Greenlee Tools "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Greenlee Tools Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 4, 2019

3.4
Greenlee Tools CEO Paul McAndrew (no image)
Paul McAndrew
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management is completely out of touch with departments(in 8 reviews)

• "High turnover with young employees (Chicago, IL is so close and a much better city)(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Stressful, but with opportunities to grow and advance professionally"

I worked at Greenlee Tools full-time

Pros

Compensation, if compared to industry average in IL; opportunities for growth and movement vertically and horizontally; access to career opportunities with other Textron subsidiaries; mostly friendly people with cooperative mindset

Cons

Location: Rockford is not a thriving place and lacks everything that is needed to attract young and striving talent; while some departments are over-staffed and clearly can take advantage of flexible hours, trainings, online participation / suggestions and the networking necessary to become visible within the company, other departments are utterly understaffed, employees are burned out, changes in direction and... staff are frequent (it seems people can't stay too long before wanting to get out of there!)... all that amongst little support from upper management.

Advice to Management

Imbalance of employees' satisfaction among departments reflects the good or bad management of resources and talent by upper staff. There have been some good initiatives to give voice to employees, but hey, people who are extremely overworked do not have time to spare with "cutsy" ideas. What about paying attention to the obvious signs and leveling the playing field so people from all departments can be successful... in their roles?

Greenlee Tools2014-06-19
  2. "Disorganized Culture"

I have been working at Greenlee Tools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong products and known brand. Now part of Emerson family - better fit for growth now then when under Textron.

Cons

Lacking Diversity - Caucasian Males dominate upper management. No collaboration - too departmentalized.

Greenlee Tools2019-01-04
  3. "Business Development Program"

Current Employee - Business Development Program in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Greenlee Tools full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been with Greenlee for almost months now in a rotational program. Great starting and ending salary for the program. Promised experience in other fields of the department that include warehouse visits, trade-shows and shadowing of different departments.

Cons

Upper management has extremely poor communication. They are many restrictions on the young professionals seeking experiences in their first rotation. It feels more like being a full time CSR than it does a rotational program. Feedback is asked and received but rarely ever acted on. The training was extremely too long and seemingly noneffective. Resources are limited in continuous training and managers are more... focused on their performance numbers versus feeding energy into their newly hired grad. students and motivated employees. The department in the first 12 month rotation drains the ambition, enthusiasm and motivation to seek new opportunities and ultimately kills the interest to want to continue the remainder of the program.

Advice to Management

Make sure training resources are up to date and readily available. Verbally motivate and recognize your employees for all they do in other ways than email. Use physical meetings as formal sources of communication versus a plethora of emails when important changes that affect the daily operations take place. Be receptive to change when it renders positive feedback from the staff.

Greenlee Tools2016-12-28

"Great Coworkers, Poor Management, Bad Policies"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Vista, CA

I have been working at Greenlee Tools full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Easy to take on responsibility - Many opportunities to learn - Wonderful coworkers - Good corporate perks

Cons

- Upper management is completely out of touch with departments - Unrealistic deadlines - Lack of resources needed to complete goals - Unequal distribution of work - Inability to retain talent - Overbearing Bureaucracy - The company is a 2 year revolving door primarily because there is no opportunity for promotion, all departments are over worked, all departments are roughly in the 30% pay percentile for the... area, raises/bonus are not a direct reflection of performance and department bias to programs is extremely prevalent.

Advice to Management

None competitive salaries, zero promotion opportunities, overbearing bureaucracy and an antiquated performance evaluation system make the company a revolving door.

Greenlee Tools2016-12-21

"High Turnover"

I worked at Greenlee Tools full-time

Pros

Great entry-level salary, good benefits, trying to hire many more young people, close to nearby fun cities (Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago), baptism by fire but at the end of the day some awesome hands-on experience.

Cons

Upper management never seems to be on the same page and often takes too long to come to a consensus, Rockford sucks (need to look into what neighborhoods are safe before moving), not a great work life balance, tons of turnover (majority are people 35 and under that are leaving)

Advice to Management

Realize the awesome talent you have at this company. Although the location is not ideal for many young employees, they have passion. However, my passion was quickly exhausted as I felt I was working extremely hard (often 10 hr work days) with little to no recognition or appreciation. I don't expect my boss to watch me like a hawk and compliment my every move, but there are many young people giving it their all and... not getting much of anything in return. As a result, I've seen many make a lateral move to take a similar job but in a better city (and many say better boss).

Greenlee Tools2016-09-30

"Buyer/Planner"

Former Employee - Buyer/Planner in Rockford, IL

I worked at Greenlee Tools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started in customer service and received a great promotion to a different department after every year. Salary increase with new job title was very good. Moving on to a different Textron company is one of the biggest pluses Greenlee can offer a person, take the transfer, don't stay in Rockford!

Cons

Annual raises are not good, no more than 3% every year, more than that is impossible. Like most of the other reviews have said, upper management is terrible. They will listen to you, but do nothing more than that so dont expect any good changes to happen at Greenlee.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that handle the day to day operations..they have great ideas because they actually know what is going on.

Greenlee Tools2016-06-02

"Area Sales Manager"

I worked at Greenlee Tools full-time

Pros

very few pros. good co-workers.

Cons

poor upper management, no leadership, very high growth goals (15% to 20%), product quality is going down, no inventory, and bad / changing lead times on orders.

Advice to Management

Textron should clean house in Rockford.

Greenlee Tools2015-12-19
  8. "Not the worst place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Greenlee Tools full-time

Pros

I thought the pay was fair to the market. Although your money will go a lot further in Rockford, IL Greenlee uses current business software like SAP. Since most departments are under staffed because of the last layoffs, you get alot of experience doing alot of different things. Although you'll also have more work.

Cons

The first thing that comes to my mind is the diversity is terrible there. I would say 60% of the employees are from the rockford area. A lot of the staff have been in Rockford their whole lives. This isn't a huge deal, although it would be nice if you got to meet people from different cultures and backgrounds Greenlee's career opportunity from a location standpoint are poor. You really only have Rockford, IL if... your not in the manufacturing field. Because there is the headquarters in Rockford, IL then 3 manufacturing centers in Memphis, TN, Louisville, KY and Genoa, IL, But if your not in manufacturing/engineering the only place for you is Rockford I personally have never experience this, although I have seen it a lot . Greenlee employees are quick to throw each other under the bus. Not sure if they fear job security or the wrath from upper management. You'll see the emails people wright to each other CCing in the upper management and think was this necessary. Greenlee is a yearly goals always make you scratch your head, basically...Spend less, but get better quality, with less resources

Advice to Management

A thank you once in a while would be nice...o and less emails in all caps clearly screaming at people.

Greenlee Tools2013-05-19