Greenhouse Software Reviews

Former Employee, more than 3 years

A great place to work

Dec 12, 2020 - Content Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved my time working here. Really amazing people who help you do the best work of your career

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

So glad you had a great experience here, and that your time at Greenhouse was positive. In addition to being a great place to be, I am proud that Greenhouse is a great place to be "from" as well. Appreciate your feedback & thanks for taking the time to provide it.

2. 4.0

Great Company

Feb 20, 2021 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers Pay career development remote working

Cons

Benefits culture being valued as a employee

Appreciate the feedback.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Will never leave!

Oct 20, 2020 - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people, the product, and the opportunity the company provides to succeed. It's a blast to work with people who actually care about you.

Cons

Crowded market for the product, so sometimes it's a difficult sell to startups given the tool is expensive. It's the best available option for any company hiring though.

4 people found this review helpful

CEO

Whoa! I love the loyalty and I'm proud that you're experiencing so much success, but, like "never" is a long time! :-). I hope we can continue to earn your loyalty year in & year out. The leadership team and I really care deeply about providing a workplace where everyone can do their best work. Thanks for taking a moment to write up your feedback - I know lots of folks appreciate it.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company and so proud to be a part of Greenhouse & its growth!

Oct 30, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Directors & managers really care about your professional development and will do whatever they can to help you reach your goals. You're expected to be the best and that just motivates you to always strive for continuous improvement.

Cons

Workload can be a lot but that's if you don't manage your time well

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Hey - thanks for the awesome writeup! I'm really happy that we're having such a positive impact on you. As an aside, I think the job of an SDR is incredibly hard and have massive respect for you being able to succeed in it. Keep at it! Our SDR team is so great -- I truly admire your motivation, effort, creativity and positive attitudes.

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Company's actions don't match words. Product is ok with mediocrity

Sep 14, 2020 - R& D in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people Trust and autonomy in teams Good work life balance

Cons

In the years I've worked here, the product has been slow to adapt and resistant to improving. Leadership is afraid of slowing down to change for the better and as a result, the product has only grown more haphazard. Like a previous reviewer said, new products and feature improvements feel hacky. Aside from product, within R&D, there's an exclusionary power dynamic. Leadership's words about diversity and accountability are just words. Relies on performative measures instead of committing to real change. Primarily listens to people who have drank the Greenhouse Kool-aid as a way to measure how well they're doing and discounts the rest.

14 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write up your feedback. I know people truly do appreciate it! I'm obviously disappointed to hear that you have been thinking the product trajectory is slow and the direction are off track. I know product decisions are complex and almost all of them involve major trade-offs. Surely we have made product choices that could be better (and/or optimized for different priorities) but overall the data I see indicate that our customers are increasingly happy, we are more competitive in the market, and we are having more impact within our customers as a whole. But those are all areas where no doubt there are many perspectives and choices. More concerning are your comments around our culture and values. It's obviously upsetting to see that we've let you down, given that belonging is a core value and something I care deeply about. I know our leadership team works hard to create a culture of inclusion and belonging. For example, in a recent internal survey we discovered that as the company has grown, people increasingly feel like they lack clarity on how decisions are made at the company. The result is that some folks feel disempowered, or that there must be some secret group making decisions without them! In reality it points to a need for us to be clearer in how decisions get made, including what role everyone can play in them, what factors go into each decision, how they are communicated, etc. All pretty normal growing pains stuff at a fast-growing tech company but nonetheless it can feel dispiriting as an employee. Because of this, we are putting in place much clearer decision-making frameworks company-wide which will allow everyone to see what's happening and feel much better about how things work. I point that example out not to say we've fixed everything (or are about to). But rather, to illustrate that we'll always keep working to build and reinforce a strong culture where everyone can bring their whole self to work, and people feel valued and heard.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

NO WORDS. so poorly handled and went against absolutely everything they claim they are

Apr 17, 2020 - SDR in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

None. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Zip.

Cons

-worked there for just over 30 days was hired right before all this COVID 19 happened. - kept saying the people are what matter most, will do everything they can to keep the culture and people.... - does THE COMPLETE opposite!Fires 30% of their staff in a way that’s like a bachelor episode. - makes one of the best SDR managers an SDR rep...huge slap in the face if you ask me. - let’s go of 52% of sales...good luck selling your damn product and getting back and running. - hires a Chief revenue officer who’s job literally shouldn’t be a thing right now..guy doesn’t know any of the employees and is telling us who’s let go by copy and pasting AND misspelling these let go employees - giving severance in one big lump some...”You’re fired from a job that basically had your back and then on the last day of the week ripped the rug from underneath you and here’s some change in your account!” All in all, this company that I was so proud to say I worked for, even if it was for a small time is a disgrace. I’m aware times are tough but not one thing went correctly with their delivery. I hope Dan and Jon and all the other top dogs see this message and realize what a massive mistake they made to the company they worked hard to grow. Greenhouse will be liquidated within a year.

13 people found this review helpful

CEO

First, thanks for sharing your feedback and comments. My heart goes out to everyone we had to lay off. It is never an easy decision to take actions that impact people’s lives in this way, and we did our best to handle the layoffs with as much transparency, trust, respect and fairness as possible. I’ve no doubt we will learn lessons from this event but right now, it’s clear that this process has hurt you, and for that you have my deep sympathy. Please know that everyone in the company has been working hard to help those people we could not afford to keep. We have job searching resources available, we are actively connecting former staff with job openings through our networks, and the Greenhouse alumni community is here to provide support and connections. I encourage you to take advantage of these and wish you well as you move on to your next role.

7. 5.0

Great

Dec 1, 2020 - Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work for me.

Cons

none, from my point of view

Great! 💚

8. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great company, hard times.

Apr 23, 2020 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hard to know where to begin, it's an extraordinary workplace in many ways. I'll try to list a few: 1. Customer-centric approach to every part of the business 2. Valuable product with a great market fit 3. Strong and human mission, especially for a B2B SaaS company 4. One of the most diverse and inclusive workplaces in tech 5. Exceptional executive support for employee-led initiatives 6. Empathetic, thoughtful and compassionate leadership 7. Collaborative teams focused on solving difficult problems 8. Fair pay and generous benefits 9. The list goes on. 10. If Greenhouse is hiring when you're reading this and you're on the fence about applying, you should definitely apply.

Cons

Full disclosure: I was let go as part of the recent round of layoffs due to the recession caused by covid. _________________________________________________________ There were some notable problems that persisted prior to the layoffs, none of which were surprising for a company at Greenhouse's stage. 1. Disjointed leadership team: No structure for communicating vision and goals across departments. Led to misalignment of initiatives and inefficiencies from duplicative work. 2. Unbalanced hierarchy: Some departments had VPs, some reported directly to CXOs, others didn't go above Director. This led to disproportionate advocacy and some teams being less represented than others in the decision making process. _________________________________________________________ In regards to the recent layoffs, I can't speak to the quality of decisions themselves since only time will tell, but I can speak to how they handled the process and communications. I know this was a painful decision for the company's leaders. They were admirably open, transparent, and fair throughout. The circumstances they were operating under were totally unprecedented, so great execution would not be a fair expectation. Since I know that Daniel, Jon, and other company leaders genuinely value feedback and accountability, I'll call out some specifics: 1. Not all transparency is good. Two weeks prior to layoffs, executives started publicly positing downsizing as part of the go-forward strategy without providing any other details. This led to mass panic and speculation, and not much else. The message was muddled with flat attempts to reassure the staff with lines like "we all have a job to do" and "focus on the business." Candidly, keeping us in the dark for longer would have been a smarter strategy for the company and a more helpful one for the employees. 2. Get the directors involved. It seems like the directors were left and the dark and didn't decide who to keep within their teams. This seems counter to the interests of the company because the people with the most knowledge about how to run their departments didn't get to reshape the teams which they now must run. 3. Have a clear decision criteria. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with the specific layoffs that were made. Still, letting directors define, execute and communicate a decision criteria that suits the needs of their team within the existing financial constraints would allow them to more readily defend the decisions to their remaining team, and would put the company in a better position to bounce back in the future. 4. Give people a way to connect and say bye. Hopefully no more layoffs will be needed, but if they are make sure you provide an infrastructure that allows people to connect. A formal alumni network or some additional time to talk to coworkers before our systems were disabled would have been greatly appreciated.

14 people found this review helpful

CEO

Wow thank you for such a thoughtful review. I know people will really appreciate the candid perspective and detailed take on your time with Greenhouse. First, let's start with the good stuff. As I read over the "pros" you list, I can't help but beam with happiness. I think you hit on so many important ways in which I strive to build Greenhouse. THANK YOU and I'm super proud that you had such a positive experience with us. Next, in reading over your "cons", advice, and thoughts as to how we undertook the COVID-19 related layoff, there is tons and tons of great wisdom in there. Supporting former and remaining employees both - is personally my #1. The execs and I are spending time every day helping to support alumni and the company is pulling together more and more resources and efforts around this. "Take this post in good faith" is probably my next #1! I really really value solid, constructive feedback such as this, given in a spirit of being helpful. Thank you. As well, you can see how some of the issues we grappled with sometimes have no "good" option . The transparency pre-layoff for example: do you leave people in the dark and thus shocked when it hits, or do you prepare them that it's coming before you have details, thus creating a period of anxiety? No "good" option - layoffs suck, period. I think we focused on what we could control - being as respectful and empathetic as possible to the people we had to lay off, working hard to limit layoffs by looking elsewhere for savings, and trying to put together as much into a post-layoff package to help take care of alumni. In sum thanks again for providing this level of transparency and insight - I know that people considering work at Greenhouse really do value and appreciate it. All the best - Daniel

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Sep 11, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The company has a good product with good intentions to improve the hiring process for everyone. - People are smart and easy to work with.

Cons

The 401k could be better.

CEO

Hi and thanks for the feedback! I know people really appreciate hearing from employees so they can judge for themselves what working at Greenhouse will be like. I appreciate you making your feelings know about the 401k - it's understandable! And, of course, I am SO glad you have such a positive impression of our products and people. Means a lot to me. All the best - Daniel

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place to work ever!

Aug 20, 2020 - People Team Member
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employee-centric company with visionary, smart, and caring executive leadership. Amazing company culture. Truly a place to do the best work of your career.

Cons

No cons that I can think of - which is pretty incredible.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for the kind words, and for taking the time to share your perspective! I know people appreciate hearing from those on the inside. So glad you're having such a positive experience at Greenhouse, we'll keep working hard to ensure that our culture and organization stay healthy.

Viewing 21 - 30 of 185 Reviews