Greystar Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great Benefits, Time Off & Chance to Promote"

Former Employee - Leasing Professional in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Leasing Professional in Seattle, WA

I worked at Greystar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are outstanding, the company pays your health insurance for you and the rest of the options are inexpensive! Paid Holidays, Employee Discount of 20% off rent if you live/work in the same building (based on budget).

Cons

Greystar is the largest management company and with that doesn't always mean it's the best. Communication failures are common at properties based on my experience and it can make your job very difficult. It also depends on what property you work for as they are all mostly owned by different ownership and ran really different!

Advice to Management

Improve communication and require Regional Managers to interview team members once every 6 months to determine needs at the property. Also raise the 20% discount to 25% or 30%. Most of the team members getting this discount are also required to be on call overnight and often work and answer calls without getting paid for all of the time spent.

2. "Great company to work for!"

I have been working at Greystar full-time

Pros

Greystar truly takes care of their people and make it a point to go above and beyond on benefits, communication, events, etc.

Cons

Movement is the nature of the game in multi-family. There is consistent movement which can prove great opportunities for some or concerns for others.

Advice to Management

Maintain the consistent communication flow with all team members. With Greystar growing so rapidly, it is important now more than ever to keep all team members on board!

3. "Two thumbs up!"

I have been working at Greystar full-time

Pros

Lots of room for growth. Sr. Leadership is very supportive of training and growth.

Cons

Compensation could be more competitive.

4. "Love working for Greystar!"

I have been working at Greystar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with excellent benefits. Promotes good work life balance and cares about their employees

Cons

No cons that I have come across

5. "Assistant Community Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Katy, TX

I have been working at Greystar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am a current employee of our great company Greystar. I have worked at the same property with Greystar for 2.5 years. I was recently transferred to another community and below is my feedback with my previous property.
     I know that feedback is important to Greystar, not only from a resident stand point but also from an Employees. After all, employees are what make Greystar so great.
     It has been my sincerest pleasure working with such wonderful people. I have been so blessed by the experience and by the lives we touch every day in what we do. Working with this staff and these regionals has been a wonderful experience and has helped me grow in ways I never knew possible. We have built a great community from the ground up and more importantly we did it as a team. Sometimes change can be difficult and although it was difficult to leave, I am ready and willing for my new challenge and happily accept. Furthermore, how are we expected to grow in strength and knowledge if we aren't tested?
    I am blessed to be part of such a rewarding company.

Cons

Every company has it's challenges, it's how you react that makes the difference.

6. "Great Regional, Bad Owners"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Greystar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My Regional Melissa Caruso was my saving grace and made my experience at Greystar great. Since I had a supportive Regional getting help and assistance was readily available whenever I needed it. She also made sure I was supported but let me have control of my work so I never felt micromanaged which was perfect for me.

Cons

Third party managing is always difficult but the owners of my property got away with murder and it was a nightmare working for them. Also not every Regional or Director is as great as Melissa. In the past, I worked for other Regionals and some play favorites, micromanage and gossip so much. I was lucky to get Melissa at the end of my career with Greystar.

Advice to Management

Have standards of what the owners of property can and cannot do. Also try to have more managers like Melissa since that helped me stay longer at Greystar, if I had one of the other Regionals I might of left awhile ago.

7. "Bigger Isn't Always Better"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Greystar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

on-site team members, online training modules/classes, in-person classes, leadership courses, free health premiums after 5 years tenure

Cons

lack of support from senior leadership, lack of engagement with on-site teams from leadership, dishonesty, leadership not adhering to company values

Advice to Management

Greystar's leadership in the Portland office is severely lacking, and would be much more effective if those in leadership positions were more dedicated to the success of their on site teams. More site visits and time spent with team members to build a better working relationship and increase personal connection. Increase pay across the board to be competitive with other management companies; this would help prevent having so many positions open all the time. Greystar's on site teams are focused on the company culture and values - those in the leadership office should be as intently focused on the same.

8. "Not exactly what they appear to be"

Current Employee - Leasing Professional in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Leasing Professional in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Greystar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of social media presence. Very charitable company

Cons

Property Managers who leave to go home with an office full of people waiting to be helped and then chew you out for having over time. Managers who don't help with anything that they feel is beneath them. Not taking the time to actually go over any of the SOP's but just expecting their new staff to automatically know everything immediately. Managers who say "I've questioned if I made the right choice in hiring you" "What part of this don't you understand?" "Where you actually leasing where you came from or were you just customer service"

Advice to Management

Take the time to actually TRAIN your Leasing Staff. Don't just rely on the Assistant Manager. Be patient with them. The basics of the job are the same everywhere you go, but POLICIES and PROCEDURES change from company to company. Actually SUPPORT YOUR TEAM-don't just tell them that you're there to support them and then always have your office door shut. Also, snide comments about how "if you're not promoted within 6 months, you never will be" have NO PLACE in a professional office

9. "cm"

I have been working at Greystar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great co-workers and work ethics

Cons

Can not seem to move up

10. "Development"

I worked at Greystar full-time

Pros

Top multifamily developer in US and globally, high growth.

Cons

With growth, things have changed, more reporting and culture becoming more corporate. Solid company to work for.