Grocery Outlet Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 8, 2019

3.5
Eric Lindberg/ MacGregor Read

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay, Schedule, Friendly Employees, Work Environment" (in 13 reviews)

• "office politics’ going on, but leaders who value hard work and recognize talent" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "No benefits and often times understaffed" (in 17 reviews)

• "And who in this state can survive on minimum wage" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Don't Let Grocery Outlet Be a Missed Connection!"

I have been working at Grocery Outlet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Is it cheesy if I say everything?

Truly though, from my very first interaction - with who I can only describe as the most diligent, personable, and real recruiter I've ever met - through my very enjoyable and expedited interview process with my amazing team, Grocery Outlet continues to amaze!

Everyone you encounter is so welcoming and genuinely happy to meet you. It's clear from day one that overall, the company has very low ego; we're all interested in collective success and operate with the "one team, one dream" mindset. In my first few weeks, I kept thinking that the other shoe HAS to drop, but it hasn't, and I still find myself experiencing surprise and delight regularly.

The office is very surprising and not what I expected when I came onsite for my interviews. Open-concept, modern looking with a gym, private showers, multiple places for meetings (private and open) and tons and tons of buyer samples (yum!) I think there are only one or two offices in the whole building, and they are designated for confidential functions only. It's like, "Executives: They're Just Like Us!" (CEO and Vice Chairman sit in the open-concept, too). It's great!

There is a healthy mix of tenure that is a constant reminder that the company is invested in hiring and retaining the right people and propelling them to grow successful careers here. There are so many examples of working from the ground up, and having experience in several different areas of the business, creating new roles for teams to fill needs and expand reach - very encouraging! This doesn't mean that we hire based on talent alone - everyone shares the same level of scrutiny around finding the right cultural fit, and it shows!

I am also loving how humble the culture is and how the structure is relatively flat. The level of bureaucracy and political red tape I experienced at my previous companies (large corporate retailers) was often a source of extreme stress and very low job satisfaction. From leaders stifling creativity and acting as blockers, to creating a CYA culture of fear of taking accountability. At GO, this isn't the case - I am regularly reminded of this based on the amount of runway I was given immediately, how mistakes are not treated like the end of the world, how quickly decisions are made, how much trust leaders have in their people, and how collaborative everyone is, even at the executive level.

All in all, I am so glad that I didn't allow Grocery Outlet to become a missed connection in my job search. I thought I knew what I wanted and where I wanted to be, but I was so, so wrong. I am now at a fabulous company full of amazing and hard-working people, and in a new role that is mine to shape and build out and grow. It's the best decision I've made in a long, long time! This is truly a hidden gem of a company and a real diamond in the rough!

Cons

The company has operated like a small company for a long time and sometimes documentation and structure around processes isn't the best and you have to learn from one or more people to get the full picture. Also, when you have a job that has touch-points with multiple departments and functions, it can be a little overwhelming to figure out who does what, etc. Fortunately, everyone is super open and willing to help, so you aren't ever stuck!

Advice to Management

Make sure that cultural fit is always at the top of the list when bringing in new employees to preserve that Grocery Outlet secret sauce. We are growing very quickly and it would be all too easy to fall into a pattern of "get butts in seats" so that work can be done, but that's a practice that becomes a culture-killer.

Mar 13, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grocery Outlet. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the hiring process. We look forward to you helping us preserve our "secret sauce"! Watch out for those... More

2. "Great Experience"

I worked at Grocery Outlet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility.
    All stores are independently owned

Cons

Some owners aren't the best at scheduling

3. "Easy going staff and management, clean store"

Former Employee - Cashier in New Holland, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in New Holland, PA

I worked at Grocery Outlet part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, nice coworkers, nice customers

Cons

Does not pay very well

Mar 27, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience. As you know, Grocery Outlet stores are independently owned and operated. I would encourage you to share your feedback with the store owner.

4. "Great culture, Great people, Great care"

Current Employee - Operation Lead Administrator in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Operation Lead Administrator in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Grocery Outlet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture is a bit similar to Startup. Collaborative, Open communication, positive influence to the community, huge effort to help others. On boarding process is top notch. HR team is helpful and personal.

Cons

None to think of yet.

Advice to Management

*Double Thumbs Up.

Mar 27, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are so glad to hear you have enjoyed your time with us!

5. "Pleasant Environment"

I have been working at Grocery Outlet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Shows a sincere interest in employees and the solutions to their problems.
    Provides continuous coaching, lends support and guidance.

Cons

None at this time

Mar 27, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience!

6. "Great company!"

I have been working at Grocery Outlet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive experience starting with the interview process and continues everyday that I walk through the doors of our Emeryville office. Amazing boss that allows me to truly own my department but always available when needed. Everyone is super friendly and welcoming. Grocery Outlet is growing at a fast pace and I'm happy to be along for the ride.

Cons

No cons in my book.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the amazing culture and value the people that embrace it!

Mar 27, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are so glad you believe in our company culture. Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

7. "Great Company to work for!"

I have been working at Grocery Outlet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rapidly growing, successful, Friendly environment, lots of opportunities, but at the same time you could balance life & work.

Cons

At times you feel some growing pain which comes with the territory.

Mar 13, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grocery Outlet. We are so glad that you are able to find a healthy work life balance. Thank you for your 10+ years of service!

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Help Desk Support Specialist in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Support Specialist in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Grocery Outlet part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has great, friendly employees!

Cons

The technology may not be the most up-to-date.

Mar 13, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grocery Outlet!

9. "Good compant, hard to work with people who don't care"

Former Employee - Freight
    Former Employee - Freight

I worked at Grocery Outlet full-time

Pros

Free to rearrange or move product when needed
    Free to express self to management

Cons

Worked with a lot of people who didn't want to be there.

Mar 27, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

10. "The best opportunity I didn't realize I needed!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Grocery Outlet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's true that I've been here for only over a month, but in my experience you can tell a lot about a company in the first 30 days and whether it's a fit for you or not. Everyone has been very welcoming and the culture is very supportive. It was honestly the most direct and good interview process I've ever had. They were responsive and timely and honest. As I've been moving through my first month I'm finding more to really like, hence why I said what I said in the headline. They really want to empower you to take on anything you are interested in, even if it's not something assigned to you. If you show interest and have the drive and skills to give it a try, you'll most likely find support for your efforts. Looking forward to more good things to come. =)

Cons

If you happen to land in a position that interfaces with many departments like I do, it could feel a bit overwhelming initially getting to know who to contact for what, etc. But everyone is super nice so that makes it easier. It's not a huge matrixed organization like a Gap or Google, but it's also not a small office.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and as there is continued growth, be sure to keep focusing on how to best on-board new employees so that they can be the most successful. Additional structure to the on-boarding process that involves specific training vs. just getting to know the players would be super helpful. Definitely do everything you can to maintain the entrepreneurial spirit and culture as many companies lose that as they grow exponentially.

Mar 13, 2019 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grocery Outlet. We are so glad that you feel empowered to use your entrepreneurial spirit! We look forward to your contributions supporting the growth of our... More