Grinnell Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Larry Jansen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Corporate Claim Auditor"

I worked at Grinnell Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and a great leader, Larry Jansen. He will retire in December but the next CEO is equally experienced and honest!

Cons

Not enough diversity in management!

Advice to Management

None

2. "Grinnell Mutual"

I worked at Grinnell Mutual full-time

Pros

great teamwork and community atmoshpere

Cons

small company with small vision

Advice to Management

look outward

3. "Not your typical corporate employer"

I have been working at Grinnell Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family atmosphere, excellent benefits, fair and flexible work schedule with emphasis on quality task accomplishment vs hours worked, employees behave like normal good people not uptight problem creators, company sponsored events that are actually real fun not pretend fun, my department head and supervisors are real people that are easy to work for and understand the need for balance of work/family, my superiors are also direct with me and don't try to b.s. me which I highly value, the company supplies everything needed for a productive home office, a very impressive cafeteria (think of a food court in a new mall) with multiple food choices that change everyday!

Cons

I don't have any at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep treating us like you are and watch us grow!

4. "Not answering"

Current Employee - Not Answering in Grinnell, IA
    Current Employee - Not Answering in Grinnell, IA

I have been working at Grinnell Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Grinnell Mutual provides an amazing benefit package, a family friendly work environment and a competitive wage. I can't imagine working elsewhere.

Cons

With the amazing staff we currently have, promotions are sometimes hard to obtain.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! We are headed to the top!

5. "Field adjuster"

I have been working at Grinnell Mutual (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most management style is non micro, however there are one or two.

Work with great mutual people

Vacation requests always approved

Cons

The company is growing but not efficiently staffing for this growth. Expecting your adjusters to drive 4 hours one way for a claim is outlandish. No consideration for work life. VP listened to complaints about it and told all adjusters to basically suck it up.

No monetary consideration when pulled to work other areas when a catastrophic event occurs. There is no official Catastrophe team so when one area in the country gets hit, everyone is pulled from their area to work in other states. Again no consideration for people with families and how they will be able to get their families to school/daycare, etc. Not everyone has a grandparent or guardian to help out.

Nepotism runs rapid at this place. No postings for positions - just an email saying that someone has been promoted. It's who you know and not about how hard someone has worked for these promotions. So little opportunity for advancement unless you are in with the good ole boys.

Advice to Management

Staff effectively and efficiently.

Consider work life or the turnover is going to greatly bite the company in the butt. The company will lose half their trained, skilled, knowledgeable staff if they keep going the way they are.

Get a Catastrophe team put together. 12 people to work these events when they occur and when their is no storm, have them do inspections for the mutuals.

Post positions and stop the nepotism. Everyone should have a fair shot at positions.

6. "Best insurance company in Iowa to work for. By far."

Current Employee - Property Large Loss Specialist
    Current Employee - Property Large Loss Specialist

I have been working at Grinnell Mutual full-time

Pros

-Forward thinking company.
    -Positive workplace culture.
    -Company looking into letting more employees work in the Des Moines area vs commuting to Grinnell.
    - Great CEO. Larry Jansen is a great leader.
    -True team work environment; all employees help one another regardless of function
    -Changes being made very quickly to corporate infrastructure.
    -Larry will give special perks throughout the year like jeans days, etc.
    -Great mid level management.
    -Cash bonus based on company performance in February and Xmas bonus.
    -Health insurance discounts if you complete health screening.
    -1 hr for exercise allowed during the workday.
    -Compensation is fair.

Cons

-IT support for field personnel is limited at best.
    -Giving feedback in large meetings for field personnel is hard to do.
    - Fleet Program - you are charged $.54/mile for personal miles put on your company truck.

Advice to Management

-Change the company vehicle mileage program. Do away with $.54/mile and consider this part of our compensation package. Employees still track personal mileage and report this as income on taxes. This can be a deal breaker when recruiting field employees.
    -That is my only area of concern. Everything else is great at GMRC.

7. "Not my cup of tea"

Pros

One of the biggest employers in Grinnell, Iowa. A lot of people there worked in the company for more than 10 years. Some are employed there for more than 20 years. This company had been recognized as one of the best employer in Iowa not ones and not twice. As far as I know this company routinely has an "A" rating as a re-insurer. Larry Jansen himself appeared to be the most dynamic person on site.

Cons

Cannot say much about professional services provided by the company. Internally - very conservative, to the point of being lethargic. Technologically - traditional to the point of being stagnant. Most homogeneous place I ever worked at, as well as most nepotistic. All but two advanced IT workers that I had professional respect for left before me.

Advice to Management

Last century infrastructure and luck of technological development would eventually hurt any business, regardless of professional qualities or the people providing an essential services.

8. "Going downhill fast"

I have been working at Grinnell Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are nice. They are good about providing education. They have great frills for benefits, but the basics that provide financial security are missing and many of us are spending too many hours at our desks to utilize the frills like free health classes.

Cons

They expect the nice people and the frills like a health center, free ice cream, to make up for low pay, pay and promotions are based on who likes you, not your work performance (an excellent review will get you kind words but not much of a pay differential.) No link between performance and education and pay and promotion opportunity.

Advice to Management

After several record-breaking years it is a real kick in the teeth to the people who made those records for you to double their out-of-pocket health expenses with very little warning.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grinnell, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grinnell, IA

I have been working at Grinnell Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good benefits, cafeteria on site, will pay for future education as well as give you time at work to study.

Cons

Grinnell is avery small town, The company seems to be set in the old ways. Older employee base, not too many employees under 35.

Advice to Management

Recruit younger talent. The workforce at GMRC is starting to get fairly old and there is a lot of talent in the younger generation.

10. "Analyst"

Pros

Great Work environment, Everyone around you is always willing to help

Cons

Seem to be set in older ways and seem to not want to change, small town