Find jobs for Software Engineer

1. 5.0

Excellent people!

Feb 7, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer I in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- People are amazing - Great comp

Cons

- Product direction changes as we grow (typical growing pains)

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Wow what outstanding feedback! Thanks for sharing it, I know that people really value hearing about our company from those who work here. So glad to hear that the people are among your top reasons for rating us so highly - I agree! I am super proud to be part of this amazing team and committed to continuing to build a workplace where everyone can be their best. Thanks for being a part of that! 💚

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great Company

Feb 20, 2021 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers Pay career development remote working

Cons

Benefits culture being valued as a employee

Be the first to find this review helpful

Appreciate the feedback.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good people, strong product organization

May 1, 2020 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are great to work with and collaboration is strong. Focus is on creating the best product for customers.

Cons

Older code base that has mixed architectures and patterns from over the years can make development difficult.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your contribution. I know people appreciate hearing the perspectives of employees about what it's like here at Greenhouse.

4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Lacking of senior management

May 27, 2020 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy and friendly people.

Cons

People are underpaid. No career trajectory beyond senior. Power dynamic can be weird some times.

4 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for your feedback. I know people reading this site appreciate hearing the perspectives of current employees.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Jun 25, 2019 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong emphasis on continuous learning and career growth. Consistent manager meetings are a great resource for pinpointing your weaknesses, strengths, and discussion of your career path. Regular Lunch and Learn events are both well-arranged and well-attended. Moving across departments is not only possible; the Mentorship program helps interested employers learn to be application developers.

Cons

The company is growing fast and with that comes a lot of office logistic questions/issues. That being said, there is a lot of transparency regarding the subject during the monthly AMAs and through consistent communications from the People team.

CEO

Oy. Yes, for sure. Getting office / logistics right as a fast growing startup is one of the hardest things believe it or not. You just have a fundamental mismatch between the realities of a fast-changing org, and physical real estate / desks / etc. WeWork offers some flexibility in lease terms which has helped somewhat but, of course as we all know, comes with its own set of challenges to running a smooth office. Wish there was a better answer but I think the reality is that working at a startup, some level of office space "stuff' is just usually baked into the cake.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

The best company I've worked for by far

Apr 3, 2019 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is the most professional, respectful, fun, challenging and rewarding job I've ever had. Offering a lot of autonomy, but with guidance whenever I need it. Work life balance is second to none, I literally am in charge of my own time and it's great. The culture is awesome (and I love all of the clubs), people are so nice and welcoming,

Cons

Really can't think of any at the moment? Maybe the lack of 401k matching?

Continue reading

CEO

Wow that's awesome to hear. We set a high bar for ourselves and it's really gratifying to read about it when things are really clicking for folks here. THANKS for sharing!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best Job I've Had, Surrounded by Amazing People

Jun 2, 2017 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

You join Greenhouse not for the perks or anything (which aren’t half-bad) - but to be surrounded by people who, at the end of the day, you want to spend even more time with. Work itself is a lot more enjoyable when you’re working with, and are surrounded by, people who like and respect. Everyone here is hard working and dedicated to their job, as well as fun to hang out with! I can’t emphasize that enough. Additionally, the work is continuously interesting and challenging. There is perpetually an endless list of things to be done, and being on a team that is passionate and introspective/self-improving helps you accomplish and learn a ton. This type of work environment comes from the top. Our leadership really leads by example. The perks (unlimited PTO, snacks, fridge full of beer, etc) are great and all, and the work environment (great work/life balance, flexible work hours, high levels of trust and autonomy) don’t hurt - but the reasons above are why I’m still working here.

Cons

Being on the engineering team, at times I feel isolated from what's going on in other departments. The two-floor layout, being separated from many other teams, definitely contributes to that as well. But things like an in-office cornhole tournament, or our quarterly Fun Days (we take an afternoon and go do fun activities each quarter) help bridge that gap!

6 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for the comments. I love what you had to say about the reasons why you're here - totally resonates with me. I truly value those things as well and hope we can continue to maintain a strong culture as we grow - we certainly will keep trying, investing, and figuring out ways to get better and better.

8. 5.0

Best startup in NYC

May 25, 2016 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great product that customers love. Management seem to genuinely care about the employees. We are giving a lot of opportunity to voice our opinions and are involved in day-to-day decisions. We are given the tools we need to not only do our job well, but also build our own brand and grow our career.

Cons

Not all the advantages of working for a bigger company in terms of benefits.

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to contribute your feedback. Really great to hear that you feel your voice is heard, as you know that's been a big focus as we've grown and it's never perfect.

9. 5.0

Great place to work

Aug 9, 2018 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

colleague, manager, work / life balance, personal growth

Cons

I have been working at Greenhouse for almost 3 years and it is very hard to think about a negative experience. One con for me is that the benefits are not as good as companies like Facebook or Google. But I think it is a unfair comparison.

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Hey after three years if that's the only con I think we're doing allright! Thanks for being here all this time & here's to many more to-come!

10. 5.0

Great People, Great Company

Feb 19, 2017 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly people, thoughtful leadership, really cares about customers, great place to develop your skills

Cons

Struggling a little in maintaining the original company culture.

10 people found this review helpful

CEO

Hi - thanks so much for taking the time out to write up a review of your experience at Greenhouse. Glad to see you have positive things to say despite some growing pains. I think at any company that grows hugely, the culture will change somewhat - it's the nature of things and, truly, the way it ought to be. You shouldn't have the very same culture at 100 or 500 employees that you had at 10 or 50. The key I think is to continue to evolve it in a way that feels authentic, that continues to support the career and personal goals of our people, and that helps us build a successful company. It's HARD! I'm sure we'll get things wrong along the way, but we'll continue to care about it and try hard every day. Thanks again for choosing to work at Greenhouse and for sharing your perspective. I couldn't do this without you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews