Green Dot Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Steve Streit

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Management reporting from sales to C level very challenging (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible executive leadership who have no idea what it takes to successfully run a company (in 7 reviews)

"Crazy sometimes, but it's exciting and keeps me engaged"

Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work on building banking products, so it always feels like my work is relevant to the everyman. Better than in entertainment or other fields, where you are pleasing people but not changing something they hold personally and vitally important.
    There's a strong effort to create fun at work, with ad hoc team-specific events and learning sessions, as well as lunch served downstairs 2 days per week.
    We have huge ambitions to accomplish big things. The management team really has a strong desire to shape the industry and create better products/experiences.

Cons

Because we're dealing with people's finances, there is a lot of pressure. If any mistakes are made, we could be harming somebody in a way that really hurts -- their wallet. Sometimes that can get stressful, but hopefully there's a good result from that stress.
    Would love free lunch every day :)... but there are a lot of lunch places around, and it's nice to have it in the office 2 days per week.

Advice to Management

free lunch! more career training, more all-hands meetings. They are so helpful each quarter. Would like to do more.

"Positive Corporate Culture"

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool coworkers, nice office space, fairly flexible schedule, and room for growth

Cons

A few bad eggs who are stubborn about change

Green Dot Response

Sep 17, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

The experience our employees have while working at Green Dot is important. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

"I loved it all"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Absolutely awesome managers, and even better coworkers. The kindest people I have ever worked with. The programs that HR puts together are great -- from the weekly lunches/monthly food trucks to the benefits, Green Dot has it covered.

Cons

None at all. Green Dot is a great, family-oriented, forward-thinking company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

4. "Corporate Resolutions Specialist"

Former Employee - Corporate Resolution Specialist & Recognition Event Coordinator in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Green Dot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Assisting customers while providing exceptional customer service.

Cons

Knowing that the customers feel that they have been wrong in any way.

"Lots to Do + Learn"

Current Employee - Marketing in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fast-paced
    - Company grows quarter over quarter
    - LOTS of smart people around you
    - You'll learn a lot
    - Job doesn't afford you to be lazy or "slide by"
    - Lots of energy
    - A LOT of new projects, and established projects to work on
    - Pays well + benefits, discounts, etc

Cons

Not really a con, but - company doesn't function like most corporations on a department level, so you need to find your way mostly on your own; it's definitely character building. But, it's a sign that the company is growing, so the opportunities are aplenty.

Green Dot Response

Sep 13, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the company. We appreciate your enthusiasm and dedication to Green Dot!

6. "Great place to work and learn. Lots of work and long hours though. However, you feel proud of your work."

Pros

great work environment and lots of opportunity to grow and work with cutting edge technology

Cons

Long working hours and ability to adjust your personal life over work demands is a must for this place.

Advice to Management

Need more balance in work / personal life.

"Fantastic company to work for but has gone through a lot of change over the past few years"

I have been working at Green Dot full-time

Pros

Extremely smart and motivated employees in every department
    Depth of experience of employees in everything from retail to supply chain to technology to finance and consumer needs

Cons

Has gone through much change over the past few years and those who have been with the firm a long time have not enjoyed the change to becoming a public company with more regulations and restrictions
    Turnover from that period has resulted in those let go being very dissatisfied

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more and address the culture change proactively

"Positive Changes at Green Dot"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There have been a lot of changes at Green Dot since I joined. The technology leadership understands tough decisions that have to be made and are making them. If you work hard, you will be recognized and rewarded. If you're a slacker, your days are numbered. Culture is also evolving for the better. Company pays well and offices are nice.

Cons

Growing pains. A lot of change is happening causing some uncertainty. You're going to have to work hard -- this is not a place you can coast and you will be challenged. However, if you're an A-player, you're going to stand out.

Advice to Management

Many of the changes you're making now are going to pay dividends down the road. It's growing pains and quite painful but weeding out the dead weight and putting good folks in leadership positions will be the key to your future success.

"So far, very promising"

Current Employee - Vice President in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is embracing change. I have been through several similar transitions from a start-up culture to an enterprise culture, and I would say this one is better than average. There are a lot of people who want to hold on to the neat start-up mentality - it's fun. But you can't really be a big company and play around. The company is going agile, which means always focusing on the tasks that produce the most gain. Sometimes it means using a boring platform or tool because the "new, fun and exciting" tool won't support the shear increase in traffic and sales, but it means really knowing your tools and your job and every day feeling good about making a product that really helps people.

Cons

There are a lot of original Green Dotters still here that are concerned with the pace of change. Some of them tend to be very negative. There are also a few people who had it easy, but now have to work to keep up. There is a lot of tension as they realize the definition of a good job is changing, and they have to decide if they want to step up and change with the company. Our systems aren't really built to handle our growth, so we play catch up a lot.

Advice to Management

Nothing I haven't already heard you say. Slow down a little, remember that growing bigger so fast is hard when you are invested in a much smaller vision and mission, and not all your people are having an easy time thinking bigger.

"So far, so good!"

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits -- good pricing of health benefits. New executive management team has potential. Good atmosphere to work in -- building is nice and space is pleasing to work in.

Cons

Bring back the 401k match! Better communication -- celebrate successes. Employees should be finding out from company not reading about it in a press release.

Advice to Management

Realize that change isn't easy but it's inevitable.