Green Dot Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Management reporting from sales to C level very challenging (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible executive leadership who have no idea what it takes to successfully run a company (in 7 reviews)

"Former IT Manager that co-led the Go-Bank Product launch."

Former Employee - Senior Manager IT in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager IT in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above market salary, hard working co-workers (old timers), potentially good products i.e. Go Bank

Cons

The company culture is terrible. I've been in the IT industry for over 20+ years working for fortune 50 companies to start ups. This was one of the worst working environments I've ever encountered. I've never seen such high turnover in my career. If you are considering this company, do yourself a favor and AVOID at all cost. Ignore all the good positive reviews, everyone knows it's either HR or the CEOs cronies that are posting all the b.s.

Advice to Management

Steve you are a nice guy, but you're a horrible CEO. You're created a terrible working environment. You don't keep your direct reports accountable. Promoting Kuan Archer to COO was a big mistake. There are many former employees that are currently suing the company for harassment and abuse from his good old boys that he brought over from Rovi. To the board of directors: Do your job and clean house at the top!

Oct 23, 2015 – Employee Liaison

Thank you for providing your feedback and sharing your experience while at Green Dot.

"Positive Corporate Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool coworkers, nice office space, fairly flexible schedule, and room for growth

Cons

A few bad eggs who are stubborn about change

Sep 17, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

The experience our employees have while working at Green Dot is important. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Training & Content Specialist in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Training & Content Specialist in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work, team oriented and good management.

Cons

Communication between departments was a little tough.

Advice to Management

N/A

Aug 31, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and insight. Your review informs us of what we are doing well and how we can become an even better company. We are excited that you are enjoying your time at Green Dot.

"Greendot is a very racist company with no morals. The people there are extremely fake and back stabbers!"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quick come up as far as salary if you manage your money wisely. This company is a very good stepping stone...just a good at on to your resume. As long as you manage your money wisely for the little time you are there...looking for another job will be stress free!

Cons

Racist jokes, unqualified management, lack of communication, no room for promotion unless you do certain favors for certain managers! Wink...wink. Dominated by men with little or no experience in their department/position just there because of the color of their skin and or nationality. HR is a joke and they hire certain people to meet a quota. Very hostile environment. Employees and management are more concern with how they can get someone fired instead of the business and working as a team. No career growth and very high turnover.

Advice to Management

Learn your job before you try managing a team. Work with your team instead of against your team. Protect your team members from being harassed by other team members instead of joining in! Seek training for your team instead of finding a reason to get rid of them. Concentrate on your job responsibilities instead of generating and closing tickets competing with the team that you are supposed to be managing. Give performance reviews instead of your personal life stories when conducting one on one's with your team members.

Sep 17, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

The well-being of each employee is critical. Please know we have reviewed your feedback and take these types of allegations seriously. We have a zero tolerance policy for discrimination and/or any... More

"Project manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of change for better; great vibes

Cons

Benefit is not up to today's standards; such is 401K . The industry standard is 100% match up to 6%.

Advice to Management

Communication, transparency, better benefits

Jul 23, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Our benefits are part of a complete total rewards package. We offer medical, dental and vision insurance, short and long-term disability, tuition reimbursement... More

"Technical Program Manager"

Current Employee - Technology in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Fun work environment
    *Low premium for medical benefits
    *product development

Cons

*middle and senior leadership exercise favoritism when it comes to promotions
    * executive leadership is incompetent.....none of the leaders are strategic
    *product and program management are treating as the same role in this company
    *many of the program managers are just 'task' masters
    *the CEO and COO are incompetent snobs

Advice to Management

clean out the Rovi leaders (program mgt.,product management, and technical operations

Jul 6, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

Thank you for providing insight about your experience at Green Dot. As a current employee we invite you to express your concerns to the Human Resources team or anonymously through the employee... More

"Great Vibe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Luv the people I work with! The culture has really come a long way -- having more fun at work! But still getting the job done! :)

Cons

Some employees still like the Green Dot from the past -- small company, manual process, know everyone cause it's only 200 employees. These employees need to embrace the new and improved Green Dot!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! It's really paying off! There's a better vibe in the hallways, employees are excited to be working at Green Dot.

Jun 30, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

Your enthusiasm is contagious! Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you are enjoying your time at Green Dot.

"decent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

cool products
    chance to work for the company that pioneered the industry
    accomplishments acknowledged
    lots of my friends work here (:
    firm values diversity. female General Managers and senior executives, female & african american board members, cto is (? hispanic with asian name? blackspanic? something) on and on

Cons

be careful of negative reviews from people who were FIRED for being TERRIBLE. Do not fall for it. Green Dot may call them 'lay offs' for legal reasons. But we breathe sighs of relief when these people are gone and more qualified replacements arrive!!!! I am not on the technology side but we heard the horror stories of how it was. I was one of the people suffering blowback from customers 3 years ago when the products kept failing and IT kept going down. Who WHO is longing for those days !!?!!!!! Our customers were so angry in those days WHY would you miss THAT?!!!?

Advice to Management

Keep at it.
    I find it hard to believe people here are missing the old days. Does not make sense. Our customers were so upset with us in those days. Who are these people did they really work here !??!

Jun 10, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences. Your feedback provides us with valuable insight on areas that will make us a better company as we grow and expand. We appreciate the time and... More

"Bad culture, Bad management, Bad Strategy, All around BAD"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Potential for cool products (risk averse management currently has neither the patience nor the ability to realize that potential).
    Undervalued, talented employees in Palo Alto. New management would do wonders for morale and productivity.
    Ability to progress on relationships only and not actually do any valuable work.
    Developers are free to use new technologies (provided you don't mind being constantly second guessed).
    Free snacks.
    Leaving the company was a very pleasant experience thanks to HR department.

Cons

Annual reviews, whether good or bad, do not matter to managers come review time. If your manager likes you, you'll get a good raise, period.
    Hard work is not recognized, had my manager tell me "all you do is get your work done" as if that was a bad thing.
    Butt-in-chair organization (BIC), working remotely as a developer is frowned upon.
    Product management is in disarray due to poor strategy and the constantly changing vision of C-level execs due to their ADD, fear of risk, inexperience, and willingness to say "Yes" constantly.

Advice to Management

Remember that company you bought in Palo Alto, you killed it when you bought it. And by killing it, I mean you literally killed that company and its progressive, team/product building culture.
    Steve Streit, you are an emperor with no clothes, your employees and Wall Street know it, time to move on.

Jul 6, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

We are sorry to hear of your experience, but thankful you have taken the time to share your thoughts.

"Good Company, Good Compensation, Horrible Leadership."

Former Employee - Software Professional in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Software Professional in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All lost in last few years.

Cons

Group of discarded people brought from a shutdown business to drive the technology team. Corrupt technology leadership lack definition of software architecture and justifying their paycheck by defaming the people who built the real technology foundation of this company.

Advice to Management

Identify the chain of slackers sitting in every team connected to the top. How to identify? Have them get interviewed by an external team of neutral highly technical consultants. It is about time for them to be shown the door. Clean the house and hire best people from Microsoft, Google, Amazon......

Jun 10, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

We value insight from past employees as it helps us identify areas that can be enhanced in addition to what we are doing well. Over the years, we have gained top talent from various professional... More