Greenhouse Software Reviews

Former Employee

A disappointing end

May 12, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Absolutely the people... most of them anyway. I have never worked with a group of people that I genuinely liked so much. It's a pretty transparent organization with a mission that's easy to get behind. Who doesn't want to improve hiring? We've all been through a bad hiring process, maybe in the future everyone can have a good one! Jon and Daniel are good leaders who are trying their best.

Cons

It is a pretty non-political place, but there are definitely a few people that after any interaction you have with them, you are left wondering how in the world they are employed. Looking in the direction of the People team. The layoffs were handled abysmally. There is no nice way to tell 120 people they don't have jobs anymore but when you compare how companies like Carta and Airbnb approached a similar situation, Greenhouse was basically a 2 day bloodbath, dumpster fire, fiasco. The whole thing felt sloppy and was handled with very little empathy, which is shocking when you consider the values Greenhouse espouses and seems to hold so dear. Instead of just doing it all in one fell swoop, the process took days, while everyone waited for a 1:1 meeting where a manager read them a script while someone from legal or the people team looked on. The separation paperwork that followed even had a clause in it saying that you can never apply to work at Greenhouse again, which if you are not being let go for performance reasons, adds insult to injury. The same goes for all the scripted LinkedIn spam that came from boilerplate templates. It felt forced and spammy and cultish, which is a shame but in some ways par for the course at Greenhouse.

14 people found this review helpful

CEO

First, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and perspective. Even (especially) when it's hard to hear, honest feedback is important to help us get better, and people always appreciate hearing from people who are, or have been, employees. Second I'm so sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with the layoff process. I can only imagine how painful and frustrating it must have felt to be let go through no fault of yours from a company and job that you believe it and care about. I truly feel for you and the rest of those we had to let go in this difficult decision. I agree to your point, there's no "happy" way to make this happen,. But having said that, it was super important to me, and our leadership team, to handle them with respect, empathy and dignity. The fact that so many people had a positive experience with it does not negate your experience or reaction. If anything it highlights the missed opportunity and resulting discomfort. As to the LinkedIn postings you saw, I was surprised to see them myself, as they were absolutely not part of anything coordinated by the company or people here. I know a great many of the people affected personally and I am confident that they have the integrity and pride to never post things that they would not stand behind 100%. Greenhouse has been standing behind our former employees and there have been efforts since then and continuing to this day to support and help them to get new jobs. Each time I see someone we laid off find their next job, I celebrate a bit and then immediately think how can we help the rest. On the positive end, I am super glad you are holding up our CMO as an example as I agree she is an amazing talent and member of our leadership. All the best to you - Daniel

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

I love Greenhouse!

Jan 17, 2020 - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

TLDR: I love my job and I love this company Company as a whole - Amazing culture: I've made 100 best friends and genuinely am happy to come to work every day - Great perks: Flexible PTO and WFH policy, great health insurance options (one of which is literally free,) ~yummy snacks~ - All employees are encouraged to contribute to the culture, and they do! We have a lot of things that start as fun slack channels for example fitness challenges or trivia that the EE team sees and gives you budget to make an event for the company! - We're doing well as a business, we crush our sales goals and hit product/feature releases on time. We've developed an entire culture around our brand that stems from really incredible values and trickles down to helping our customers embrace these same values that enable them to grow and succeed as businesses. Leadership - Our success trickles down from the incredible leaders we have. Dan and Jon are phenomenal individuals who are just as passionate about enabling their employees as they are about the products we produce. - Every department is different in terms of management and directors, so I can’t speak for all teams. That being said, I have an absolutely amazing Manager who enables me to be my best self at work and supports me in a way I’ve never experienced. - We’ve had a bumpy road to get to the point we’re at in terms of leadership on the AM team, and we’re not where we want to be yet. But where we’ve gotten to I’m really proud of and makes me even more excited for what’s in store for the future. The role itself - We do interesting work and what we do matters - I believe in the company and I know the impact my role has and feel that I’m fairly evaluated on the work that I do

Cons

Cons Every company, especially startups have cons. That being said, we collect surveys and host forums of communication to bring the things that *aren’t* working to light. From there, we use that feedback to facilitate transparent communication of our flaws to the entire business to enable discussion in terms of how we can improve. On that note, here are some of the things that we are working on:
 - Staying honest to the D E and I goals we’ve set for ourselves and encourage our customers to achieve - Some sales leadership transitions - Work life balance: We may be 400 people, but this is a start up, and I’m in sales. Sometimes that means the hours are long!

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Whoa ... what a fantastic review. So great to hear you're having such a positive experience here! Thanks for pointing out the work in progress as well. Folks looking to learn more about working at Greenhouse would be wise to understand not just the positives, but the full picture. Appreciate you taking a few minutes out of your busy day (I certainly know how hard our account managers work!) to share your perspectives. Folks really do value it.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee

GH is like a swan: serene at the surface, turbulent underneath

Jun 8, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great reputation, striving towards good values, great product

Cons

Where to begin. Stressed out management. Limited mobility despite reputation to the contrary. Recruiting department is in the spotlight and particularly unpleasant to work in. Clique-ey. Political. Inexperienced managers.

17 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective and your experiences. While we work hard to be a great place of work it's inevitable that we'll get things wrong from time to time. Sounds like in your case you had a rough experience with a number of areas including team, culture and career path. So sorry to hear that. I'm always looking to fix problems; it would greatly help me to learn more about the specific situation so that we can take targeted steps to address any issues. If you're open to it, please reach out to me personally and I'd love to have a confidential conversation to hear more details from you. In any event I absolutely agree with your advice to candidates - when interviewing here (or anywhere else). The interviews are by definition only a slice of the full picture. Anything a candidate can do to learn more and educate yourself about the job, team, role, company, etc. will only empower them to make better choices for themselves. Thanks!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good people, strong product organization

May 1, 2020 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are great to work with and collaboration is strong. Focus is on creating the best product for customers.

Cons

Older code base that has mixed architectures and patterns from over the years can make development difficult.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your contribution. I know people appreciate hearing the perspectives of employees about what it's like here at Greenhouse.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic Company with Leadership that really Cares

May 28, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- You feel supported and people want to see you grow and develop. - All of the department executives are great, thoughtful, smart and constantly willing to evolve as the company grows. The CTO in particular is one of the most genuine and empathetic department heads I have ever worked with. - Transparent org. Feedback is constantly requested and addressed. There's no sweeping anything under the rug to make people look good. Leadership genuinely wants to hear your opinions and acts them.

Cons

- The company is growing and we have all the normal pain points involved with that. However there's a lot of thoughtful intent as we continue to expand which makes me feel really hopeful for the future. - Pay bands are on the moderate side so if you're looking for a top of market salary you probably won't find it here.

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback, and for your supportive words about Greenhouse. Means a lot. Really helpful advice thanks for providing it. It is a continued focus of ours and at the same time, you only get so many bites at the apple (exec hires are rare, after all). But the long term trend in the exec team and board room will certainly be towards increased diversity and I thank you for reminding me that you care about it!

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lots of promise

May 27, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people if you stay out of the drama

Cons

They will say anything to make you sign that offer sheet, lots of promises were made and none were fulfilled. They are willing to take you in and spit you out to get what they need from you. Not a bad thing, just don't make promises.

3 people found this review helpful

CEO

So sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. I know our recruiters and hiring managers are super passionate when they connect with top talent but that should never translate into making promises we can't live up to. We try hard but I don't expect we're perfect. So, if you are able to, please reach out to me with any information about this, as I am committed to ensuring we treat candidates with honesty and respect. If we've said anything in the hiring process that we shouldn't be, I will see to it that we change. Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback and best wishes.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to learn

Jul 8, 2020 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

People overall are very smart.

Cons

You need to get promoted or you will become disgruntled

3 people found this review helpful

CEO

Hey thanks for taking a moment to share your perspective. "Great place to learn" is a wonderful headline and one that makes me very proud! As to your con - I take your point. Being an SDR is often seen as a stepping stone to other roles. I'm super proud that we've been able to promote so many of our SDRs over the years, into roles in sales, engineering, CS, management, and more! Having said that we can't always make it work for 100% of folks, so some do end up moving on for sure. Fair point. In any event thanks for your thoughtful response, I know people really value learning what it's "really like" from those who have been on the inside.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Lacking of senior management

May 27, 2020 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy and friendly people.

Cons

People are underpaid. No career trajectory beyond senior. Power dynamic can be weird some times.

4 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I know people reading this site appreciate hearing the perspectives of current employees.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best company I've worked for

Sep 30, 2019 - Customer Support Specialist in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Growing fast - Incredibly generous benefits - Remarkable people and culture

Cons

- Growing pains from high-growth - Starting pay bands feel a little low for the amount of work - Workload can feel intense, job is more technical than many other support roles.

8 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective & views. I'm really proud you're having such a positive experience. Interesting feedback on the Cons - thanks for sharing! The fist two I understand. The third ("more technical than many other support roles") I'm super curious about - would love to hear more. In any event I appreciate you writing up your notes - people really do value reading about what it's like here. Thanks!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Dedicated To People In Product & In House!

Aug 23, 2019 - DIRECTOR of ENTERPRISE MARKETING in Redwood City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing distributed working environment. Growing fast but making business decisions in a conservative way while managing customer expectations.

Cons

Growth means wearing a lot of hats and taking on a lot for every one of us but it feels great to be solving problems with dedicated people and leaders that built a product and an organization that prioritizes people.

4 people found this review helpful

CEO

Really smart write up of what it's like here. I definitely appreciate your "advice to management"... as we get into the end-of-year / next year planning, in line with our "Greenhouse NEXT" theme, it's going to be an increasingly important area of focus for us, to get better at setting goals (and not just financial ones!). Glad you're having such a positive experience here so far and thanks for all you've done to help contribute to our positive culture and growth!

Viewing 41 - 50 of 187 Reviews