Greenhouse Software Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Greenhouse Software CEO Daniel Chait
Daniel Chait

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • challenge of work, career opportunities, company culture, management, work/life balance, compensation and benefits etc (in 5 reviews)

• Everyone working at Greenhouse understands the value of GH (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is growing so fast it seems as though they have to change locations every year or so (in 7 reviews)

• There are growing pains as I would expect at any organization in this position (in 8 reviews)

"Truly a best place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Really intelligent colleagues and challenging work
    -Lots of opportunities to learn and grow -- everything I've wanted to take on and try, I've been able to!
    -Good working culture with a healthy work/life balance
    -Awesome product that is actually the best thing out there
    -Lots of internal professional development opportunities

Cons

-As a growing company, it is frequent that things are being done for the first time -- Greenhouse doesn't always get it right, but is quick to iterate and learn!

Aug 17, 2017 – CEO

Awesome - thanks so much for providing your perspective.

I read one time about Steve Jobs - "he's not always right, but he always *gets* it right" and I think that's a great inspiration. We're... More

"Best job I've ever had"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time

Pros

I want to start by saying that I've never been at any job for three years. I always either got bored or disenchanted with the company. I'm well past my two year anniversary here and still going strong. I believe in the mission, I love the people, and I truly believe that this is the best place to grow my career. There is plenty of room to develop skills and take on more responsibility. I feel like my manager genuinely cares about me and my development and believes that investing in me is investing in Greenhouse.

Cons

Being in the SF office can be hard. We're getting a lot better with it, but it still can feel like you're not in the heart of everything.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Aug 17, 2017 – CEO

Wow what a compliment! I'm super proud of our team and company that we've been able to support our people in this way and provide such a rewarding experience.

I hear you re: SF - it's partly just... More

"A place that truly lets you be yourself"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a current employee at Greenhouse and could not love it more. This is a place where you get to work with extremely smart and talented people where egos are left at the door and you can bring your true self to the table. The company culture, software, and training programs are wonderful and exactly what you'd want to see from a company such as this. There is also the opportunity to build a personalized plan for yourself within the company for your own growth. Overall, I couldn't be happier. If you feel like you'd be a good fit for this place - apply here! Not even kidding, it's amazing.

Cons

The one con that everyone has - which can also serve as a pro here - is that the company moves FAST and grows at a quick pace. As long as you are intuitive to these changes, you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I love it here. I feel at home here.

Aug 17, 2017 – CEO

Wow this is fantastic feedback. Thanks so much for taking a few minutes to share your experience!

"A Meaningful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt, Greenhouse is the most fulfilling place I have worked in my career. The company is filled with nice, driven people who care about you. Greenhouse avoids the two pit-traps that most common start-ups at this stage has:

1. Culture is taken seriously. Greenhouse made an early dedicated investment in People culture. You can be a strong, talkative personality or a quiet, introverted soul and you'll find your own niche here. Joining Greenhouse is asking you to bring who you are to work and care about the work you and your colleagues are doing and helping out where need be.

2. Everyone's work is valued. Greenhouse is collaborative and cares about everyone's voice. This is a not a sales or engineering-centric role. The company is dedicated to fostering individual growth with L&D workshops for employees and managers in addition to providing the budget for you to pursuit your own interests.

Cons

In terms of cons, there have been changes at the executive level and shifting priorities make everyone understandably anxious. Greenhouse has helped to mitigate by maintaining open communication about the decisions that were made or the business rationale for them. The expectation is that we're adults and deserve a mature explanation and be well-supported as those departments/teams go through these changes.

Greenhouse can do more at fostering better habits for its employees to be more welcoming and inclusive to colleagues who are remote or based in San Francisco in meetings.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in our culture and our employee's development. It would go a long way to furthering cross-office collaboration to develop set standards on how meetings are run so everyone is heard (particularly if they are in SF or remote).

Aug 17, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a full picture of your experience working here.

I love that you use words like "meaningful", "fulfilling", etc. I feel like there's sort of a formula... More

"I am not messing around..."

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am writing this review with a smile on my face. I feel extremely fortunate to be selling a product that truly helps companies.

Pros? Cons? Where do I start??

1. Great working culture. Everyone working at Greenhouse understands the value of GH.

2. Everyone who is a part of Greenhouse Software believes in the platform and believes in the impact we can have on the industry.

3. Customers love the platform - there is nothing better than selling a product that we know will truly add value to the customer.

3. Every member of the Greenhouse team is passionate about Greenhouse customers and making sure the Greenhouse is experience is the awesome!!!

Cons

We can relate to any successful teenage startup -- learning as we go...

Advice to Management

The company is growing so fast that there is often a lack of interaction with my manager. Also, at times, there are delays in communicating the latest product updates.

Jun 26, 2017 – CEO

To paraphrase an old saying: "If you have an apple and give it to me, then you and I will still have only one apple. But if you have a smile and share it with me, then we will now have two smiles... More

"Lots of accomplishments so far, lots more fun runway ahead"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Greenhouse has been the formative experience of my career so far. I feel incredibly grateful to have ended up here doing the work I've done with the people around me. There are a few things to highlight:
    * I have been given more opportunities for growth than I've had ever before. This comes in two ways: 1) My manager consistently looks for new challenges for me, and advocates for me to get them, and 2) helps me think about things that are hard or not that fun in the moment as growth (which is always true)
    * The people are really great. Particularly at the management / leadership levels, I genuinely feel that people are invested in each other and Greenhouse's success. Lots of good intentions, very little politics.
    * I'm motivated by the general problem we're solving. It's fun to think about how to move an entire industry, and I like that changing our industry changes lots of lives (make work / finding work a great experience)

Cons

* A pro and con for me is the speed of change. It's what keeps me engaged, but at the same time the moment you think your comfortable, something changes and there's a new problem to solve and you're uncomfortable again. It can be tiring at moments.
    * It can be harder to capture the good vibes / excitement from the SF office and you often have to advocate for yourself more than our NYC counterparts to get the same quality of work done.

Advice to Management

Eh, not much of substance. Thanks for being you.

Jun 12, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the review - especially the perspective from SF which is something I've heard for some time. At some level being a satellite office (neither founder lives there) this will always be a... More

"Great company with a bright future"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The founders are awesome executives. They have the skill and intelligence to build a big company. The people that work here care deeply about the company, the customers, and each other. Customers get huge value from the product. The ROI of purchasing Grrenhouse is massive. There is a pervasive feeling that the future is bright.

Cons

The company grew so fast in the beginning and a portion of the employees that have been here for a long time have a sense of entitlement and are resistant to change. Personal accountability levels are lower than what I've seen in the past.

Advice to Management

Empower high performers to do more. Keep a winning mindset. Take risks.

Jun 26, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the really kind words about Jon and me, and more importantly, about the people and organization we have here. I love what you had to say about the care people put in to their work here... More

"Awesome company full of genuine people"

Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Transparent leadership. We have regular AMA's, and tough questions are handled candidly. Our leadership has a great plan for the future, and are balanced between caution and bravery to make it happen. Our teams collaborate and drive success every day. We celebrate our successes, learn from our missteps, and build each other up.

Cons

Being a company that spans from coast to coast presents some challenges that we deal with by being a communicative group and video conferencing, but it's still always a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Jun 1, 2017 – CEO

Great to hear your feedback & it's really nice that you've had a positive experience here. I'm sure it helps folks to get a clear view of Greenhouse when they hear from insiders like yourself so... More

"The Best Place to Work!"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time

Pros

- Excellent work/life balance
    - Heavy focus on great management culture
    - Transparency and lifting others up are core tenets, not afterthoughts
    - Diversity is a priority, not an empty talking point

Cons

- Not a fan of the open work plan

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees as your most valuable asset! It keeps us motivated and makes us actually care about our impact on the company!

Jun 26, 2017 – CEO

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Really, really lovely to see that the things we're trying to do (management culture, transparency, diversity, etc) are actually having an impact!

On the office... More

"Best Job I've Had, Surrounded by Amazing People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You join Greenhouse not for the perks or anything (which aren’t half-bad) - but to be surrounded by people who, at the end of the day, you want to spend even more time with. Work itself is a lot more enjoyable when you’re working with, and are surrounded by, people who like and respect. Everyone here is hard working and dedicated to their job, as well as fun to hang out with! I can’t emphasize that enough.

Additionally, the work is continuously interesting and challenging. There is perpetually an endless list of things to be done, and being on a team that is passionate and introspective/self-improving helps you accomplish and learn a ton. This type of work environment comes from the top. Our leadership really leads by example.

The perks (unlimited PTO, snacks, fridge full of beer, etc) are great and all, and the work environment (great work/life balance, flexible work hours, high levels of trust and autonomy) don’t hurt - but the reasons above are why I’m still working here.

Cons

Being on the engineering team, at times I feel isolated from what's going on in other departments. The two-floor layout, being separated from many other teams, definitely contributes to that as well. But things like an in-office cornhole tournament, or our quarterly Fun Days (we take an afternoon and go do fun activities each quarter) help bridge that gap!

Jun 5, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the comments. I love what you had to say about the reasons why you're here - totally resonates with me. I truly value those things as well and hope we can continue to maintain a strong... More