Greenway Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Greenway Health CEO Richard Atkin
Richard Atkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Like any job, you have your ups and downs"

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company overall is great. The people are wonderful, and they are all willing to help you reach your maximum potential. They do encourage you to try harder and strive higher, even when morale is low.

Cons

The cons are that sometimes it is hard to get anyone to listen, and you feel like you’re punished for doing your job correctly.

Advice to Management

Constancy. Everyone is here because they want to be, treat them as such. Show appreciation. Use constructive criticism, and focus on what’s right, not always what’s wrong. As humans, we all make mistakes, but when your job is detail oriented, praise the good things as well as point out the needs improvement.

Aug 27, 2018 – Sr. Director, Talent

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience at Greenway Health. We strive to provide a workplace conducive to communication, collaboration, personal growth, and professional development. Our... More

2. "Solid Job"

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time

Pros

Team members are great to work with. Extensive training on the platforms. Managers are easy to talk to.

Cons

Starting pay is decent for the work/experience level, but I'm not sure if it is going to be enough long term.

"Wow! New Benefits very impressive! Company is listening to employee feedback"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New leadership team is transparent and has clearly defined direction
    Coworkers are great
    Healthcare is awesome industry

Cons

Change can be difficult for some employees. Need more focus on documentation, shared systems/knowledge management across locations and functions.

Advice to Management

Keep at it! Thanks for listening. Excited about new benefits plans

"Taught me how to not run a company"

Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Greenway Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

casual dress/relaxed atmosphere
    decent vacation
    remote work opportunities
    will hire workers without experience (allows you to get into the industry)
    some genuinely wonderful co-workers

Cons

pay below industry standard
    EXTREMELY high turnover rate
    execs seem directionless/hide their intentions
    inadequate training
    policies are not established/are made up as they go
    no support from upper management

Advice to Management

When I first started a year after the merger, we were told the company was still in a transitional period. The company remained in that same state of flux during my 4 years of employment. Training was minimal. The onboarding period of 2 weeks included the first week of information about the company and the heathcare industry. The second week included software training for the platform you would be working. In practice, the first week was a haze of corporate-speak and the attention of HR personnel who would disappear never to be seen again after the week was over. We also learned bare basics about the definitions of industry terms. The second week included mornings spent in "software training" where we learned how to navigate the CLINICAL side of the EHR software with no mention of the billing modules necessary for our day-to-day jobs. In the afternoons, we shadowed our fellow employees, almost all of whom had been on the Intergy platform for less than a couple of months. At the end of that week, we were thrown to the wolves.

There was no institutional knowledge of that platform in our department. The turnover rate was extreme. People came and left constantly. In 2 years, I would become the de facto resource on our team for software knowledge and training because our training department offered limited help and everyone with experience had left. We were each working 1 to 2 clients on our own. We were responsible for the billing of entire multi-physician practices and many of us had never done revenue cycle management before or even worked in the health industry. We worked from the (often useless and uninformative) notes of remote contractors abroad who would call insurance companies and post payments on our behalf. We were told to hide the fact that we used remote contractors unless the client asked. Over the next two years, things did improve but not for all employees and not to a standard appropriate to serve our clients. Clients came in constantly, and clients slowly left as their contracts expired. Hiring almost never matches the demand for new team members due to increased client load and constant turnover.
          While some team members had a manageable workload working together on a single client, other team members managed entire practices whose accounts receivable were in poor shape. On the other end of the spectrum, there were employees who were given only one menial task to do on a large client, which impeded their ability to succeed at another similar job if they left. Workloads were distributed not based on the algorithms that were in place, but on which clients pitched the biggest fits and threatened to break contract. Employees with heavier workloads would occasionally receive help if their clients complained but hardly ever enough to make a big difference. I was one of the employees with a larger workload. I would be ignored for months and then suddenly micromanaged when someone higher up noticed what was going on. I was passed up for merit raises and given poor performance reviews with no consideration for the fact that my situation was created by the company. My manager constantly asked for more workers on my clients, we only received help toward the end when the Birmingham office was closed. This help was given when there was a big push to improve the health of our clients in order to make them more palatable for our replacements in Tampa.
          In hindsight, the company had clearly been preparing for the Birmingham closure for months if not years without letting even the higher-up management in Birmingham know. Most people were given an option to relocate (no cost-of-living increases for those moving from Birmingham to Tampa, by the way), and those who remained but did not find a new job were given a decent severance and retention bonus. However, the company showed very little empathy for employees who could or would not make the move and were told to "be more positive."

Stray observations:
    *constant restructuring
    *I once participated in a day long workshop with the development team to ask our input on software enhancements. The developers spent the entire workshop questioning whether we needed any enhancements at all despite not understanding our workflow and none of our requests were ever implemented.
    *Policies were rarely written down or thought of ahead of time. They were implemented as they occurred to management and were not clearly communicated and implemented. (E.g. no one was ever sure how inclement weather events were to be handled. Instructions varied from manager to manager and often differed from official HR emails.)
    *They never fixed or replaced the water/ice machine in our office. It was always leaking and moldy and I'm still mad about it.

5. "Embracing Change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Greenway Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great time off package. Lucrative sales opportunities.

Cons

Health insurance was extremely costly. Constant changes in executive leadership make it extremely difficult to have clear direction.

Advice to Management

Continue improving on transparency and work to find a direction that everyone can get behind. It is very difficult to hit a moving target.

6. "Unfairness throughout"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Carrollton, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Carrollton, GA

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A steady paycheck and good computer equipment to work from.

Cons

Training is rushed and for the two weeks and they place people in positions that they are not best suited for.
    All they care about are their metrics of cases closed.

They subscribe to the metoo, meaning that if you are male and you just say Hello or look at someone wrongly, you get written up or fired. Seriously, there is no due process for anything there.

Advice to Management

Be fair to people and don't just look at the numbers.

"Not for everyone"

I worked at Greenway Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company does not torture its employees. The work environment is safe, it seemed inclusive to me, and there are plenty of likeable people at every level of seniority. There's plenty of work to do, and as long as you're not expecting too much you can find things to be interested in.

This is an especially good place to work for a while if you are looking for a start in the software industry, specifically Healthcare IT. You will learn how to work in a large company, with different teams having competing priorities, and how to discover and maintain established products.

If you have a passion for healthcare and believe that you can help improve peoples' health by working for a software company, then working for Greenway is a way to accomplish that.

Cons

I wrote a big long explanation here, but it's really just three issues that are not really Greenway's fault. This company:

- Is old, with lots of active products and associated customers;
    - Serves the healthcare market, with all that entails; and
    - Is owned by private equity (Vista)

To be happy here, you have to adjust your expectations to fit that reality. This company spends a lot of time maintaining old products built on old technologies which you would never come of out school wanting to work with, or in fact expect anyone to be using anymore. Change is difficult, because these products cannot be easily or quickly consolidated; healthcare is very special and demands extreme care and patience. Past mistakes have made customers wary of big changes, and even small changes (or: innovation) could generate enough support overhead that people in this company won't even want to try. They will do painful, painful stuff to themselves to avoid the possibility of a phone call.

Capping it off is the environment that you get when you're owned by private equity. Fiscal discipline is paramount. Salary, benefits, etc. are average to below market; if you bring this up you will get a canned non-answer like 'we are constantly evaluating the market and our x is competitive'. A great product or project is one that has a great return on investment, not necessarily one customers love.

Some people are fine with all of this; like I said in the pros, it's not torture. But I didn't like it and wanted a change, so I left.

Advice to Management

This is tough when you're not really in control of the company, but try to find a way to make Vista 'buy and hold' a strategy for consolidation. It's never going to be an 18-24 month thing, and you're never going to be able to have an exact plan with exact estimates before you begin. Until everyone understands and accepts that, this company cannot progress.

8. "Patient AR"

Current Employee - Par in Carrollton, GA
    Current Employee - Par in Carrollton, GA

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Morale is high
    Flexible and Understanding with schedule

Cons

Not the highest paying position

Sep 24, 2018 – Sr. Director, Talent

Thank you for your review of Greenway Health. We great appreciate your feedback. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your time at Greenway and we believe that positive morale among our team... More

"Run as far as you can if you do not work at Tampa, FL location"

I worked at Greenway Health full-time

Pros

Great knowledge but way behind in Healthcare I.T terms compare to other platforms in the market. You can beat competition by revamping an old software. Good flexibility but not standardize for everyone, depends who you know in management. If you are in Alachua, Carrollton or somewhat left of Birmingham, AL, start thinking outside the box. Major changes were made recently and more coming. Shuffling/realigning the management hierarchy doesn't make the company better, you lose trust from people who invested their 20+ years in the company and obviously stood by random changes within that period.

Cons

Company talks about cultural values and transformation, but the big thing they are missing is Transformation of everyone's job to "One Greenway"...which means TAMPA, FL.

Advice to Management

You want to be transparent for the people who represents you as a known company in the market. Don't keep them blind sided and hand them slip a week before job moves to Tampa. These people put their hard work to make what this company is today and you keep them blind sided thinking they have stupid written on their forehead.

10. "Good place to work for"

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time

Pros

Great company culture, great people to work with

Cons

Salary is little low compare to other companies

Sep 17, 2018 – Sr. Director, Talent

Thank you for your feedback regarding your time at Greenway Health. We are happy to hear that you enjoy the culture we provide at Greenway and the team members we have here! Compensation is reviewed... More