Green Dot Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Steve Streit

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Management reporting from sales to C level very challenging (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible executive leadership who have no idea what it takes to successfully run a company (in 7 reviews)

"QA Engineer II"

Current Employee - QA Engineer II in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer II in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time

Pros

Very few managers are good at making employees responsible to the job they are performing. Good benefits, ESPP, 401K match, Health Benefits

Cons

Management is of old style within QA Department, not much encouragement, no information shared with team, more like lick your boss attitude. Career growth is way too slow

Advice to Management

come out of short term goals

"Challenging Work Environment"

Current Employee - Administration in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close to market salary. Good benefits.

Cons

Projects suffer from poor prioritization. Unpredictable environment.

Advice to Management

Add more IT support for products.

"Mixed Bag - Executive Leadership is a problem"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Ability to gain tremendous amounts of experience across a wide range of products and services.
    - Unique/innovative products that service a very important customer demographic that other banks ignore.
    - Many great people that are bright, funny, and hardworking.
    - RSU benefits can be very lucrative at Sr. Manager levels and up (but you have to stick around to get them).
    - Flexible and casual work environment.
    - Very "open door" approach to projects and management interactions. All levels, especially in Pasadena, have the ability to be involved and aware.

Cons

- Read the Harvest Materials from the proxy battle in 2016. Both the good comments and the bad, the research is spot on.
    - Executive leadership is very difficult to work with/for. Reactionary, inconsistent, and micro on the wrong things. Struggles to both understand the subject matter and retain the direction/strategy that was agreed to in prior meetings. It is next to impossible for some to admit error or acknowledge responsibility for failed executions. Weak understanding of cause/effect realities.
    - Difficult for outsiders to succeed, especially at VP and above. Low retention of senior hires. Legacy VPs have rarely held similar senior positions at other companies and thus there is not a good leadership bench strength and culture.
    - Weak delegation and Sr. Leadership inexperience leads to a lot of micromanagement. Your title is often 2+ ranks above your actual authority. While one may be responsible for a wide range of items/people on a day to day basis, you lack the authority to actually make changes or decisions.
    - 401K matching contributions are low.

Advice to Management

Tone at the top sets the stage for everything else . . . as long as that remains consistent so will the cultural issues and history of uneven execution.

Green Dot Response

May 24, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

We value insight from past employees as it helps us identify areas that can be enhanced in addition to what we are doing. Over the years, we have gained top talent from various professional... More

"Buyer Beware"

Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary until they outsource your job, great equity incentive, lots of opportunity to make an impact, free coffee/fruit, flexible schedule, some really well-intended people

Cons

Read the Harvest Capital letter. Executive leadership has no strategic plan aside from meeting short-term earnings forecasts; rejects countervailing, analytically-derived, strategically-focused recommendations; creates an atmosphere of politically divisive and siloed "stacks" that compete for resources; and views employees as factors of production. In addition to these failures that I have witnessed over 4+ years, I also came to the realization that GDOT does not truly stand behind its mission statement. The organization wants to be the bank for the masses, but it's also satisfied with treating its customers like cattle and placing them in circular automated phone systems with the hopes they will disconnect and avoid contact with an agent. There's little long-term hope for this organization until its cultural values change from the top-down, which will not happen with this leadership team.

Green Dot Response

May 24, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for providing insight about your experience at Green Dot. The experience our employees have while working at Green Dot is very important. As a current employee, we invite you to express... More

"Do you love playing politics?"

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will most likely hire you. Yes, even you. Company appears to be able to make money no matter what it does or doesn't do.

Cons

As the title implies, this is a heavily political organization. If you want to succeed, you will need to know the right people and keep them happy. This is much more important than your work.

Advice to Management

Incentivize innovation over relationships. CEO needs to leave his baby to make it grow. Spend real time with customers (CEO is not a true customer).

"Be prepared to Run around alot for no reason."

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The workforce and atmosphere is very positive and friendly. They have alot of small perks. Free coffee and fruit. Lots of break rooms with fridges. Water coolers nearby. Good chairs and desks. Open spaces with happier tone colors.
    Pay is better than other places in the industry.
    Benefits and holidays are very generous.
    Good Health and Dental plan

Cons

Leadership has zero direction and barely any awareness of whats happening on the floor, or whats happening to customers. Its mostly because they are overworked and under qualified and poorly staffed.
     Everyday is a new initiative and we have new projects to complete while old ones aren't done.
    If your willing to put yourself out there and do alot of work, prepare to be abused and used with a very with slim to nill possibilities of upward movement.

Advice to Management

Get....better...leaders.

Stop putting people who are friends with Steve in charge of major departments. They know how to make Steve happy, they don't know much about running a dept.
    People were running around doing so many projects they never noticed what was actually going on during the floor.
    At some point, I just stopped working. I didn't care.
    I was looking for other jobs and did the absolute bare minimum around the office.
    No one noticed. NO ONE. Alot of days, I Left hours early.
    Clocked out from my phone from home, answered important emails if needed from my laptop. Went on for months, even when I started another afternoon job, again....never noticed.

I got hired on as a supervisor for a 2nd job and would regularly just leave green dot to work at the other place.

Here's the thing, I am not proud of this, but for the last 6 or so months they had pissed me off so bad that I just started watching TV and playing video games in the on site gym for hours a day.

Never...ever....noticed. No one....again. I figured I would get in trouble and just quit to keep working at my other full time job. Nope. And hey, if they were paying me to play video games....why turn it down.
     Went on for months until (Get this) another agent complained that I was taking up too much time and THEY couldn't play video games. That's when I was finally discovered. It was kind of ridiculous.

I could have just quit, I should have. That would have been the adult thing to do. But regardless. Leadership is so clueless it took them 6months to realize and even then it was only because another video game loving employee gave them the heads up.

"QA Engineer"

Former Employee - QA Engineer I in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer I in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still in start-up mode. Benefits are okay, HD(Pasadena, CA) office structured in new look

Cons

Not that good place to work even for graduates & Level I/II engineers. No hikes, No growth, No encouragement. Severe criticism & Politics, Worst culture. Management & directors are the way too bad in their way, No proper direction in teams and no proper planning right from the scratch of the hiring process. Feel bossy all times. Won't involve team members in hiring process, Not open to share ideas. Directors/Managers are not that technically sounded, To learn/To work and grow quickly in teams, Not that a good place to grow. Same old trait process repeats whole year long. Sequence patterns of Lay-offs & Branch(Palo alto) closing

Advice to Management

Recommend other option/offer if you have anything in addition

"What a mess! a fool to work for & more so to invest in"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A job, if that is all you care about and some genuine people

Cons

Poor leadership, erratic actions & directions

Advice to Management

Do shareholders a favor, replace leadership if it means replacing yourself

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Telephony Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Telephony Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are very few ... The people are great at the lower levels. Solid skill sets with great personalities.

Cons

I don't know where to begin ... The culture is toxic. The leaders are inept. You will never execute on something new here. You will simply band-aid old infrastructure. You will not innovate, you will stagnate.

Advice to Management

Listen to Harvest and fire yourselves...

"Mass exodus = Everything happens for a reason."

Former Employee - Tech Ops in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Ops in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The "commoners" the people that you work with on a daily basis are good people, good workers, try their hardest and genuinely care.

Cons

ALL "C" level managers have a contemptuous neglect & disrespect for anyone and anything other than making the stock/RSU, bonus better - - NO MATTER WHAT, no matter the affect on humans "commoners" who work their. No wonder people from all levels within the organization left the company.

Advice to Management

1 Timothy 6:10