Cover image for Greenhouse Software

Greenhouse Software

Engaged Employer

Greenhouse Software

Add a Review

Greenhouse Software Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 30, 2021

4.7
Greenhouse Software CEO Daniel Chait
Daniel Chait

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Daniel and Jon are two great people to get behind and they compensate very well for great talent.(in 49 reviews)
  • "Culture is great(in 27 reviews)
  • "Greenhouse is the rare great job with strong leadership and fantastic peers.(in 20 reviews)
  • "I've never seen so many people drop whatever they're doing to help someone from a different team.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Everyone is friendly and willing to help.(in 11 reviews)
Cons
  • "No 401k matching(in 5 reviews)
  • "The commonly cited con on Glassdoor — no 401k match — was just remedied today as they announced this benefit starting in July 2022!(in 4 reviews)
  • "There were two massive layoffs when I worked here.(in 4 reviews)
  • "The recent COVID impact reduced our available office space, but I can understand why the decision was made.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Greenhouse Software and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing Company!

Jul 30, 2021 - Support Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits and a company that truly cares for its employees. Taking time off is encouraged, the company just really seems to care about its employees having a good work life balance. There's a strong sense of belonging and everyone is so friendly. Overall just a really great company to work for!

Cons

No cons that I can think of at this time!

4 people found this review helpful

CEO

Well that's just lovely to hear. Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective as I know it's valued by lots of folks. Really really glad you're having such a positive experience here.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Good Company

Mar 26, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

They wanted you to grow as a individual

Cons

Work life Balance was not clear

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We read all of it and try to make sure we can use it to improve. Work-life balance is a challenge at a company growing as fast, and with as much ambition, as Greenhouse. I appreciate you pointing it out and we'll continue to work on it.

3. Join the Greenhouse Software team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Thoughtful leadership and good core mission

Mar 8, 2021 - Data Scientist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture, flexibility to make sure employees have a good work/life balance, good vision, and mission

Cons

Risk aversion. Greenhouse can be slow to move in new directions including how the business operates as we scale.

CEO

First of all thank you for your thoughtful feedback and for taking the time to share it. I appreciate it as I know others do. Sounds like you're having a positive experience overall, which is great. As to your comments about risk aversion, I appreciate that point greatly! I don't totally disagree; in many ways we are more deliberate than other organizations. It can have its downsides for sure, but I like to think that we are keeping the long term perspective and trying not to rush into decisions sometimes. In any event it's genuinely useful to me to hear this feedback and I will certainly take it into account as best I can!

5. 5.0

Awesome!

Feb 16, 2021 - Customer Support Specialist in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Diverse, Inclusive, Great work/life balance

Cons

Compensation could be a bit better.

Wow! Short and to the point, I like it 💚

6. 3.0

Pros and Cons

Feb 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great product, definitely the best in the market Great people, truly amazing employees Great founders, they're good guys Good work life balance, for a startup Good benefits, medical, dental vision, PTO, etc - all solid

Cons

Salaries are fair at best, nothing special, no 401k match Leadership is mixed, some executives are really experienced, others are really under-qualified Confusing HR policies, nothing egregious, just always tends to be confusing, unclear, not well thought-out Some teams are a little clicky, again not egregious, just not a great experience for everyone

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. I know people appreciate hearing real perspectives from employees on the inside so I'm grateful that you took the time to provide it and to spell out where you think Greenhouse is not only great but how we could improve.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company, on the verge of greatness

Jan 20, 2021 - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Great clients 2. Amazing benefits, perks, and work/life balance 3. Quality solution that does good in the world

Cons

1. lacking long term product vision 2. Culture at times doesn't feel geared towards action, lots of encouraging others to do the work or encouraging you to look at content on an internal wiki 3. Don't know where the company is going....is it acquisition, ipo, or other?

CEO

First of all thank you for investing the time to write such a thoughtful and thorough review. I know people value and appreciate hearing from actual employees. Second, I hear you on the need to continually improve how we think about and communicate our long term visions (whether around product or overall company direction) and hopefully with recent all hands improvements, our new internal comms, and other efforts, you have seen some traction there. It will always be a work in progress, and helps to hear this feedback so I can know to continue focusing on it. As to the bias for action comment - I totally empathize! I, too, get frustrated when I can't get stuff done quick enough, struggle to drive cross-functional teams to line up, etc. Part of it is probably endemic to fast-growth startups where everyone has a million things to do. But no doubt there are actions by the other leaders and me, aspects of our culture, processes, etc we can look at which are holding us back. Fair feedback and appreciated. All in all seems like you're having a positive experience with us which I'm really happy about!

8. 3.0
    Current Employee

Company's actions don't match words. Product is ok with mediocrity

Sep 14, 2020 - R& D in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people Trust and autonomy in teams Good work life balance

Cons

In the years I've worked here, the product has been slow to adapt and resistant to improving. Leadership is afraid of slowing down to change for the better and as a result, the product has only grown more haphazard. Like a previous reviewer said, new products and feature improvements feel hacky. Aside from product, within R&D, there's an exclusionary power dynamic. Leadership's words about diversity and accountability are just words. Relies on performative measures instead of committing to real change. Primarily listens to people who have drank the Greenhouse Kool-aid as a way to measure how well they're doing and discounts the rest.

16 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write up your feedback. I know people truly do appreciate it! I'm obviously disappointed to hear that you have been thinking the product trajectory is slow and the direction are off track. I know product decisions are complex and almost all of them involve major trade-offs. Surely we have made product choices that could be better (and/or optimized for different priorities) but overall the data I see indicate that our customers are increasingly happy, we are more competitive in the market, and we are having more impact within our customers as a whole. But those are all areas where no doubt there are many perspectives and choices. More concerning are your comments around our culture and values. It's obviously upsetting to see that we've let you down, given that belonging is a core value and something I care deeply about. I know our leadership team works hard to create a culture of inclusion and belonging. For example, in a recent internal survey we discovered that as the company has grown, people increasingly feel like they lack clarity on how decisions are made at the company. The result is that some folks feel disempowered, or that there must be some secret group making decisions without them! In reality it points to a need for us to be clearer in how decisions get made, including what role everyone can play in them, what factors go into each decision, how they are communicated, etc. All pretty normal growing pains stuff at a fast-growing tech company but nonetheless it can feel dispiriting as an employee. Because of this, we are putting in place much clearer decision-making frameworks company-wide which will allow everyone to see what's happening and feel much better about how things work. I point that example out not to say we've fixed everything (or are about to). But rather, to illustrate that we'll always keep working to build and reinforce a strong culture where everyone can bring their whole self to work, and people feel valued and heard.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Transparent, supportive, they really care about their employees

Jun 10, 2020 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome culture, transparent and supportive leadership, lots of room to work on projects you care about -- great work/life balance.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write about and share your experiences. To your point, due to COVID we had to make the call and reduce our office space due to so many people being unable to even come in to the office. Following local guidelines and health regulations as well as concerns for employees health leaves us no other choice -- but 100% recognize that it comes with a real cost. To community, togetherness, efficiency, etc. For many folks, work-from-home is less than optimal. We've taken a few steps to try and ease it but no doubt it's a hardship for some. Thanks for your understanding and empathy on this. So glad to hear that you're seeing such positive impact from the leadership and managers! We'll keep working hard to make Greenhouse a great place to work.

10. 5.0

I love Greenhouse!

Jan 17, 2020 - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

TLDR: I love my job and I love this company Company as a whole - Amazing culture: I've made 100 best friends and genuinely am happy to come to work every day - Great perks: Flexible PTO and WFH policy, great health insurance options (one of which is literally free,) ~yummy snacks~ - All employees are encouraged to contribute to the culture, and they do! We have a lot of things that start as fun slack channels for example fitness challenges or trivia that the EE team sees and gives you budget to make an event for the company! - We're doing well as a business, we crush our sales goals and hit product/feature releases on time. We've developed an entire culture around our brand that stems from really incredible values and trickles down to helping our customers embrace these same values that enable them to grow and succeed as businesses. Leadership - Our success trickles down from the incredible leaders we have. Dan and Jon are phenomenal individuals who are just as passionate about enabling their employees as they are about the products we produce. - Every department is different in terms of management and directors, so I can’t speak for all teams. That being said, I have an absolutely amazing Manager who enables me to be my best self at work and supports me in a way I’ve never experienced. - We’ve had a bumpy road to get to the point we’re at in terms of leadership on the AM team, and we’re not where we want to be yet. But where we’ve gotten to I’m really proud of and makes me even more excited for what’s in store for the future. The role itself - We do interesting work and what we do matters - I believe in the company and I know the impact my role has and feel that I’m fairly evaluated on the work that I do

Cons

Cons Every company, especially startups have cons. That being said, we collect surveys and host forums of communication to bring the things that *aren’t* working to light. From there, we use that feedback to facilitate transparent communication of our flaws to the entire business to enable discussion in terms of how we can improve. On that note, here are some of the things that we are working on:
 - Staying honest to the D E and I goals we’ve set for ourselves and encourage our customers to achieve - Some sales leadership transitions - Work life balance: We may be 400 people, but this is a start up, and I’m in sales. Sometimes that means the hours are long!

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Whoa ... what a fantastic review. So great to hear you're having such a positive experience here! Thanks for pointing out the work in progress as well. Folks looking to learn more about working at Greenhouse would be wise to understand not just the positives, but the full picture. Appreciate you taking a few minutes out of your busy day (I certainly know how hard our account managers work!) to share your perspectives. Folks really do value it.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

The best company I've worked for by far

Apr 3, 2019 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is the most professional, respectful, fun, challenging and rewarding job I've ever had. Offering a lot of autonomy, but with guidance whenever I need it. Work life balance is second to none, I literally am in charge of my own time and it's great. The culture is awesome (and I love all of the clubs), people are so nice and welcoming,

Cons

Really can't think of any at the moment? Maybe the lack of 401k matching?

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful

CEO

Wow that's awesome to hear. We set a high bar for ourselves and it's really gratifying to read about it when things are really clicking for folks here. THANKS for sharing!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews