Greenhouse Software Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 20, 2021

4.4
Greenhouse Software CEO Daniel Chait
Daniel Chait
Pros
  • "Amazing benefits, perks, and work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• "Outstanding company culture that makes coming to work enjoyable(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Compensation is very good at Greenhouse(in 17 reviews)

• "Fast growth comes with growing pains(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Transparent, supportive, they really care about their employees

Jun 10, 2020 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome culture, transparent and supportive leadership, lots of room to work on projects you care about -- great work/life balance.

Cons

The recent COVID impact reduced our available office space, but I can understand why the decision was made.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write about and share your experiences. To your point, due to COVID we had to make the call and reduce our office space due to so many people being unable to even come in to the office. Following local guidelines and health regulations as well as concerns for employees health leaves us no other choice -- but 100% recognize that it comes with a real cost. To community, togetherness, efficiency, etc. For many folks, work-from-home is less than optimal. We've taken a few steps to try and ease it but no doubt it's a hardship for some. Thanks for your understanding and empathy on this. So glad to hear that you're seeing such positive impact from the leadership and managers! We'll keep working hard to make Greenhouse a great place to work.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company, on the verge of greatness

Jan 20, 2021 - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Great clients 2. Amazing benefits, perks, and work/life balance 3. Quality solution that does good in the world

Cons

1. lacking long term product vision 2. Culture at times doesn't feel geared towards action, lots of encouraging others to do the work or encouraging you to look at content on an internal wiki 3. Don't know where the company is going....is it acquisition, ipo, or other?

Be the first to find this review helpful

CEO

First of all thank you for investing the time to write such a thoughtful and thorough review. I know people value and appreciate hearing from actual employees. Second, I hear you on the need to continually improve how we think about and communicate our long term visions (whether around product or overall company direction) and hopefully with recent all hands improvements, our new internal comms, and other efforts, you have seen some traction there. It will always be a work in progress, and helps to hear this feedback so I can know to continue focusing on it. As to the bias for action comment - I totally empathize! I, too, get frustrated when I can't get stuff done quick enough, struggle to drive cross-functional teams to line up, etc. Part of it is probably endemic to fast-growth startups where everyone has a million things to do. But no doubt there are actions by the other leaders and me, aspects of our culture, processes, etc we can look at which are holding us back. Fair feedback and appreciated. All in all seems like you're having a positive experience with us which I'm really happy about!

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Company's actions don't match words. Product is ok with mediocrity

Sep 14, 2020 - R& D in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people Trust and autonomy in teams Good work life balance

Cons

In the years I've worked here, the product has been slow to adapt and resistant to improving. Leadership is afraid of slowing down to change for the better and as a result, the product has only grown more haphazard. Like a previous reviewer said, new products and feature improvements feel hacky. Aside from product, within R&D, there's an exclusionary power dynamic. Leadership's words about diversity and accountability are just words. Relies on performative measures instead of committing to real change. Primarily listens to people who have drank the Greenhouse Kool-aid as a way to measure how well they're doing and discounts the rest.

14 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write up your feedback. I know people truly do appreciate it! I'm obviously disappointed to hear that you have been thinking the product trajectory is slow and the direction are off track. I know product decisions are complex and almost all of them involve major trade-offs. Surely we have made product choices that could be better (and/or optimized for different priorities) but overall the data I see indicate that our customers are increasingly happy, we are more competitive in the market, and we are having more impact within our customers as a whole. But those are all areas where no doubt there are many perspectives and choices. More concerning are your comments around our culture and values. It's obviously upsetting to see that we've let you down, given that belonging is a core value and something I care deeply about. I know our leadership team works hard to create a culture of inclusion and belonging. For example, in a recent internal survey we discovered that as the company has grown, people increasingly feel like they lack clarity on how decisions are made at the company. The result is that some folks feel disempowered, or that there must be some secret group making decisions without them! In reality it points to a need for us to be clearer in how decisions get made, including what role everyone can play in them, what factors go into each decision, how they are communicated, etc. All pretty normal growing pains stuff at a fast-growing tech company but nonetheless it can feel dispiriting as an employee. Because of this, we are putting in place much clearer decision-making frameworks company-wide which will allow everyone to see what's happening and feel much better about how things work. I point that example out not to say we've fixed everything (or are about to). But rather, to illustrate that we'll always keep working to build and reinforce a strong culture where everyone can bring their whole self to work, and people feel valued and heard.

4. 5.0

I love Greenhouse!

Jan 17, 2020 - Account Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

TLDR: I love my job and I love this company Company as a whole - Amazing culture: I've made 100 best friends and genuinely am happy to come to work every day - Great perks: Flexible PTO and WFH policy, great health insurance options (one of which is literally free,) ~yummy snacks~ - All employees are encouraged to contribute to the culture, and they do! We have a lot of things that start as fun slack channels for example fitness challenges or trivia that the EE team sees and gives you budget to make an event for the company! - We're doing well as a business, we crush our sales goals and hit product/feature releases on time. We've developed an entire culture around our brand that stems from really incredible values and trickles down to helping our customers embrace these same values that enable them to grow and succeed as businesses. Leadership - Our success trickles down from the incredible leaders we have. Dan and Jon are phenomenal individuals who are just as passionate about enabling their employees as they are about the products we produce. - Every department is different in terms of management and directors, so I can’t speak for all teams. That being said, I have an absolutely amazing Manager who enables me to be my best self at work and supports me in a way I’ve never experienced. - We’ve had a bumpy road to get to the point we’re at in terms of leadership on the AM team, and we’re not where we want to be yet. But where we’ve gotten to I’m really proud of and makes me even more excited for what’s in store for the future. The role itself - We do interesting work and what we do matters - I believe in the company and I know the impact my role has and feel that I’m fairly evaluated on the work that I do

Cons

Cons Every company, especially startups have cons. That being said, we collect surveys and host forums of communication to bring the things that *aren’t* working to light. From there, we use that feedback to facilitate transparent communication of our flaws to the entire business to enable discussion in terms of how we can improve. On that note, here are some of the things that we are working on:
 - Staying honest to the D E and I goals we’ve set for ourselves and encourage our customers to achieve - Some sales leadership transitions - Work life balance: We may be 400 people, but this is a start up, and I’m in sales. Sometimes that means the hours are long!

5 people found this review helpful

CEO

Whoa ... what a fantastic review. So great to hear you're having such a positive experience here! Thanks for pointing out the work in progress as well. Folks looking to learn more about working at Greenhouse would be wise to understand not just the positives, but the full picture. Appreciate you taking a few minutes out of your busy day (I certainly know how hard our account managers work!) to share your perspectives. Folks really do value it.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

The best company I've worked for by far

Apr 3, 2019 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is the most professional, respectful, fun, challenging and rewarding job I've ever had. Offering a lot of autonomy, but with guidance whenever I need it. Work life balance is second to none, I literally am in charge of my own time and it's great. The culture is awesome (and I love all of the clubs), people are so nice and welcoming,

Cons

Really can't think of any at the moment? Maybe the lack of 401k matching?

3 people found this review helpful

CEO

Wow that's awesome to hear. We set a high bar for ourselves and it's really gratifying to read about it when things are really clicking for folks here. THANKS for sharing!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Be your best self at Greenhouse

Apr 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working at Greenhouse! Here are a few of the best parts: - It is a place where you can truly be yourself at work and feel valued for your uniqueness and what you bring to the table. - Autonomy and managers who trust you to get your work done (no micromanagement). - There is really great work/life balance and you never have to feel guilty about working from home or taking some time away from the office. - There are opportunities for advancement and to move around the company if you have aspirations outside of the department that you were hired into. - The people here are really smart and just genuinely nice, good people.

Cons

- You have to be really adaptable and comfortable with change because we are ever growing and evolving as we mature as a company. There are some processes that are put into place, poorly communicated and then changed the next day. It can be frustrating - but just part of working at a start-up! - Communication is not always great when it comes to new hires, promotions, people leaving the team, and other organizational changes. Sometimes it feels like only certain people on the team are privy to this information while some others are not. - The experience with managers seems to vary dramatically based on department. Some managers are very experienced while others have no experience. It is unfortunate if you are stuck with someone who does not know how to develop a team.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Wow what a thoughtful write up. Thank you for taking the time to share your views and experiences here, it's super helpful. Everything you say rings true. The strengths we have here are great, and stuff that people really resonate with; while at the same time, we (like any startup) face challenges of growth and just being a startup, which show up in the ways you describe. I believe in continual improvement so we'll keep plugging away to make it better. And thank you for having the faith in the company and dedication to your team to keep helping us do that! Onwards...

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best Job I've Had, Surrounded by Amazing People

Jun 2, 2017 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

You join Greenhouse not for the perks or anything (which aren’t half-bad) - but to be surrounded by people who, at the end of the day, you want to spend even more time with. Work itself is a lot more enjoyable when you’re working with, and are surrounded by, people who like and respect. Everyone here is hard working and dedicated to their job, as well as fun to hang out with! I can’t emphasize that enough. Additionally, the work is continuously interesting and challenging. There is perpetually an endless list of things to be done, and being on a team that is passionate and introspective/self-improving helps you accomplish and learn a ton. This type of work environment comes from the top. Our leadership really leads by example. The perks (unlimited PTO, snacks, fridge full of beer, etc) are great and all, and the work environment (great work/life balance, flexible work hours, high levels of trust and autonomy) don’t hurt - but the reasons above are why I’m still working here.

Cons

Being on the engineering team, at times I feel isolated from what's going on in other departments. The two-floor layout, being separated from many other teams, definitely contributes to that as well. But things like an in-office cornhole tournament, or our quarterly Fun Days (we take an afternoon and go do fun activities each quarter) help bridge that gap!

6 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for the comments. I love what you had to say about the reasons why you're here - totally resonates with me. I truly value those things as well and hope we can continue to maintain a strong culture as we grow - we certainly will keep trying, investing, and figuring out ways to get better and better.

8. 5.0

Solid place to work – I definitely recommend it

Sep 13, 2016 -  in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Greenhouse's products promote better people practices, and as a company, it does the same with its employees. The leadership team is thoughtful about how strategic decisions affect all employees, and it's easy to feel valued as an employee, no matter what your seniority is. It might be a simple thing to focus on, but when you feel valued, you feel good about working, and you do good work. All-around, Greenhouse is a successful company with a positive outlook, and a solid employer. If I had to rate specific areas (e.g. challenge of work, career opportunities, company culture, management, work/life balance, compensation and benefits etc.), I would probably give everything a 4.5 / 5.

Cons

Can the work/life balance be too good? Sometimes it feels like there is a sharp divide between work and life, and that employees come to work to put in time to get the work done, and then go home without a lot of interaction with other employees. At worst, this can give the feeling that employees are here just to work, and nothing else. Also, flexible working schedules and work from home are well-supported, and sometimes that leaves offices feeling quite empty; this is compounded by the fact that both NY and SF recently moved to larger office locations that we can grow into over the next few years.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Good insights. I think you've pointed out a universal truth of startups which is that everything has tradeoffs! Flexible remote work? Great idea! But means the office can feel empty. I wish there was a perfect solution to this and the many other dilemmas we face but alas, all we can do is try to have better problems every day than the day before :-)

9. 5.0

Proud to work at Greenhouse

Jul 7, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing leadership, great product, and some of the smartest people I've ever had the privilege of working with. Every day provides new and exciting challenges, and the world of talent acquisition is fascinating. You're given trust and support from day one. New ideas are always welcome, the entire organization works across teams, there are no silos. Great culture and team dynamic -- I love coming to work each day, for the work itself, the people, and the overall mission of our product.

Cons

I can't think of many explicit cons. Long hours are really more of a choice than anything else -- folks work hard because they love what they're doing and the product/customers they support. There is incredible work/life balance as well, so I suppose I don't see it as much of a con. Greenhouse is in hyper-growth and growing fast, so there are some general growing pains. It's nothing major, and frankly I find it super exciting to watch the team grow!

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks a ton for the positive comments, really awesome to hear that you've had such a positive experience. I hear you on the hyper-growth. It's quite exciting to go through but yes, it comes with its own set of unique and fun challenges (bathroom lines! the fridge running out of cold cuts!) but we'll soldier on. If you do come across ways we could improve or just ever have questions about your career, the work, etc. don't be shy - just grab me or one of the People team. More than happy to talk things over! - Daniel

10. 5.0

SDR

Dec 9, 2016 - Sales Development Representative in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Greenhouse is hands down the best company I have ever worked for and truly embodies everything I would want in a company. The people here are not only fun, welcoming, helpful, and team oriented- but are also extremely bright individuals who have an understanding of both independent and team/company success. Everyone encourages each other to be the best employee you can be. Our CEO is amazing and trustworthy. I have never experienced a company with so much transparency, collaboration, and where my voice actually matters. It's also a fun, vibrant work environment where there is a great understanding of work life balance.

Cons

We are a startup so changing of management is often frequent so this can be a bit difficult but our higher ups handle the change well and provide outlets where necessary to discuss

8 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your perspective, and for the kind words about Greenhouse. Nice to hear.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 Reviews