Greystone &Co Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Absolutely Amazing Employer"

Current Employee - Senior Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Greystone &Co full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The charitable vision of this company is the best I've ever seen.

Cons

Long hours, some politicking to get ahead. Some confusion about goals for employees on the front lines.

Advice to Management

Publicize the amazing good works more.

2. "IT"

I have been working at Greystone &Co full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Good team , listen to ideas even if they are not implemented

Cons

Very reactive company. Wish for them to be proactive

"Rife with nepotism, dishonesty and confusion"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Greystone &Co full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was paid fairly but this can also be seen as a con because it was the excuse used to let me go within several months of my start after recruiting me from another company. I suspect that the top dog in my unit needed a scapegoat for some difficulties experienced on my projects but that was never expressed to me.

Cons

Politics and extreme dishonesty practiced regularly. If you're not part of the old boys' network, you will not be happy here. The unit I worked in was confused and led poorly. Project priorities were constantly changed, management offered no real support and only knew how to manage by pushing, not understanding and resolving obstacles. Very bland, corporate culture that likes to bludgeon you to death about its core values (entrepreneurial, integrity, caring, excellence) but the leaders in my unit came nowhere near adhering to integrity and caring. I'm not sure how you measure the other two but these individuals wouldn't measure up anyway. This particular manager - who is very close to the top of the corporate pyramid - was in the habit of extreme favoritism for a few and regular, unfair public eviscerations of everyone else. To the point where he was avoided by his lieutenants and outside contractors. His unit had become a revolving door of talent and his right hand man is spineless; he stood by silently and let his direct reports fall on the sword during these aforementioned public eviscerations.

Advice to Management

Choose your upper management wisely, making sure they aren't just competent but also reflect your values

4. "Bad, stressful"

I worked at Greystone &Co full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay great, hours fine. Smart workforce.

Cons

Talented, intelligent leaders frequently told to leave
    Managers in a machiavellian competition with their peers and those below them, belittling others due to insecurity.
    Managers use fierce tactics to put you in your place if you are ambitious.
    A lot of smart and capable people wind up sacked. The ones that fit in do their jobs and never ask for anything. Hopeless if you strive for more.

Advice to Management

Hire better managers externally that will focus on those below them, not above them.

5. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Greystone &Co full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly work environment for the most part
    Benefits are decent

Cons

Mangement tends to pass blame on those they oversee to protect themselves
    Not clear on expectations of employees
    Played favorites

Advice to Management

Be more organized

6. "Good Company"

Pros

Good company wth good corporate culture. The dynamic is great and teammates are supportive of each other.

Cons

There are no obvious cons.

"awful"

Former Employee - Former Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Former Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

training, exposure to real estate markets

Cons

nepotism
    salary
    bonus, you have to ask for a bonus and raise, they dont give you lump sum, amortized over the year to keep you from leaving

Advice to Management

stop hiring your familiy

"Property Manager"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Greystone &Co (More than a year)

Pros

The attitude of the team after my arrival as Property Manager was very good, and they were true professionals. The attitude at the corporate office was overall satisfactory, although like any corporate office, collaboration was limited to the direction of upper management, and many times onsite teams aren't exactly sure where they're going - but there was normally support available at the corporate level. AP, Accounting were standouts at corporate. The Corporate Facilities Director was outstanding in supporting the onsite teams. Overall teamwork environment was above average. The company is refocusing on smaller, newer tax credit properties and has placed experienced leadership for the acquisition and growth. I expect good things. Overall compensation (money package) was high average, benefits were ok but expensive, which is a trend of course. That said, the medical benefits could use more choice and options.

Cons

The base portfolio in Indianapolis was affordable housing, which can be difficult. As a result there was high turnover. High turnover at corporate senior leadership levels. This led to some misdirection and instability for a period of time in 2015. There had been some issues with AP and vendors, but with the arrival of the new VP of Operations in mid 2015, that backlog was cleared and vendor relations were much better. Unfortunately the base portfolio was sold in early 2016.

Advice to Management

Be sure to provide training to new hires, and allow that to season with follow up - and in the interim, ease up a bit on micromanagement. This will allow your onsite teams to gel, and function as a team.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Loan Servicing in Warrenton, VA
    Current Employee - Loan Servicing in Warrenton, VA

I have been working at Greystone &Co full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company really takes care of its employees, great people, free lunches or treats each month, and the company is big on charity.

Cons

There are not too many cons, but maybe pay could be more competitive and more health plan options could be available.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Loan Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Loan Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

Greystone fosters career and personal development. The people and the culture are something I look to grow with on a daily basis.

Cons

People sometimes forget their role and sometimes roles are not clear cut. I havent had any negative experiences thus far.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing both internally and externally. Business is going well and will continue if added employees embrace Greystone as a whole.