Greyhound Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Greyhound President and CEO Dave Leach
Dave Leach

Pros
  • Good pay good benefits very profesional (in 8 reviews)

• meeting people and give them the best I can as far as customer service (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Various work hours due to 24 hour operating & away from home alot (in 4 reviews)

• high stress due to management caring MORE about ontime performance & freight rather than customer service (in 6 reviews)

1. "driver"

Current Employee - Bus Operator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Bus Operator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Greyhound full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good money only when driving regular run

Cons

have to constantly chase your money every dime. payroll takes up to 30 days to pay u. have to wait 5 years out of Vegas to get a permanent run LA Chicago and big cities 10 years plus, no days off work straight 7 days no life on the extra board driver 24/7 on call hold u at other cities for days not good management not good with a person with family

Advice to Management

work with people give them their days off u guys go home and no one blows the phone if people call sick let them breathe and enjoy their day off since u guys dont allow to take them and stop the chasing of money it should be automatically

"Nepotism is real here, if you are Latino your family gets to work for greyhound."

Current Employee - Motor Coach Operator in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Motor Coach Operator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Greyhound full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have the opportunity to make really good money. You get to travel to distant US lands as you make money.

Cons

You will never have time for anyone but greyhound. They require everything you got to muster but they give you very little in return. The attitude "you should be happy to as much as get a paycheck" has spread like a plague.

Advice to Management

You should treat your employees more like human beings and not machines. There is very little support that is rendered to your drivers. When something goes wrong the head space of "the driver is at fault" without a proper investigation is ridiculous. If there was more unity and less division we would flourish like most companies. Good communication is the key to any successful relationship, and it is true poor communication corrupts good manners. I loved my job when I first started but in the recent months I have been searching for other employment because my hard work is truly never recognized.

Most of all we need more diversity on the west coast.

3. "Lead Ticket Agent"

Former Employee - Lead Ticket Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Ticket Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Greyhound (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really don't have much positive. They gave lunch but often had to work during them. They were on a bus route to get there.

Cons

Awful to employees, Pass the buck for everything, way to much expected for terrible pay.

Advice to Management

Start worrying more about employees and customers rather than worrying about impressing higher management.. Very little praise or acknowledgement but constant negative feedback. Change to more of a team driven style rather than militaristic rank style of management.

"avoid"

Current Employee - A Driver in New York, NY
    Current Employee - A Driver in New York, NY

I have been working at Greyhound (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the co worker are great folks, I am honnered to have worked and know them

Cons

Never seen a company steal wages from its employee, you do a lot of work on a daily basis for free. Managment and the union are in bed together and both are total incompetent idiots

Advice to Management

Drivers make you or brake you, treat you drivers right and pay them for work they perform.

"Worst place to work at"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

Free train pass for employees

Cons

The management is horrible. They fire employees who have worked for many years in an hour notice. They try to avoid paying compensation by firing instead of going for cheap labour. Upper Management has no clue what the lower level people are doing and they don't care.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and let the company rot up

7. "Dispatch supervisor / Trainer"

Former Employee - Dispatch Supervisor II in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Dispatch Supervisor II in Dallas, TX

I worked at Greyhound full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

loyal employees and good ins

Cons

Poorly managed and general manager demonstrates Favortisim too much personal mixed with professional.Management is Lazy

Advice to Management

QUIT , The Employess may actually have chance of better management improving overall operation.

"Terrible Company, make way for Megabus to take away business"

Current Employee - Bus Driver in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Bus Driver in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Greyhound full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't know, I will have to get back with this one.

Cons

Drivers are always chasing their own money. OSC dispatch is always stealing money away from drivers. OEAD Payroll is always fighting hard to not paying the drivers the money that is owed to them.

Advice to Management

Please resign!!!

"Horrible Experience"

Former Employee - Motorcoach Operator in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Motorcoach Operator in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

- You get to drive a bus (if you like them, it is a pro)

- Excellent training program (as far as customer service training, interacting with persons with disabilities, and learning how to maneuver the bus)

- Rewarding feeling when passengers tell you that you did a good job

- No superior standing over you for majority of the day

- Free food/drinks at terminals and some rest stops

Cons

- Cannot get enough sleep to safely operate the bus (5 -6hr) even though they tell you that you will get adequate time to rest (They will call you back to work 8 hours of being away from work at times (9 hours on average); 1hr to get home - 8 hours left, 1 hour to get back to work - 7 hours left, 30 mins to 1 hr to get ready for work, 6.5-6 hours left, 30- minutes to unwind - 6 hrs left, 20 minutes to fall asleep - 5.5 hours left to sleep! <- and that's if you don't live too far away from the garage)

- The extra board is stupid and an outdated way of scheduling which creates unpredictable work assignments causing lack of sleep and inability to prepare for routes beforehand; it also contributes to sleep deprivation

- You have to play games with dispatch to get your 1 day out of 7 off from work (it really should be 2 days considering the sleep deprivation)

- The appalling displays of poor customer service, rude, and downright mean-spirited behavior from terminal workers, fellow bus drivers, and supervisors is enough to make you embarrassed to where the Greyhound uniform

- Buses are raggedy and have a bad turning radius except for Prevost X3 which is almost exclusively on the east coast and "important cities"; don't ever drive 102-DL3 with Zf transmission (so terrible going into loading slip on incline!)

- The garage has an unorganized method of passing out buses; buses are either late, dirty, or unacceptable for the passengers

- They claim that they are shorthanded and that they don't have workers, however they have multiple workers spread out sitting up in foreign terminal cities doing nothing!

- They have a drive cam on the bus so that they blame you if you hit a deer -_-

- The Greyhound safety men are "out to get you" (they should be concerned about the lack of sleep drivers have but what evs)

- The department of transportation/ state troopers are out to get you too

- Extremely weak union even though they pretend to be so tough (they let the abuse from dispatch/Greyhound happen to drivers)

Advice to Management

I feel as though this comment is pointless as the working conditions have probably been this way for a LONG time. Being a driver for Greyhound is unnecessarily hard; this is why you are desperate for drivers, the only drivers that you can get are desperate to work ANYWHERE, and that is why excellent employees like me wont stay (I don't mean to brag, but all of my passengers acknowledged that I was awesome :D )

There should be at least 12 hours of rest between work assignments to combat fatigue.

The extra-board could be modulated in a way that is more predictable and accommodating for drivers (it can be done easily...)

All (or most) of the supervisors, mean drivers, and mean terminal employees need to be fired. One driver left this passenger because she/he didn't want to put their suitcase under the bus (she/he wanted it behind the driver seat). That passenger explained that she/he was going to a funeral and broke down in tears; the bus driver didn't even care! <- Things like that should not be the status quo at Greyhound.

"ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE"

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Greyhound full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If there were any pros to this place, i have never found any. Well job related Ones anyway.

Cons

The nightmare begins almost immediately, if yoy work hard you will more than likely get one day off. They will call you in on that day too, there is no saying no. if you dont answer they will keep calling even at 4am regardless if you have kids. Management is totally disorganized, coworkers will throw you under the bus, you will get calls regarding events that happened when you weren't there. Impromptu meetings, if you aint there you will not get the memo.

Advice to Management

fire everyone and start over.

"Good opportunity for Tenure....if you can stand it that long. HORRIBLE company"

Current Employee - Digital Customer Service in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Customer Service in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Greyhound full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to have a long tenure with a 100 year old company, Free bus travel (if you can use it...it takes days and days to get anywhere on a bus) Company gives free DART passes for corporate employees living in Dallas Ft. Worth, Good people to work with

Cons

Numerous cons. For starters, the company's achillies heal is it's fare and booking software. It was written in 1989 (no not making this up) Because of this archaic software, Greyhound can not give a decent web site experience, use electronic tickets, can not tell customers (or employees) where busses are. This company is stuck in the late 80's in technology, and upper management is fighting tooth and nail to upgrade it. There is a "good ol Boy network here. Many complacent mangers who are lazy, drivers are rude to passengers, mis communication between all departments (one had does not know what the other is doing...and there are ALOT of hands in the company), Employees in the field who do not use the bags system properly, and therefore customer's bags become "missing". Company is very money poor and will not spend any cash to help fix these issues. They constantly try to cut corners and make one person do the job of 2 or even 3. Customer service is so over worked, they are burned out. The old timers go around saying "we are an icon in the travel industry" when clearly we are a joke. And the one I find the most sickening "only 1 percent of our customers complain" The arrogance here is just mind boggling (yes I am looking for another job and will be leaving here as soon as I find one)

Advice to Management

Advice to Firstgroup America, the parent company would be fire everyone and start over from scratch. It's time forward, modern thinkers get into the game and bring this company out of the dark ages and into the 21st century. We have old managers who still have visions of the glory days of Greyhound and think all is well. All is NOT well. Just listen to your passengers who are angry, listen to your disgruntle employees who are miserable, and make some real changes. GET RID OF TRIPS and bring in a modern web based booking program we can actually USE. Get a decent CRM for our customer service team. Get working GPS in the buses so ALL EMPLOYEES both in the customer service team, and in the field know where a bus is. Hold a mass retraining class on all policies (and think about changing the non customer service friendly policies to more customer friendly ones) empower your employees to make decisions outside of the box to aid in the customer, and not make them angry......I can go on, but I am just talking to a brick wall.