Group Management Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Kahoe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales Representative"

I have been working at Group Management Services full-time

Pros

I love the work environment at GMS. Everyone is always very positive and makes it fun to be at work.

Cons

I wish cloud days were more available for reps. Other than that the compensation, benefits, company car and gas card are all such great perks!

Advice to Management

The sales manager is awesome! Is there when you need him and always is willing to help push you and make you a better representative.

2. "Perfect fit"

Current Employee - Benefits Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Benefits Sales Representative

I have been working at Group Management Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uncapped commission allowing the individual to determine their own success and financial gain. Excellent work/life balance provides simultaneous personal and professional growth. The culture and managerial aptitude invoke pride, a high functioning work ethic, and excitement towards providing clients with the most successful business solutions. Executives and VPs possess and exude an entrepreneurial mindset which drives business growth and innovation in both daily operations and big picture aspirations.

Cons

Individuals that want/need supervisors who believe in a micromanagement philosophy will not thrive here. Those who show patience during the training process and a willingness to learn from their surroundings/coworkers will reap the benefits available to them.

Advice to Management

Continue what you've been doing. The fruition of growth and success is determined by the executive leadership and how they present/carry themselves to those around them. The leadership currently in place does a wonderful job at realizing the weight their presence and work ethic carriers by ensuring that the future leaders of this company have successful examples to model themselves after.

"Pay for performance, not a heartbeat..."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Group Management Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company benefits stretch far past healthcare and 401k. You are treated like an adult to perform like an adult. The autonomy to grow your business like an entrepreneur is backed by help from leadership team that has been with the company for over a decade. You have an opportunity to be a part of the organic growth that is the foundation of GMS.

Cons

You have to be patient but persistent to achieve the financial success you desire.
    You are going to get told "no" or be put on a prospect's "back burner" more times than you have in any other job.
    Your financial patience can not be "millennial".

Advice to Management

Continue to remain engaging and helpful to those in the organization.
    Continue to remain humble yet determined.
    Continue the thoughtful organic growth.

"Highly disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Group Management Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. The only reason to stick at this job is the people. Sales side during their call blocks is hilarious with the singing, and joke telling.

Cons

Where to begin is the question. To go along with the great people, you do have people that want to see you fail, and unfortunately it's Management and some of the people that have been there a long time. You will see a high turn over ratio both on the sales side and HR side. Management on the HR side is very sketchy. They are never around so you do have to rely on co workers. Sales side at least the manager is there to help, but watch out for the temper. Now GMS is going to comeback saying they were #2 rated Employer blah blah blah. We had to fill out the survey 3 different times, due to the fact they didn't like the answers and felt the employees were portraying a bad look on GMS. They would rather hide the problems, due to friendships, and roommate situations, than correct the problem.
    The incentive they will say is awesome. WRONG! You don't get paid till the company runs payroll and then you have to wait 2 months to get it. So, better have some saving for the first 6 months if you are in sales. If you go the HR route, be prepared to have cruddy clients, and promises from the sales reps to those clients you have to fulfill. And if you don't and the client terms, be prepared to be written up, and scolded for that. Be aware of moles on the HR side as well. Favorites are definitely played and will comeback to haunt you if you say something to the wrong person. So take my word, give it a couple days and you will see everything I talked about be rebutted by GMS.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror, it's not always your employees that are wrong. Take some responsibility.

Group Management Services Response

May 15, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

As GMS continues to grow and expand, we do realize the success of our company stems from our employees hard work and dedication. We truly value our employees and have chosen our management team so we... More

"Fun and positive work environment!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Richfield, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Richfield, OH

I have been working at Group Management Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GMS has a positive atmosphere and creates a fun and supportive work environment for all of it's employees. Each day is different and I am constantly feeling challenged in my position. I truly enjoy coming to work every day and being a part of such a great team and company.

Cons

The information and training can be overwhelming at first if you are unfamiliar with the industry.

"Benefit Coordinator"

Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Richfield, OH
    Current Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Richfield, OH

I have been working at Group Management Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work from home flexibility, year end bonus

Cons

poor management, poorly distributed workload

Group Management Services Response

Jan 26, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

I am sorry you are not enjoying your employment with GMS. In 2016 we were ranked #2 on “Best Employers in Ohio”, thanks to our satisfied employees. We do have an open door policy at GMS so feel free... More

"With growth comes opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Group Management Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

on-going training, open door policy, small biz feel for big biz environment, the people, positive challenges, compensation, freedom, work life balance

Cons

reading negative reviews on this amazing company on Glassdoor... doesn't make sense!

Advice to Management

please keep doing what you're doing. the positive atmosphere in all the offices is contagious and welcoming.

"Great career opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Group Management Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great compensation package. The residual income potential is very high. GMS also pays for our gym memberships, cell phone, expense account and they offer a great healthcare and 401(k) program.
    - GMS is an industry leader so it's easy to be passionate and confident about the product we sell.
    - The sales structure is proven to work so if you follow the system, use your resources and put in the work, you will be successful.
    - The culture is competitive and fun, work hard play hard mentality.

Cons

- There is a lot of cold calling and a lot of rejection...like most sales positions.
    - It can be overwhelming for a new rep because there is so much to learn.

Advice to Management

Continue to work closely with new reps to help gain a new client early in their tenure so they can get a taste of success and build their confidence.

"A great place to spend every day"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Richfield, OH
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Richfield, OH

I have been working at Group Management Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance. No micromanaging. Great team. Mutual respect and courtesy. A fun time! They dont have cubicles more of an open study hall where you are encouraged to talk and ask questions. Everyone here knows the work they need to do and they get in and out

Cons

Health Benefits could be a bit better with deductibles. Other than that the pros make up for any cons that come up!

"Postive, Fun environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Group Management Services full-time

Pros

Fun contests and events in the office
    Everyone is super helpful and friendly
    Relaxed atmosphere, yet motivating to do your best work

Cons

Don't get health benefits until after 90-days of employment