Group Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Group Health CEO Scott Armstrong
Scott Armstrong

Pros
  • Great work life balance - my department stressed this (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits, great hours, great staff (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management did not care about middle managers unless you were on their favorite list (in 18 reviews)

• Those that do the actual patient care is not heard (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Dynamic & Wonderful Organization"

Pros

While the Group Health's mission & values, as well as benefits, are exemplary, what made the difference for me were the people at Group Health. I respected and admired many colleagues both inside and outside of my department. Some of us had the opportunity to work from home and/or onsite at different clinics, helping immensely with commuting times and work/life balance.

Cons

Like many healthcare organizations, there are big changes happening with Group Health. The Kaiser Permanente proposal and GHQ move to brand new offices in Renton are both exciting yet require change management. Communication from leadership is readily available but it may take some 'digging around' if you miss something in a meeting, brownbag session, via email or on the Connection intranet page.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees and encourage internal partnership with HR to ensure that everyone feels informed, supported and valued throughout the changes to come. Continue to support the mission of the company and represent all members of the diverse communities that you serve. Continue to mix and mingle with your teams and encourage your direct reports to do the same. In my experience at Group Health, a "hello" and "welcome to the team" from coworkers in and out of my department made me feel at home.

2. "Good employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at the administrative office at South Lake Union. Beautiful office and location. Job was in accounting. Helpful, fun and knowledgeable team members.

Cons

Management in my department was not very bright. Been in their jobs for too long. You had to know the right people to get ahead.

"Good non-profit for good-do'ers"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had a lot of opportunities to grow in many areas within my field. Most people were kind with a strong sense of mission. Overall a good organization to start your career if you're a fast learner. Although I had other opportunities in the past, I stayed for a long time because of friends at work.

Cons

Group Health could not change fast enough with the times and was acquired by Kaiser. In the last few years was high turnover, low morale, high stress and brain drain. Many friends left, their positions were not back filled, left us to pick up the work. Eventually several more of us left for jobs nearby for better growth opportunities, which is abundant in the puget sound.

Advice to Management

I think Kaiser change will be good. For several years, not much was done keep the smartest people. Some managers run their org like it's 1979. You need a full turnaround by a new set of leaders.

4. "great benifits"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great starting pay & benefits if you can get time off work to utilize them

Cons

management rarely provides feedback and it's almost impossible to get time off work to use the medical & dental benefits you do receive

Advice to Management

more one on ones on a consistent basis

5. "Executive Assistant to the VP Finance Operations"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, people believe in what they do, they work hard to keep their employees. I had a great boss and it was easy to become friends with coworkers. Salaried employees can enjoy freedom of when to arrive and leave. They strive to help their employees feel valued and grow professionally. Management is very open to suggestions for professional development including being able to take online learning during work hours as long as your work still is done. Generous vacation policy that grows each year of employment. Understanding about family life.

Cons

Older company with traditional view of working enrivonment, this means they do not allow casual dress and are hesitant to embrace flexible schedules and working remotely. Especially challenging for a downtown Seattle company where people live far from work. Long commutes home meant people often did not socialize after work. It is an older workforce which can be hard for younger millenials.

Advice to Management

Embrace modern trends to attract younger employees who may have innovative ideas.

Group Health Response

Feb 16, 2017 – HR Team

Thank you so much for your review and feedback. We truly value this input and as you can imagine, it is something that has been identified as an area of opportunity for us, especially in attracting ... More

6. "The work environment in the laboratory."

Former Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Group Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Group Health offers good work schedule,good benefits.patients are friendly One has the opportunity to learn something new and the opportunity to grow each day.

Cons

Coworkers are not friendly.Managers should not give the people that they supervise the opportunity to talk about each other,and if they do they should not be listened to.

Advice to Management

Do not make people who work together enemies,have a more friendly work environment.

"Should have, would have, could have..."

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are excellent. If you're union you get even better benefits.

Cons

I was only there for six weeks. I was poorly trained for my position and couldn't meet the expectations of my co-workers and manager.

Advice to Management

Have a training plan in place for new employees.

8. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Tukwila, WA

Pros

Great benefits, great hours, great staff. There is a ton of opportunity to move within this company. Very happy employee

Cons

I don't have any cons, i enjoy being an employee for this company. From a member perspective, it would be nice if they offered a clinic that was open later for employees who work 9-5.

Advice to Management

Continue being great. You are all very encouraging and so willing to help. Please open a clinic for us that can't make it to the doctors during work hours.

Group Health Response

Jan 21, 2017 – HR Team

Thank you for your feedback! Good news if you will be moving to the new Renton location, we are hoping to have an employee clinic there! More to come!

9. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Patient Accounts in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Patient Accounts in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Salaries and good coworkers. Some people get to work from home.

Cons

Hard to advance. Sometimes hard to get respect about what you do for a living.

Advice to Management

Stop repeating the same mistakes. Make a difference and listen to your staff.

"10 Years After Moving On I Am Now Looking To Go Back"

Former Employee - Applications Systems Consultant III in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Applications Systems Consultant III in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

At the time I didn't realize it, my career was in its infancy, and realistically so was I! Now that I have something to compare, I can see that despite what some may say, GHC is extraordinarily organized, efficient, and "mature" in its processes and procedures. Just the simple act of deploying a new application icon to the desktops went through a pretty rigorous testing process - I'm not talking about functionality of the software, I'm referring to just putting the icon on people's workstations.

In terms of big picture they were leaps and bounds ahead of others in the region. Bad decisions that were identified and called out as bad for any number of reasons, were stopped and reevaluated. Sometimes the consequences of not doing it outweighed any risks or concerns about moving forward and it was started again but that was the exception, and realistically there are some things that just have to be done, period. I cannot recall a single instance where something was known by administration and management to be the wrong way to go but was implemented anyway, simply because a doctor complained loud enough to the CIO. It seems common sense to IT folks that you don't implement something you know won't work well, is incompatible or soon to be obsolete. Sadly, common sense is dangerously scarce in at least 3 health systems in Western Washington. One prominent hospital in King County is so bad about allowing Physicians to dictate bad business decisions, I will be surprised if they remain profitable over next decade. They are not likely to fold altogether, they are too large with a somewhat isolated patient population for that. But I see a tough road ahead if they don't make some cultural changes in the very near future.

All internal processes like Change Management, Procedure Groups, Staff Training, Procedure Manuals, these all contribute to largely successful IT initiatives. Since leaving I have had nothing but frustration with projects, day to day support, lack of ownership in the service lines, and some truly astounding break downs of communication.

I was consistently rewarded for the extra effort i put in with GHC. I received regular raises, at least once a year, and more often than not it was twice a year. I received cash bonuses a couple times as well - these were for completion of large projects (I was a "worker bee", not a PM). One year, after 5 years in my position, I had basically maxed out so other than an annual COLA I likely wouldn't see any raises. Rather "gee sorry, but keep up the good work" my manager had my job reclassified to access a higher pay band - a classification that as I understand it had not previously been applied to Application Support Staff. It was reserved for positions more akin to System Architects and Programmers. Other than 0-2% COLAs with my current place (with 0% accounting for 1/3 of my years there thus far) , I have gotten 1 raise of 2%. And I think they were forced to give me that due to promoting multiple people after only 2-3 years all around that same time. My manager is great (no complaints there, I got very lucky in that regard). I think he recognized how ridiculous my situation was and did what little he could about it.

I could go on, but I think my Novella is probably good enough, way more than anyone wants to read I'm sure :-) I only have 2 disclaimers to add. First, it has been about 10 years since I left for another job. Its possible everything is drastically different now. The other is to keep in mind I was in a salaried non union position, so things like raises and promotions are handled very differently than union jobs.

Cons

Large geographic region so when you are on a project you have to go up and down the I-5 corridor for site evaluations, in person staff training, etc. Its not frequent though, and really its probably a good thing for customers to see their support folks face to face once in awhile!

Because there are a lot of union staff, there is also a lot of seniority issues in the departments. While this did not directly affect me, it did lead to much frustration at times. Especially when long time employees were just waiting for retirement and didn't want to learn anything new or threw up roadblocks just to be contrary. Again, not a frequent issue, but endlessly frustrating to deal with.

Not very heavy hitting cons huh? Hence my 5 star rating and recommendation to most everyone that they should at least think about giving GHC a chance - believe me when I say it could be SO much worse!

Advice to Management

If things have changed from what I said above..... Go back to what you were doing 10 years ago! I will never stop being thankful to GHC for getting me started in my career and perhaps someday I will find my way back there again! :-)