Groendyke Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Groendyke Transport Chairman and CEO John D. Groendyke
John D. Groendyke

Pros
Cons
  • When some drivers say they have no cons, you can believe them (in 3 reviews)

• But again, no one in Pricing seems to care about that (in 3 reviews)

"So far so good"

Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming out of the oilfield to driving a truck was different. They tend to help me out with my on going family issues. Equipment for most part is in good condition.

Cons

Dispatch can be a joke. Don't know if they look at time or the fact do they know how fast we can drive. I should not be expected to do their job and my also. Would like to keep from having to dead head empty so many times. It's does not help me or Groendyke.

Feb 16, 2017 – Communications and Brand Development Manager

It's great to hear things are going well for you so far. As for your concerns with dispatch, we can certainly see where the situation you've described can be frustrating. We're always looking for ... More

2. "Live and Breath Groendyke - and thats still not enough"

Former Employee - Transportation Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Transportation Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Groendyke Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The facilities are decent at the Houston Terminal. The pay was decent. They do spend money flying you out to corporate in OK for training and summits. I developed some good relationships while there. They have competitive benefits (BCBS) and decent 401k matching 2.5 percent

Cons

be prepared to have zero personal time. As a Transportation Coordinator you are expected to rotate on calls. Typicaly, that shouldn't be too consuming, however, at the Houston Terminal, 'on call" was a full time job in itself with phone calls all throughout the night and then go to work the next day and from dusk till dawn on the weekends. You are given a company phone with a tiny 2x4 screen and if you dont have internet at home or a laptop/tablet etc, too bad, they will not supply that for you. They expect you to take calls and work efficiently from your tiny little phone, its absurd. Also, when you hear they are all about family and taking care of their employees, maybe at some terminals but I watched several birthdays while I was there and everyone got their own cake, when mine came around not one person even told me Happy Birthday.

Advice to Management

Hire an after hours person for the "on call' shift as it is a full time position. The dispatchers need sufficient rest just like the drivers do.

Apr 14, 2017 – Communications and Brand Development Manager

I am sorry to hear that you had such a difficult experience at our Houston terminal. The position of Transportation Coordinator has changed dramatically in recent years and has become an extremely ... More

3. "Delivery driver"

Current Employee - Refined Gasoline Hauler in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Refined Gasoline Hauler in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get paid by the load so you can make as much as you want in 12 to 14 hours.

Cons

Incentives aren't very good. Load count comes down to dispatch and their ability to plan ahead, traffic and wait times at loading racks.

Advice to Management

You have to take a large pay cut to "move up" to dispatcher.

"Driver"

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Granite City, IL
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Granite City, IL

Pros

1 word .. FAMILY ... Everyone treats you that way

Cons

To this date, I have none. If you need or suggest anything, Groendyke listens

Advice to Management

Keep the Door Open

Dec 5, 2016 – Communications and Brand Development Manager

Great to hear that you're enjoying your decision to join Groendyke Transport. Rest assured we will always have an open-door policy. If you ever need to talk with us about anything, we'll be here to ... More

"DRIVER"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Groendyke is good place to work for about 3 to 5 years that is when you max out on pay.last time it took 9years an 5months for a raise in pay.

Cons

Seniority does not mean a thing at Groendyke. New trucks and trailers are not issued by seniority / you are not dispatched by seniority vacation time is not issued by seniority there realy is no incentive to stay there if looking for a place to call home and build seniority Groendyke is not for you.

Advice to Management

Make Seniority important.

Oct 11, 2016 – Communications and Brand Development Manager

Thank you for your loyalty to Groendyke Transport. It’s always good to receive feedback from our long-time employees, and it sounds like you have some valid concerns. I encourage you to call ... More

"driver"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Grand Junction, CO
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Grand Junction, CO

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i like my yard mgr and dispatch

Cons

home office thinks they never do anything wrong even when its obvious they did

Advice to Management

dont make the enviorment in enid so bad everyone thinks they cant make any mistakes

Oct 11, 2016 – Communications and Brand Development Manager

It’s great to hear you’re enjoying working with the employees at your terminal. That comradery is critical to success, both for our company and our employees. We work to create that same rapport ... More

"Pretty good company"

Current Employee - Fuel Delivery Driver in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Fuel Delivery Driver in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Ok pay, family feel, flexible, open door, decent benefits, solid customer base, steady year round.

Cons

Favoritism, high turnover in dispatch, stagnant pay scale

Advice to Management

Lower pay for new hires, boost pay based on longevity, add sick days, raise pay every one or two years, train Dispatch on truck routing to maximize efficiency, not just run trucks back and forth all over town.

9. "Happy Employee"

Current Employee - Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Manager in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Groendyke Transport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Groendyke is a very reputable and has a very strong core value. Employee's are treated very good and respected.

Cons

Every company can improve on something. But this is one with very high standards

"Great Company, as long as things go well, but....."

Former Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Groendyke Transport full-time

Pros

I am a former employee. Even though I was fired, for something that I don't feel justified being terminated, I will be honest. You can make great money working for these people, while being treated well, for the most part. You are expected to be a top notch professional, but are paid accordingly. When I got hurt on the job, they had me on a plane within an hour, headed home, because they said I would be more comfortable healing at home. Overall, I had a very good time working for Groendyke.

Cons

When some drivers say they have no cons, you can believe them. Things were great, until I had 2 incidents withing 2 months, and was terminated. That's when I saw a side of Groendyke I didn't respect. They will lie about you, if it serves their purpose. Keep very good records of everything, just in case you have to prove anything later.

Even though I completely understood why they terminated me, their actions after that were very low class. Knowing full well that I have a Wife and 2 girls to provide for, they tried to deny my unemployment benefits, while I looked for other work. They flat-out lied about me, saying I had quit. I showed proof that they had deducted the full amount owed on a debt to the company, which was to be paid over time, 4 days before they say I had quit. If I had not saved that pay stub, which proved they were lying, it could have been very tough for me.

Even though I was fired, I honestly had no hard feelings, and would go back to work for them today, if given the chance, but their actions in trying to deny me my unemployment were very low class. I don't mind them deciding that they no longer wanted me, but to lie about me quitting, in an attempt to screw me out of help while seeking new employment, was completely unacceptable.

You can do extremely well working for Groendyke, but watch your back, and keep every little shred or proof of anything that happens, so they can't lie about you later.

I would still, even after being fired, have given them a 5 star rating, if not for their underhanded dealings I experienced after being fired.

Advice to Management

If you part ways with an employee, that is no justification to be anything less than honest. I could lie about Groendyke right now, but the code of honor I live by won't let that happen. When you act dishonestly in one aspect, it destroys your company's integrity overall. Be tough, but be fair, even after someone is no longer employed by you.

Jun 16, 2016 – Communications and Brand Development Manager

Thanks for your honest and candid feedback on your time at Groendyke Transport. Since you’ve left the company, our HR department has undergone a management change, and the Bensalem terminal has been ... More

"Truck driver"

Former Employee - Driver in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Driver in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Groendyke Transport (More than 5 years)

Pros

Home time, set days off, beneffits

Cons

Pascale below the local average