Greenhouse Software Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Greenhouse Software CEO Daniel Chait
Daniel Chait

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good working culture with a healthy work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The product itself is also something you can feel good about representing as it's a great product (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There are growing pains as I would expect at any organization in this position (in 8 reviews)

• Like any start-up -- especially ones in hyper-growth -- there is a lot of change (in 5 reviews)

1. "Challenging and rewarding (and longest) tenure so far"

Current Employee - It's A Secret in New York, NY
    Current Employee - It's A Secret in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+work projects are interesting, challenging and rewarding.
    +colleagues are respectful, fun and make the day feel less like a "work day".
    +manager is very attentive to me needs and development; provides the autonomy needed to learn and succeed.
    +company culture overall is a a very positive, warm experience.
    +Total rewards (salary+benefits+perks) are exactly what I would expect from a maturing start-up in the tech space.

Cons

-though my manager is great, not all managers hold that same greatness. Many managers are new/green or less effective and definitely need ongoing, consistent training and development.
    -internal transfer and promotions are definitely present, and that presence can always be improved upon
    -the only meaty thing missing from the rewards package is a 401k match.

Advice to Management

+ double down on managerial training programs. Perhaps hire someone (like an HR Business Partner) to focus on these kind of programs.
    +Be sure employees are being heard when they tell their managers they want to grow into the next step in their career.
    +Onboarding, company communication, and overall company culture is A+ - keep it up!

2. "Authentic"

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been here for a week and I love it!

- A company that truly values its employees – you'll find that tenured folks here have interesting (in a good way!) career paths that allow for unconventional growth you rarely find anywhere else
    - Genuine, empathetic people – everyone makes an effort to get to know you as a person (during the interview process and even in the hallways on your first day!)
    - A culture that fosters diversity and inclusivity

Cons

None that I can think of, but Greenhouse is definitely scrappier and smaller than other companies, which could be a "culture" curve for some.

3. "awesome place to work and grow!"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great coworkers, good pay, weekends off - they really care about employee happiness and work/life balance.

Cons

Some teams are still small and get stretched thin.

Advice to Management

Stay real!

Jan 11, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback & perspective!
    Great to see the generally positive review, and thanks for pointing out the stress as well.

"Greenhouse - A Truly Special Place"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Product: Being in sales, and coming from a top company to work in the SaaS space, a great product is critical to success in my function. And Greenhouse has the best products in our space, that customers love working with so much that we have a 97% retention rate in our client base. I love talking Greenhouse!

- Leadership: I have worked with amazing leadership in the past and Greenhouse is no exception. Sales Management has the best interest of the Sales team, and full support while allowing autonomy. We also have access to the President and CEO on the floor to talk about the product, or a specific difficult prospect or sale - this is rare and highly valued.

- Ownership: High reward for hard work. This is not a place where you can coast. You are empowered to own your process, your prospective clients, your conversations, and all of your work. Most importantly, you're given all of the tools (work with top notch and high tech systems) to enable your success.

Cons

- None that I can think of

Advice to Management

- With exciting times coming up ahead, there can be more thought put into product launches and communication between all the parties and teams involved. We want to continue making our customers feel amazing and the best way to do this is be over-prepared for every conversation we are having. Otherwise, keep up the great work - this is an amazing company with a promising road ahead.

Oct 26, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback and great to hear you're having such a positive experience here. I'm proud of the things you highlighted (product, leadership, ownership) - those things matter! Awesome to... More

"I <3 Greenhouse!"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely open minded and they have a very diverse culture. Their interviews are long but really fun. They have amazing medical benefits. They offer a ton of organic snacks including avocados, bananas, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, chips, pretzels, gummy snacks, guacamole dip, bread, bagels, honey, sriracha sauce, carrots, hummus, granola bars, protein bars, protein powder, string cheese, every flavor of la croix water, every type of milk (almond, coconut, soy, half n half, whole, 2%, lactose free, etc), cereal, and beer.

Cons

I wish we had a panini maker, lunch meat and cheese, and I wish we had matched 401k.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! There is a reason that Greenhouse is #1 on Glassdoor!

Oct 26, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the lovely comments & feedback. Really nice to hear some of the things you appreciate most about our environment. And what a comprehensive enumeration of our kitchen! Reading that, it's... More

"Great Company, Great Culture, Great People"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Greenhouse has an amazing, collaborative and open minded culture. Every employee is set up for success from the beginning. Everyone is very team-oriented and is looking to help one another out.

Cons

No cons, I've been very satisfied.

Advice to Management

None, the management here is one of my favorite parts about the company!

Oct 26, 2017 – CEO

Great to hear - thanks for taking the time to share your positive outlook!

"I Couldn't Be Happier!"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Awesome leadership: leadership knows how to lead and inspire, great future outlook for the company, actually CARES about their employees

- Benefits and perks: fantastic benefits (including PTO and work from home options), discounts on almost everything imaginable, super knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to answering questions

- Culture: I'm excited to come to work everyday because I actually like the people I work with. Everyone cares about the job they do and the company itself. I don't have to put on this "work" persona that is different from who I am any other time. I feel accepted, respected, and appreciated.

- The Work Itself: Because leadership actually believes in the product, that enthusiasm for it gets passed down to everyone. No matter what role you're in, it's clear that you're doing important work for the company itself. You can see the impact you're having on the company and that's not something that a lot of companies take time to highlight.

Cons

- While there is a multi-year plan for the company, it sometimes feels as though decisions are made with a little too short-sighted vision. Nothing major that has impacted the company but more of a hindsight is 20/20 scenario.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Stay true to your vision and keep focusing on the human side of the business world.

Oct 26, 2017 – CEO

Hi & thanks for the feedback. I like how you broke it down into leadership, benefits, culture, and work itself -- helpful! On your "con" -- yep. It's constantly a challenge to keep our eyes on the... More

"A truly open and inclusive workplace aiming to constantly iterate and improve"

Pros

-An amazing and supportive People team who makes sure we have the best benefits and perks and are constantly working to make them better

-An employee run culture committee in place (that rotates each year) to make sure that team specific feedback is being heard and changes are being made

-People who bring their whole selves to work and are honest about struggles and successes at work and outside of work

-Transparent bi-annual engagement surveys with feedback that is implemented across the org

Cons

-Open office can be challenging for concentration. Important to find productivity tools to make sure you're successful and efficient

-Constant growth and change can be really exhausting. Being solution oriented and chasing those challenges is a great skill to have in this environment.

-Working across coasts is difficult not only because we're in different places but because of the different working styles we have

Advice to Management

-More team specific on-boarding is going to be important as teams change/evolve and work to find their identities

-Continuing to be as open and honest (and asking for team feedback) as much as possible around org changes

-More robust manager training/coaching for managers that have never managed or aren't as comfortable with it

Aug 30, 2017 – CEO

What a thoughtful write-up. I really appreciate that you made the effort to provide such specific advice. Some quick reactions:

* Team-specific onboarding - great idea, will point this out to... More

"Best place I've worked at!"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have the autonomy to lead my own projects, and am supported to drive them. I am valued and recognized here. My coworkers are authentic and it's refreshing for me to be able to bring my full self to work. Everyone here is extremely smart and they are extremely collaborative. I also like that I get free avocados.

Cons

Like any growing startup, the workload can be overwhelming at times. Good thing I have coworkers who I can lean on.

Aug 30, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this up! Awesome to hear you're having such a positive experience.

"Amazing place to work!"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I know it sounds cheesy, but the people I work with are the reason I wake up every morning happy to go to work. Greenhouse lives by the product/services it sells: just as we help other companies to have world-class people-practices (hiring, onboarding, etc.), Greenhouse has built its own world-class organization.

Cons

The mood may vary by team in the organization. E.g. the engineering team's morale seems higher than in other departments.

Aug 30, 2017 – CEO

Hi there & thanks for making the time to provide this write up. Really really great to hear all the positive things you have to say, and I'm sure it's helpful to others to read it as well.

As to... More