Yes, the only pros are free food.

Cons

Toxic Culture
    Stagnant Compensation
    Upper Management

Advice to Management

During my first years at Green Dot, I worked for a company that seemed to legitimately care about its employees, both by organizing team-building events and holiday get-togethers, as well as encouraging employee growth by hiring and promoting from within. The overall culture and environment was one that really made me stay, even once stagnant compensation became a real anchor on my motivation. My remaining years were marked by wasteful hiring, near constant waves of layoffs despite assurances from the CEO at our quarterly meetings that they wouldn't happen, or that the last one was THE last one.

Add to this a merit system seemingly designed simply to put employees down and make them feel undeserving so as not to expect much come merit time, and a CEO that simultaneously promotes his stable of yes men and women (and sends emails to let everyone know) and then throws a tantrum whenever salary expenses are higher than expected.

All of this to say that the culture and environment here at Green Dot is toxic. If you are here, you are trying to get out or are terrified of one day being let go without cause. And if you are out, trying to get in...well, I don't know what to tell you. May the odds be ever in your favor?

My advice to management would be to look hard at what made Green Dot a great place to work for, and strive towards that. I don't think the company can succeed if the majority of employees feel under appreciated. That's something an annual "employee appreciation breakfast" won't solve.

Jun 8, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking your time to review your experience with Green Dot. As with any company, we are constantly striving to attain the proper staffing levels while controlling costs. We understand... More

6. "Good experience"

I worked at Green Dot full-time

Pros

Great talent. Hard working crowd

Cons

Too much process. Too many layers. Reduce them to identify the true contributors.

May 24, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for sharing your experiences at Green Dot. Your feedback provides us with valuable insight on areas that will make us an even better company as we grow and expand.

"Mixed Bag - Executive Leadership is a problem"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Ability to gain tremendous amounts of experience across a wide range of products and services.
    - Unique/innovative products that service a very important customer demographic that other banks ignore.
    - Many great people that are bright, funny, and hardworking.
    - RSU benefits can be very lucrative at Sr. Manager levels and up (but you have to stick around to get them).
    - Flexible and casual work environment.
    - Very "open door" approach to projects and management interactions. All levels, especially in Pasadena, have the ability to be involved and aware.

Cons

- Read the Harvest Materials from the proxy battle in 2016. Both the good comments and the bad, the research is spot on.
    - Executive leadership is very difficult to work with/for. Reactionary, inconsistent, and micro on the wrong things. Struggles to both understand the subject matter and retain the direction/strategy that was agreed to in prior meetings. It is next to impossible for some to admit error or acknowledge responsibility for failed executions. Weak understanding of cause/effect realities.
    - Difficult for outsiders to succeed, especially at VP and above. Low retention of senior hires. Legacy VPs have rarely held similar senior positions at other companies and thus there is not a good leadership bench strength and culture.
    - Weak delegation and Sr. Leadership inexperience leads to a lot of micromanagement. Your title is often 2+ ranks above your actual authority. While one may be responsible for a wide range of items/people on a day to day basis, you lack the authority to actually make changes or decisions.
    - 401K matching contributions are low.

Advice to Management

Tone at the top sets the stage for everything else . . . as long as that remains consistent so will the cultural issues and history of uneven execution.

May 24, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

We value insight from past employees as it helps us identify areas that can be enhanced in addition to what we are doing. Over the years, we have gained top talent from various professional... More

"Buyer Beware"

Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary until they outsource your job, great equity incentive, lots of opportunity to make an impact, free coffee/fruit, flexible schedule, some really well-intended people

Cons

Read the Harvest Capital letter. Executive leadership has no strategic plan aside from meeting short-term earnings forecasts; rejects countervailing, analytically-derived, strategically-focused recommendations; creates an atmosphere of politically divisive and siloed "stacks" that compete for resources; and views employees as factors of production. In addition to these failures that I have witnessed over 4+ years, I also came to the realization that GDOT does not truly stand behind its mission statement. The organization wants to be the bank for the masses, but it's also satisfied with treating its customers like cattle and placing them in circular automated phone systems with the hopes they will disconnect and avoid contact with an agent. There's little long-term hope for this organization until its cultural values change from the top-down, which will not happen with this leadership team.

May 24, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for providing insight about your experience at Green Dot. The experience our employees have while working at Green Dot is very important. As a current employee, we invite you to express... More

"Do you love playing politics?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will most likely hire you. Yes, even you. Company appears to be able to make money no matter what it does or doesn't do.

Cons

As the title implies, this is a heavily political organization. If you want to succeed, you will need to know the right people and keep them happy. This is much more important than your work.

Advice to Management

Incentivize innovation over relationships. CEO needs to leave his baby to make it grow. Spend real time with customers (CEO is not a true customer).

"Be prepared to Run around alot for no reason."

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The workforce and atmosphere is very positive and friendly. They have alot of small perks. Free coffee and fruit. Lots of break rooms with fridges. Water coolers nearby. Good chairs and desks. Open spaces with happier tone colors.
    Pay is better than other places in the industry.
    Benefits and holidays are very generous.
    Good Health and Dental plan

Cons

Leadership has zero direction and barely any awareness of whats happening on the floor, or whats happening to customers. Its mostly because they are overworked and under qualified and poorly staffed.
     Everyday is a new initiative and we have new projects to complete while old ones aren't done.
    If your willing to put yourself out there and do alot of work, prepare to be abused and used with a very with slim to nill possibilities of upward movement.

Advice to Management

Get....better...leaders.

Stop putting people who are friends with Steve in charge of major departments. They know how to make Steve happy, they don't know much about running a dept.
    People were running around doing so many projects they never noticed what was actually going on during the floor.
    At some point, I just stopped working. I didn't care.
    I was looking for other jobs and did the absolute bare minimum around the office.
    No one noticed. NO ONE. Alot of days, I Left hours early.
    Clocked out from my phone from home, answered important emails if needed from my laptop. Went on for months, even when I started another afternoon job, again....never noticed.

I got hired on as a supervisor for a 2nd job and would regularly just leave green dot to work at the other place.

Here's the thing, I am not proud of this, but for the last 6 or so months they had pissed me off so bad that I just started watching TV and playing video games in the on site gym for hours a day.

Never...ever....noticed. No one....again. I figured I would get in trouble and just quit to keep working at my other full time job. Nope. And hey, if they were paying me to play video games....why turn it down.
     Went on for months until (Get this) another agent complained that I was taking up too much time and THEY couldn't play video games. That's when I was finally discovered. It was kind of ridiculous.

I could have just quit, I should have. That would have been the adult thing to do. But regardless. Leadership is so clueless it took them 6months to realize and even then it was only because another video game loving employee gave them the heads up.