Greenville Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Riordan

Pros
Cons
  • Jobs are posted as a formality, no one else is considered when jobs are posted (in 5 reviews)

• Long hours, no compensations, lack of communication between employers and employees (in 3 reviews)

1. "GHS is an overgrown, bloated bureaucracy in which individual employees are expendable."

I worked at Greenville Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good insurance, discounts at several local businesses

Cons

The organization does not attend to the needs of employees well enough, good luck getting a question answered about your benefits or PTO; every time I needed something I was bounced around from office to office as though my question was the hot potato no one wanted. I don't believe the company has any ill-will toward employees, only that it's a natural consequence of growing so large that the value of each employee (and respect they receive) is going to drop.
    Specific to my department, which was more outreach oriented and non-medical, I was under a manipulative, two-faced supervisor who praised my performance to my face but was dishonest and harmful when an actual conflict arose and I needed support.

Advice to Management

Treat employees more like assets and less like pawns.

2. "GHS IT Department"

Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Greenville, SC

I worked at Greenville Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i don't have anything to share

Cons

i don't have anything to share here either.

Advice to Management

pay attention to the talent coming in and the work they actually do; and not the gossip that end up getting us removed because somebody had the power (not in management) to say as they please all thought it's not true. never had a chance there.

"Employee"

Pros

Friendly peers and front line employees

Cons

Executive management is consistently unfair and looks out for themselves and not the employees,

"Insurance collector"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Greenville, SC

I worked at Greenville Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule and awesome employees that are like family but that's about it.

Cons

Probably one of he worst jobs I've ever had. From the pay which sucked so bad to upper management that was the worse. I worked there for almost a year and the big boss over at UMG not once spoke to me and always has her head down when she passed you. Manager that didn't care about the employees that worked their tail off but for the ones has been there awhile and slept on the job nothing was ever done. They insurance is horrible. If you don't watch out they will bill you a facility charge along with a dr charge too which will be real high believe I know first hand. Then with the big mess with money they say they got into put us with no raises and no bonuses and not transfers for a year. Was the worst time of my life in a workplace worth not knowing if you have a job from day to day. It's hard to find something positive to say about his place except the co workers that I love dearly!! Maybe for a person just starting out in the field but that's all that I would recommend.

Advice to Management

Wake up and treat your employees better. Smile and talk to them and make them feel wanted and appreciated. Some need to go for sure. I hope one day that it will change for the better there.

"Physician Practice Clerk-Officr Scheduler"

Former Employee - Ppc in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Ppc in Greenville, SC

I worked at Greenville Health System full-time

Pros

The company worked around your personal obligations.

Cons

The company is now in debt and not allowing promotions, raises, or bonuses for an unspecified time.

Advice to Management

You have to be able to compensate fairly on an annual basis to retain good help that truly cares about the patients. We all have families to support too.

"The one word I can think of to describe the current state of GHS is dysfunctional."

I have been working at Greenville Health System full-time

Pros

Good people to work with at the patient care level and direct supervisors. Used to be a place that offered stability but that all appears to be changing.

Cons

Mid to upper level management is absent at best maybe better described as lacking leadership or direction. They are too focused on becoming the biggest system in the area. Several major PLANNED expenses have come and it's as if no one had planned for them. Once again, here they are in a financial crisis after spending money like Congress. Not too many years back staff went 3 years without merit increases. The last 2 years they have capped merit increases at 2 %. Now they are scrambling to cut where they can because they've over spent again by millions...on a planned computer system change that has need scheduled for years!!! How is that even possible? Private sector managers would be fired for such poor planning. GHS has once again been up to what it does the best, spend money and employees will again be the ones to lay the cost! Millions and millions have been spent on things that don't even affect the patient, but the first thing they always cut is employee benefits and staffing. Bottom line, GHS spends money on what they want and then climbs on the backs of their employees to pull them out of the hole. On top of poor financial planning, any serious problems reported at the clinical level go up the chain and are never addressed. In my many years with the system I don't ever remember seeing such low morale and apathy. It's very clear from the inside the only concern with GHS leadership is simply to become the biggest at any cost, not the best interest of the patients or the community.

Advice to Management

They're not going to listen anyways.

"admissions counselor"

Pros

pay is compatible. not many companies to compete with in the area

Cons

only see you as a number - top heavy with managers

"Great learning experience"

Pros

Diversity of the staff. Benefits are better than most employers in the area. Having a secure environment 24/7

Cons

Not enough personal or family time. Too much employee turn over. Hiring process is too slow.

Advice to Management

Management needs to acknowledge dedicated employees and promote them to higher potions based on their knowledge and experience

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Patient Account Representative/Financial Counselor in Easley, SC

I worked at Greenville Health System (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and perks for employee's

Cons

No personal Relationship with company, you feels as if you are just another number.

Advice to Management

Be more in touch with employee's

"Chaos, politics, and silos...oh my!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Some managers actually treat their staff pretty well.

Cons

Absolutely no structure in job and no accountability, so no work gets done. Unless you went to Clemson or are from Greenville, you can forget advancing or even being treated fairly. Most managers are involved in minor details that are completely unnecessary...they need to let go and let their employees do the work. Departments don't communicate with each other so employees have no idea what is going on.

Advice to Management

GHS needs to stop and slow down...remember the 3-legged stool from management class? People, processes and tools. You need to make sure all of those are rock solid before you go out trying to acquire other sites and selling "Community Connect". You need a strategic team.