Greenwood Hall Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John R. Hall

"Exciting EdTech Company with a bright future!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An expanding EdTech company that offers exciting advancement opportunities & typically tends to promote/train from within! Perfect for the ambitious, self-starter type who values independence/autonomy over busy work or being micromanaged. The entire management team, and CEO especially, are deeply passionate about education, technology development, and most importantly - student success! They offer comprehensive medical/dental benefits packages; PTO on holidays, birthdays and sick leave; flexible schedules; a student-centric work environment and positive coaching culture; and for some positions even the option to work remotely! Due to internal restructuring and refinancing there were some bumps in the road in the past, but the future is looking brighter and brighter each day. With the sales team nearly doubled in size, and the addition of several new key accounts the Company is already on the verge of yet another wave of expansion. If you enjoy being challenged by a fast-paced, high-growth work environment and are looking to do something that truly makes an impact on the lives of others, Greenwood Hall may be uniquely suited for you!

Cons

In it's 18 year history, the Company has certainly seen its fair share of ups and downs. One of the most prominent concerns voiced in the past was the issue of stability. HOWEVER, since the restructuring the current management team has really risen to the occasion to demonstrate that Greenwood Hall is not only improving, but expanding and really evolving on all fronts! Communication can be an issue for some, if you aren't proactive or willing to take initiative to get things resolved. Personally, I'd love to see the Company put it's 401K plan back in place - but hope that can be accomplished by the end of 2016. Other than that, I can't really complain.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to expand and add new business, as the recent influx in new sales has really helped improve employee morale and let the world know what Greenwood Hall is all about. The more new business that you bring in, the more the employee experience and satisfaction levels will improve! Know that regardless of who we are or what position we hold, there is ALWAYS room for improvement! And lastly, continue to take stock in all your employee suggestions/recommendations, because good ideas come from all around us and I for one appreciate being immersed in a culture that acknowledges and positively reinforces that! :)

2. "Don't Work Here!"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None really. It's a job not a career.

Cons

Micromanagement. High pressure education sales. Confused, self-serving CEO and upper management.

Advice to Management

Call the job what it is, a telemarketing job for low tier, for profit "universities" . Be honest and treat your employees with respect. Stop posting FAKE reviews on sites like Glassdoor. Every few months a few reviews pop up from "satisified" employees that are clearly written by management at Greenwood and Hall.

"Talk a good game, but...."

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is lighter than most education call centers are and that can probably contributed towards how they focus on numbers. Willing to spend money on amenities like Keurig with various beverage options, fruit, and occasional lunch (pizza).

Cons

Bounce paychecks, not willing to take responsibility for bounced checks, nor willing to disclose why they are bouncing. Middle management does not know how to delegate to make themselves more effective. Also, they talk like politicians, side stepping questions without giving real answers. Small office in Phoenix (30 people), so upward mobility is extremely limited. Technology is what you would expect for small office, not top or even middle of the line. Training could definitely use some improvement. No direct deposit in 2017?! HR department could be better ran by a baboon.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure there's something I could put here that they would even consider. However, try keeping an excess of money in an account for payroll and put your employees on direct deposit. Get a better PTO plan, a better HR department, and treat your employees with respect by communicating with them. Lastly, stop lying to your employees and Dr. Hall change the title of your book because, even though the question is rhetorical, based on my experience my answer would be "Yes".

"Enrollment advisor -admissions team"

Former Employee - Commissions Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Commissions Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Greenwood Hall full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None what so ever. Do not work for this place, they will only waste your time.

Cons

The insurance benefits are horrible.
    They do not offer direct deposit and only give your check after you have worked your full schedule shift.
    Micromanaged and constantly monitored without trust.
    Monitored absent days by a point system which no one understands.
    Nothing was ever up to date and the only person that does HR is clueless.

Advice to Management

Culture change starts from management and works its way down!

Greenwood Hall Response

Dec 4, 2015 – VP, Talent Management

We're always working to improve our benefits! December 1 we launched new medical plans (some with lower rates), increased the company contribution to medical insurance, and improved our PTO accrual ... More

"A dead-end short-term job with low pay, no raises, and limited opportunity for growth"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Greenwood Hall full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned at lot and Greenwood and Hall, and I and wish the best for this company, but they will continue to have a high turn over year after year if they don't start making some drastic changes.

Cons

I originally started working for this company as a seasonal employee and was told I would only be working for a few months due to seasonal variances in load. After a brief time I was instead offered a full time position to replace other employees that were often leaving due to, as I would later find out, was extremely high turnover due to constant issues with payments and disagreements with management. Over time the company seemed to have more and more issues financially, my paychecks as well as others bouncing on numerous occasions. It often took over a week to resolve, and no one bothered to step forward and explain what was happening for over a week, resulting in large amounts of employees leaving, and filing complaints with the labor board. Finally one of the owners came in to apologize face-to-face and told us a story about why our checks were bouncing and that they were taking care of the situation and we would all be paid and they made arrangements to ensure it would "never happen again". This happened right at Christmas time too, resulting in several employees missing out on long planned visits to their family for the holidays due to insufficient funds.

A month later, despite promises to the contrary, it happened again. We were still issued paychecks but then asked not to cash them until the following Monday. Supplies were being limited in the office, people had to bring in their own plates, plastic ware, napkins, towels, and even water. A few times, they couldn't even afford to stock toilet paper. At this time, overall morale began to decline steadily. Management level employees were quitting with no notice and the second owner in the CA office disappeared with no explanation.

Then all of a sudden a management team from Arizona was hired to try to change the office around, which turned out to be a complete waste of time as they would come and go as they please and they hardly ever spent any time in the office, nor did anything quantifiable.

Among other unsatisfactory things about the company, most of the "management" staff, and team leads, were highly uneducated, condescending, and unprofessional. My team manager, who was with the company half of the time I was, knew far less about the account than anyone else working on the team, was rarely able to answer questions, and would spend 2-3 hours of her 8 hour shift, standing outside with a cigarette in her hand. She constantly complained about the dress code in the office, and after telling our team we "HAD" to wear formal attire the following day because a "client" was going to be in the office, she would come in wearing a tank top, jeans and flip-flops. After leaving, I found her profile on Facebook, and almost every picture on it was highly inappropriate, often featuring her scantly-clad rear-end in some sort of drunken "spring break" extravaganza in which she had taken part.

We were expected to stay in a "chat room" style instant-message board, so that we could ask questions of the various team leads for the accounts. Unfortunately, only rarely did anyone ever answer a question, and new employees were left completely in the dark, with no one to help them learn how to handle regularly occurring situations. Coupled with almost non-existent training, I cant imagine we had a very good reputation amongst the inbound callers.

I worked here for multiple years, and not once was given a formal review, or a cost of living increase, or any pay raise. The company offered a really awful 50% employer contributed health and dental plan, that cost twice as much as my privatized insurance, and offered less than half of the benefits. It was cheaper AND more beneficial for me to stay with my own insurance. The only insurance they offered that was worth paying for was for vision, and if you signed up for ONLY vision, you were treated like you were some kind of terrible person. The base pay was very low, and with so few ways to advance, there really is no long term future for anyone that works here.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the feedback you get from employees, read the reviews on this site. Make some serious changes, or you will not last.

"Paychecks bounced. Thrown to the wolves on a daily basis."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bryan, TX

I worked at Greenwood Hall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was able to work from home, made several good friends.

Cons

From the start, training was mediocre. It was nothing more than a team leader speedily reading a packet to a room full of new hires. Everything I learned came from an experienced and very thorough woman, who had been with the company for quite some time - not my team lead. New accounts would roll in, you'd get an email or something saying how to answer the phone, and that was it. You'd be answering calls for something you knew nothing about, yet claiming to be an expert about it. Emails would be sent out with information as they obtained it, but lots of times there was no more information. Or it was a month before you heard anything else about it. I mentioned working from home, but I was only able to do this because I had my own laptop, paid for my own internet, and already owned my own headset. They did not set me up with any hardware or come out of pocket for anything for me to do that. It just made it more convenient for me because I could watch tv in between calls. In the office you aren't even allowed to read a book, which I thought was ridiculous. Especially if it was a slow day on Inbound. Pay was not great, but not terrible either, considering the position overall. The insurance is AWFUL. Expensive, and you still end up paying out of pocket for everything. I regularly paid $30-50 for prescriptions that are typically free. Checks were always an issue. They were consistently late. Management liked to blame this on the FedEx delivery guys. I never had a paycheck bounce until my 2nd year of employment, and then checks were bouncing every other month. Then every other pay period. Then every single pay period. They would reissue checks for the checks that bounced, but then your bank wouldn't accept them. Pretty soon, even the seediest gas stations around town wouldn't cash them. Since the checks were from out of state (Coming from California to the Texas branch) they were already held by the bank before depositing. And the fees are higher if you tried to cash them outright. G&H discussed opening a local account in the area to help with this, but they never bothered to actually do it. After bouncing checks became more frequent, and employees started quitting, management held a conference call with California to discuss the future of the company and address our concerns. It was nothing more than an hour long excuse talking about hedge funds, and that they basically don't have enough money on hand to pay their employees ever. And because the accounts we service don't pay on time, that payroll is met by borrowing money. According to them, something happened with the lender, and they are working to find a new lender asap. Meanwhile their replacement checks had month long holds on them with banks and/or were straight up rejected. My local bank even went so far as to offer me a job at their branch because they felt sorry for me. It was humiliating. They eventually made good on all my hours worked, and even vacation time (which I had no idea existed). But once checks started bouncing like that, I got out of there as fast as I could. It literally felt like I was on a sinking ship. I saved all of their bogus payroll excuse emails because if I didn't get my money, I was going to notify the district attorney. They kept acting like the bounced checks were surprising, but they were definitely writing checks they KNEW wouldn't cash. Just to shut people up and buy themselves time.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees. It's insulting, and it wastes their time.

"If you are thinking of working here: Look elsewhere!"

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a couple of good things about working for this company. When you are sick or if you need to leave for an emergency they are usually accommodating, you might not get paid for the time you are gone though. There are also some great people working here.

Cons

The cons are too many to list, but here are a few. If you are reading this then you are either a current employee, a member of G&H "leadership" or considering working here. If you are the latter do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. This is not higher education. It is a telemarketing, enrollment sales job. You will be saddling un-qualified. lower income students with student debt at sub-par schools. Prepare to have every second of your day micro-managed by "leaders with a high school education. There are bachelor's degrees and higher among some of the upper management members, but don't expect to see them in the office. One upper level manager claims to be an expert on education and only has a bachelor's from a low tier, for profit, online school although it is laughably, "with honors".
    Benefits are terrible and on a par with insuring yourself privately and salaries are minimal. You will be held accountable for enrollment goals and you will be disciplined and let go if you do not meet enrollment goals. This, by the way, is a practice that operates outside of legal parameters.

Advice to Management

Start practicing leadership instead of micro-management, it clearly doesn't work as illustrated by low employee morale, high turnover and falling profitability. Practice honesty and transparency. Stop posting artificial and clearly contrived reviews on these types of sites, it's pretty obvious.

8. "I've witnessed the company's most trying times and it's significant progress in the last 6 months."

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, team-oriented coworkers. Supervisors typically are fair and want the best for their teams. Pay and benefits are decent. Good job security - employees are trained and given many opportunities to improve or find their right place within the company. I have the peace of mind knowing that Mgmt will (and has) find me a suitable position if there is a change in client accounts/restructuring. GH promotes mostly from within, which creates opportunities for growth/salary increase for employees. Company morale and culture have improved IMMENSELY in the last 4-6 months. Mgmt appears to be making an effort to listen to the needs of employees and promote a more positive environment. Good place to start with little/no college on your resume.

Cons

No commission due to laws regulating comission-based recruiting. (This may be a plus for those who prefer a fair and consistent wage and less pressure to meet quotas.) Company hasn't always been transparent with employees, but that has significantly improved. Call center repetitive job tasks, with most positions involving heavy call volume, which can be mentally and physically exhausting. The type of service I provide leaves me without a genuine sense of purpose or any real accomplishment I am proud of, even when I'm meeting my goals. Unless you have a passion for call centers, or are comfortable settlingp, this is a place to hold a job, not a career.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve transparency. Less micro-management, constant status update reporting, coaching reports, and excessive meetings about further micro-management. Supervisors and employees alike are micro-managed to the point that other more important tasks are delayed and the entire team suffers. It is important to continue to monitor and improve performance, but the frequency of such monitoring and coaching should be decreased to allow ample time to actually serve our clients. Implement employee development strategies to help us grow and encourage us to stay. More incentives/bonuses would be great motivators.

9. "customer service rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representativetomer Service Representative in Santa Anita, CA

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time

Pros

Company is energetic. very friendly environment. Continue to thrive despite odds.

Cons

high turn-over and lots of changes. very clicky

10. "Great Place To Work At"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Greenwood Hall full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with were great, we all had a great time, we had many fun events and I learned a lot while I was there and I mean a lot. When I left the senior management made some changes for the better, so employees now need to relax and do they're job or go home. The company doesn't need negative people and bring everyone down. If I could go back I would in a heartbeat.

Cons

Some things were confusing, but you got through it

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and keep bringing in more business