Gregg Distributors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gary Gregg

1. "Only work at Gregg's if you are desparate."

Former Employee - Counter Person in Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Counter Person in Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a living wage. christmas party and gifts. staff discounts. electric plug ins in parking lot for staff. Huge inventory. warm and dry. quarterly bonuses (dried up with the downturn)

Cons

no trust, employees are frisked at days end. 2 sets of rules, one for butt kissers, and one for real workers. no coffee during work. no music anywhere onsite. management rewards brown nosers with 'low maintenance'. stifling, top down, management. innovation not allowed. wages docked for any minutes late from breaks - wages never increased for coming back early. fakes customer discounts. no talking allowed amongst employees, unless you're among the chosen.

Advice to Management

It takes more than a living wage to satisfy all but the chosen zombie workers.

"Driver"

Former Employee - Driver in Langley, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Driver in Langley, BC (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors (More than a year)

Pros

3 weeks vacation to start

Cons

Salary, they expect you to work thru coffee breaks and lunches and even after hours with the promise of the extra time being reflected in your bonus. They dont actually record any of the extra time you work and the bonus doesnt even cover it.
    Lost time forms! You have to fill out a lost time form for any lost time occurance and then you are charged an extra 5 minutes for processing. The time is taken out of your 3 personal days allowed per year. If you miss 15 minutes you are charged 20 and then if you miss a coffee break due to work in the same day, you are still 20 minutes in the negative at the end of the day. Pretty stupid system.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees like people instead of a number.

3. "Absolutely shocking and painful at the same time"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work hard you got rewarded but that's it. The salary are ok but no overtime. Very generous at Christmas parties

Cons

I OMG as I sit here and read all the comments I see this place has not changed since 1993 when I worked there. But it doesn't matter how many bad reviews you see they are always full staffed. I have not recommended this place for employment from the day I left it's that bad.

Advice to Management

Gary needs to move on and let some young blood fix what could of been a great company to work for.

5. "Flt driver"

Current Employee - FLT Driver in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - FLT Driver in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Gregg Distributors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Greggs. Good company work for and good people to work with.

Cons

I haven't got anything bad to say about the company

Advice to Management

None

"Scared for your job every day"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time

Pros

Decent wages. And some of the employees aren't to bad to be around. Just don't get caught talking while you are at work

Cons

You can show up an hour early everyday and start work and not be noticed. But show up 5 min late and you are docked. No overtime paid but you are expected to work more often. Managers watch the bathroom often and time you. Your breaks are timed. Don't get caught bieng 2 min over!!! Lots of people spy on you throughout the day. Constantly watched. Hidden cameras in certain areas. I never had anything to hide. But it's a Crappy feeling knowing you are never trusted. I was stressed almost every day I worked there. Wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. Unless you are part of the family you will not enjoy it.

Advice to Management

Not much point as most of them feel they are God like and above everyone else. Especially the owner!!!!

"Sycophant Heaven !!"

Pros

Good pay ! Good " Buy Into Gregg" program IF you can take the job for 10-20 yrs ...... you'll do well in retirement.

Cons

If you can handle the "culture" and the despot sitting in the big chair !

Advice to Management

No advice as he would not even consider taking it.

"Nightmares"

Pros

Good programs and benefits for those who stick around.

Cons

I wanted to make sure I waited ample time after I left this place to write an honest and non emotional review since emotions do run high after a negative experience.

I left on my own. Originally I was offered a job through another place but declined because I was at that time "happy" with Gregg's. But things change quickly. People constantly get yelled at and berated for the smallest things. They want you to be "independent and self sufficient" but only under their supervision and be self sufficient their way only. Gary is extremely hot and cold - you never know what kind of mood he's in and he snaps at the drop of a hat. I remember I asked him a question one day and he literally stood up and yelled in my face until he was red and everyone was staring. So humiliating. Thank god the place that I originally turned down decided to give me another chance so I could get the hell out of that place. I was nervous my whole 2 weeks that I was making a wrong decision - because they brain wash you. They make you feel like you'll never do better, you'll never find another job as good as this one. But I stuck with it - Did my 2 weeks and moved on.
    It wasn't until I started my new job that I realized just the working conditions I was under at Gregg's. I am not even exaggerating when I say that I literally had nightmares and unrelenting anxiety about that place even after I left. I can remember driving to work and almost having a panic attack thinking about how I could be commuting back to that place. I'm so thankful I'm not. My whole life is better, my well being, my happiness, my health have all improved since leaving. I don't know what being in jail feels like but I'm sure it feels something similar to this place.
    Good luck getting hired if you're not white or phillipino - That's just the facts. Tell me how many ethnic people you see working there other than that and if they do - they aren't treated the same. Sorry but that's the truth.
    You're treated like a peasant - having to ask Gary - the president - for a pen if you need one. Careful though - you'll be seen as high maintenance.
    My honest recommendation is to just stay far away. Unless you're an "investor" of the top 2 levels you are nothing to them.

Advice to Management

It's time to retire, Gary. You're tired. Let Heather take over and hopefully she'll bring some new fresh ideas to make this company good again.

"Sales"

Pros

aren't any. Management sucks and Gary is a control freak.

Cons

Worst company I've ever worked for

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen

"In all honesty....."

Pros

Monday to Friday day shift

Cons

Beware, beware, beware!!! If anything seems too good to be true, if something doesn't add up, or if one single red flag is being raised - run for your life!!!
    Everybody hates working for this company and anybody who says they do is a phoney, fraud and a hypocrite!
    You will hate your life and you will hate your job! You will come home and take it out on your family and you will be so mentally exhausted that you won't want to be around anyone once you have down time.
    Sure it's Monday to Friday. It's also 8 - 5 with a half-hour lunch. You're considered salary for their convenience  (no over-time!!). They would like for everyone to start at 7:30, but since you're salary, you won't get paid for it and they can't tell you to come in, but they will manipulate you to do it! Underlying threats of layoffs is their way of getting you to do what they want!
    They rarely fire people. They "layoff" and then hire replacements. They buy their way into the "50 best managed companies" club and yet the people they have in management have had ZERO training in the real world as to how to actually manage!! Management is a popularity contest in this company..... and if you're not popular, you will NEVER be anything more than a pee-on...... until you get your layoff notice!
    There's a large turnover in this company....it's not because people don't like to work.....it's because Canada isn't a communist country.....but Gregg's is!!
    This is anything but a career, you will never in your professional or personal life ever feel so mistreated, used, overworked, underpaid, gossiped about, backstabbed, etc... and there isn't a single person you can go to for any support or assistance.
    If you do ever go to anybody for anything they will twist and distort it. You will never live through so much backstabbing, lying, manipulation. You will be pushed and provoked, you will have work thrown at you literally, and you will be mocked and ridiculed. If anybody reading this thinks this is an individual having a bad day, not in the least, just somebody who's lived it and it cautioning anybody who is needing and wanting a job and will do just about anything to get one.... this is not it!!!
    If you have any self worth, dignity or respect you will not apply for or accept a job at this Godforsaken place!!!

Advice to Management

Stop being bullies!!!

"I looks good initially"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay is the only benefit.

Cons

Every aspect of the company is micro managed to keep every employee under the thumb. They hide behind the Top 50 Managed company and ISO guidlines to be punitive to their staff.

Advice to Management

Actually become the company you say you are.