Groendyke Transport Employee Reviews about "groendyke"

Updated Oct 22, 2021

Found 29 of over 142 reviews

Groendyke Transport Chairman and CEO John D. Groendyke (no image)
John D. Groendyke

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "decent pay but a lot of manual labor(in 9 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with(in 9 reviews)
  • "They have competitive benefits (BCBS) and decent 401k matching 2.5 percent(in 5 reviews)
  • "You can make good money without having to being out on the road for weeks at a time.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Upper management actually seems to care about employees.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
  • "every terminal doesnt have the great terminal managers such as i had.(in 7 reviews)
  • "FORCED to work days off due to management's inept scheduling.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Higher than average insurance(in 4 reviews)
  • "Department director without the skills and education to lead a corporate training department.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Shop and tank wash’s get HUGE bonus as Christmas time.(in 2 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Sexual Orientation

This rating reflects the overall rating of Groendyke Transport and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "groendyke"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Driver

Dec 4, 2016 - Tanker Driver in Granite City, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

1 word .. FAMILY ... Everyone treats you that way

Cons

To this date, I have none. If you need or suggest anything, Groendyke listens

Communications and Brand Development Manager

Great to hear that you're enjoying your decision to join Groendyke Transport. Rest assured we will always have an open-door policy. If you ever need to talk with us about anything, we'll be here to listen.

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Poor Management Operations Department

Oct 22, 2021 - Mechanic in Jacksonville, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some Days Working For Groendyke You feel as you’re made the best decision when you were hired on

Cons

Poor Management and Communication from Both departments of Maintenance and Operations

Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking time to post your review. We would like to properly address your concerns regarding communication within those departments. Please give the Talent Office a call at 580-234-4663 to provide further details, we’d love to have the chance to change your "some days" feeling to "most days"!

3. 1.0
    Former Employee

The responses they give to these reviews are telling. “Yeah buts” and denial.

May 24, 2021 - Truck Driver in Fort Worth, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is absolutely NOTHING positive about this company that should make you want to apply here. I would drive a trash truck, a porta John truck, a septic truck before I ever went back to Groendyke.

Cons

Micro Management No Privacy Favoritism Horrible, confusing insurance If every trucking company were like this, there wouldn’t be a trucking industry.

7 people found this review helpful

Social Media Specialist

We do apologize for your experience with management at Groendyke, in fact we are currently going through a few management changes at the Fort Worth terminal. We are aware of some issues that have come to our attention and are consistently working on improving driver experience at our company. We recently conducted an anonymous driver experience survey and we offer an anonymous Ethics Hotline for our employees to report any issues they’re having. We also understand that health insurance can be confusing sometimes and we do have a section of orientation during training dedicated to health insurance as well as a free health advocate to help along the way.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Wasted several years of my life at Groendyke, hope this honest review helps

Dec 9, 2019 - District Manager in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not sure there are that many. The company leadership is stuck in the 1960’s and that makes it difficult to conduct business and address issues. They do stand by their commitment to safety and have made a good deal of improvements in their equipment

Cons

In my opinion they have several mid and senior level executives that are way over their head and do not possess the level of professionalism that is needed to successfully take the company to the next level. I would only recommend being a driver for Groendyke if you enjoy being micro managed and told what to do every moment of the day and having cameras and sensors all over your equipment so they can fire you much easier. As for being in management you can expect to be asked to meet ridiculous goals and to micro manage everyone under you. It’s important that you don’t have any problems with firing employees. Also, if customers had any idea of how they talk about them behind their backs and the way they are constantly trying to raise rates and exploit customers in anyway they can, they would be out of business in little time

4 people found this review helpful

Communications and Brand Development Manager

While we always appreciate candid feedback about our company, I believe it is important to point out several mischaracterizations in your review. First, Groendyke Transport could not lead the tank truck industry in safety, employ modern management techniques and principles or grow at our current pace if we were stuck in the 1960s. Groendyke has won the NTTC North American Safety Championship for best overall safety record and program in the nation an unmatched 8 times (unmatched with wins 6 and 7 as well). We remain one of the top 10 largest tank truck carriers and have been so for the past 30 years. Customer retention is above 97.5\%, and the company has grown 125\% since 2000. All employees receive personality assessments to determine their learning and working style, and multiple levels of management receive ongoing, intensive training and coaching in emotional intelligence (so-called soft skills) in the Enneagram and Predictive Index (Google either one to see how emotional intelligence is being employed successfully by leading firms in a variety of industries). The number of people fired by Groendyke Transport is also extremely low, and we have one of the best turnover and retention rates in the industry. So, I%E2%80%99m not sure why you think firings are so common.Our aggressive equipment replacement cycle not only enhances the driving experience of our drivers, it has allowed us to specify the latest active safety equipment on our trucks and trailers so that 85\% of our fleet is so equipped, enhancing our drivers%E2%80%99 ability to be the safest, most responsible motor carrier on the road today. This helps our drivers meet their highest calling: keep our people and the public as safe as possible. And we%E2%80%99re the only carrier in the entire US that has been granted an exemption to an FMCSA regulation for testing innovative safety equipment on its trailers, a strobing brake light proven to reduce rear-end accidents. Once again, not one of these facts would be possible for a company stuck in the 1960s.Finally, we have never had a district manager in Dallas, Texas. Our nearest terminal is in Fort Worth, and we%E2%80%99ve never had a district manager working out of that location, either.I hope this clears things up and sheds positive light on the 1600+ dedicated, hard-working professionals who continue to make Groendyke Transport a leader in its field.-Greg HodgenPresident & CEO

5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not Looking Good

Jan 7, 2019 - Professional Truck Driver
    Business Outlook

Pros

Have not seen any yet.

Cons

1 week into Groendyke taking over McKenzie Tank Lines and my truck has no registration or insurance card. Groendyke told McKenzie the drivers would keep what they currently have. I am now being told I will have no TV and if my refrigerator breaks its on me to fix it. The fridge is factory standard installed. Health insurance is beyond outrageous and definitly not in the employees best interest. So now we have no insurance.

Communications and Brand Development Manager

We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing these difficulties with the transition. We understand change isn’t easy, but it’s our intent to do what’s best for the driver and the company. We want to address your concerns, so we strongly encourage you to contact the Groendyke Talent Office at 580-234-4663.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Response from last review

Nov 9, 2017 - Driver in Fort Worth, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with groendyke for almost 10 years some bad times most Good Times but that is the way it is at a lot of companies for the most part I've been very happy with this company if you do your job the way you're asked in the way you're supposed to there is no problem with the management they want things done by procedure as it should be

Cons

I have no problems with groendyke in a hole they are great company and trying to grow the only problem is that you have some drivers they want to do things their way and that's not how it works policies and procedures are set for a reason they need to be followed you can't do it your way just because it may be easier for you management has to think about everybody within the company not just a few if people would just do how they're trained and follow procedure there wouldn't be any problems

1 person found this review helpful

Communications and Brand Development Manager

We’re glad to hear you’re enjoying your career at Groendyke, and we appreciate the feedback. As always, if you need anything, feel free to discuss with your terminal management or give our Talent Office a call at 580-237-4663. We’re here to help.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

It is a boys club

Oct 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Pros are the drivers! I enjoyed every single one of them! I had a good relationship with all of them! That was the only good thing about Groendyke Transport.

Cons

If like on going stress, always being wrong, not being appreciated, getting screamed at like a child, sexually harassed, working in a hostile work environment then this is place for you! If you are not part of the boys club, a jock, or drink consistently then you will go no where. They claim they are a family oriented company, that is the biggest line of garbage, they don't care about your family as long as they are not missing holidays, school functions, sporting events with their children or grandchildren then all is fine.

Communications and Brand Development Manager

Thank you for your feedback. The description of some of your grievances is concerning. At Groendyke Transport, we take sexual harassment, discrimination and hostile work environment complaints very seriously. We do not condone such actions and investigate claims of their occurrence thoroughly. Please call 580-234-4663 and ask to speak with one of our Talent Office Specialists to discuss your situation.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Driver Beware

May 9, 2017 - Driver
    Business Outlook

Pros

Adaquate amenities at terminal. Good tractors for the most part. Trailers can leave a bit to be desired. The shop and mechanics were some of the best I've been around and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

That sick feeling in your stomach when you're hit with the truth that the company you work for isn't exactly what they portray themselves to be. Pay is well below average in comparison to the competiton in this area. Benefits are expensive. There are better plans out there from competitor insurance companies at a significant lower cost to your employees. BCBS is a group of many independent agencies so the specs and cost of care vary on the company servicing your area. And isn't the entire company covered by BCBS of Oklahoma? As much as I love Oklahoma, it is traditionally always in the bottom quartile in health care. Coming in at the 47th spot in national rankings last time I checked. I won't paint the entire management at Groendyke with the same broad brush, but the majority of managers I worked with have not only drank the red kool-aid, they've been baptized in it. Unfortunately, i came to expect lip service and half truths as the norm. If you come to work here, keep records of everything and always always always follow up.

Communications and Brand Development Manager

We appreciate the feedback, and we’d like to clear the air on some misconceptions regarding Groendyke Transport’s benefits. Simply put, facts consistently show our benefits are among the best in the industry. Groendyke's health plan is annually benchmarked against more than 200 of the best companies in the business and consistently lands in the top 20 percent (in cost to the employee AND benefit level). While, unfortunately, your comment about Oklahoma's health ranking in comparison to other states is accurate, it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the GT health plans. GT's health plan provides access to the Blue Card network, giving GT employees access to THE LARGEST network of healthcare providers in every state (not just Oklahoma) at the deepest discounts! Also, Groendyke provides three plan options so you can choose the plan at the right price with the right benefits for your situation. This is never an easy task, especially given today's healthcare market, but the GT health plan consistently ranks in the top 25 percent of all transportation companies. Our senior management and talent office work tirelessly to ensure our benefit plans meet the needs of all our employees. As a company, we also greatly value our drivers and are constantly working on ways to improve our turnover and retention. We pay careful attention to where we stand in the industry in terms of drivers’ pay, and according to major industry associations’ regular research, including data from American Trucking Associations, our drivers consistently rank as some of the highest paid in the industry. We believe all of them aspire to be the best of the best in the industry, and many of them are. The incident with management you described does not reflect the feelings or the values of Groendyke Transport’s leadership. We believe in being honest and up-front with our employees and valuing them as individuals, not numbers. To make sure this attitude is reflected across the board, we would greatly appreciate an opportunity to discuss the details of your experience with you. If you would, please call one of our Talent Office Specialists at 580-234-4663.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

So far so good

Feb 13, 2017 - Class A CDL Driver/HazMat Tanker in Tulsa, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coming out of the oilfield to driving a truck was different. They tend to help me out with my on going family issues. Equipment for most part is in good condition.

Cons

Dispatch can be a joke. Don't know if they look at time or the fact do they know how fast we can drive. I should not be expected to do their job and my also. Would like to keep from having to dead head empty so many times. It's does not help me or Groendyke.

Communications and Brand Development Manager

It's great to hear things are going well for you so far. As for your concerns with dispatch, we can certainly see where the situation you've described can be frustrating. We're always looking for opportunities to improve, so I would encourage you to contact your Region Director to discuss the situation. If you have any issues, we are here to help. If you'd like, you can also call 580-234-4663 and ask for a member of the Groendyke Talent Office.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

DRIVER

Oct 11, 2016 - Truck Driver in Tulsa, OK
    Business Outlook

Pros

Groendyke is good place to work for about 3 to 5 years that is when you max out on pay.last time it took 9years an 5months for a raise in pay.

Cons

Seniority does not mean a thing at Groendyke. New trucks and trailers are not issued by seniority / you are not dispatched by seniority vacation time is not issued by seniority there realy is no incentive to stay there if looking for a place to call home and build seniority Groendyke is not for you.

Communications and Brand Development Manager

Thank you for your loyalty to Groendyke Transport. It’s always good to receive feedback from our long-time employees, and it sounds like you have some valid concerns. I encourage you to call 580-234-4663 and ask for a member of the Groendyke Talent Office. We’d love to discuss this issue with you and work toward a solution.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 Reviews