GreenPearl Reviews | Glassdoor

GreenPearl Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2019

Found 36 reviews

3.5
GreenPearl CEO Ryan Slack (no image)
Ryan Slack

"Conference Producer at GreenPearl"

Current Employee - Conference Producer

I have been working at GreenPearl full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great technology stack. Lots of meaningful training. Small group that seems to fit well together and seems to care about both the product and the experience. Doing the right thing, a keen focus on reputation and making moves with integrity seem to be a theme that separates this company from others I have produced for.

Cons

Sometimes it could be intimidating to train with a company leader when there is so much new material to learn but that could also be an opportunity.

GreenPearl2019-06-25

"Great Place for Working Parents"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at GreenPearl full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have kids and I appreciate being able to work from home. We also have flexible hours so if I have a doctor's appointment or school function, I'm able to do those things without having to get approval to be out of the office. We get to travel to major cities around the country. We recently went on a 2-day company retreat in Austin. I love checking out other cities so I love that this is a perk of the job.... We have direct access to management and the CEO so our ideas are not only heard but also implemented. We have monthly and quarterly contests with significant cash prizes which is a nice way to make additional money. Even though I work from home, I don't feel disconnected from the team. Our events are good and people find them valuable. There is nothing worse than selling a bad product so I'm happy that our product is good one.

Cons

The company is always trying to innovate which is great. The downside is that things change pretty frequently and you must keep up.

GreenPearl2019-06-18
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Smaller Company with growth potential"

I have been working at GreenPearl full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home, weekly meetings and time to develop your own work style.

Cons

With growth comes changes to processes often.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff suggestions and keep lines of communication open.

GreenPearl2019-06-18

"A dedicated team of professionals who are always striving to improve"

I have been working at GreenPearl full-time

Pros

- I have been with this company for several years and I have colleagues who have been here for more than 4+ years. The team is excellent and we have a great rapport with each other. We all get along with each other very well and we check our egos out the door. - Everyone is dedicated to their craft and we are always striving to do our work better and more efficiently. I am always learning and improving in my role.... - We have true flexibility in terms of working from home. Past reviews say that the company requires you to have several days of notice to work from home but that review was created a few years ago. While we did have an office in Manhattan and most people worked in the office, we made the switch to work in a remote environment where only a fraction of the team works in Manhattan while other employees are spread throughout the country including Texas, Florida, and California. - The employees have a voice to management. I've heard with some companies that if you want to enact a change, you will need to bring it up past 4 managers until it gets to the CEO. And even at that point, some CEO's push a "my way or the highway approach." In our company, if you have an idea, the CEO and the management team is willing to hear it out and we are just as quick to enact if it's plausible.

Cons

- Older reviews will say that processes are constantly changing. While this is true to a certain extent and it can be challenging sometimes, having this type of flexibility has saved the company and kept us open for new opportunities. For example: - We made significant changes to our event and sponsorship structure that really stabilized our revenue stream. - Instead of keeping our old office, we decided to... move our office into a coworking space and gave the opportunity for people to work from home. - New processes are implemented when it comes to Salesforce which is painful but in the next 3 months, it will streamline our process significantly and give us a stronger utilization of our data. - The team is fairly small and we have events all over the country. If you travel to another event, it can be difficult to catch back up with your other work. Taking PTO can be difficult sometimes because a lot of work is handed off to your colleagues. However, we are remedying that by expanding our team.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees and always look for opportunities to grow

GreenPearl2019-03-27

"I've gained a lot of experience here, moved up quickly and met a great group of people"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at GreenPearl full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-The team is small and a great group of people to work with. I have met many long term friends. -I always feel like I can be myself at work. I can be honest in meetings and express my true feelings. -I am constantly in contact with the CEO. There is no hierarchy where only certain members of team are permitted facetime him. -I've had multiple opportunities to influence the company's processes and procedures.... I always feel that my suggestions and ideas are valued and utilized. -Flexible work schedule and a work from anywhere mentality as well as competitive benefits.

Cons

-One of our best qualities can also be one of our most difficult. We are constantly open to changing our processes and initiatives but can be too flexible and too quick to change things without thinking it fully through.

GreenPearl2019-01-16
  7. "I enjoy working here- team is small but great to work with"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at GreenPearl full-time for more than a year

Pros

the team- they are smart friendly and dedicated the events- very high quality and great feedback from attendees flexibility- we can work from home or the office or anywhere really travel- I get to go to cities all over the country and take a few days off following events to visit, if I want paid time off- we get five to six weeks off per year learning- I've learned so much working here than any other job

Cons

frequent change- there is always something new: processes, products, initiatives tech heavy- we use a lot of software tools like Salesforce, spreadsheets etc small company- upward mobility is limited due to small size of the organization

Advice to Management

none

GreenPearl2019-01-03

"Save Yourself the Drama"

I worked at GreenPearl full-time

Pros

Unlimited sick days and PTO. Very flexible with schedule. Employees are nice and you'll have great managers until something goes wrong then you are on your own to advocate for yourself.

Cons

If you’re desperate for a job, just hold out a little longer. It’s really not worth it and here’s why: Unstable, business model/structure changes every 6 weeks. You'll forever have to change the way you work. No room to move up in the company. You’ll be in your position forever or until someone is laid off. Your skill sets won’t be valued. People will say they want you to be innovate and have ideas, but when you... push for something you’re passionate about or that you know is correct you’ll get shut down every time. Not a place for creatives. You have to do exactly how people want you to or perform the way they think is best. You’ll do way more than what you are getting paid to do. All hands on deck, doesn’t work when you can’t pay people and the company continues to downsize. Morale is ALWAYS low. No clear lines of chain of command. Some days the CEO will come directly to you and other times he goes through your manager. You’ll never know if it’s really open door access to him or not. People pick and choose when they want to have authority.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to put people out of misery and close the business or change it to a seasonal company that is only open during the event season. The business is holding on by a thread.

GreenPearl2018-07-16

"sales"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at GreenPearl full-time for more than a year

Pros

good money, travel, independence, salary

Cons

bad mgmt, going broke, no money, somethings always changing

GreenPearl2018-06-29

"Honest Review"

I worked at GreenPearl full-time

Pros

- The people who you work with are funny and nice. - The managers of each team seem to care about the people on their team - Free lunch on Wednesdays - No dress code -Flexible hours 9-5 - Retreats where you can voice your opinion and enact change

Cons

- The work from home or anywhere isn't what it seems. You have to give multiple days notice. - Ethics is out of the window - The CEO thinks that he is correct about everything and can be condescending. I don't think that it's intentional, he just lacks social skills. - High turnover -- They let go of someone when she was on Maternity leave and had been at the company for a while. - The CEO lets his love life get... in the way of the company - He dated a former employee who sued him - Then dated another employee and got her pregnant. -Holding on to events that no longer work

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and don't let your personal life get in the way of work.

GreenPearl2017-10-12

GreenPearl Response

October 24, 2017CEO

Thank you for the review. We take all feedback appreciatively and seriously as we strive to make GreenPearl a great place to work. Taking these items in turn: - The work from home or anywhere isn't what it seems. You have to give multiple days notice. We provide a very flexible office environment that allows team members to work from home (or anywhere) frequently. In doing this, we are making important changes to the technology and culture of the company, to put all team members on equal footing regardless of whether or not they are at the office. A number of our employees work from home full time, and others anywhere from 1 to 4 days per week. Working from home notice is generally required to encourage team members to take advantage of this flexibility consciously rather than reactively. - Ethics is out of the window It's difficult to address this complaint without specifics. GreenPearl has a highly ethical environment that encourages mindful thinking and good decision making. We turn down business opportunities when they appear to jeopardize our integrity and encourage our team to understand all sides of an issue and make the right choices. - The CEO thinks that he is correct about everything and can be condescending. I don't think that it's intentional, he just lacks social skills. Not sure I'm unbiased on this one, so I cannot comment. During the interview process, we introduce candidates to many team members and offer the opportunity to ask current team members anything. - High turnover -- They let go of someone when she was on Maternity leave and had been at the company for a while. Excluding recent hires from the past three months, the average team member has been at GreenPearl for over 3 years, and we have several team members have been here over 5 years, including one that has been with us since 2009. We've been told by candidates that they are impressed with our low turnover and company loyalty. In regards to the Maternity leave situation, we did let one individual go after she returned from leave but not during her Maternity leave. We supported her leave and are a very parent-friendly organization. Over one-third of the team are parents. - The CEO lets his love life get in the way of the company - He dated a former employee who sued him - Then dated another employee and got her pregnant. The "former employee" was never an employee, she was my girlfriend at the time. To support her career and to explore a new industry, we hired her as an external contractor to develop a new conference concept. Years later, she did sue GreenPearl for control of the project, as the conference series had become very successful. The suit was disruptive to work life at GreenPearl, and I am glad to have it behind us. My life partner works at GreenPearl, and we have a child together. Not sure how this has helped or hurt the team experience in any way. If anything, the office is more parent-friendly than ever. - Holding on to events that no longer work I agree this has been a problem. We have launched events that failed out of the gate and have held onto events once they have fallen from their former glory. Today, we have a more decisive portfolio strategic review that quickly catches these lower performing events and either prunes them from the tree or initiates a strategic review.

"A Place for Conference Professionals to Thrive"

Current Employee - Conference Producer

I have been working at GreenPearl full-time for more than a year

Pros

A results-oriented company that cares about its business and its people. People work hard but it's also fun! It's a start-up culture where smart, entrepreneurial talent can thrive without bounds of red tape and corporate politics. Conversely it doesn't have the same grueling working hours as most start-ups or conference companies. Great benefits, reasonable deadlines, work from anywhere, good compensation, time... off, sick policy.

Cons

Office space could be better.

Advice to Management

Management is accessible and open to new ideas. They empower teams to problem-solve and test new ways to achieve success. They care about your personal and professional development.

GreenPearl2017-07-24