Greenhouse Software Sales Reviews

Greenhouse Software CEO Daniel Chait
Daniel Chait
  1. 5.0

Great place to work.

Apr 12, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work and their Manager Team is very responsible.

Cons

Unless you are in a senior role, your voice is not heard

CEO

First of all thanks so much for taking the time to provide your perspectives, I know people appreciate it. Great to hear that overall you had a positive experience and recommend Greenhouse. Especially gratifying that you think GH is a great place to work and you had positive things to say about the managers here. I agree they're a strong group! And, thank you for your constructive feedback as well. We are growing super fast and with that growth, it can be a real challenge to make sure everyone's voice is heard. I'm sure that didn't feel great to be giving it your all and yet not fully feel like your views were landing. Whether it's our AMA's, survey's, small group meetings, or other channels, we are constantly looking for ways to improve communication and help every voice to be heard. We will keep at it!

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Hypocritical Culture: Talk a big game, but they don't walk the walk

Nov 25, 2020 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

- learned a lot - was successful - good product

Cons

Overall, I was very disappointed by Greenhouse. While I learned a lot for my career, I also learned that they make decisions that benefit leadership and don't look out for their employees. If you want to work for a company that is honest, dependable, principled, or accountable, do not work here. CONS: - poor leadership decisions. - poor sales team culture, not inclusive (despite advertising themselves as a DE&I leading company - in fact, there are many complaints internally about having a non-equitable culture). the sales team is much like a 'boys club' and very immature, even catty. - good performance is not rewarded, often promoting people who have missed quota many months or quarters in a row. - they talk about caring for employee happiness and good culture, but they don't follow through on promises. promotions are promised, then taken away. raises and bonuses promised and then not given. commission earned and not paid.

12 people found this review helpful

CEO

Ugh, so sorry to hear you had such a negative experience here. We truly strive for excellence in how we manage and treat people. We can't be perfect so I'm sure there are times when someone doesn't feel the organization lives up to our aspirations; nonetheless it's disappointing to hear about it and I'm sorry. Having said that, I view feedback as a gift and appreciate that you cared enough to take the time to provide it. In the spirit of trying to learn as much as I can, I went and researched our sales promotion numbers. From what I can see, I am not able to match your comment around promoting poor performers to the data I was reviewing. Our SDR org for example, is probably one of the more metrics-driven orgs -- in order to be eligible for a promotion, there are strict quota achievement requirements (including >90% attainment in trailing 3 months in the role). Of the AE's we've promoted over the past 2 years, only 1 had attainment less than 100% (and it was 92%) in the 3 mos prior to promotion. Etc, etc. So, I'll continue to keep an eye out for these dynamics but so far have not been able to find much evidence for them. Meanwhile I wish you the best and hope that future teams provide you with satisfaction and the ability to fulfill your potential.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work at

Feb 27, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

The amazing Inclusive and authentic culture

Cons

There are no cons from what I’ve seen

CEO

Wow thank you for the super kind note - great to hear! I really hope that Greenhouse is a place where everyone can do their best work and feels that they belong. Sounds like we hit the nail on the head for you in that regard. Fantastic! 💚

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Overall a very mediocre place to work

Feb 1, 2021 - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Team bonding and friendly managers

Cons

I just didn't enjoy working here. The people were nice and the office was okay, but it felt like you were constantly on the chopping block of a company that could not make ends meet. There were two massive layoffs when I worked here. Yikes. The overall vibe at Greenhouse was cordial but superficial. I would not recommend working here if you are motivated by working with people who lift up your ideas or management that celebrates creativity.

CEO

Thanks for the feedback and sorry to hear that your experience here was not what you hoped. We strive to be a place where everyone can do the best work of their career and feel as if they truly belong; clearly we were not able to deliver on that expectation for you. I sincerely hope you've been able to find a workplace that better supports you and meets your needs. One note for interested readers: we in fact did have one layoff, during April 2020, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting economic disruption. While of course extremely difficult for those affected by it, we felt it was necessary to take swift and significant action to ensure we could withstand the challenging economic circumstance. We did not have a second layoff.

5. 4.0

Good Company

Mar 26, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

They wanted you to grow as a individual

Cons

Work life Balance was not clear

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place To Work

Jan 25, 2021 - Sales Development Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great support from management whenever you need it

Cons

I don’t really have many cons with it

💚love to see it

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company and so proud to be a part of Greenhouse & its growth!

Oct 30, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Directors & managers really care about your professional development and will do whatever they can to help you reach your goals. You're expected to be the best and that just motivates you to always strive for continuous improvement.

Cons

Workload can be a lot but that's if you don't manage your time well

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Hey - thanks for the awesome writeup! I'm really happy that we're having such a positive impact on you. As an aside, I think the job of an SDR is incredibly hard and have massive respect for you being able to succeed in it. Keep at it! Our SDR team is so great -- I truly admire your motivation, effort, creativity and positive attitudes.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great company, hard times.

Apr 23, 2020 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hard to know where to begin, it's an extraordinary workplace in many ways. I'll try to list a few: 1. Customer-centric approach to every part of the business 2. Valuable product with a great market fit 3. Strong and human mission, especially for a B2B SaaS company 4. One of the most diverse and inclusive workplaces in tech 5. Exceptional executive support for employee-led initiatives 6. Empathetic, thoughtful and compassionate leadership 7. Collaborative teams focused on solving difficult problems 8. Fair pay and generous benefits 9. The list goes on. 10. If Greenhouse is hiring when you're reading this and you're on the fence about applying, you should definitely apply.

Cons

Full disclosure: I was let go as part of the recent round of layoffs due to the recession caused by covid. _________________________________________________________ There were some notable problems that persisted prior to the layoffs, none of which were surprising for a company at Greenhouse's stage. 1. Disjointed leadership team: No structure for communicating vision and goals across departments. Led to misalignment of initiatives and inefficiencies from duplicative work. 2. Unbalanced hierarchy: Some departments had VPs, some reported directly to CXOs, others didn't go above Director. This led to disproportionate advocacy and some teams being less represented than others in the decision making process. _________________________________________________________ In regards to the recent layoffs, I can't speak to the quality of decisions themselves since only time will tell, but I can speak to how they handled the process and communications. I know this was a painful decision for the company's leaders. They were admirably open, transparent, and fair throughout. The circumstances they were operating under were totally unprecedented, so great execution would not be a fair expectation. Since I know that Daniel, Jon, and other company leaders genuinely value feedback and accountability, I'll call out some specifics: 1. Not all transparency is good. Two weeks prior to layoffs, executives started publicly positing downsizing as part of the go-forward strategy without providing any other details. This led to mass panic and speculation, and not much else. The message was muddled with flat attempts to reassure the staff with lines like "we all have a job to do" and "focus on the business." Candidly, keeping us in the dark for longer would have been a smarter strategy for the company and a more helpful one for the employees. 2. Get the directors involved. It seems like the directors were left and the dark and didn't decide who to keep within their teams. This seems counter to the interests of the company because the people with the most knowledge about how to run their departments didn't get to reshape the teams which they now must run. 3. Have a clear decision criteria. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with the specific layoffs that were made. Still, letting directors define, execute and communicate a decision criteria that suits the needs of their team within the existing financial constraints would allow them to more readily defend the decisions to their remaining team, and would put the company in a better position to bounce back in the future. 4. Give people a way to connect and say bye. Hopefully no more layoffs will be needed, but if they are make sure you provide an infrastructure that allows people to connect. A formal alumni network or some additional time to talk to coworkers before our systems were disabled would have been greatly appreciated.

14 people found this review helpful

CEO

Wow thank you for such a thoughtful review. I know people will really appreciate the candid perspective and detailed take on your time with Greenhouse. First, let's start with the good stuff. As I read over the "pros" you list, I can't help but beam with happiness. I think you hit on so many important ways in which I strive to build Greenhouse. THANK YOU and I'm super proud that you had such a positive experience with us. Next, in reading over your "cons", advice, and thoughts as to how we undertook the COVID-19 related layoff, there is tons and tons of great wisdom in there. Supporting former and remaining employees both - is personally my #1. The execs and I are spending time every day helping to support alumni and the company is pulling together more and more resources and efforts around this. "Take this post in good faith" is probably my next #1! I really really value solid, constructive feedback such as this, given in a spirit of being helpful. Thank you. As well, you can see how some of the issues we grappled with sometimes have no "good" option . The transparency pre-layoff for example: do you leave people in the dark and thus shocked when it hits, or do you prepare them that it's coming before you have details, thus creating a period of anxiety? No "good" option - layoffs suck, period. I think we focused on what we could control - being as respectful and empathetic as possible to the people we had to lay off, working hard to limit layoffs by looking elsewhere for savings, and trying to put together as much into a post-layoff package to help take care of alumni. In sum thanks again for providing this level of transparency and insight - I know that people considering work at Greenhouse really do value and appreciate it. All the best - Daniel

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

The most caring group of coworkers

Apr 20, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people at Greenhouse are truly some of the most caring, genuine coworkers out there. Everyone really wants you to succeed, and even though I was in a sales role, there was very little competition felt between the sales reps. The team was very supportive, and they provided great training and continuous mentorship.

Cons

Very few cons I noticed while working there, and most would relate to my personal adjustment of taking on my first role in sales. The company just went through some major layoffs due to Covid-19, so there will probably be some new difficulties emerging in the coming months.

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective and thoughts - it really means a lot to me that you were able to have such a positive experience at Greenhouse during your time here. It's painful as heck that we had to cut some of our incredible staff during these times; though the virus has hit us all hard, I'm sure we'll bounce back. I really like especially that you highlighted the collaborative and supportive nature of our sales org - it's a big part of our "secret formula" for success and a very important value of ours. Thanks.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lots of promise

May 27, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people if you stay out of the drama

Cons

They will say anything to make you sign that offer sheet, lots of promises were made and none were fulfilled. They are willing to take you in and spit you out to get what they need from you. Not a bad thing, just don't make promises.

CEO

So sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. I know our recruiters and hiring managers are super passionate when they connect with top talent but that should never translate into making promises we can't live up to. We try hard but I don't expect we're perfect. So, if you are able to, please reach out to me with any information about this, as I am committed to ensuring we treat candidates with honesty and respect. If we've said anything in the hiring process that we shouldn't be, I will see to it that we change. Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback and best wishes.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews