Greenhouse Software Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Greenhouse Software CEO Daniel Chait
Daniel Chait

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everyone here supports work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Everyone working at Greenhouse understands the value of GH (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Like any start-up -- especially ones in hyper-growth -- there is a lot of change (in 5 reviews)

• No cons, I've been very satisfied (in 3 reviews)

"Best place I've ever worked!"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everything :)
    Culture, People, Work/Life balance, Opportunity for growth, Pay

Cons

It will be hard to leave!

Advice to Management

None - everyone is very transparent.

Apr 16, 2018 – CEO

What a lovely note - thanks for letting us all know!

"Greenhouse is the best company I've worked for"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time

Pros

I can be myself at Greenhouse. Everyone here supports work/life balance. Like most startups that are trying to scale, the hours can be long. So when I'm working longer hours, it can be stressful but the colleagues are what make everything worthwhile. I love the people at Greenhouse.

Cons

As I mentioned in the note above, workload can become pretty heavy at times because we are growing. We've been pretty lean for quite some time and I'm looking forward to our team growing.

Advice to Management

We need a 401k match, and management needs to be a bit more transparent with career tracks.

Build out the teams so that we are not so lean. This is already in progress but let's keep this in mind as we continue to scale.

Apr 16, 2018 – CEO

Really appreciate the feedback - both the positive (means a lot!) but also the criticism.

To address the points you raised:
    1. 401k match - when we looked at this in the past, we saw that while... More

"Be your best self at Greenhouse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Greenhouse! Here are a few of the best parts:
    - It is a place where you can truly be yourself at work and feel valued for your uniqueness and what you bring to the table.
    - Autonomy and managers who trust you to get your work done (no micromanagement).
    - There is really great work/life balance and you never have to feel guilty about working from home or taking some time away from the office.
    - There are opportunities for advancement and to move around the company if you have aspirations outside of the department that you were hired into.
    - The people here are really smart and just genuinely nice, good people.

Cons

- You have to be really adaptable and comfortable with change because we are ever growing and evolving as we mature as a company. There are some processes that are put into place, poorly communicated and then changed the next day. It can be frustrating - but just part of working at a start-up!
    - Communication is not always great when it comes to new hires, promotions, people leaving the team, and other organizational changes. Sometimes it feels like only certain people on the team are privy to this information while some others are not.
    - The experience with managers seems to vary dramatically based on department. Some managers are very experienced while others have no experience. It is unfortunate if you are stuck with someone who does not know how to develop a team.

"Happiest place I have been, professionally"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time

Pros

-- Collaborating with brilliant people, within your team and outside your team
    -- Encouraged to leverage Flex-PTO and WFH policies (sometimes it may be a thing but management might discourage it)
    -- Challenged to contribute beyond just what is within your job description

Cons

-- Camaraderie between coasts has been difficult to manage, which may be a consequence of scale, but should still be a priority to leadership
    -- Perks could be more in-line with some other tech companies, but that is not a huge priority since we are still a start-up

Advice to Management

I am as excited now as I was when I joined Greenhouse. We are excelling in many areas relative to our goals but something to keep in mind is the natural growing pains that often come paired with a growing enterprise, such as gaps in recognition and diminished focus on maintaining the organization's values and culture. But I truly believe a lot of us have faith in our leadership moving forward.

"Really happy here!"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time

Pros

- great environment
    - very thoughtful about company growth
    - great leadership
    - strong people managers throughout organization

Cons

- It's a startup so things change fast and that also means things can slow down very fast
    - seems like some areas of the business have slightly better and more flexible career progression paths

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and openness with your employees! It makes us feel like an actual part of the company and family.

6. "Great Product, Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Greenhouse less than a year now and in my career, have not worked for a better company. This is a product that is best of breed and always innovating to move forward. The true care from everyone in the company towards each other and the customers is real. The fact that Daniel and Jon, along with other senior leaders across all departments, will happily join in customer or prospect calls, shows that this company practices everything it preaches. Everyone cares. There is no surprise that the formula here works - as seen with the explosive growth and market share grab.

Cons

As with all start up environments, structure can be lacking at times, but this also opens up opportunities for discussion around changes - which are always taken into consideration.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! This company is a best place to work and a best of breed solution to help solve critical business challenges

7. "Challenging and rewarding (and longest) tenure so far"

Current Employee - It's A Secret in New York, NY
    Current Employee - It's A Secret in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+work projects are interesting, challenging and rewarding.
    +colleagues are respectful, fun and make the day feel less like a "work day".
    +manager is very attentive to me needs and development; provides the autonomy needed to learn and succeed.
    +company culture overall is a a very positive, warm experience.
    +Total rewards (salary+benefits+perks) are exactly what I would expect from a maturing start-up in the tech space.

Cons

-though my manager is great, not all managers hold that same greatness. Many managers are new/green or less effective and definitely need ongoing, consistent training and development.
    -internal transfer and promotions are definitely present, and that presence can always be improved upon
    -the only meaty thing missing from the rewards package is a 401k match.

Advice to Management

+ double down on managerial training programs. Perhaps hire someone (like an HR Business Partner) to focus on these kind of programs.
    +Be sure employees are being heard when they tell their managers they want to grow into the next step in their career.
    +Onboarding, company communication, and overall company culture is A+ - keep it up!

Feb 22, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for taking time to contribute your feedback!

Great feedback & advice too. I see a through-line in your comments around consistency of management - making sure all our managers are able to... More

8. "Authentic"

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been here for a week and I love it!

- A company that truly values its employees – you'll find that tenured folks here have interesting (in a good way!) career paths that allow for unconventional growth you rarely find anywhere else
    - Genuine, empathetic people – everyone makes an effort to get to know you as a person (during the interview process and even in the hallways on your first day!)
    - A culture that fosters diversity and inclusivity

Cons

None that I can think of, but Greenhouse is definitely scrappier and smaller than other companies, which could be a "culture" curve for some.

Feb 22, 2018 – CEO

Now that it's been a little more than a month, hope you're still having a great experience!

As to your "con" - as it were - yup, not only smaller than some, but bigger than others; scrappier... More

9. "awesome place to work and grow!"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great coworkers, good pay, weekends off - they really care about employee happiness and work/life balance.

Cons

Some teams are still small and get stretched thin.

Advice to Management

Stay real!

Jan 11, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback & perspective!
    Great to see the generally positive review, and thanks for pointing out the stress as well.

"Greenhouse - A Truly Special Place"

I have been working at Greenhouse Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Product: Being in sales, and coming from a top company to work in the SaaS space, a great product is critical to success in my function. And Greenhouse has the best products in our space, that customers love working with so much that we have a 97% retention rate in our client base. I love talking Greenhouse!

- Leadership: I have worked with amazing leadership in the past and Greenhouse is no exception. Sales Management has the best interest of the Sales team, and full support while allowing autonomy. We also have access to the President and CEO on the floor to talk about the product, or a specific difficult prospect or sale - this is rare and highly valued.

- Ownership: High reward for hard work. This is not a place where you can coast. You are empowered to own your process, your prospective clients, your conversations, and all of your work. Most importantly, you're given all of the tools (work with top notch and high tech systems) to enable your success.

Cons

- None that I can think of

Advice to Management

- With exciting times coming up ahead, there can be more thought put into product launches and communication between all the parties and teams involved. We want to continue making our customers feel amazing and the best way to do this is be over-prepared for every conversation we are having. Otherwise, keep up the great work - this is an amazing company with a promising road ahead.

Oct 26, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback and great to hear you're having such a positive experience here. I'm proud of the things you highlighted (product, leadership, ownership) - those things matter! Awesome to... More