Greenhouse Software Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Sep 30, 2019

4.4
Greenhouse Software CEO Daniel Chait
Daniel Chait
Pros
  • "Amazing benefits, perks, and work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• "Outstanding company culture that makes coming to work enjoyable(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Compensation is very good at Greenhouse(in 17 reviews)

• "Fast growth comes with growing pains(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Best company I've worked for

Sep 30, 2019 - Customer Support Specialist in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Growing fast - Incredibly generous benefits - Remarkable people and culture

Cons

- Growing pains from high-growth - Starting pay bands feel a little low for the amount of work - Workload can feel intense, job is more technical than many other support roles.

8 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective & views. I'm really proud you're having such a positive experience. Interesting feedback on the Cons - thanks for sharing! The fist two I understand. The third ("more technical than many other support roles") I'm super curious about - would love to hear more. In any event I appreciate you writing up your notes - people really do value reading about what it's like here. Thanks!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Greenhouse is a better company than most

Mar 26, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great group of people. Everyone is truly passionate about the work they do and really want to see each other and our customers succeed - Accessible leadership. Dan and Jon remain highly visible and accessible. I hope this continues as the company grows -Challenging work. You can't coast through your day here, but you can expect to be challenged and given the room to develop your unique style of work -Flexbiility. Most managers are supportive of different work styles, needs, and arrangements

Cons

-Fast growth comes with growing pains. Not sure if some of our mid-level management is truly equipped to support us as we grow at this rate - Not hiring fast enough for the needs of the business which causes workload and frustrations to trickle down to IC's -Lot's of survey's with some of the less than stellar survey feedback being swept under the rug. -Favoritism abound, but to be fair this exists at many orgs. So come prepared to "play the game"

CEO

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to provide your perspective and for the honest feedback - both positive and negative. It helps to hear areas where we can be improving - your note on staying close to IC's is a great one, I've just refreshed my skip-levels to ensure a regular rotation of 1-1 time for me with folks throughout the org. The blunt math is that as any org grows, I will be able to spend proportionally less 1-1 time with folks so the best I can do is sampling a variety of tools (some 1-1s. some surveys, some AMA's, etc). Hearing from folks like you in places like this is certainly one important avenue for feedback, so thanks! If you'd be so generous, I would greatly appreciate a private note letting me know one or two examples of survey results being swept under the rug -- I promise to thank you for the information and look into the situation! Best - Daniel

3. 5.0

A Rare Find - People Focused and Effective

Jun 13, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Greenhouse's products help companies hire and build great teams so you would hope they would live up to there own vision. I am happy to report it seems to be the case. The company and leaderships are very people focused and have assembled a team of smart, helpful, friendly professionals. There are women in leadership positions and it is becoming increasingly diverse while staying effective. I find the founders to be very accessible and human. You generally have the resources you need to do your job.

Cons

In early 2016, the company is still adjusting to growing from 45 to more than 200 staffers. There are growing pains as I would expect at any organization in this position. Communication is something that constantly needs to be worked on to keep the departments and various layers of management in sync. Sometime there are to many goals and too much going on.

3 people found this review helpful

CEO

I think that is outstanding advice that it helps to hear re-emphasized and repeated. As a founder/CEO of a growing company, even as I know how critical it is to keep pushing information and authority outwards, it's a constant challenge. I will keep trying! I've been checking out a series that LinkedIn published called "Conscious Business" which has provided me with some great inspiration and insights into how to do this better. Thanks so much for the feedback.

4. 5.0

Opportunity of a lifetime

May 13, 2016 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people that work at Greenhouse will always be the first "pro" that I mention. From the early stages of the company, a team of hard-working, intelligent people were assembled which set the standard early. Greenhouse has successfully maintained that caliber of employee even after coming off a year where about 150 hires were made. I could go into the classic perks that go along with working at a SaaS startup, but if that is what attracts you to GH then you should work elsewhere. Everybody here works tirelessly to be the best as there is a healthy balance of individual performance and operating as a team. The people that push you and help you reach that next goal of yours is the difference maker.

Cons

The only "con" in my time at GH would be the growing pains that came along with the hyper-growth we experienced. Things like moving offices, adjusting workflows were successfully completed, but could have been done a lot better. But hey, it was the first time!

3 people found this review helpful

CEO

Hey - Thanks for taking the time to share your experience! Yup, sounds like a pretty spot-on description of life at GH these days... rewarding, great people, with a dash of growing pains. Great advice!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to learn, great team to learn from

Jun 15, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Greenhouse with most of my prior experience being in either pretty formal or really large work environments. I was looking for something fast paced, with a lot of learning opportunities, where I could have a material impact and work with people I would like and could learn from. Greenhouse has met and exceeded all of my expectations. I'm working across teams, iterating quickly, and being supported to grow and learn new things. It's a very authentic and smart work environment. I ultimately chose to accept the offer because I truly felt that the interview experience had been one of the most honest and thoughtful I'd ever gone through, and I liked that I had had the freedom to really be myself in the interviews and express what I thought I would like and wouldn't like about the role, and how my experience matched the role's needs and where I would be stretching my skills. My instinct of "well, if the interviews felt that honest but solid, I think the job will be great" has played out so far.

Cons

Just some standard high-growth start-up growing pains, like how quickly we've outgrown our current office space.

CEO

Glad to hear you had such a positive experience interviewing! Obviously it's a big emphasis of ours, but nice to see that it makes a difference. Thanks for bringing the perspective of a candidate to this discussion.

6. 5.0

Proud to work at Greenhouse

Jul 7, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing leadership, great product, and some of the smartest people I've ever had the privilege of working with. Every day provides new and exciting challenges, and the world of talent acquisition is fascinating. You're given trust and support from day one. New ideas are always welcome, the entire organization works across teams, there are no silos. Great culture and team dynamic -- I love coming to work each day, for the work itself, the people, and the overall mission of our product.

Cons

I can't think of many explicit cons. Long hours are really more of a choice than anything else -- folks work hard because they love what they're doing and the product/customers they support. There is incredible work/life balance as well, so I suppose I don't see it as much of a con. Greenhouse is in hyper-growth and growing fast, so there are some general growing pains. It's nothing major, and frankly I find it super exciting to watch the team grow!

CEO

Thanks a ton for the positive comments, really awesome to hear that you've had such a positive experience. I hear you on the hyper-growth. It's quite exciting to go through but yes, it comes with its own set of unique and fun challenges (bathroom lines! the fridge running out of cold cuts!) but we'll soldier on. If you do come across ways we could improve or just ever have questions about your career, the work, etc. don't be shy - just grab me or one of the People team. More than happy to talk things over! - Daniel

7. 5.0

The Real Deal.

May 20, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

1) This is a place where you can grow your career. The company recruits people from various industries and backgrounds. I always feel like I can learn from anyone here. 2) The leadership team is experienced and thoughtful. They are honest about what's working and what isn't, and they empower everyone to help fix what isn't. 3) Every team sets a high bar for themselves and their work. These are driven people. 4) This is a people-focused company, and the team here truly aspires to be leaders in their space.

Cons

1) The company is growing quickly, so there are a few growing pains. If you're not a person who can get your hands dirty to build something great, this might not be your cup of tea.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Great write up, very helpful to see the various facets of how you think about work life here @ Greenhouse. Oh, and I'll follow your advice!

8. 5.0

Greenhouse values people

Aug 15, 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Never have I worked at a job where I felt so valued as a person and that the contributions I make to the company are actually recognized and appreciated. The people that work here are warm and friendly and genuinely want to do good work.

Cons

There have been some growing pains - the company has gone from 8 to 200 people in just a few short years so there are some processes, like performance management that are still being worked out. The office itself is lovely but is sometimes a little loud which can make it hard to concentrate.

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about working at Greenhouse! Regarding your advice: +1 on the first part for sure! On the second part, we're actually bringing in a new food vendor to overhaul our food program (it was in the office newsletter last week) - stay tuned!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It doesn't get better than this

Oct 21, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am so so incredibly happy at Greenhouse and can't imagine going anywhere else because: 1. The leadership is extraordinary, even if I hated my job I think I would stay just for Dan and Jon (our founders). 2. I love the people I work with, so much so that I look forward to going to work in the morning no matter what's in store for the day. They push me to be better every day, I push myself to not let them down. We are constantly making time to support each other and give help where it's needed. I honestly can't talk about how amazing things are with people outside of Greenhouse too much because I don't want to make them feel bad about their own workplace. 3. I know without a doubt that I am a valued part of the company, I know that the people I work for are invested in my success, I know that my team and mangers will have my back and go to bat for me, I know that I will grow more here than anywhere else, I know the company is heading for great things and I feel so lucky to be a part of it.

Cons

Most of the regular cons associated with working for a startup are dealt with proactively - management is well aware of the stress that comes with constant change, growing pains, uncertainty, and a fast-paced environment, so they do everything in their power to give us full visibility into what's coming down the line, listen to our feedback on how things are working, and give us the chance to take action where we want to see change. Not really a con I guess..sorry...

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Well, thank you! What a great note, thanks for taking time out to write up your thoughts.

10. 5.0

Overall Great Place

May 4, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great product with a clear vision from leadership - Great co-workers: smart, driven, passionate and fun - Smart and thoughtful decision making in a transparent environment - Flexible vacation days - Great office location

Cons

- There are growing pains around rapid change within a fast growing company, but the transparency into decision making from leadership helps to keep the team in the know and prepared for the changes. - No 401k matching

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for the note - really happy to hear the positive things you have to say about the company and thanks for taking the time to comment. It's very very helpful!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews