Greenpath Reviews | Glassdoor

Greenpath Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There is a sense of pride in doing our job because of how we are focused on helping people work towards greater financial wellness (in 10 reviews)

• Decent benefits, decent salary, training is good (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a call center environment, very strictly regulated (in 19 reviews)

• Work schedule is not your typical 9-5 due to call center environment (in 10 reviews)

"Pretty good place"

Current Employee - Account Maintenance Coordinator in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Account Maintenance Coordinator in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Managers are pretty flexible and treat employees like adults. Overtime is available pretty regularly which helps bump up the check.

Cons

The senior manager is a bit narcissistic and out of touch. He often has meetings and just talks forever. The pay is pretty low when you get started, the maintenance department is completely undervalued.

Advice to Management

Be as flexible as possible with your people. Offer work from home days to enhance the work/life balance.

Jul 11, 2016 – HR Manager

Good morning, Thank you for your feedback. I would love the opportunity to chat more and gain a better understanding of your experiences at Greenpath. If you would be open to it please feel free ... More

"Don't let other reviews fool you, GP is not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Financial Counselor II in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor II in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time

Pros

GreenPath is a company that is evolving which is leading to more opportunities for growth in the company. One of the biggest benefits of working at GreenPath is being around the other employees. Everyone has such great ideas and the environment has really become collaborative. Management listens when the people on the front line have suggestions to improve a process or experience for clients. There is a sense of pride in doing our job because of how we are focused on helping people work towards greater financial wellness.

Cons

One con is that you are on the phone all day, but this is the nature of a call center. Unfortunately due to the nature of the business you don't have a lot of flexibility in your day but again this is to be expected for the FCC, AMD, and Counselor/Coach position because it is a call center. I think that people don't realize that while management tries to work with you we still need to have adequate coverage to meet the business needs.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to employee suggestions. I have been at the company for over 7yrs and have seen it evolve to where we are now and I think it has gotten so much better. I think that with the changes to the leadership team, when Donna was acting CEO and now with Kristen Holt as CEO/President, GreenPath is really moving in the right direction.

Jun 20, 2016 – HR Manager

Good morning, I greatly appreciate your feedback, and would love the opportunity to speak with you further about your experiences and maybe how we could continue to improve. Please feel free ... More

"So so place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

Not the worst place to work. Nice people to work with.

Cons

The working hours didn't get better. 1-10 is tough supervisors are good, but upper management is out of touch. .

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who take calls. They know more than you think.

Jun 13, 2016 – HR Manager

Good morning, Thank you for providing feedback on your experiences at GreenPath. I would love the opportunity to speak with you to gather additional feedback that you have if you would be willing ... More

"AMC"

Former Employee - Staff in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Staff in Detroit, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

energetic team, always busy so won't feel time pass. if you work hard it will get rewarded.

Cons

Can get you burned out. benefits are decreasing and its usually so busy you barely take your 15 min breaks. PTO may not be always be available on the days you want (feel like begging for time off).

Advice to Management

bring certainty about the future of the company seems like there is always layoffs and offices closing.

Feb 22, 2016 – HR Manager

Good Afternoon, I would love the opportunity to speak with you and hear your feedback around our benefit offerings, and break opportunities. Our richness of many of our benefit offerings has ... More

"NEEDS MAJOR OVERHAUL"

Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pleasant co workers and compassionate counselors who care about the clients.
    Attempts to help clients in need due to financial difficulties.
    Great PTO

Cons

Call center environment.
    Extremely high turnover rate and still losing veteran employees due to low moral.
    Lacks upward mobility unless you are a favorite, regardless of qualifications or interpersonal skills(hasn't changed in 8 years)
    Not a single person of color in any of the supervising, management, or directing positions. Management is "good old boys club"
    Instead of rewarding top performers with merit increases they are rewarded with 1st grader capes to wear at work and 5 cent clothing pins. (employees not feeling valued and they are not wearing the capes)
    Supervisors and Managers are useless on a day to day operational level, reason being calls will stack up and they do not want to assist the rank and file employee.They are made to believe that clients are top priority but, how can the management allow calls to stack for so long and not assist the client....? Answer its beneath them!

Advice to Management

There really needs to be improvements made, and not just thru lip service. Moral is very low turn over rate is high and when ever there is a suggestions sent to management or HR it is buried. When and if they can afford to hire a new CEO that person will need to look down the lines of the leadership team and truly make adjustments. Listen to the employees, reward top performers fairly because your employees are your most valuable assets.

Feb 29, 2016 – HR Manager

Good evening, I appreciate the feedback, and would like the opportunity to speak with you further to gain additional feedback to make a positive impact for our employees. Please feel free to ... More

"Financial Counselor II"

Former Employee - Financial Counselor Level II in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor Level II in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

Pay level for where I live was incredibly good. PTO was generous to start with but was reduced a few years back. You get a lot of PTO days but good luck using them with all the blackout dates.

Cons

The company grew too big, too fast. It used to be like a family where everyone knew each other. Now, you can barely keep track of who is still there. The call center environment is incredibly stressful and is burning out a lot of long time counselors (like me.) The quality reviews don't always seem to match up with trying to help people, they're more concerned with hitting the numbers. Since everything has been consolidated into one, the level of customer service for the field offices has gone way down. We used to be able to deal with our own clients and responded to emails and phone calls within a day. Now faxes and emails have all been consolidated into one place and they're running at least a week behind, even though clients are told 24 to 48 hours. Eventually GP will go from having 70 offices to having maybe 15, all in major markets and the call center at WHQ. As those field offices close, the experienced counselors will get to be less and less and it appears no one really cares. The company has gone to the bean-counters. If you are in the field, there is no job opportunity unless you want to relocate to WHQ.

Advice to Management

Quit trying to be Google. Have some respect for your employees and try not to treat them like children all the time. Get rid of the capes for the 'Heroes'. Being treated like a 3rd grader is not something that makes me feel appreciated.

Feb 22, 2016 – HR Manager

Good afternoon, I would like the opportunity to speak with you and gain a better insight into your experiences and concerns. If you wouldn't mind, please call and/or email me at your convenience ... More

"Consultative Sales/Advising, does not feel like nonprofit"

Current Employee - Financial Counselor Level II in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor Level II in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+ Good resume builder<br>
    + Decent pay for those fresh out of college who can't get a job in their field.<br>
    + Teaches you a lot about credit, mortgages, student loans - stuff applicable in day to day life<br>
    + Flexible hours<br>
    + PTO on par with state jobs. 19 days/yr starting and +5/yr after 6 years.<br>
    +/- Best pay of any call center job I've worked, worst pay of any finance/accounting job I've worked.

Cons

- Talk with a current employee before accepting a job here. It's common knowledge to many counselors that some of the 5 star ratings are fake, done internally.<br>

- No opportunity to move up. Pay was frozen for a while and team leaders/mentors were all demoted. So now when there is an opening, you have 10 people to compete with who have prior leadership experience in the company. Though many departments are being reduced so even if you get a promotion, how long would it last? They may give you manager responsibilities but your pay will be the same.<br>

- No job security. Vital, higher up staff at Greenpath are jumping ship and being let go, as well as us bottom feeders. <br>

- Call center environment means you are timed on everything you do. It took 6 minutes to walk to the bathroom and back? Your 15 minute break just dropped to 9. Go over a few times and you'll have a sit down with your manager. <br>

- Quality? You will talk to people crying, screaming, at wits' end because they are about to be foreclosed on/file bankruptcy/suffer some other financial devastation. You have a time limit for your call. You are required to show empathy and build rapport initially but any further contact you make counts against your stats. Basically "thanks for your life story, but now that we get money from the DMP fees or HUD grant let's never talk again". <br>

- Integrity? Odd for a non profit, prepare to have ethical conflicts. Debt management plan? We'll charge you $75 a month for something you can negotiate on your own and often does not save you money. Someone lost their job? You have to tell them to sell their home because they can't afford it without income and you can't assume they'll ever get back to work. A returning client has questions- you can either do the right thing and help them and spend 10-30 minutes with them or say you'll have their counselor call them back and take 2 minutes. Either way, you get the same amount of credit. <br>

- Teamwork? We're segregated into teams, sure. There is "teambuilding" stuff but there is no collaboration aside from "follow up on my leads while I'm out of the office". I'm the only one on the phone with my client. I'm struggling to think of any time there's been a group project. Teamwork internally means "take as many calls as you can so other people don't have to". <br>

- Benefits? Better than retail, worse than many comparable finance/accounting jobs. <br>

- Many managers just do the bare minimum to appear competent, but have their employees do the work for them or won't take the time to help employees with potential who are struggling.

Advice to Management

I have not seen this kind of rapid turnover rate since I worked retail. I admire the vision the company has in theory but in practice it is poorly executed and company morale is dismal. I miss the company I was hired in to. And change that Aretha/inner Rocky junk on the site and job postings. Greenpath is the laughingstock of others in the financial sector. Seriously, a friend of mine sent a posting around his work and later on at a formal dinner his coworkers were coming up to me making fun of my job not because of what I do but because it's marketed in such a juvenile way. I was embarassed to work here.

"Changed for the worse"

Former Employee - Account Maintenance Coordinator in Silverdale, PA
    Former Employee - Account Maintenance Coordinator in Silverdale, PA

I worked at Greenpath (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good amount of PTO, helping people

Cons

It was a good place to work when I started, then they made major changes that made the field jobs seem like call center jobs. We used to get to know our clients and then we were talking to people all over and the personalization was gone. There was absolutely no time to take a quick break because the phones were non stop. This also made it impossible to meet compliance, therefore clients suffered. There were unrealistic numbers to meet as well. The insurance is also terrible.

Advice to Management

See above.

"financial counselor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

I love this company. Management is awesome and really try hard to help you be successful. Great opportunities to always take on more lines of business and grow within the company. Also, the company really cares about employee moral and tries to make sure we are happy.

Cons

Call center environment. Being at a desk all day can be tough, and taking numerous phone calls all done is very repetitive.

11. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Compliance Specialist in Stafford, TX
    Former Employee - Compliance Specialist in Stafford, TX

I worked at Greenpath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at GreenPath and I learned a lot about finances and how to interact with individuals that did not have good people skills.

Cons

Keep your employees happy. Happy employees will work harder to reach company goals.