Griffin Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Dave Owens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun Place at times. Great Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Griffin Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

International Travel, Benefits, 401k, Free Devices, Free Lunch on Fridays, Flexible Schedule, Internal Advancement

Cons

Divided environment, lot's of office gossip, too many people that didn't know their role (myself included), No sense of team, toxic culture at times

Advice to Management

As I understand it has all come close to an end at this point. I gave my advice many times while I was at the company. Therefore there is no need for written advice in this section.

The CEO was Carl Hansen and he gets the thumbs down, not Dave Owens. Although Dave Owens never did much for the company either.

"Good Old Boys Club"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Griffin Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits package, flexibility with scheduling, free products, etc.

Cons

Quality of products has continued to decline, no longer producing innovative new products, poor leadership, little to no advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Griffin was a great place to work from 2011-2014. The culture was young, innovative and fun. We made products that people were excited about and employees were happy to be part of the team. The company was growing extremely fast and definitely expanded too quickly. Things really hit the fan in 2015 as the company went through tough financial times -- largely due to overspending and poor decision making by leadership. Managers were constantly coming and going. I had 6 different supervisors in 5 years -- only 1 who was actually qualified and knew how to lead a team. There were several rounds of layoffs in 2015 & 2016. Employee morale was at an all-time low. Things seem to have only worsened since Incipio Group acquired Griffin. There is no job security at this company. Leadership promises one thing -- "your jobs are secure, there will be no more layoffs, you are critical to this company's success, etc" -- and then began cleaning house and laying off countless employees only weeks later. I found it despicable that every sales employee that was let go was a minority or woman. Not sure how HR allowed that to happen. Not one white male in Sales was laid off -- even though many of them had the lowest sales numbers in the department.

Advice to management: Don't make promises you do not intend to keep. Stop with the "good old boys" mentality -- that's partly what killed this company's success in the first place. Don't make knee-jerk decisions. Focus on producing new products that are innovative -- I still follow the company and have yet to see anything new developed in more than a year. Don't blatantly lie to employees.

"Layoff of the year"

I worked at Griffin Technology full-time

Pros

It's a great place to work when incipio isn't involved.

Cons

They played off the entire company and is closing their doors within the year. They kept a handful until April. Their severance package is a joke. It's only half a check.

"Cut Throat Directors - Managment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Griffin Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Anyone becomes a Director or Manager.

Long hair, skinny jeans and being a musician will get you in a Senior Management position faster.

Cons

Working for paranoid Directors from California

Advice to Management

Clean house - Hire new Senior Management

"Love this place!"

I have been working at Griffin Technology (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, definitely the people. Everyone is friendly, fun and creative. If you want somewhere where you can make a difference every day but in a laid back atmosphere, this is the place to work. Dress is casual. You can work out on the front or back porch in the sunshine with your laptop. Don't get me wrong, its fast paced and challenging but everyone is there to help you when you need it. And the product is so exciting.

Cons

The biggest con for me has been working with international people with the time difference. It sometimes means getting up early in the morning to check my emails and some conference calls later in the day. It is all well worth it though.

6. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Griffin Technology (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, awesome people

Cons

Slow moving, shrinking sales, unknown future

Advice to Management

Get more leadership

"Interesting and Inspirational; Lacking Professional Rigor"

I worked at Griffin Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom and flexibility for creativity, in appropriate roles. Interesting work with a diverse group of smart, fun people.

Cons

Senior leadership seemed to lack basic business sense, and the decisions made regarding product, manufacturing, and, most glaringly, marketing, were often puzzling. Those paying attention were not surprised when the company faltered.

Advice to Management

Professional management is essential to operating and maintaining a successful business.

"Sales"

I worked at Griffin Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has a startup mentality and there is potential for growth

Cons

Growing pains. Lack of management across the board. There is no direction.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better by providing yearly reviews

"Past its Prime"

Pros

Good place to get an entry level position in management (wink-wink ).

Cons

The top level management at Griffin has been consistently irresponsible. The CEO is rarely present. He is known to randomly show up at work to cancel projects, often because they "suck".

Irrational thought and sociopathic behavior are trickle down virtues at this company. Recent top management include a former bartender with racist ringtones, a man who thinks he's Steve Jobs, and a failed business partner who really wants to outsource your job.

There is no strategy for growth management or accountability. If there is a failure in the infrastructure, no effort is made to discern how it occurred. People are hired to correct these deficiencies without any understanding as to what the underlying problem actually is. As a result, Griffin becomes ridiculously overstaffed within a couple of years and mass layoffs ensue. The most recent layoff was in December 2015 and resulted in more than 130 layoffs in the Nashville headquarters, which was roughly 75% of the workforce there.

Griffin loves to outsource jobs to China! Creative professionals and engineers can look forward to having three or four managers for each project, in addition to the workforce in China that views your presence as unnecessary. Griffin recently fired their entire engineering department except for one.

All humor aside (excepting that everything written here is true), professionals will find Griffin maddeningly frustrating. Most of the true talent left the company long ago. Knowledge, ethics and experience will not take you far. Attending meetings, telling other people how to execute their degree earned knowledge, and sniping at your co-workers will probably earn you advancement.

Your experience at Griffin will probably, most definitely "suck".

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what to say, but I'm pretty sure we need to have a meeting about it.

"Please beware!!!"

I worked at Griffin Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loose place to work... No time clock... Free accessories

Cons

Acquired by incipio group (horrible company -- don't be fooled), three layoffs in a year, new company is very flat with extremely out of touch VPs, zero direction, reactive company, etc. Cons far exceed pros. Run!!!!

Advice to Management

There are no words that can save this company... It rolls down hill!