Grey San Francisco Reviews | Glassdoor

Grey San Francisco Reviews

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Focused Smaller Shop with Large Agency Ties"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grey San Francisco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people first and foremost are fantastic - stocked with talented, hard workers who all want to do great (and Famously Effective) advertising. The atmosphere is fun and welcoming - this agency is going places!

Cons

The client roster is a little slim, but expecting that to change in the next 6-18 months.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

"Two thumbs down"

I worked at Grey San Francisco full-time

Pros

Free snacks and drinks, location, Grey name, office space is okay

Cons

No culture, upper management is terrible

This office gave me the worst anxiety I've ever experienced in my entire life.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage.

3. "Do Not Be Fooled"

I worked at Grey San Francisco full-time

Pros

Grey NY makes good work.

Cons

Grey West (SF) makes bad work

Advice to Management

They know but didn't listen.

"The Most Dangerous Place to Work in Advertising"

Current Employee - Senior Strategist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Strategist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grey San Francisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Grey name...a nice work space...decent snacks.

Cons

This place now seems to be fading away and understandably so. They rarely pitched new business and when they did, they lost. To be fair, they had enough trouble holding on to the clients that were handed to them by their flagship office in NY. Management was a boys’ club, who hid in plain sights in a conference room female employees referred to as the “glass condom.” This behavior was best exemplified by the man-child and manic CCO who steamrolled and bullied both clients and creatives with unrealistic and hack-y ideas. A washed up and burnt out agency journeyman who desperately clung to exaggerated stories of his success. Multiple CMO/clients refused to work with him and yet Grey Global did nothing about it until their hand was forced when the place was hemorrhaging cash. While there are some decent and talented people here, their souls were crushed on an almost daily basis by a delusional management team now being met with their fate. RIP.

Advice to Management

I think you got the message.

"The reviews from 2 years ago are the most creative thing this shop has done..."

I worked at Grey San Francisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people, really smart, passionate, fun and hardworking.

Cons

None of those people mentioned above are in Senior Management. Failures mean nothing and don't inspire management to take a hard look at the reality of the situation which would allow them to confront and solve the problem. None seem to know anything about even the very basics of marketing, but know everything about 'self promotion.' ECD wants to be a film director so all projects have to help him achieve this pipe dream (thanks for the money, clients). Total boys' club (masculine fragility notwithstanding), no room for ideas outside senior management team. Abject and astonishing lack of self-awareness, common sense and time/space. Creative work is garbage, time management doesn't exist ("if you stay until 2am the night before, that means it's good!" seems to be the mentality). Lots of grandiose pontification with minimal execution or follow through. Boring.

Advice to Management

Wipe clean and start over. Hire leaders not juvenile yes-men too afraid to confront a difficult personality; actually shape and reform the culture. Actively manage.

"Clueless Leadership"

I worked at Grey San Francisco full-time

Pros

With the exception of the executive management team, for the most part the employees are great, hard working individuals who care about their work.

Cons

Instead of inspiring and motivating their employees, executive management attempts to tear down your confidence and self-esteem until you no longer believe in yourself. This happens across all departments and all levels of staff.

Advice to Management

It's no use to provide advice to management, because it won't be listened to.

"5 star reviews are clearly from exec leadership. One star is generous."

I worked at Grey San Francisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The food nearby is decent and the "worker bees" are quality people, but they're led by idiots who think they're the smartest people in the business.

Cons

They cannot keep any rare new business wins for more than a year. The account management leadership is atrocious and has the agency giving away vast amount of work for free. That deficiency is only topped by the absolute farce of a chief creative officer who continually tries to recycle old ideas and flip-flops on his creative teams day-to-day about the direction he'd like them to follow.

Advice to Management

Find new careers

"Recent reviews don't reflect the agency"

Former Employee - Account in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Grey San Francisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location in the city, some very talented colleagues.

Cons

Poor management overall, high turnover rate of employees, limited clients, sometimes short staffed.

Advice to Management

Please work harder on valuing your employees so they stick around longer.

"Feels like things are headed in the right direction"

I have been working at Grey San Francisco full-time

Pros

The people - the vast majority of people here are driven to do great work and have a great time doing it. The new office space has already created a better vibe among employees. Having both creative and media working together results in unique campaigns.

Cons

The small client roster can limit opportunities within the agency, but growing the client base seems to be management's #1 priority.

Advice to Management

More transparency, frequent updates about the state of the agency would help foster a stronger sense of ownership among employees.

10. "On the Rise!"

Current Employee - Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grey San Francisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of this agency is that we're a small and nimble company in SF, where work is appreciate by all Greytians and clients. We're an innovative bunch that tries our best to maximize on creative ideas that are up and coming. I truly believe that we strive to be "famously effective."

Cons

You HAVE to speak up. For those of you that get scared easily, this isn't the place for you. Everyone is encouraged to express their opinions to peers and upper management.

Advice to Management

Continue to acknowledge your minions (hehe) because that fuels us to work harder and strive to do the best. Thanks for giving us such awesome opportunities.