Gregg Distributors Reviews | Glassdoor

1.3
Gary Gregg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Run"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Red Deer, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Red Deer, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many, full time work for reasonable pay

Cons

Sycophantic management structure (yes men),
    CEO has severe psychological control and boundary issues (combine with the above),
    Employees are split into two castes (pets and peeons),
    Deceptive bonus system, extra time is not tracked nor adequate remuneration received. When I tracked mine and calculated my bonus for it, it was 1/3 minimum wage. Seriously, don't fall for the sales pitch around it. The point system can be manipulated and is, if you break a level that management says no one will break, they will move you to another pool even though your job duties are clearly in the pool you started in.
    If you want further insight, look up Hexspoor v. Gregg Distributors, this company never learned anything positive from the decision.
    Stay away from branches Gary has 100% stake in.

Advice to Management

Force Gary to retire, this is a top down management issue.

"Don't do it"

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Gregg Distributors full-time

Pros

Fair wage and mon-fri work week

Cons

They do not follow Alberta labour codes and standards. They do not pay u for over time and they expect u to toe the line with everyone whom works for free. Their quarterly bonus does not cover even a third of your overtime. Most of the pickers and drivers just stay quiet about the labour laws that are broken daily. No respect to employees. The first good job opening I can find I will be gone.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and pay them for every min of overtime they work. Your whole company hates working there except the managers and the lifers who just do not know any thing other than Gregg's.

"Run away"

Former Employee - Sales in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in outside sales for 5 years. The pay was good, and there were benefits, such as being able to attend hockey games, and the annual bonus was a nice touch. But that's about it.

Cons

Yes, the pay was good, but they changed the comp plan three times in the five years I was there. In the boom years, they would increase your base pay and reduce commissions. In the lean years, the boost the commissions and lower the base. In both cases, it's because that's "what the sale people want."

You are constantly monitored. To the point of having people follow you on sales calls.

Do not try to converse with employees in the warehouse. You will be reprimanded.

The micromanaging is awful .

Respectfully questioning decisions is met with scorn.

It was truly one the most awful employment experience I've ever had.

If you complain, it's because you're lazy and not a team player.

And when you leave, you will be discussed in sales meetings, with accusations levelled at you. you will be amazed at the things you apparently did while working there. A few years ago, they put out a list of "31 reasons why management do not trust sales people." Seriously. Way to boost morale.

Advice to Management

They'll never take it, but they should learn to trust their employees. Happy employees are more productive employees.

"cheap and 200% under 'supervision'"

Former Employee - Purchasing Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Purchasing Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time

Pros

Computer system is advanced; do everything under rules.

Cons

Too much. List a few here.
    1. Too many regulations. I agree with people doing work by certain rules, but too too much. You might offense one of them even going to washroom.
    2. Employees are like robots, doing their jobs individually. No smile, no joke, no happy coffee time in pantry. Everybody is scared of caught because of saying or doing something. Can you imagine nobody speaks a 'How are you' to you everyday? Just work work and work. You can commit more hours early in and later leave. A 3 mins late or appointment absence will take you quite a while to explain and fill documents.
    3. They pay you by minutes. The day I left was at 1:45 pm. They paid me .0.62 day. How excellent their math is! I have never seen a cheaper company like him. So pitty.

Advice to Management

Relatives and tough guys occupied all managers positions. You won't have the dream to be part of them. They eyeball their preference to you. Then you would be regarded as either a slave or a guy on the layoff list.

"Only work at Gregg's if you are desparate."

Former Employee - Counter Person in Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Counter Person in Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a living wage. christmas party and gifts. staff discounts. electric plug ins in parking lot for staff. Huge inventory. warm and dry. quarterly bonuses (dried up with the downturn)

Cons

no trust, employees are frisked at days end. 2 sets of rules, one for butt kissers, and one for real workers. no coffee during work. no music anywhere onsite. management rewards brown nosers with 'low maintenance'. stifling, top down, management. innovation not allowed. wages docked for any minutes late from breaks - wages never increased for coming back early. fakes customer discounts. no talking allowed amongst employees, unless you're among the chosen.

Advice to Management

It takes more than a living wage to satisfy all but the chosen zombie workers.

"Driver"

Former Employee - Driver in Langley, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Driver in Langley, BC (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors (More than a year)

Pros

3 weeks vacation to start

Cons

Salary, they expect you to work thru coffee breaks and lunches and even after hours with the promise of the extra time being reflected in your bonus. They dont actually record any of the extra time you work and the bonus doesnt even cover it.
    Lost time forms! You have to fill out a lost time form for any lost time occurance and then you are charged an extra 5 minutes for processing. The time is taken out of your 3 personal days allowed per year. If you miss 15 minutes you are charged 20 and then if you miss a coffee break due to work in the same day, you are still 20 minutes in the negative at the end of the day. Pretty stupid system.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees like people instead of a number.

"Absolutely shocking and painful at the same time"

Former Employee - Warehouse in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work hard you got rewarded but that's it. The salary are ok but no overtime. Very generous at Christmas parties

Cons

I OMG as I sit here and read all the comments I see this place has not changed since 1993 when I worked there. But it doesn't matter how many bad reviews you see they are always full staffed. I have not recommended this place for employment from the day I left it's that bad.

Advice to Management

Gary needs to move on and let some young blood fix what could of been a great company to work for.

8. "Flt driver"

Current Employee - FLT Driver in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - FLT Driver in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Gregg Distributors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Greggs. Good company work for and good people to work with.

Cons

I haven't got anything bad to say about the company

Advice to Management

None

"Scared for your job every day"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time

Pros

Decent wages. And some of the employees aren't to bad to be around. Just don't get caught talking while you are at work

Cons

You can show up an hour early everyday and start work and not be noticed. But show up 5 min late and you are docked. No overtime paid but you are expected to work more often. Managers watch the bathroom often and time you. Your breaks are timed. Don't get caught bieng 2 min over!!! Lots of people spy on you throughout the day. Constantly watched. Hidden cameras in certain areas. I never had anything to hide. But it's a Crappy feeling knowing you are never trusted. I was stressed almost every day I worked there. Wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. Unless you are part of the family you will not enjoy it.

Advice to Management

Not much point as most of them feel they are God like and above everyone else. Especially the owner!!!!

"Sycophant Heaven !!"

Pros

Good pay ! Good " Buy Into Gregg" program IF you can take the job for 10-20 yrs ...... you'll do well in retirement.

Cons

If you can handle the "culture" and the despot sitting in the big chair !

Advice to Management

No advice as he would not even consider taking it.