Group Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Group Health CEO Scott Armstrong
Scott Armstrong

Pros
  • Great work life balance - my department stressed this (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits, great hours, great staff (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management did not care about middle managers unless you were on their favorite list (in 18 reviews)

• Those that do the actual patient care is not heard (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Dynamic & Wonderful Organization"

Pros

While the Group Health's mission & values, as well as benefits, are exemplary, what made the difference for me were the people at Group Health. I respected and admired many colleagues both inside and outside of my department. Some of us had the opportunity to work from home and/or onsite at different clinics, helping immensely with commuting times and work/life balance.

Cons

Like many healthcare organizations, there are big changes happening with Group Health. The Kaiser Permanente proposal and GHQ move to brand new offices in Renton are both exciting yet require change management. Communication from leadership is readily available but it may take some 'digging around' if you miss something in a meeting, brownbag session, via email or on the Connection intranet page.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees and encourage internal partnership with HR to ensure that everyone feels informed, supported and valued throughout the changes to come. Continue to support the mission of the company and represent all members of the diverse communities that you serve. Continue to mix and mingle with your teams and encourage your direct reports to do the same. In my experience at Group Health, a "hello" and "welcome to the team" from coworkers in and out of my department made me feel at home.

2. "Billing Specialist"

I worked at Group Health full-time

Pros

the Salary was above average for this position in the area. The benefits were better than most companies in the area as well.

Cons

Environment changed - they went to a system where every persons desk had to be set up exactly the same - they literally came around and used tape to mark your desk where your keyboard, 10 key, box of tissues, everything went. NO THANKS!

Advice to Management

Treat employees as individuals, not like nameless robots who cant think for themselves. When you trust in your employees and treat the like people you will get better results

"Good non-profit for good-do'ers"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had a lot of opportunities to grow in many areas within my field. Most people were kind with a strong sense of mission. Overall a good organization to start your career if you're a fast learner. Although I had other opportunities in the past, I stayed for a long time because of friends at work.

Cons

Group Health could not change fast enough with the times and was acquired by Kaiser. In the last few years was high turnover, low morale, high stress and brain drain. Many friends left, their positions were not back filled, left us to pick up the work. Eventually several more of us left for jobs nearby for better growth opportunities, which is abundant in the puget sound.

Advice to Management

I think Kaiser change will be good. For several years, not much was done keep the smartest people. Some managers run their org like it's 1979. You need a full turnaround by a new set of leaders.

4. "great benifits"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great starting pay & benefits if you can get time off work to utilize them

Cons

management rarely provides feedback and it's almost impossible to get time off work to use the medical & dental benefits you do receive

Advice to Management

more one on ones on a consistent basis

5. "Executive Assistant to the VP Finance Operations"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, people believe in what they do, they work hard to keep their employees. I had a great boss and it was easy to become friends with coworkers. Salaried employees can enjoy freedom of when to arrive and leave. They strive to help their employees feel valued and grow professionally. Management is very open to suggestions for professional development including being able to take online learning during work hours as long as your work still is done. Generous vacation policy that grows each year of employment. Understanding about family life.

Cons

Older company with traditional view of working enrivonment, this means they do not allow casual dress and are hesitant to embrace flexible schedules and working remotely. Especially challenging for a downtown Seattle company where people live far from work. Long commutes home meant people often did not socialize after work. It is an older workforce which can be hard for younger millenials.

Advice to Management

Embrace modern trends to attract younger employees who may have innovative ideas.

Group Health Response

Feb 16, 2017 – HR Team

Thank you so much for your review and feedback. We truly value this input and as you can imagine, it is something that has been identified as an area of opportunity for us, especially in attracting ... More

6. "The work environment in the laboratory."

Former Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Group Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Group Health offers good work schedule,good benefits.patients are friendly One has the opportunity to learn something new and the opportunity to grow each day.

Cons

Coworkers are not friendly.Managers should not give the people that they supervise the opportunity to talk about each other,and if they do they should not be listened to.

Advice to Management

Do not make people who work together enemies,have a more friendly work environment.

7. "Research Associate"

I have been working at Group Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule for research associates
    Intellectually stimulating work

Cons

Positive or negative experience is team dependent
    Leadership is not interested in investing in current staff

8. "Good Company to work for"

I have been working at Group Health full-time

Pros

Great benefits, small enough company to still be fun to work at, open and welcoming atmosphere. Great new campus in Renton, too!

Cons

The investment in IT solutions for Disaster Recovery has not been sufficient over the years. Hopeful that with Kaiser coming on board that will improve.

Advice to Management

Management for me has been great and I've had several different managers here already. All were supportive and just... good. Advice: keep it up.

"Should have, would have, could have..."

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are excellent. If you're union you get even better benefits.

Cons

I was only there for six weeks. I was poorly trained for my position and couldn't meet the expectations of my co-workers and manager.

Advice to Management

Have a training plan in place for new employees.

10. "Good employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at the administrative office at South Lake Union. Beautiful office and location. Job was in accounting. Helpful, fun and knowledgeable team members.

Cons

Management in my department was not very bright. Been in their jobs for too long. You had to know the right people to get ahead.