Greenhouse Software Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Greenhouse Software CEO Daniel Chait
Daniel Chait

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Everyone here supports work/life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "Some of the reasons I love working at Greenhouse include:" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are some growing pains here and there but nothing concerning or unexpected" (in 9 reviews)

• "It leads to a ton of questions that'll slow everything down and frustrate people when everyone is striving for hyper growth" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work - learning more about high end software and technology than I ever thought that I would. Flexing new mental muscles I didn't know I had.

Creative thinking - the job itself is not an easy one, and each customer situation is so different. This prompts me to exercise my brain and collaboration skills.

Growth - I am sharpening a set of sales skills that I had previously thought to be fully developed. I am undoubtedly growing significantly, in a relevant way that will apply to the rest of my career.

Best solution on the market - and with that comes a price. Makes the sales challenging, stressful, but fun!

Cons

Expectations are high and this is not a job you can coast through. Not that this is a a con, but with this can come longer days at times.

Jun 21, 2018 – CEO

Challenge, creativity, and growth -- not sure I could think of a better way to describe my ideal workplace! So glad you're experiencing all that!! 💚💚💚💚

The stress & hard work, yeah I get... More

"The Best Place To Be"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time

Pros

Working on amazing products with a truly amazing team. Everyone here is so helpful and welcoming! I am encouraged to do my best work and I am also lucky enough to be able to keep learning and growing. The team is super diverse and encourages openness, individuality and inclusion. I've seriously never worked anywhere better than this. We are also in a great location with great snacks!

Cons

There are legitimately no cons.

Aug 28, 2018 – CEO

I love the positivity. As much as I really value constructive criticism and see it as a gift, sometimes it just makes me smile to hear the really nice stuff. 💚

Don't worry - if you ever have... More

"Greenhouse rules"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Awesome product
    - People are really passionate about our mission
    - Great opportunity for career development
    - Founders are solid and I always feel like employees' best interest are at heart
    - If you want to roll up your sleeves and build something Greenhouse is for you - you are encouraged to do meaningful work, even if it's not your immediate job description
    - Great people - some of my best friends are made here
    - Data-driven - pretty mature company for our size and decisions are almost always backed by data and measured regularly, rarely "flying by the seat of our pants" but still nimble when we need to be
    - Highly transparent culture - from the top down
    - Consistently hitting most of our numbers

Cons

- Highly collaborative environment can sometimes feel like "too many cooks in the kitchen"
    - Somewhat "flat" hierarchy can sometimes be tough to navigate
    - Sometimes can seem like a heavy meeting culture
    - Sales culture doesn't seem very competitive,

Advice to Management

For the most part keep up the good work. I feel like my voice is heard and most recommendations I make within the org are considered and typically actioned on where appropriate.

Aug 28, 2018 – CEO

Thanks you sincerely for taking time for this thorough writeup. It feels great to see the long list of Pro's and thoughtful critiques - many of which are echoed by many of your colleagues here... More

"Best Place to Work"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time

Pros

Some of the reasons I love working at Greenhouse include:
    - Clear visibility into career growth and encouragement to partake in learning & development to increase skillset
    - Emphasis on diversity & inclusion within the workplace
    - Priority to maintain company culture during high-growth periods
    - Increased share in the market, proving our continuous impact and ability to scale
    - Authentic and open two-way communication from executive leadership down
    - Cross-departmental collaboration to achieve company & team goals

Cons

The only 'con' is that we have run out of meeting rooms and don't have much space for private meetings. That being said, we are moving offices in the near future and I know these concerns are being addressed.

Advice to Management

I value the way our leadership team runs the business and provides visibility into goals and decisions that impact employees. I am confident management will continue to prioritize maintaining our authenticity and transparency as we continue to grow headcount.

Aug 28, 2018 – CEO

Hi there - appreciate the note! So, so happy to hear you're having such a positive experience here. As to some of the cons you point out, as I'm sure you know, we hope many of those to be addressed... More

"Sales Development Representative"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time

Pros

Greenhouse is, by far, the best organization that I have ever worked for. The people are incredible - supportive, collaborative and genuinely care about each other's success, and the success of the company. Everyone is treated as a human being, not just a number. There are endless opportunities for learning and development, as well as a structured career ladder.

Cons

There simply aren't any cons!

Aug 28, 2018 – CEO

I am really, really proud of our SDR team. I know at many other places it can seem like a real grind, but our SDR leaders are some of the best leaders I've worked with anywhere and I give them tons... More

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Empathy and collaboration are really highly valued, making this a really great place to work with other people
    * Everyone is really motivated to be better every day, there's not a lot of complacency, and this is true of senior leadership as well which is refreshing
    * It's fun and exciting to be with a company that continues to succeed in the way Greenhouse does

Cons

Many of my complaints are small inconveniences that are part of a larger story.
    * Sometimes desk space is sparse (because we are hiring great new folks)
    * Sometimes it's too loud (because people get excited about their work)
    * Sometimes someone has eaten all the apples by 2pm and I'm hungry

These are cons I deem pretty livable. What I appreciate though, is that if/when a Con does bubble up that concerns me, I feel comfortable escalating it to senior management.

Advice to Management

Keep that drive to get better every day!

Aug 28, 2018 – CEO

Grateful for you sharing your perspective, thanks.

I love your balanced review and your even keeled perspective about some of the challenges of working at Greenhouse (or any small/growing... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

colleague, manager, work / life balance, personal growth

Cons

I have been working at Greenhouse for almost 3 years and it is very hard to think about a negative experience.

One con for me is that the benefits are not as good as companies like Facebook or Google. But I think it is a unfair comparison.

Aug 28, 2018 – CEO

Hey after three years if that's the only con I think we're doing allright! Thanks for being here all this time & here's to many more to-come!

"Thoughtful and Authentic"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The leadership team at Greenhouse is thoughtful and authentic. This encourages staff to be the same.
    - People truly care.
    - Coworkers are great, I can get lunch or coffee with anyone and have a great time.
    - Management may be slow on changes but the results will be seen.

Cons

This can be a con to some people, the company changes a lot. Management changes, executives change, policy changes as we grow to accommodate the growth, budgets change, etc. Leadership is transparent and open to questions about all the changes which helps but it's a lot of change. If you are looking for boring and consistent, this isn't it.

Advice to Management

It would be great for the leadership team to be a bit more present in the company activities, such as happy hours and fun days. Maybe join the cocktail club on a Friday, eat lunch in the rec room, attend a trivia night, join a cross-team lunch, etc.

Jul 25, 2018 – CEO

Great comments! Great advice! I'll try to do lunch in the rec room from time to time - honestly it's habit more than conscious decision to eat at my desk, why not change it up?

Yes great advice... More

"Amazing company and product"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am more than 3 years into my time at Greenhouse. I love it here. What an amazing, smart and inspiring group of people I work with. Being a first time mom the Parental and Family leave benefit was so helpful to me along with all the support I receive from my fellow moms. Our team shows up to work every day to make the product better, challenge the norm and help companies hire better. You can feel it in our office which is high energy, collaborative and a really positive experience. Our Benefits and Perks are top notch. Our vision and values inspire me and I've loved being challenged by my colleagues and customers.

Cons

Our growth means our open floor office is pretty loud, it's sometimes hard to find quiet places to work or even take a call. Career paths for the AE team don't really exist so you have to create your own.

Advice to Management

Rock on Team.

Jul 25, 2018 – CEO

Thanks so much for the kind words & great feedback. Really nice to hear the positive impact that the company's support & benefits are having for you and your family. Appreciate the time you took... More

"BEST PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-entry level employees are treated with the same respect as senior employees
    -you are invested in and middle management is stellar in helping you grow
    -SF has a strong relationship culture among employees. Over time people become your family
    -The customer support team is amazing. We have each other’s backs and if a conflict arises we take care of it
    -smart customers that push you to provide a top tier product
    -anyone in any role can contribute to new processes/ideas
    -transparency from the decision makers. Even as an entry level employee I’ve had individual time with all major leaders of the company/my team
    - good benefits

Cons

It can take time to get used to small office/start up culture if you’re coming from a different industry. Also a very complex product so onboarding can take months. Better commuter benefits would be nice :)

Advice to Management

Keep it up! You’re changing lives.

Aug 28, 2018 – CEO

I've heard often that the best feature of Greenhouse is "our customer support" and it's folks like you that help make it that way - so thank you! You take what could be seen as an unglamorous job... More