Grosvenor Casinos "casino" Reviews | Glassdoor

Grosvenor Casinos Employee Reviews about "casino"

Updated Nov 30, 2019

2.8
Grosvenor Casinos CEO  John O’Reilly
John O’Reilly
Pros
  • "Good team nights out nothing good about working for Grosvenor anymore(in 19 reviews)

• "Progress to different roles in your casino or other locations(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "No social life long night shifts(in 24 reviews)

• "Take away standard company benefits sold at interview to be absorbed by minimum wage increase(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "casino"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Hope you like shift work"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist

I have been working at Grosvenor Casinos full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team in the casino. Free hot drinks/soft drinks

Cons

Due to the nature of the industry there is shift work involved. (Early mornings and overnight) On your own for long periods of time. Long gaps between breaks if nobody can break you. Dealing with customers who might be drunk or angry because you refused them.

Grosvenor Casinos2019-11-30
  2. "Its going from bad to worse."

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Walsall, England

I have been working at Grosvenor Casinos full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

None when compared to other operators or even comparable roles in other sectors

Cons

Horrific hours, lowest paying "big name" in casino industry, huge cuts to staff numbers, most of the experience has left from the retail (land based casinos) side of the business and gone to competitors

Advice to Management

Perhaps actually start learning from previous mistakes.... this is a repeat of 8 years ago with wages low, staff stripped back and no investment in the actual casinos themselves. Staff are taken for granted, paid near minimum wage and all benefits striped off them. No rates for working horrific hours and shift patterns, no rewards for the main body of staff (xmas bonuses gone and even the TMRS now isnt paid to staff, it goes to a club fund). Theres no time for real training, skill levels are dropping and people are expected to carry the additional workload where staff numbers have been cut back heavily. Ive worked in multiple casinos for grosvenor, with more then 10 years service and ive watched this company drive itself into this position. Every big event like the recession, purchasing Gala and overstretching themselves and now as attendence drops and some of the casinos sit there empty at times and the ones at base level having to take the hit and keep the wheels turning. 25000 staff hours cut out over xmas 2018/jan2019 and people are expected to perform the workload of two people, no time to properly deliver training or role development unless you do it as a course in your own time. Its unrecognisable from what it was 15 years ago, and not in a good way.

Grosvenor Casinos2019-11-19
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Croupier"

Current Employee - Casino Dealer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Grosvenor Casinos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It used to be one of the top casino company n the UK. I'm sorry this is the only pros I can see

Cons

Reckless company looking only at their profit. Wages are ridiculously low . Not staff meal ,no guaranteed breaks every set amount of time on table. Let s say managers don't leave because they get paid well enough to stay .other than that I really hope it 'll become the company I used to work for.

Advice to Management

Don't focus on silly little things .and be careful because if all dealers leave YOU ARE GOING TO BE THE ONE DEALING THE GAMES !

Grosvenor Casinos2019-08-28
  5. "12 years + employment for Grosvenor Casinos"

Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at Grosvenor Casinos part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

London salary is not bad considering tips are decent. Flexible work place with several opportunities to expand skills in many departments.

Cons

High level of staff turnover causing the casino to be short staffed (in many departments) quite often. That implies that during busy days it can be hard work with few breaks and several customer complaints.

Grosvenor Casinos2019-06-25

"If I could give 0 I would!"

Former Employee - Receptionist in London, England

I worked at Grosvenor Casinos full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nothing, I would not recommend Grosvenor to anyone.

Cons

The lowest paid casino operator in the UK. Greed has taken over.

Advice to Management

Hurry up and sell the company so a responsible employer can take over.

Grosvenor Casinos2019-07-29
  7. "Good company"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Host in Hull, England

I worked at Grosvenor Casinos full-time for less than a year

Pros

Progress to different roles in your casino or other locations.

Cons

Minimum wage whether you work days or night shift till 6am.

Grosvenor Casinos2019-06-18

"Working for Grosvenor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Grosvenor Casinos full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good team nights out nothing good about working for Grosvenor anymore

Cons

A casino use to be a good place to work with good benefits which have been stripped away for the greed of the shareholders. Lots of good and experienced staff have lost their jobs.. lots of unsociable hours round a 24 hour clock 7 days a week for next to nothing.. same hourly rate no matter the time of day

Advice to Management

You might as well close the business now all the good staff with experience have gone

Grosvenor Casinos2019-01-27

"A disgrace to the casino industry, sadly no different from the other big casino chains operating in the UK"

Former Employee - Casino Dealer in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Grosvenor Casinos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working in the casino industry is challenging but it is also rewarding and exciting. However Grosvenor makes a disgrace of the croupier profession. There are pros like the regular breaks, which become far less regular when the clubs are shortstaffed due to the constant high turnover. Shift swapping is fairly easy. Club management is competent and experienced for the most part. You are guaranteed your holiday time off.

Cons

Dealer pay is appalling and gives no incentive to work a stressful night shift job with limited progression options. The procedure for promoting dealers is ridiculous. However if you are fortunate enough to get promoted the difference in the pay between a trainee dealer and a Pit boss in the provincial clubs at the moment is £1.40 /hour. Terrible work life balance. Head office full of people with no actual experience in the gaming industry trickling down ridiculous decisions. Staff morale is at an all time low as no improvement can be seen in the foreseeable future. The venues are in a ridiculous state for the most part and in desperate need of refurbishment. Senior management keeps approving ridiculous investments like android tablets to display the minimums and maximums, while can't shell enough to fix the A/C.

Advice to Management

Have somebody competent in higher management. Listen to the advice from middle management and staff.

Grosvenor Casinos2018-10-20
  10. "Good experience but fortunate with casino"

Former Employee - Dealer in London, England

I worked at Grosvenor Casinos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for the time Fortunate to work in the casino i did (Gloucester Road) Fantastic Inspectors (Not sure whjat they're called now!)

Cons

Like most casinos too buddy, buddy...if you get on with certain people your rota will be a breeze. No chance of promotion from dealer due to favourtism. Friends of mine with 15 years + still dealing whilst others get to sit in the chair.

Advice to Management

Enforce metriocracy on middle management. It effects staff morale.

Grosvenor Casinos2018-08-13

"Used to be great.......not any more"

Current Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Grosvenor Casinos full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of great personalities in our team Good GM ( atm ) Friendly atmosphere at work in the casino with customers have a laugh Clear progression plan if you want to move up career ladder

Cons

The company seems to change its mind what direction it wants to go in all the time At the moment we have to push online gaming - they’ve no interest in the clubs futures & I think it’s looking bleak . No investment for refurbishing our clubs which are tired Not interested to listen to our views & people are frightened to even say there views. General managers have no real authority now & can’t make even small decisions Don't even feel safe to speak out about anything you don't agree with never ever felt like this in 13 years used to love my job . Lost all are benefits & so no real reason to work unsociable hours

Advice to Management

It's the small stuff that matters to us little people in the clubs Live the company values instead off just expecting us to

Grosvenor Casinos2018-01-31