GreenbergFarrow Reviews | Glassdoor

Essie Ghadrdan

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GreenbergFarrow full-time

Pros

Employee owned with good benefits, insurance and a base minimum salary raise yearly. Many Projects to work on and a great firm for me to start my career.

Cons

Each office specializes in specific clients which limits overall field exposure. There are several slow times with the existing clientel and the company's growth has accelerated exponentally in the past year.

Advice to Management

New clients in additional markets is a good idea ro curb slow rimes and provide more expierence to the firm.
    Consider internal organizational growth; there has been many new additions to every office and growth of existing employees seems to be overlooked, thus causin little to no work at times to the lower and lowest level of employees.

"Copy/Paste Engineering"

Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Designer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

You will become an expert at using CTRL C & CTRL V since you'll just copy and paste the same exact store prototype over and over and over. You will need to change the titleblock, which requires a little effort and thinking. If you're just looking for an easy paycheck and want to claim the title of engineer without actually needing to know how to engineer, then this is the perfect place for you.

Cons

Let's see. You will never work on any challenging projects, which means you'll never gain any valuable engineering experience, which equals soul crushing boredom within a month. The senior copy & paste engineering staff that has been there for about 10 years copying & pasting blow a gasket when a a sink has to move 2", and consider that a "major change" that needs to be coordinated with the entire planet Earth. You'll also need to send an email to everyone at the international space station just in case. It may get frowned upon if you didn't copy the Secretary of Defense and the Department of Education on the email as well. Just ask the office CYA Coordinator who only knows two words: copy email. Their view of growth is this, "We're about to get a new 40 sqft janitor's closet to remodel. We're about to hire 40 new interns that are freshmen to help out with it. The year looks good. Alright, good deal." When we have lunch and learn seminars from equipment manufacturers, they always ask, "Do you use this kind of equipment?". The answer is always no because there's no need for generators and centrifugal chillers when you copy and paste Starbucks 30 times a week. Don't waste your time, talent, and dinero you spend on engineering school here.

Advice to Management

There's no help

"Former Engineer"

I worked at GreenbergFarrow full-time

Pros

-There were several people that really knew what they were doing. If you take advantage of their expertise, you can learn a lot.
    -I had a good work-life balance during my time there

Cons

-Environment is toxic. Managers do not care about the development of their employees- the only things that matter are deadlines and budgets.
    -Salary is nowhere near competitive to local firms (this is admitted by managers themselves but they are still unwilling to raise wages up to a fair number)
    -Poor communication between offices. Atlanta does not know how to properly work as a team with the other branches.
    -Don't work here if you are interested in innovation or modern engineering design tools. GFA is stuck in the dark ages and has not progressed with the industry.

Advice to Management

Atlanta: Remember that we are all working for a common goal- don't hoard projects or look out for yourself
    Your employees are your best asset. Treat them well, or they will leave and be the better off for it. I agree with a previous reviewer: Employees burn out quickly and move on to higher paying jobs.

"Senior Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Edison, NJ

I worked at GreenbergFarrow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary was good to start and initially had an earned PTO policy which I liked as it rewarded extra hours spent on the job.

Cons

the resources and technology were aged, there was no team building or social activities, poor communication between offices

Advice to Management

Incentivize, Incentivize, incentivize. Bring back the PTO policy. Increase focus on team structure and personnel development.

6. "Internship"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GreenbergFarrow part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good HR, care about their emloyees

Cons

Don't have much cons actually.

7. "Good company to work for"

I worked at GreenbergFarrow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely fair with salaries and generous with bonuses, medical, dental and 401K. I worked for the company for 3 years and only left to have a child.

Cons

A few minor issues, but usually handled with care. There were not some of the over and above cons you would see at a large company.

"A/E Company Nightmare"

I worked at GreenbergFarrow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the individuals that I worked with were knowledgable, experienced, and great folks.

Cons

Managers have very little management skill, Human Resources was never on the side of the employee, people are overworked and under paid, and top management is grossly overpaid.

Advice to Management

Send managers to training, pay employees appropriately, focus on work-life balance.

"Great way to become great at what you do. Careful not to burn out."

I worked at GreenbergFarrow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace, plenty of opportunity to take on responsibility, flex hours, GREAT PEOPLE. You will be challenged constantly and grow quickly with this company. Projects are quick, and you will experience hundreds of builds in jurisdictions all over the country in a very short time. You will likely be senior staff in a few years due to high turnover.

Cons

Can be a sweat shop. Salary is far below industry average, and getting a raise or bonus is near impossible. Turnover is very very high, and they have trouble attracting fresh talent. Projects tend to be low quality big box, retail, quick service restaurants. After a while doing the same building a hundred times gets boring. Margins are slim. Clients are not concerned with innovating, they want cheap and fast.

Advice to Management

Pay needs to be competitive considering the long hours and intense workloads. Employees burn out quickly and move on to higher paying jobs.

"Great Experience for a Designer"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Architectural Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at GreenbergFarrow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Prior NY leadership wasn't getting it done. New leadership is doing a much better job running the jobs, getting more interesting work, and communicating with us about what is going on with the office. Office atmosphere has completely turned around. It is much more friendly, much more positive. Senior staff actually takes time to give feedback and are very involved with the projects. The projects of a higher quality than a few years ago, especially with the international work. There is more opportunity for us to work on design.

Cons

Hours can be tough sometimes. I would like to see more interaction with other offices and with corporate.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing to improve the NY office. It is working.

11. "It was a good place to work."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at GreenbergFarrow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility with hours and work from home. Great tools, brand image, consistency. John Nourzad was an inspiring leader in Civil Dept. Branch office executive management was usually missing (i.e. working from home for weeks on end).

Cons

several transitional periods, and the company was reinventing itself a few times. After recession and 2008, they really didn't give raises or bonuses anymore... but that is par for the course when companies are trying to stay afloat. Branch office executive management was usually missing (i.e. working from home for weeks on end).

Advice to Management

none